UCSF 2011-2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I just died a little. I've been reading over my applications (pharmcas & supplemental) and I realized I made a single typo on one of the four essays. I left out a word in a sentence. WOW.

OK. I was still invited for an interview, which means that they overlooked my error. But I am a person who prides myself on paying close attention to detail. I seriously cannot believe I did that and almost wish that I didn't realize it!!!

Am I screwed?? Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi rxgirl3,

First of all you are not screwed. lol. I recall attending a preview session for UCSF before submitting my supplementals, and Joel mentioned that it is the overall impression of the essays that matters. Joel does not care if there are tiny/minor mistakes if he is impressed with the content and quality of your essays. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about. My advice is that you prepare for your upcoming interview. Good Luck

Well, I just died a little. I've been reading over my applications (pharmcas & supplemental) and I realized I made a single typo on one of the four essays. I left out a word in a sentence. WOW.

OK. I was still invited for an interview, which means that they overlooked my error. But I am a person who prides myself on paying close attention to detail. I seriously cannot believe I did that and almost wish that I didn't realize it!!!

Don't worry about it. Trust me, I made way way bigger mistakes on my application, and I was granted an interview. I made even bigger mistakes in between being granted an interview and my interview day, to the point where I thought they'd cancel my interview (it was actually a very legitimate worry). But I my interview offer still stood, and I made it!

Members don't see this ad :)

I realized making a mistake on my application essay too. I think it's okay to make minor errors.

I realized making a mistake on my application essay too. I think it's okay to make minor errors.

Yeah, I am sooo grateful they are still giving me the opportunity to interview. But still, the profession of pharmacy is based on careful attention to detail... This is so embarrassing! :(

I had a similar error in my supplemental. however, i have not received anything from ucsf yet. does this mean anything? joel blog discusses interview date assignments. does anyone know how ucsf sends out the invitation? thanks.

congratulations for those who got invitations. best of luck to everyone in the pursuit of pharmd.

I had a similar error in my supplemental. however, i have not received anything from ucsf yet. does this mean anything? joel blog discusses interview date assignments. does anyone know how ucsf sends out the invitation? thanks.

congratulations for those who got invitations. best of luck to everyone in the pursuit of pharmd.

According to Joel's blog, the admissions committee reviewed about 95% of the applications received. You are probably in that last 5% and they will review your app once they get back from winter break. Good luck!

thanks rxgirl3. Good luck to u as well!!!!!!!

Received an interview for 02/04/12 at 12PM. See you all there and best of luck!

Received an interview for 02/04/12 at 12PM. See you all there and best of luck!

Me too! Gluck! I dunno if maybe I should eat a late breakfast or an early lunch. But I guess that's the least of my worries. Ha! But seriously, there's nothing more distracting than a grumbling stomach... or fOOd coma.

Getting a good sleep (if it's at all possible haha!) and eating something will definitely give you the energy you need to perform well. Hopefully, it'll also keep the stomach rumble to a minimum and not put you in a food induced coma ;)

For interviewees, I live near campus and am offering a place to stay/sleep for a night or two. I can accommodate one interviewing student per night. A twin blow-up air mattress about 5-10 minutes from campus with a current UCSF pharmacy student can be convenient :) This may be especially helpful to out-of-state students interviewing. Please private message me for information. I do not check my this account often, so if make take a few days to respond.

how nice

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know the matriculation amount of students into UCSF SOP based off undergrad school from say past years? I know there isn't a quota or favorites, but I just thought it would be interesting if there was a chart of amount of students from cal, ucla, ucsd, private ect. Something similar to Touro's: http://www.tu.edu/user_files/25/COPdemo.htm
Thanks!

My advice as an out-of-state student @ UCSF SOP is to be true to yourself. As Joel writes: "be genuine" and "know yourself"...ie...know your strengths, desires, areas for development. One thing I like most about this program was that they ferret out passionate students with drive and personality-- rather than 4.0 and 95% PCAT (not used CA-- yet commonly used to select in other programs) who may be less passionate and have a less unique contribution to the class and profession. Fixate less on metrics and more on who you are and what you want ; )

My advice as an out-of-state student @ UCSF SOP is to be true to yourself. As Joel writes: "be genuine" and "know yourself"...ie...know your strengths, desires, areas for development. One thing I like most about this program was that they ferret out passionate students with drive and personality-- rather than 4.0 and 95% PCAT (not used CA-- yet commonly used to select in other programs) who may be less passionate and have a less unique contribution to the class and profession. Fixate less on metrics and more on who you are and what you want ; )

:thumbup: Be passionate and be able to express it, I think that's why they selected my app for an interview which otherwise didn't look so ornate.

Does anybody know the matriculation amount of students into UCSF SOP based off undergrad school from say past years? I know there isn't a quota or favorites, but I just thought it would be interesting if there was a chart of amount of students from cal, ucla, ucsd, private ect. Something similar to Touro's: http://www.tu.edu/user_files/25/COPdemo.htm
Thanks!

I don't think there's an actual list, but I can tell you right now that the P1 class is dominated by UCLA, Cal, and UCSD. I'd say they together make up around two thirds of the class. There's a fair amount of people from the UCs, and I believe about there's maybe 15 students from out of state. I could be totally wrong, but this is what I feel are approximate numbers.

-EDIT-

I got really bored. Also, I don't feel like doing work, so here you go. I did a rough count of most of the people in our class, and here's what I came up with.

Out of 94 people I counted (I didn't know/look up the undergraduate school of about 30 of us):

Cal - 20
UCSD - 18
UCLA - 10
UC Davis - 9
UCI - 5
UCSC - 3
UCSB - 2
Non UC, California Schools - 11
Out of State - 16

I feel like there's definitely more UCLA people than I counted, but I do believe that Cal and UCSD are the two most populous in our P1 class.

For interviewees, I live near campus and am offering a place to stay/sleep for a night or two. I can accommodate one interviewing student per night. A twin blow-up air mattress about 5-10 minutes from campus with a current UCSF pharmacy student can be convenient :) This may be especially helpful to out-of-state students interviewing. Please private message me for information. I do not check my this account often, so if make take a few days to respond.

How nice of you JS lol.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I'm also a current P1 at UCSF and I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys might have regarding any part of the application process!

GOOD LUCK :]

Hey everyone!

I'm also a current P1 at UCSF and I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys might have regarding any part of the application process!

That is so nice of you. Can you tell me a little about the written portion of the interview? I am a little nervous. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
That is so nice of you. Can you tell me a little about the written portion of the interview? I am a little nervous. Thanks!!!

The written part of the interview is composed of 3 different essay topics. Based on past trends from what I've noticed, one's a current event issue, one's more on the ethical side, and the last one can be somewhere in between the two. You only have to choose 1 essay topic out of the 3, so just choose the one that you feel that you can express yourself most in.

The space they give you is a box less than a full page (maybe like 3/4 of a page) and you only have that space to write your essay. They give you about an hour to write it which is plenty of time, so make sure that you organize your thoughts before you put it down on paper. Also, the desks are kind of gritty, so if you have a flat surface (folder/binder/clipboard) you can bring that might be helpful :]

Now about the essay itself, what Joel always says is that they're looking to see that you can communicate effectively. This means that you're able to clearly express your ideas and opinions through written communication. It is also a way for the admissions committee to verify the style of writing you have from your application with how you write on site. Overall, I felt like this is the section you can't really prepare for, so just make sure your writing is consistent with your application and that you're able to write under a timed situation.

Hello!

I'm also a current P1 at UCSF and would be happy to answer any questions. I remember sdn was basically my homepage when I was applying/interviewing for pharm school. :p

Hey everyone!

Hello!

I'm also a current P1 at UCSF and would be happy to answer any questions. I remember sdn was basically my homepage when I was applying/interviewing for pharm school. :p

Oh come on... you guys are just gonna steal my thunder like that? lol

For current students, are most of your classmates able to work during school? Is it hard to find internship positions in the SF area?

For current students, are most of your classmates able to work during school? Is it hard to find internship positions in the SF area?

Most of us (meaning the P1's) haven't really found our internships yet. Finding internships can be challenging, but for the most part, I don't think most of us are concerned about finding one. Most of us are pretty confident that we'll find one eventually.

Working during school kind of depends on how much you can juggle at the same time. I've heard from people who can handle it no problem, others who think their grades suffer. It kind of depends on what kind of person you are.

Most of us (meaning the P1's) haven't really found our internships yet. Finding internships can be challenging, but for the most part, I don't think most of us are concerned about finding one. Most of us are pretty confident that we'll find one eventually.

Working during school kind of depends on how much you can juggle at the same time. I've heard from people who can handle it no problem, others who think their grades suffer. It kind of depends on what kind of person you are.
Thank you so much for the info!! Does UCSF help you find internship positions then? Do you get enough opportunities to apply what you have learned in class to the real world settings? What do you guys do during the summer break?
Thanks a ton!!!

Thank you so much for the info!! Does UCSF help you find internship positions then? Do you get enough opportunities to apply what you have learned in class to the real world settings? What do you guys do during the summer break?
Thanks a ton!!!
From my limited experience as a P1 student, I think UCSF's basic attitude towards internships is that they want the student to take their own initiative in finding an internship for themselves. You can argue any way you want to on why they'd want to do this. UCSF does set up internship interviews for its students (CVS came to our school one day to hold interviews, with other companies/hospitals coming later), but you still have to apply for these interviews. You're still going to have to go out and apply for your internships, but the school will help you along the way with internship fairs, internship panels, etc.

Long story short, you're not totally on your own. The school will help encourage you and help you find potential places to look for internships. But it's up to you on where you apply and where you interview, and it's up to you to have the initiative to look.

For the first year, you hit the basic science classes pretty hard, so a lot of pure science classes, with a smattering of pharmacy related classes throughout the year as well. You do get to apply your knowledge with elective outreach courses, health fairs, etc. That being said, I haven't gotten to go to many events yet, so I don't have any perspective on that.

Also, given that this is my first year, I don't really have much perspective on what people are doing for summer break either. Sorry, I can't really help you with that.

From my limited experience as a P1 student, I think UCSF's basic attitude towards internships is that they want the student to take their own initiative in finding an internship for themselves. You can argue any way you want to on why they'd want to do this. UCSF does set up internship interviews for its students (CVS came to our school one day to hold interviews, with other companies/hospitals coming later), but you still have to apply for these interviews. You're still going to have to go out and apply for your internships, but the school will help you along the way with internship fairs, internship panels, etc.

Long story short, you're not totally on your own. The school will help encourage you and help you find potential places to look for internships. But it's up to you on where you apply and where you interview, and it's up to you to have the initiative to look.

For the first year, you hit the basic science classes pretty hard, so a lot of pure science classes, with a smattering of pharmacy related classes throughout the year as well. You do get to apply your knowledge with elective outreach courses, health fairs, etc. That being said, I haven't gotten to go to many events yet, so I don't have any perspective on that.

Also, given that this is my first year, I don't really have much perspective on what people are doing for summer break either. Sorry, I can't really help you with that.
Thanks for taking your time providing me the information! It's very helpful! Are you going to participate in the interview events?

For current students- is a car necessary during the first year? How is off campus housing like? far? close? price? neighborhood safety? how was the interview process for you all? any tips and advice? why did you all choose to study pharmacy? :D thank you!

Thanks for taking your time providing me the information! It's very helpful! Are you going to participate in the interview events?

I went to the CVS interview event. The other interview events haven't happened yet. I will most likely look for internships myself, as well as go to the events as well.

For current students- is a car necessary during the first year? How is off campus housing like? far? close? price? neighborhood safety? how was the interview process for you all? any tips and advice? why did you all choose to study pharmacy? :D thank you!

For cars, it kind of depends on where in the city you live. If you live in school housing at Parnassus, you don't need a car to go to school. There's a bit of grocery stores here and there in the parnassus/inner sunset area. It definitely would be convenient to have a car, but living in parnassus, I'd probably only use it once a week or once every other week. If you live off campus, it really depends on where you live. In terms of just getting to and from class, a car isn't totally necessary for most parts of the city. You can probably get by using muni, but again, a car might help. Parking near campus is pretty atrocious, however. I'd say out of everyone in our class, I'd say the majority of the class does not have a car because they live in campus housing, can use ucsf shuttle service, or can use muni without it being too inconvenient.

Off campus housing can be anywhere you want it to be in the city. Most people that don't live in campus housing live in inner sunset/outer sunset area. A lot of people who live in campus housing live in Mission Bay housing, which is a UCSF owned dorm-ish kind of complex that's very far from campus. Those students usually rely on ucsf shuttles to get to and from campus.

Again, neighborhood safety depends on where you live. In parnassus housing, it feels generally pretty safe, although there has been a few reports of mugging here and there in the parnassus area and inner sunset. I'm not really sure about mission bay. I've heard mission bay itself is pretty safe, but the immediate area outside of it isn't.

For price, parnassus area is definitely the most expensive. There's both campus housing and non-campus housing in parnassus. On average, campus housing is about 850 including util for a single. Noncampus housing in the parnassus are seems to be about 1000 on average for a single, and maybe 1200 or so for a studio/1 bdrm apt. It depends though, there are definitely people who get good deals in teh parnassus area. For inner/outer sunset, it tends to be cheaper (maybe about 800 including util). I live in teh parnassus campus housing, and I pay 999 for my single, but that's because my room is about 2.5x a normal single (about 300 sq ft).

I've told this story many times, but I didn't feel that my interview at SF went very well. I stumbled a lot, hesitated on a lot of questions, didn't articulate well, etc. I definitely didn't prepare as much as I could have for the interview (because of poor time management, midterms that I took the few days before the interview). If there was one redeeming quality to my interview, I'd have to say it was that I was completely honest and genuine. Because I didn't have time to prepare my answers, every answer I gave to my interviewer was pretty much the complete, genuine truth. I feel that after the whole application process, the schools I got into were the schools I said exactly what I felt at the interview. I'm not telling you to not prepare for your interview; that'd be bad. But honesty goes a long way, and at the end of the day, I feel like that I got into a school, that for whatever reason, actually wanted me.

Are there any hospital internship positions at UCSF Medical Center or other hospitals in SF? When do you apply for the internship license?

Are there any hospital internship positions at UCSF Medical Center or other hospitals in SF? When do you apply for the internship license?

Yes, there are internships at the med center. However, from my knowledge, there's only a couple of spots open each year, so your chances of getting one are pretty slim. There are some internship positions throughout the city's hospitals. Again, I'm only a P1, so in terms of internships, I'm not too familiar with availability.

You apply for the internship license in late September/early October. Student Affairs collects your pictures, your live scans, etc, and does a lot of the paperwork for you, then sends the whole class's applications on your behalf to the board. This year, most of us got our licenses by around mid to late November.

Yes, there are internships at the med center. However, from my knowledge, there's only a couple of spots open each year, so your chances of getting one are pretty slim. There are some internship positions throughout the city's hospitals. Again, I'm only a P1, so in terms of internships, I'm not too familiar with availability.

You apply for the internship license in late September/early October. Student Affairs collects your pictures, your live scans, etc, and does a lot of the paperwork for you, then sends the whole class's applications on your behalf to the board. This year, most of us got our licenses by around mid to late November.
That's really helpful to know!! Again thanks a lot! Hopefully I will get to thank you in person :)

Hi current students: What are some of the cons about the curriculum of UCSF from your experience? Thanks.

current student:
how much patient interaction is there during the first three years? in what settings?
are classmates competitive with each other or is it a more helpful environment?

current student:
how much patient interaction is there during the first three years? in what settings?
are classmates competitive with each other or is it a more helpful environment?

Again, I'm only a first year, so I don't know too much about the first three years.

That being said, most of your first year's patient interaction will come in the form of volunteering at health fairs and volunteering at outreach events. There is actually very little patient interaction provided directly by the curriculum (only your ippes, which is basically 10-15 hours of shadowing). The school basically expects its students to volunteer at health fairs and outreach events for the purposes of being involved in a community setting as well as gain helpful experiences, so you get a lot of experience that way. Also, don't forget your internship, which will actually provide the bulk of your patient interaction.

Classmates are generally very helpful with one another, and there's few cutthroat mindsets, but I feel like this will be the case anywhere you go. At any school where you go to class for 20 to 30+ hours a week with the same 120 students for two and a half years (before you split for rotations), you'll be very conscious about doing any backstabbing, where everyone will know your name and how you contributed to the class. On a more positive note, I think the general attitude of faculty and the way most classes are structured (no curve) makes it easy for students to want to study with and help each other. Just yesterday one of our class held her own hour and a half review session to just help us out. Again, I think this will be common no matter where you go, but hey, I didn't go anywhere else, so I might be wrong.

thanks!
and the internship you mentioned--are you just talking about summer opportunities or is there an internship built into the curriculum?

Again, I'm only a first year, so I don't know too much about the first three years.

That being said, most of your first year's patient interaction will come in the form of volunteering at health fairs and volunteering at outreach events. There is actually very little patient interaction provided directly by the curriculum (only your ippes, which is basically 10-15 hours of shadowing). The school basically expects its students to volunteer at health fairs and outreach events for the purposes of being involved in a community setting as well as gain helpful experiences, so you get a lot of experience that way. Also, don't forget your internship, which will actually provide the bulk of your patient interaction.

Classmates are generally very helpful with one another, and there's few cutthroat mindsets, but I feel like this will be the case anywhere you go. At any school where you go to class for 20 to 30+ hours a week with the same 120 students for two and a half years (before you split for rotations), you'll be very conscious about doing any backstabbing, where everyone will know your name and how you contributed to the class. On a more positive note, I think the general attitude of faculty and the way most classes are structured (no curve) makes it easy for students to want to study with and help each other. Just yesterday one of our class held her own hour and a half review session to just help us out. Again, I think this will be common no matter where you go, but hey, I didn't go anywhere else, so I might be wrong.

Looks like most out-of-state folks will meet on Feb. 4th. When is the first interview run? Do we get to hear back earlier if we are interviewed earlier? Or UCSF just sends out everything at once?

thanks!
and the internship you mentioned--are you just talking about summer opportunities or is there an internship built into the curriculum?

As a student pharmacist, you're required to obtain at least 1500 hours of internship hours (at least in California). UCSF's curriculum gives you either 600 or 1100 depending on your concentration, or pathway. The other 900 or 400 hours are up to you to complete by applying/getting your own internship position at a licensed pharmacy. Some people do it over the summer, some people do it during school.

Looks like most out-of-state folks will meet on Feb. 4th. When is the first interview run? Do we get to hear back earlier if we are interviewed earlier? Or UCSF just sends out everything at once?

Not necessarily. Joel told us last year that just because you interview first doesn't mean you'll hear back first. He keeps it pretty cryptic, basically telling you "we'll let you know when we know."

Hey future interviewees!!!

I am also a current P1 at UCSF! If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to message me!

So excited to meet all of you! Best of luck preparing for the interviews!

Just one word of advice, UCSF has the one of the best acceptance rates after you get into the interview stage. About 45% of those interviewed get accepted!!! And many more get put on waitlist which is also good b/c that is how I got in!

Good luck!

That's very nice of you! UCSF is amazing! The students are outstanding!

You are not mistaken haha

By the way, the current students just signed up for time slots to talk to you guys during the interview/give tours. I got a tour time slot, but hopefully I can crash in on one of your chat sessions.

I'll be at one of the chat rooms! Hope to meet y'all soon. :)

I am getting excited but nervous. I can't wait to meet all the current students and other interviewees. =]

Hey, just curious, since you said most of you guys get the licenses in november, what about the other ones? why they didn't get it in time? or does that mean there's a chance that some of us won't get it?

The ones that didn't had to wait, they didn't really have a choice. There may have been a number of reasons that their licenses got delayed. Funny story, one of my friends had different last names so the system got confused so he just recently got his license. Everyone gets it in the end so don't worry.

First interviews are two days away! Good luck everyone!