UF c/o 2023 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

starlightbowl

SGU c/o 2023
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I'm going to go ahead and get this thread started. Feel free to share about yourself or any questions you may have, and hopefully we can help each other out! Applications are due soon, so good luck everybody!

As for me, UF is my in-state school and it will be my 3rd time applying there (third time's the charm! lol) I am looking to become a large animal veterinarian. 🙂
 
Is anyone able to help clarify one of the essay prompts?
"You have been involved in a discussion that addresses one of the topics below. In 300 words, please design a strategy that demonstrates leadership to support or counter at the state or national level a topic of your choice (select only one)..."
From what I understand, I feel that they are looking for you to just present an argument on being for or against a particular topic. The part that is confusing me is the part that says, "Design a strategy that demonstrates leadership"... are they just trying to get a feel of how you would present your case as a leader of this debate or are we supposed to discuss leadership somehow? I think I may be reading too much into it. Any thoughts that can help clarify this?
Thanks in advance!
 
Is anyone able to help clarify one of the essay prompts?
"You have been involved in a discussion that addresses one of the topics below. In 300 words, please design a strategy that demonstrates leadership to support or counter at the state or national level a topic of your choice (select only one)..."
From what I understand, I feel that they are looking for you to just present an argument on being for or against a particular topic. The part that is confusing me is the part that says, "Design a strategy that demonstrates leadership"... are they just trying to get a feel of how you would present your case as a leader of this debate or are we supposed to discuss leadership somehow? I think I may be reading too much into it. Any thoughts that can help clarify this?
Thanks in advance!

I'm still trying to figure out how to tackle this question as well. Have you gotten any feedback from anyone on it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I talked to my friend and she had a good point. It sounds like you are taking a stance on the topic you choose as if you were leading the debate and you are just making a strong argument for your position. They could ask you about it in your interview and they may try to sway your opinion but you need to stick to your guns on it and sound like you did your research and be able to debate it.
 
hey guys! I was wondering how y'all are addressing the supplemental essay question that asks you to summarize your academic performance. Mine is pretty consistent; no gaps, withdrawals, or failed courses. I took a moderate-heavy course load all 4 years. Is it worth delving into the 2 or 3 B- I got? Not really sure what to put for this question if I have nothing to explain. Thanks!
 
hey guys! I was wondering how y'all are addressing the supplemental essay question that asks you to summarize your academic performance. Mine is pretty consistent; no gaps, withdrawals, or failed courses. I took a moderate-heavy course load all 4 years. Is it worth delving into the 2 or 3 B- I got? Not really sure what to put for this question if I have nothing to explain. Thanks!

I don't think it's worth explaining your 2 or 3 Bs. If there are no discrepancies in your academic record, just summarize exactly that. You took a heavy course load while maintaining a 3.5-4.0 (whatever GPA) throughout your academic career. I think this question allows those that have blemishes in their record (*coughmecough*) to explain more than what was in the VMCAS explanation essay. Don't highlight things that you don't need attention brought to. You're trying to make yourself shine remember!
 
Hey guys! I'm having a hard time writing the UF supplementals. Specifically, the one mentioning what has prepared you for vet school and the rigors of the profession, should I mention my experiences again? I don't want to keep bringing up the same topics.
 
hey guys! I was wondering how y'all are addressing the supplemental essay question that asks you to summarize your academic performance. Mine is pretty consistent; no gaps, withdrawals, or failed courses. I took a moderate-heavy course load all 4 years. Is it worth delving into the 2 or 3 B- I got? Not really sure what to put for this question if I have nothing to explain. Thanks!
I feel the same way. I'm not sure how much to write word count wise since my performance was pretty consistent. I barely have 100 words!
 
I kind of picked a couple of experiences and explained how and why they prepared me for the program. I especially chose experiences that may have been cool or unique that would stick out and I would want them to pay attention to. Word/character count wise... I didnt pay too much attention to it and some of my essays dont come near the maximum, but I felt that if I said what I needed to say then it would be good enough and better than senslessly babbling to make it seem longer (like I'm sure many of us have done to meet word count minimums in college essays lol). It's a maximum, not a minimum. I'm sure the people reading the essays get tired of it after a while and may appreciate essays that are short, sweet, and to the point. That may stick out to them better and they may remember more of what you were trying to say that way.
 
Hi everyone! I'm going to go ahead and get this thread started. Feel free to share about yourself or any questions you may have, and hopefully we can help each other out! Applications are due soon, so good luck everybody!

As for me, UF is my in-state school and it will be my 3rd time applying there (third time's the charm! lol) I am looking to become a large animal veterinarian. 🙂
This is my 3rd time applying also! good luck to us both!!!
 
For the design a strategy question requiring us to pick a topic and debate it, did you use references and if so cite them? I feel like that would take away from the already limited word count, but I feel the need to cite. ???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not UF vetmed ( Applying)but I can give all yall who make it in the best places to find parking. I'm ansci so we share with vetmed 🙂. I can also point anyone to places to live as well.
 
Good luck everyone! I'm a first year at UFCVM and used SDN throughout my application cycle as a nice distraction/any questions I had.
Go Gators! Feel free to DM any questions! I may not respond asap because vet school, but I can check periodically!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the reply, wouldn't that be pretty short notice though since they interview in January/February?
Some schools don’t give you tons of time before an interview. Illinois you get a month max, sometimes less.
Check the last couple years UF threads and you’ll see exactly when people were notified and when their interviews were.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yall may want roomates if you get in as rent near UF is 890-1037 for a 500-650sqft 1b1b apartment. 2b are a bit more affordable with a roomie.
 
It varies. I know Towne Parc is really popular among vet students (no pet limit lol) and it's like $725 for a 1/1. It's still definitely cheaper to live with roommates but I know for myself and others, it can be better for personal wellbeing to live alone. There is a class Facebook page you'll be added to after admission that can help out with finding housing and roommates.