UCSF 2011-2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i remember at my interview joel said that they were hoping to do it through email, but feared the whole sending them out to the wrong bunch scenario, so essentially he wasn't sure yet (or so it seemed.) but hopefully since interviews were done via email, decision letters also will!

LOL I had to laugh because UCSD did this accidentally a few years ago - not for pharm admissions but for undergrad admissions :eek: Sent acceptances to not-accepted people by mistake. Just horrible. After I heard about that, from now on I kind of don't take any emails seriously and receiving hard copy really validates it.

Edited to add that I remember hearing about many families who went out to dinner to celebrate just to come back and find out it wasn't real...

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info current students provided about the two letters non-related to admission. It was a heartbroken a moment seeing words that started with "Thank you for applying...."
What does UCSF acceptance letter start with? lol

Do people decline great schools?

for people on ucsf's waiting list, what would their chances be? mostly likely, people that are accepted to ucsf will go. ucsf is an awesome school, and people with a sane mind will absolutely accept. right?

thanks

im looking forward to the letter that starts with "Congratulations....." =)

Members don't see this ad :)

for people on ucsf's waiting list, what would their chances be? mostly likely, people that are accepted to ucsf will go. ucsf is an awesome school, and people with a sane mind will absolutely accept. right?

thanks

As surprising as it might sound, after reading through forums for the different schools I have applied to, I have come across students who got interviews at UCSF and said it is not their first choice. I've actually seen people say they will decline an offer at UCSF if they get in, and it has to do with personal preference on location, family, etc. So every year it really depends on a number of different things whether those waitlisted are offered a spot.
But let's think positive! hopefully this is something we won't have to worry about. Best of luck!

when is the deadline to fill out the financial aid form from UCSF? I think I lost the letter somewhere, Can someone let me know the link to the website to sign up ?

thanks

I have met a few people in the p1 class here that were on the waitlist. In terms of exact numbers, I'm not really sure. But I do know there were people who were on the waitlist until just a few weeks before orientation, so don't give up hope if you really want to come but get waitlisted.

when is the deadline to fill out the financial aid form from UCSF? I think I lost the letter somewhere, Can someone let me know the link to the website to sign up ?

I don't think there is a deadline, they just want you to do it as soon as possible. The link for the application process is http://finaid.ucsf.edu/application-process/how-apply.

BTW, did you guys see Joel's blog post from Friday?

http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/2012/02/hey-joel-i-was-wondering-if-you-will-be.html

Apparently a lot of the onsite essays were bad. I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or worse!

I don't think there is a deadline, they just want you to do it as soon as possible. The link for the application process is http://finaid.ucsf.edu/application-process/how-apply.

BTW, did you guys see Joel's blog post from Friday?

http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/2012/02/hey-joel-i-was-wondering-if-you-will-be.html

Apparently a lot of the onsite essays were bad. I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or worse!

I asked that question FYI haha

But I agree.... the mention about the essays makes me a little nervous (i definitely had a spelling error in mine)

I asked that question FYI haha

But I agree.... the mention about the essays makes me a little nervous (i definitely had a spelling error in mine)

Thanks for clearing up the question about the email! I think one or two spelling errors are fine in the onsite essay. I'm just starting to worry that mine was too simple. I wrote 4 paragraphs (intro, body, conclusion) and didn't elaborate much...

Yea I'm a little worried about my essay as well. I felt the space given was a bit small for the standard 4 paragraphs. I did intro argument, example, and conclusion. Looking back on it now, I kind of feel I was just spacing out and writing to try to make the most sense possible >.>

Hi everyone

Dont worry too much. From what I heard Joel said in the previous years about the essay is that if you write a good/convincing essay...then that is what really matters...two or three spelling errors is not big deal...they just want to make sure that your writing style is consistent to what you have on your supplemental essays. Believe it or not, some people who write great essays on their supplementals sometimes have others revise them so much that sometimes their own style of writing is lost in the process.

Good luck!

would anyone know the weight of the essay and interview? by the time we arrive at this point, would it be do or die?

after much preparation, i was still very nervous. i am not confident in my essay and interview. but I worked really hard to get to that point, in terms of academics, research, pharm exp, ECs and application. any thoughts?

good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of people complain about the onsite essay portions at interviews but I kind of like them, just because I know I wrote my own personal statement and that the style will match the onsite. I also think it's pretty fair that you get 3 options because you can select the one you think you can do best on. They did select you for an interview because they read your essays (and thus, liked them?) so I think as long as you keep your style and flow of logic consistent you should be fine. I really hate hearing about how people shell out hundreds of dollars to grad school admissions sites to write/edit their essay :mad: so it's nice to have that QC check if you're an honest applicant:) they're probably weeding out a lot of dishonest applicants that way...meaning more seats for us? haha

would anyone know the weight of the essay and interview? by the time we arrive at this point, would it be do or die?

after much preparation, i was still very nervous. i am not confident in my essay and interview. but I worked really hard to get to that point, in terms of academics, research, pharm exp, ECs and application. any thoughts?

good luck everyone!

Like Joel said during introduction, the interview component is mainly to assess communication skills and fit for UCSF, but they are the ones who make the decision. Interview and essay are part of the ENTIRE application package, including PharmCAS essay, supplemental essays, GPAs, EC, leadership, passion for pharmacy....... I believe UCSF admissions really work hard to look at everything applicants can bring to the table. Worries don't help. Now that you have done so much to get to this point, you should be confident you will be a good fit for UCSF and for the profession of pharmacy!!
As March is approaching, the decision should come pretty soon!!! :xf:

Based on Joel's blog from previous years we shouldn't have to wait too long. They were usually ready to send out acceptances around March 10/11 I believe.... that's right around the corner.

Hope I get good news in time for Spring Break!

I was stalking last year's thread and it looked like the first notifications were received on March 16...but this was through snail mail. Hopefully, since they're aiming to use email, we'll hear something earlier :xf::luck::xf::luck:

:( sorry to hear that. i'm surprised they are sending things out so early. hope everything works out for ya!

Omgggg they are sending out decisions already?!? So nervous... =/

Just got the email!!! accepted!!!! Good luck to all :)

I got accepted!!!!! Yay!! I was so surprised to see the email today! Good luck everyone!

GOD I THOUGHT I WASN'T GOING TO GET INTO PHARMACY SCHOOL THIS YEAR

my first acceptance! <3 <3 <3

interviewed 1/27

I'm dying!! I WANT that email SO BAD! And i am praying for good news! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances... truly amazing! :)

Congrats to all that have been accepted so far!!! :oops: Anyone interviewed on 2/10 been accepted?!!? Ahh I've been refreshing my email like every 5 minutes lol

Congrats to all that have been accepted so far!!! :oops: Anyone interviewed on 2/10 been accepted?!!? Ahh I've been refreshing my email like every 5 minutes lol

I dont think school sends email after 5pm PST. Lol. take a break for the night, haha

Interviewed on 2/2 and accepted at 2:22 PM today! Congratulations to future classmates! I'm looking forward to an awesome 4 years! And good luck to everyone else!!!

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

If you haven't already, you guys should make a facebook group for everyone. I'm sure the current P's will be very eager to meet you guys.

Again, congratulations! We'll see you next year!

EDIT
Actually, we (some P1s) just made a group for you guys! Come find us and join! Search "UCSF School of Pharmacy Class of 2016"

Once an actual incoming P1 joins, I'll make them admin haha

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

If you haven't already, you guys should make a facebook group for everyone. I'm sure the current P's will be very eager to meet you guys.

Again, congratulations! We'll see you next year!

EDIT
Actually, we (some P1s) just made a group for you guys! Come find us and join! Search "UCSF School of Pharmacy Class of 2016"

Once an actual incoming P1 joins, I'll make them admin haha

Hey landar, I couldn't find the group :(. Is it private?

Wow! I'm seeing that people are already receiving emails for acceptances? I totally thought they'd send it out later...wowow! I'm really nervous now! Congrats to everyone so far :)

my heart beats extremely fast when i saw this thread ...

Did they tell you what to improve on a denied letter ? I was just curious because I know UCSF has done this before through mail

Last edited:
Wow! I'm seeing that people are already receiving emails for acceptances? I totally thought they'd send it out later...wowow! I'm really nervous now! Congrats to everyone so far :)

Thanks, and good luck! I think their choice to email this year expedited the process. A step toward technology! :p

anyone stuck between ucsd vs. ucsf. i thought i decided ucsd but now i'm rethinking about my decision? I love to hear everyone's different perspectives.

ps. I wish best of luck to the people who are still waiting!!! just hang in there, tomm is a whole new day for more emails

anyone stuck between ucsd vs. ucsf. i thought i decided ucsd but now i'm rethinking about my decision? I love to hear everyone's different perspectives.

ps. I wish best of luck to the people who are still waiting!!! just hang in there, tomm is a whole new day for more emails

I haven't even been accepted to UCSF yet (but already accepted to UCSD), and I've been having a hard time deciding where I would go if I were accepted to both. Hopefully I'll hear some good news from UCSF tomorrow, and then we shall discuss! :)

P.S. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!! You all must be so relieved and excited!!!

For those of you still waiting and wondering what the acceptance e-mail looks like, the subject line of mine read "UCSF Application Status." This sounded so neutral that I thought it was a rejection letter until I read the first sentence, which started with "I am pleased to inform you that..."

On another note, I can't find the Class of 2016 Facebook group either. Can someone post the link? And do we need to have a UCSF e-mail account in order to sign up? Thanks! :D

I thought I had a really hard time deciding between USC and UCSD, but now... UCSF and UCSD :( I am leaning more towards UCSF because I like their strong clinical program and basically everything about it! It's been my dream school! But since I am from the city, I would like to go somewhere new and enjoy the nice weather at SD. And SD has a pass/no pass system so that will definitely help with the stress...

For those of you still waiting and wondering what the acceptance e-mail looks like, the subject line of mine read "UCSF Application Status." This sounded so neutral that I thought it was a rejection letter until I read the first sentence, which started with "I am pleased to inform you that..."

On another note, I can't find the Class of 2016 Facebook group either. Can someone post the link? And do we need to have a UCSF e-mail account in order to sign up? Thanks! :D

No email account needed! Feel free to join here! http://www.facebook.com/groups/244184652338231/

Has anyone from the 2/17 interview date heard anything yet?

Check out the school specific UCSF 2011-2012 application thread. Also, I would expect to wait at least a few weeks longer- some of us, including me, interviewed in early January and have yet to hear anything. Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-M920 using SDN Mobile