This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gomfs123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Community,

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to both UCSF and UOP but I am having an agonizing time making a decision.

In all honestly, I can see myself tremendously happy at both schools, so it is not a question of best fit, but what is best for my future.

Since they're in the same city, living expenses can be seen as a toss up, leaving tuition as the huge deciding factor.

I'll start by saying this, I am a CA resident interested in POSSIBLY specializing, not set on it, but I do not want to close the door on it immediately. Thus, you would think UCSF would be the better option. But like I said, tuition plays a huge role for me, and as UOP is only three years, it offers the chance of one extra year of earning potential, and one less year of my loans accruing.

My calculations (for tuition alone) has four years of UCSF at around 350K, not including the 6% rate my loan is likely to hover at, with living costs around 120K. (so about 470K)
I have UOP's three years of tuition near 370K, again not including interest, with living expenses around 90K (one less year in SF). (so about 460K)

If anyone feels my numbers are incorrect or inconsistent please do not hesitate to correct me, these tuition numbers were obtained from information received at the interviews.

Im having a hard time because I love both schools, the people, and the atmosphere, but what is important to me is graduating with as little debt as possible, but to also enjoy the X years of dental school, which people say is less likely at an accelerated three year school.

Thus I'd like to ask current and prospective dentists their thoughts on this decision, although ultimately it is my own, the suggestions and opinions I hear on here will be tremendously helpful. My decision is due soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.PNG
    IMG_0007.PNG
    332.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Oh yes Sorry I made a mistake. Your tuition numbers are correct. However, when I include, kit costs, additional supplies, etc. (expenses they listed from the interview materials) the final tuition (+ supplies etc.) cost hovers around 240K for four years at UCSF, with cost of living still around 120K.

My mistake, that UCSF tuition and supplies price I have listed above is incorrect, its much closer to around 240K.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think according to someone else I know, UoP is geared towards making general dentists. UCSF however is more research based and is also P/F allowing easier specialization. I think cost-wise UoP is more if you are IS for UCSF. I would go to UCSF.

Hey, I'm currently a D4 at UCSF who was accepted at both schools. I chose UCSF because I felt like it offered more opportunities being a part of a bigger health sciences university as opposed to only a dental school at UOP, and I do feel like UCSF gave me the chance to explore different aspects of dentistry (research, academia, community service, etc.). I also didn't want to stress out too much during dental school and I felt that 3 years would be too intense for me. I think at UCSF we get good basic sciences/pre-clinical training, however now nearing the end of my dental school career I've learned that UOP offers a much better clinical experience. I wasn't sure if I wanted to specialize when I started dental school but now am going into ortho next year. If I were to go GP I feel like UOP would prepare you much better, whereas if you're from UCSF most graduates doing GP end up doing a AEGD/GPR due to inadequate clinical training (although I do have classmates who feel ready to go into practice right out of school, so it really varies between individuals). Either way you can't really go wrong since they're both great programs. Feel free to PM me with more specific questions!