This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMe831

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I know I'm making this thread super early, but I just thought whoever else is interested in this cycle we can kind of bounce off of each other and go through this process together! Any advice, anything that can help each other out, just put it here! I know applications open September 1st for the Class of 2020. Excited to start applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I am also applying this year for the program! Still working on the personal statements though..but planning to get it submitted soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I submitted my application and am hoping I hear back soon!

Hi! I submitted my application and am hoping I hear back soon!
was it just the Post bac CAS application?? or was there another one?? it keeps saying theres 2 applciations but i can't find the other one!

was it just the Post bac CAS application?? or was there another one?? it keeps saying theres 2 applciations but i can't find the other one!
I think it means the questions in the program materials section of the application and then you also need to create a UC San Diego Extension account and pay an extra $60 application fee.

Gettin ready to apply here as well. Anyone using interfolio to upload the letters and was successful getting them uploaded?

I am applying this year as well, writing my personal statement and collecting recommendation letters. Good luck to you all.

Anyone using interfolio to upload the letters and was successful getting them uploaded?

I tried to upload letters to PostbacCAS via Interfolio, but unfortunately was unable to because it requires supplemental information from your letter writer as they're submitting it. Either check with UCSD if there's an alternative or ask your letter writer to upload it directly to PostBacCAS

Guys, I haven't taken the lab for O'chem 2. Any idea how critical the labs are for them? Trying to decide if I should take it in the spring or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea how critical the labs are for them? Trying to decide if I should take it in the spring or not.

Can't give you a specific answer, but their website does say it requires 2 organic chem labs-- "courses may be in progress at the time of application but entrance to the program is contingent on their successful completion". I'd recommend contacting the program and discussing with Amie Becker. She's great, and would be able to give you a better answer.

I tried to upload letters to PostbacCAS via Interfolio, but unfortunately was unable to because it requires supplemental information from your letter writer as they're submitting it. Either check with UCSD if there's an alternative or ask your letter writer to upload it directly to PostBacCAS

I tried uploading them via Interfolio as well and you are right, PostBacCas would not accept them. Luckily, my writers have agreed to upload them to the portal. Still trying to input the grades and this has been a nightmare as I have so many classes haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still trying to input the grades and this has been a nightmare as I have so many classes haha.

Haha same, I had about 5 college transcripts to input, both semester and quarter so I get it. Good luck!

Has anyone used the tool where you pay to have someone input the transcripts?

Haha same, I had about 5 college transcripts to input, both semester and quarter so I get it. Good luck!

No but wish I had lol. Anyone going to apply to the UC postbacc consortium? I am thinking about applying there as well butas a San Diegan, would love to stay local. However, I read past threads and saw people declining acceptance to this program to attend UCSF postbacc and these people also received a scholarship to attend UCSD postbacc. I wonder what are the differences between this program and those part of the UC consortium? Does one give you a higher chance of getting into a UC? anyone has any insight? I know some may choose to attend UCSF for the name, but for a postbacc does that really make a difference when applying to medical school? sorry for the long post haha.

Also, under achievements, what do you put here? Volunteer awards? Publications? Certifications?

I paid $65 for my transcripts, but it was a bad idea as I just had a few courses. It would have taken me 20 min and I could have saved $65.

Last edited:
Also, under achievements, what do you put here? Volunteer awards? Publications? Certifications?

I'd think all of the above if it's applicable! awards, honors, presentations, publications

and I'm actually also thinking of applying to UC Consortium too! but I'm unsure about which would increase your likelihood of getting into a UC med school. I'm going to out on a limb here and say that it's doubtful that there's a significant relationship/ "linkage" for them. The only real linkage I'm aware of is UCSD post bacc and Western, but I'm not really informed of this process. Can anyone who has gone to Western via UCSD post bacc linkage give some insights?

No but wish I had lol. Anyone going to apply to the UC postbacc consortium? I am thinking about applying there as well butas a San Diegan, would love to stay local. However, I read past threads and saw people declining acceptance to this program to attend UCSF postbacc and these people also received a scholarship to attend UCSD postbacc. I wonder what are the differences between this program and those part of the UC consortium? Does one give you a higher chance of getting into a UC? anyone has any insight? I know some may choose to attend UCSF for the name, but for a postbacc does that really make a difference when applying to medical school? sorry for the long post haha.
Same! Applying to the UC Consortium too... but idk why UCI and UCSD is separate from the rest of the UC's???

Same! Applying to the UC Consortium too... but idk why UCI and UCSD is separate from the rest of the UC's???
I believe UCI is part of the UC consortium. It’s just they have the earliest deadline out of all of them. UCSD used to belong in the consortium but they decided to be on their own a few years ago I believe. Not sure why tho.

Guys, I have a few questions:
1- Is there a gap year after you graduate from UCSD postbac?
2- What does conditional linkage to Western Uni really mean? is there a min MCAT score or min GPA? Is there gap year for this linkage?
3- What percentage of graduates got admission from UCSD med school this year or last year? When I asked Amie in 2016, she said 18 out of 26 people got admission from UCSD med school. That was almost 70%.

Guys, I have a few questions:
1- Is there a gap year after you graduate from UCSD postbac?
2- What does conditional linkage to Western Uni really mean? is there a min MCAT score or min GPA? Is there gap year for this linkage?
3- What percentage of graduates got admission from UCSD med school this year or last year? When I asked Amie in 2016, she said 18 out of 26 people got admission from UCSD med school. That was almost 70%.
70% got admitted to UCSD SOM or Western? That’s quite high for UCSD.

Quick question. I just submitted my postbaccas app. How do I pay the extension fee? I aready created the extension account but there is no instruction on how to pay the fee. Any idea? Thanks

Quick question. I just submitted my postbaccas app. How do I pay the extension fee? I aready created the extension account but there is no instruction on how to pay the fee. Any idea? Thanks
you should receive a confirmation email with a link to payment. Just follow the instruction.

in case anyone else was wondering if you submit letters through Interfolio (directly send to an email) instead of postbaccas, I contacted Amie and unfortunately you can't.. it has to be submitted through PostbacCAS

Hi everyone!
I am planning on applying to this program as well, but I am worried because the application must be verified by January 24. On the Post Bac Cas website, it says that it takes up to 2 weeks to verify. I had no option but to cut it close to the deadline because I did not have time to accurately work on my application. Anyway, my friend just applied to the program today and they sent an email about how it could take 4 weeks to verify. Does anyone know about this? Do you think SD could make an exception if they do not receive my application on time? Currently freaking out. I don't want my hard work/time go to waste :(

you should receive a confirmation email with a link to payment. Just follow the instruction.

How long did it take until you received the confirmation Email? I still havent received a confirmation email but I assume that maybe because my app is not complete yet since I am still waiting for one more LOR?

How long did it take until you received the confirmation Email? I still havent received a confirmation email but I assume that maybe because my app is not complete yet since I am still waiting for one more LOR?

My friend got an email immediately after submitting his application! But he is still waiting on 3 LORs

Yeah I'd love to know how long it takes to get verified! :( I've been hearing different things about the verification process...

I tried to at least submit the $60 application fee, but it said that they were no longer accepting the fee for new applications. Did anyone else get anything similar, or was it perhaps that I needed to finish my app and get the confirmation to get the right payment page?

Yeah I'd love to know how long it takes to get verified! :( I've been hearing different things about the verification process...

I tried to at least submit the $60 application fee, but it said that they were no longer accepting the fee for new applications. Did anyone else get anything similar, or was it perhaps that I needed to finish my app and get the confirmation to get the right payment page?

I was able to submit the payment before completing my application. Hope you’re able to resolve this!

I submitted my payment back in November, but I just checked right now and it still works! It's a bit confusing, but all you have to do is go to UC San Diego MyExtension, create an account, click on the shopping cart icon and enter the ID 135956. It should then automatically refresh the page for you to pay the $60!

Hi everyone!
I am planning on applying to this program as well, but I am worried because the application must be verified by January 24. On the Post Bac Cas website, it says that it takes up to 2 weeks to verify. I had no option but to cut it close to the deadline because I did not have time to accurately work on my application. Anyway, my friend just applied to the program today and they sent an email about how it could take 4 weeks to verify. Does anyone know about this? Do you think SD could make an exception if they do not receive my application on time? Currently freaking out. I don't want my hard work/time go to waste :(

It’s not late. I submitted my app 3 days ago and my app is verified today.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, some of my recommendations say "complete" and others say "accepted". Does anyone know the difference?

Hello, some of my recommendations say "complete" and others say "accepted". Does anyone know the difference?

Complete is when your letter writer has submitted your letter. Accepted is that they basically acknowledged your request (that's why the "accepted" status is in red because it still needs to be complete)

When you send a LOR request to someone, do they have to create an account in order to submit the letter? One of my recommenders is a +75-year old man who is not computer savvy.

My application was just verified, so now im just waiting on two recommendation letters, one from a 70+ year old doctor that says he submitted it but only "accepted" it, so now I have to figure out how to explain to him to properly complete, and the second from an organic chem professor who was sent the recommendation request in October, and been reminded every month, but now has suddenly disappeared from email correspondence with the deadline coming up :|

Last edited:
My application was just verified, so now im just waiting on two recommendation letters, one from a 70+ year old doctor that says he submitted it but only "accepted" it, so now I have to figure out how to explain to him to properly complete, and the second from an organic chem professor who was sent the recommendation request in October, and been reminded every month, but now has suddenly disappeared from email correspondence with the deadline coming up :|
I have the same problem with one of my recommenders, lol. He is an old doctor who believed he submitted the letter, but the status only shows as accepted. If you figured out how to navigate him through, please let me know.

I have the same problem with one of my recommenders, lol. He is an old doctor who believed he submitted the letter, but the status only shows as accepted. If you figured out how to navigate him through, please let me know.
Im going into the hospital and waiting for him to have a break in between surgeries, then I'm going to walk him through it. The biggest problem is the O. Chem professor because I may be mistaken but I believe I need to have a recommendation from a science professor and she is the only one I have. Most of my science courses are 10 years old.

if this helps anyone, I applied to the program yesterday and today received an email from UCSD saying my app was received, my payment was processed, and it is currently under review... so it's not too late to apply if anyone's still contemplating!

if this helps anyone, I applied to the program yesterday and today received an email from UCSD saying my app was received, my payment was processed, and it is currently under review... so it's not too late to apply if anyone's still contemplating!

When did you submit your transcripts?

For anyone who is part of the program this year or the past, would you be willing to talk about your experience?

When did you submit your transcripts?

I submitted my transcripts back in early Nov because I was applying to another program that had rolling deadline. My app was verified 3 days after submitting.

Hey everyone. Currently in the program. If y'all have questions, please DM me. I'll get to it as I can as we are currently studying. So good luck to those this app.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone. Currently in the program. If y'all have questions, please DM me. I'll get to it as I can as we are currently studying. So good luck to those this app.
Hi Aquared,
I have a few questions:
1- If you choose to go to Western, then is there a gap year? What conditions do you have to meet to get accepted?
2- Can you share some info about the scholarship?

Appreciate for the feedback

Hi Aquared,
I have a few questions:
1- If you choose to go to Western, then is there a gap year? What conditions do you have to meet to get accepted?
2- Can you share some info about the scholarship?

Appreciate for the feedback

Send me a DM!

Did anyone else have problems receiving a confirmation letter right away?