UCLA VS USC for Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMDKatie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I just finished my 2 year at a community college and I've been accepted to UCLA and USC. I was wondering which one would you think it's best for Pre-Med courses and also for not ruining my GPA (I have a 4.0 right now) . My major is economics btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. So I just finished my 2 year at a community college and I've been accepted to UCLA and USC. I was wondering which one would you think it's best for Pre-Med courses and also for not ruining my GPA (I have a 4.0 right now) . My major is economics btw.
USC will be more expensive. Econ at UCLA may be an impacted major. You better check that out. Pre-med at UCLA are GPA killers. Not sure about USC. Have you taken any pre-med courss in CC?

Last edited:
USC is pretty challenging as well on top of being insanely expensive. Their economics major isn't through Marshall correct? Are you taking out loans for these schools or are your parents paying?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how the pre-health advising is at USC, but it is non-existent at UCLA. Make sure to seek out mentors early on so you know how to build a competitive application from the get-go. I learned almost everything I know about the admissions process through SDN, but it was really really important to have a couple of mentors as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the cheaper school (UCLA).

Both schools have intense pre-med courses.

Reactions: 1 users
Both have nearly identical programs and classes; both have similar student bodies as well.

Go to the cheaper one if you are in state (UCLA) but also remember that UCLA has a "quarter" system vs a semester system. Classes are easier to register for at USC as well, so if these things are worth the cost go to USC but you're talking over twice as much.

I'd vote UCLA. Much cheaper, pretty certain it's a similar course difficulty level, and although there's no pre-med health adviser, you're most likely going to be figuring a lot of things out on your own anyhow. Geffen is also right next to campus so it's convenient for volunteering, shadowing, research and doing other clinical-focused activities. I'm not sure how close USC is to County or Keck's private hospital.

I have a friend doing pre-med at UCLA. He is managing the intense competition well but feels overworked. The competition at UCLA is extreme for pre-med! I am unsure if this is the case at USC, but UCLA students are extremely determined. Many of those students will be subject to grade deflation, however, their MCAT scores are probably VERY high!

Good luck :joyful:

My experience was a bit different since I was a post-bacc at USC, but here's some input.

If you're just taking Bio, Chem, OChem, Phys, BioChem, USC isn't too difficult, esp if you're only doing 2 a semester. Chem105A tends to be a weeder course for some reason. It's not designed that way and the Profs are really great, but you tend to get a big round of washes 2-3 weeks after the first exam.

For sake of $$$, I took Biochem at UCLA Extension. It cost 25% of 1 USC semester for 3 UCLA Quarters. It's only 1 night a week, has no lab and the instructors (well 2 of mine) seemed only there for the paycheck and were not very helpful outside the classroom.

For ECs, I volunteered both in the ED at LAC+USC and through UCLA Care Extenders and did research at Children's Hospital which is part of USC. My lab director used to be at UCLA and her lab had 3 undergrad volunteers. Basically, options are there at both regardless of institution.

In terms of intangibles, UCLA beats USC in terms of cost, but USC beats UCLA in terms of pre-med competition and football team.

Reactions: 1 users
USC will be more expensive. Econ at UCLA may be an impacted major. You better check that out. Pre-med at UCLA are GPA killers. Not sure about USC. Have you taken any pre-med courss in CC?
I already got accepted to both

Got A in microbiology

Members don't see this ad :)
Got A in microbiology
Well then, is cost an issue for you? If you have to take out loans, then it would be in your best interest to keep them as low as possible so you don't end up with massive med-school loans on top of undergrad loans. UCLA will be cheaper.

USC is pretty challenging as well on top of being insanely expensive. Their economics major isn't through Marshall correct? Are you taking out loans for these schools or are your parents paying?
Loans

Well then, is cost an issue for you? If you have to take out loans, then it would be in your best interest to keep them as low as possible so you don't end up with massive med-school loans on top of undergrad loans. UCLA will be cheaper.
But I'm scared that UCLA would ruin my GPA. I have 3.85

Honestly I'd go for the school that will give you the best GPA. At the end of the day those are both great schools, but GPA is king. It saddens me to know people in high school that went to different colleges (one very intense and selective in terms of pre-med, the other easier and less selective for money reasons) that have drastically different cycle results even though they have around the same MCAT and have always been neck and neck in terms of intelligence and work ethic. One got a 3.5 which was pretty good at that undergrad (BU, known for grade deflation) while the other got a 3.9 at UMass Amherst. BU grad is reapplying, Amherst is matriculating into Penn Med. GPA is KING

I have no idea how difficult pre-med classes are at SC by comparison. But the cost alone should make you think twice about going there. You're looking at over $35K difference per year. That's $70K more to go to SC if you can complete everything in 2 years, over $100K if it takes you 3.

Will you be living at home or on campus/apt?

Both are pretty difficult. With motivation you can beat out the masses. Go with UCLA it's cheaper. USC for Econ is better for job prospects in Cali. Speaking from experience, their network is absolutely insane. That's beside the point. Mitigate debt now you'll thank us later when you matriculate at a private med school lol.

Whichever is cheaper for you. I'd honestly recommend doing pre-med at a less competitive university. It's all about GPA, not really about where you go.

Since you have basically taken no pre-med courses as of yet, I'm not sure that trying to do pre-med in addition to Econ at either place will work for you. You will NOT be able to get it done in 2 years, that's for sure. Is SC offering you any kind of assistance?

Taking a full load at UCLA (4 courses per quarter) will be 24 courses in 2 years. Your pre-med courses alone will take up 15 of these. Plus Psych and Socio (if you haven't taken them and plan to). Plus 11-14 courses for your Econ major (depending on what you've already taken). Plus (if you have not yet completed) a year of English writing and the 10 required gen ed courses. I don't know the exact course requirements at SC, but it will be a similar situation.

Depending on which school you choose you're looking at anywhere from $100K to $225K (for 3 years) in loans BEFORE you even get to med-school (where you will very likely have another $200-300K in loans!). You may want to seriously consider doing just the econ major. And then after you graduate, if you are still interested in medicine, go take your pre-med courses at an easier and cheaper school.

Since you have basically taken no pre-med courses as of yet, I'm not sure that trying to do pre-med in addition to Econ at either place will work for you. You will NOT be able to get it done in 2 years, that's for sure. Is SC offering you any kind of assistance?

Taking a full load at UCLA (4 courses per quarter) will be 24 courses in 2 years. Your pre-med courses alone will take up 15 of these. Plus Psych and Socio (if you haven't taken them and plan to). Plus 11-14 courses for your Econ major (depending on what you've already taken). Plus (if you have not yet completed) a year of English writing and the 10 required gen ed courses. I don't know the exact course requirements at SC, but it will be a similar situation.

Depending on which school you choose you're looking at anywhere from $100K to $225K (for 3 years) in loans BEFORE you even get to med-school (where you will very likely have another $200-300K in loans!). You may want to seriously consider doing just the econ major. And then after you graduate, if you are still interested in medicine, go take your pre-med courses at an easier and cheaper school.

ive taken psych and calc 1 and 2 and microbiology and communication. I have 10 classes I need to take for my Econ major. I was thinking of taking some of my pre-med classes at cc

Oh and BTW I have 70% scholarship/grant from UCLA. I'm not worried about the money I'm just worried about my GPA. I managed to get an A in microbiology without any background in bio so I know I can handle the pressure and competition so please don't make fun of me or belittle me I'd appreciate it. In addition, a lot of people have done Econ/pre med and have gotten into med schools. :(

answer is easy. if you can afford USC you take that over UCLA every day of the week. class sizes are like 1-10 ratio at SC, better education, more resources, better guidance, more opportunity, stronger network

Reactions: 3 users
Oh and BTW I have 70% scheolarship/grant from UCLA. I'm not worried about the money I'm just worried about my GPA. I managed to get an A in microbiology without any background in bio so I know I can handle the pressure and competition so please don't make fun of me or belittle me I'd appreciate it. In addition, a lot of people have done Econ/pre med and have gotten into med schools. :(

If you have a 70% scholarship from UCLA then you should absolutely take that without a doubt! Financially that is easily your best choice. Pre-med courses at UCLA are not impossible, just difficult because of the competition. Don't get behind on studying because the quarter goes quick. I loved the quarter system for that very reason. You have to stay on your toes.

You will not be able to complete all of your pre-med courses at UCLA. So get your work done on Econ, take as many pre-med courses as you can and take the remainder elsewhere after you graduate. By not taking them all at UCLA your GPA will not suffer quite as much.

I don't think anyone is making fun or belittling you. Just trying to make sure you have a good view of the big picture and plan accordingly. Econ/pre-med is a great combo and in the end will help save your GPA a bit by not having to take so many BCPM courses.

Good luck to you. Always good to see another join the Bruin family. :)

If you got a 70% scholarship you are clearly a smart individual. You'll be fine anywhere you go. It just takes the motivation and commitment to beat out the competition. Keep in mind no upper end UC is going to be easy. USC and UCLA are on the upper end of the competition sure but people have done it before so you can do it too! Choose UCLA! You'll be happy you did in the end. Congratulation on your scholarship and admissions!

On a side note, why Econ if your goal is to be doc?

USC is fairly easy for pre-med but prepares you well for medical school, so if there's concern about UCLA being difficult, that's probably the better choice GPA-wise. It sounds like money's better for UCLA, though, so it depends on whether you think the competition at UCLA is difficult enough to warrant a significantly steeper price tag to avoid it. If you think you can handle it, UCLA sounds like the best choice to me given your situation.

Either way, congrats on your acceptances, and best of luck!

Sounds like your financial situation is significantly different for UCLA vs USC. That should really be an important consideration since you don't know where you'll end up for med school and how much that's going to cost.

What school did you end up deciding on?

Is this still up for decision?? I went to UCLA undergrad, USC med school. If $$$ wasn't an object, you should go to USC. They are MUUUCCHHHH more likely to give you an advantage getting into their medical school than UCLA.

One thing I would be concerned about UCLA is that competitions for researches/intenrships in school will be much more competitive...

I had many friends who went pre-med/pre-health at UCLA, and the horror stories they came back with were shocking. I never experienced that kind of fierce competition at USC.

Although I don't know how course difficulty varies between the two, I found USC sciences challenging, but manageable because the students are kind and work together.

@ZedsDed tagging for advice

My opinion: you are an idiot if you turn down a 70% scholarship at UCLA because you want to have an easier time at USC. You are obviously bright and capable. Will you need to work harder to get ahead at UCLA? Maybe. Do not be averse to hard work. Getting a 3.9 at USC isn't a big deal compared to getting a 3.8 at UCLA or something. Tens of thousands of dollars in debt is.

Edited after @Domepiece corrected me that UCLA pumps out the most applicants by raw numbers, not necessarily the most medical students.

Last edited:
Both schools are great institutions and I think @CyrilFiggis gave you an awesome rundown. I was accepted to both schools for undergrad, but went the USC route because as an OOS student I had awards making COA equivalent.

USC - lack of impaction, solid pre-med advising (although they don't advertise this amenity well to transfers, so make sure to seek it out), better athletics (not biased at all), incredible network, terrible area, heavier cost for most
UCLA - heavy impaction leading to lack of course availability and extended undergraduate timeline, fierce competition, don't know much about advising here, athletics are okay I guess, incredibly nice area, significantly cheaper tuition for instate students (esp. with your scholarship situation)

Keck's campus is not connected to the undergrad campus at USC as it is at UCLA. There is a bus that runs between these places, but the interchange area with the junction of the 110 and the 10 and the 10 and the 5 is always jammed, making this ~5 miles commute half an hour or more which can lead to sticky scheduling. There are a multitude of hospitals, school associated or otherwise, near either location where you can knock out volunteering/shadowing hours.

Both institutions are known for producing tons of research and you likely won't have a problem finding somewhere to get involved at either institution. The difficulty of this and volunteering will fall much more on your character and persistence than institutional availability.

Essentially, neither school is going to be 'easy', so work hard to maintain your numbers and to network with professors for LORs. In the end, UCLA probably makes more sense for you with your significant cost differential. For a future medical student, going significantly into debt here when choosing between such similar ranking institutions is setting yourself up for more hardship decades down the road than is necessary. UG institution really doesn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of selection factors, especially not between these schools.

That being said, I think the prototypical premed student locked in the library 16 hours a day everyday would be more common at the latter than the former; SC students tend to balance a healthy social life with academic success quite well while I find this is more the exception than the rule at UCLA (no offense to any UCLA students, just walk around Powell to see what I am talking about).

Also agree with @Lucca for the majority of his post, but his numbers are misleading. UCLA produces the most medical school applicants in the country (961, which is 140 more than the next highest school and represents approximately 2% of all applicants in the country), not medical matriculates. The state of CA in general sucks for applying to med school statistically, with 37% (2438/6520) gaining acceptance anywhere. I don't think it can be said if either school has more success with eventual medical school matriculation without further analysis at the institutional level, but that number of premeds should give you insight to the type of competition you should expect for grades at UCLA.

Last edited:
@FutureMDKatie

@ZedsDed tagging for advice

My opinion: you are an idiot if you turn down a 70% scholarship at UCLA because you want to have an easier time at USC. You are obviously bright and capable. Will you need to work harder to get ahead at UCLA? Maybe. Do not be averse to hard work. Getting a 3.9 at USC isn't a big deal compared to getting a 3.8 at UCLA or something. Tens of thousands of dollars in debt is. UCLA pumps out the most medical students by raw numbers in the United States. If 1,000
UCLA grads can do it every year, so can you.
Your reasoning is sound, as always, and I pretty much agree with you. The UCs do tend to be pretty generous with the scholarships. Even so, 70% is a damn fine deal.

I actually don't know much about USC, but their freshman profiles look pretty impressive to me. UCLA is tough not because of the classes or the material or the professors. UCLA is tough because of the crushing power of competitive grades within an insanely talented, focused, and hard-working population. It sounds like op has a 3.88 with only three science classes from a JC (2 Bs and an A.) I don't know if I would be as confident as you are in his/her success with those numbers. Don't get me wrong, they are impressive stats but s/he hasn't really been properly bloodied yet. But if OP has good reason to believe that s/he will consistently be in the top 10% or so of most of his/her core classes (HINT: a can-do attitude is not a reason), then I would go with UCLA.

@gyngyn Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I have heard from you and others that Keck does not give preferential treatment to her own alumni or even Ca applicants in general? If that's the case, UCLA wins hands down in terms of easy access to ECs, clubs, world-class research, etc imo.

Last edited:
@gyngyn Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I have heard from you and others that Keck does not give preferential treatment to her own alumni or even Ca applicants in general? If that's the case, UCLA wins hands down in terms of easy access to ECs, clubs, world-class research, etc imo.
You don't need gyngyn to tell you that, I've seen it first hand. But you should also note that UCLA does not give preferential treatment to alumni or CA applicants. You can see from stats that both schools have a higher number of alumni that matriculate, but so do most other national college/med school pairs.

As for access, I don't know where you're pulling that from. As someone who attended class and participated in ECs and research with both, I can tell you neither is for want of, nor does one outweigh the other.

Last edited:
@FutureMDKatie

@gyngyn Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I have heard from you and others that Keck does not give preferential treatment to her own alumni or even Ca applicants in general?
CA schools (except for UCD and UCR) have no particular preference for CA applicants but individual schools may indeed show varying degrees of preference for their own undergrads. UCD fills a third of their class with their undergrads and UCSD about 20%. I'd have to check on UCLA and USC...

Edit: neither UCLA nor USC post the number of matriculants from their undergrad.

Last edited by a moderator:
CA schools (except for UCD and UCR) have no particular preference for CA applicants but individual schools may indeed show varying degrees of preference for their own undergrads. UCD fills a third of their class with their undergrads and UCSD about 20%. I'd have to check on UCLA and USC...
I'd love to see the difference in the percentage of matriculating alumni vs. percentage of alumni in the applicant pool. I don't have MSAR or USNews access anymore, but USC matriculated 13% of it's class from USC.

And FWIW @ZedsDed, Keck had 3/4 of last years class admitted from CA. There may not be direct bias, but they certainly pull more from IS.

I'd love to see the difference in the percentage of matriculating alumni vs. percentage of alumni in the applicant pool. I don't have MSAR or USNews access anymore, but USC matriculated 13% of it's class from USC.

And FWIW @ZedsDed, Keck had 3/4 of last years class admitted from CA. There may not be direct bias, but they certainly pull more from IS.
All CA schools (except Stanford and Loma Linda) take most of their matriculants from CA. We have a huge excess of qualified applicants. We take 910 and generously leave 1,528 to others.

I'm curious - do you know what year that 13% number was taken from? I know their Baccalaureate/MD program matriculated its last class into Keck last year, so I'm just wondering if that number includes these students that they had to take from their own institution, and therefore might be inflated when it comes to the actual application cycle.

I'm curious - do you know what year that 13% number was taken from? I know their Baccalaureate/MD program matriculated its last class into Keck last year, so I'm just wondering if that number includes these students that they had to take from their own institution, and therefore might be inflated when it comes to the actual application cycle.
It was for the c/o 2019, so those starting their M2 this fall. I'm actually very familiar with the BA/MD program and why they stopped. They found that the requirements of the program to received direct admission (MCAT, GPA, etc) were strong enough that many students were able to get admission, scholarships etc from other universities. And since the program was non-binding, they could choose not to go to Keck. In fact, the percentage of matriculants decreasing was the reason they stopped the program. So while it may have an impact, i don't think it overly inflates the stats.

Also, that c/o 19 class had 6 people accepted from my post-bacc class at USC with 2 accepting. We have no bridge, but there were only 28 in my cohort that applied to USC.

This is how my school can get some really good students! Western and Touro-CA, even more so!

All CA schools (except Stanford and Loma Linda) take most of their matriculants from CA. We have a huge excess of qualified applicants. We take 910 and generously leave 1,528 to others.

Edit: neither UCLA nor USC post the number of matriculants from their undergrad.
Any idea how many UCD undergrads apply to UCD med school?

Last edited:
As for access, I don't know where you're pulling that from. As someone who attended class and participated in ECs and research with both, I can tell you neither is for want of, nor does one outweigh the other.
As I said, I'm not familiar with USC. I didn't say that research is not available to you, it's just that the research opportunities provided to UC premeds are pretty amazing (imo) -- particularly at UCLA.

CA schools (except for UCD and UCR) have no particular preference for CA applicants but individual schools may indeed show varying degrees of preference for their own undergrads. UCD fills a third of their class with their undergrads and UCSD about 20%.
Only a 1/3? Aren't they specifically trying to pull kids from the region?

http://keck.usc.edu/education/md-program/admissions/

Keck self reports it as 13% of their class is from their UG(Id be surprised if the true figure was much different if it is at all). When you look at how many people are grads from UCLA and UCSD at Keck the data doesnt really show going to USC for UG in particular provides all that particularly significant an advantage

Last edited: