UF c/o 2023 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got placed on the alternate list, still hope I guess (OOS) :/ so sorry to all the rejections and good luck to everyone else! Anyone know the chances of getting called for an interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who got interviews and good luck to everyone waiting to hear from other schools! Anyone know anything about UF's interview process?

Congrats to those who got interviews and good luck to everyone waiting to hear from other schools! Anyone know anything about UF's interview process?

My understanding from the email is that it is about 45 minutes long with 3 interviewers. I am assuming open-file, but I am sure they will give more information.

Hey! I'm in the first year class at UF, and long time lurker who finally made a profile solely to answer this question!
The interview is 45-50 minutes, three interviewers- unsure if it was open or closed file because they asked me to list out my experiences and asked me questions that were in my packet, however I think they mentioned one person had read my file and two hadn't but don't quote me on that.
Everyone is super friendly, one person will be a 3rd or 4th year student and one is faculty, and another is usually a community veterinarian or other faculty. For instance, I had a Large Animal DVM, a PhD researcher on faculty, and a 3rd year student. The questions range from "tell me about your veterinary experience" to "how would you deal with the iguana problem" and everything in between. Check out the page on SDN with interview questions- just google UF CVM SDN interview and you should find it.
Last year it was interview, tour, and then an evening Q&A session but I heard this year they are changing up how it is run so I'm not sure what's going on during the day!
Let me know if you have any more questions and best of luck! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Second what was said above! This is my second time interviewing with UF, and from what I remember, one person read my file, and two had not, again, not 100% sure of the number. It already seems very different (with the way emails have been etc.), but I would assume the general idea stays the same. For me, my interview was in someones office, where I was in the whirly chair, which definitely threw me off a bit, it being my first interview. So don't expect the super traditional style table with chairs on either side, your environment might be different!

I think im probably one of the few IS folks who got rejected .*shrugs*
Don't let it get ya down!! It definitely sucks getting that rejection (got one from UF myself, last year), but you've got other chances, and it might just be steering you to the best possible decision for you. You never know what could come of a closed door. (sorry for the cliches)

Reactions: 3 users
Don't let it get ya down!! It definitely sucks getting that rejection (got one from UF myself, last year), but you've got other chances, and it might just be steering you to the best possible decision for you. You never know what could come of a closed door. (sorry for the cliches)
Im 28 so im hoping other schools don't reject me. Uf averages my retakes so thats why I wasn't competitive I feel. If they replaced I would be with a masters. I just feel down about this cycle. Im old and tired of fighting.

Hey! I'm in the first year class at UF, and long time lurker who finally made a profile solely to answer this question!
The interview is 45-50 minutes, three interviewers- unsure if it was open or closed file because they asked me to list out my experiences and asked me questions that were in my packet, however I think they mentioned one person had read my file and two hadn't but don't quote me on that.
Everyone is super friendly, one person will be a 3rd or 4th year student and one is faculty, and another is usually a community veterinarian or other faculty. For instance, I had a Large Animal DVM, a PhD researcher on faculty, and a 3rd year student. The questions range from "tell me about your veterinary experience" to "how would you deal with the iguana problem" and everything in between. Check out the page on SDN with interview questions- just google UF CVM SDN interview and you should find it.
Last year it was interview, tour, and then an evening Q&A session but I heard this year they are changing up how it is run so I'm not sure what's going on during the day!
Let me know if you have any more questions and best of luck! :)

Hi! When you say that they asked you to list out your experiences, did they expect you to remember everything you put down? I feel like i have a lot of little experiences that on my application that were like 6-10 hours here or there that what if i forget to say or something during the interview? or was it more so talk about your main things on your application?

Was waitlisted for an interview today. I’m IS.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! When you say that they asked you to list out your experiences, did they expect you to remember everything you put down? I feel like i have a lot of little experiences that on my application that were like 6-10 hours here or there that what if i forget to say or something during the interview? or was it more so talk about your main things on your application?

It was more of a general thing- I just talked about my biggest experience which was in a small animal clinic which is what I’ve been gearing torwards for years and I talked about how I dabbled in wildlife for like 50 hours but otherwise was all small animal and why if that makes sense! I don’t think they want a verbatim response out of your packet it’s just more an opening the door getting to know you question!

Reactions: 1 users
It was more of a general thing- I just talked about my biggest experience which was in a small animal clinic which is what I’ve been gearing torwards for years and I talked about how I dabbled in wildlife for like 50 hours but otherwise was all small animal and why if that makes sense! I don’t think they want a verbatim response out of your packet it’s just more an opening the door getting to know you question!
Oh thats great to know, thank you so much!!!

you got in somewhere else right?
Yes! I received a conditional offer from Sydney but not my unconditional offer. I’m waiting to get that before I withdraw my application from all the other (15) schools lol.

Im 28 so im hoping other schools don't reject me. Uf averages my retakes so thats why I wasn't competitive I feel. If they replaced I would be with a masters. I just feel down about this cycle. Im old and tired of fighting.

If you’re old, I’m ancient!! This is also my third time applying. If I can stay optimistic so can you! It’s hard, believe me, I’m hoping for schools to see past me mediocre GPAs and see what I actually have to offer. But if there’s a will, there’s a way (so cliche I know lol).

Yes! I received a conditional offer from Sydney but not my unconditional offer. I’m waiting to get that before I withdraw my application from all the other (15) schools lol.
What other schools did you apply to? Any other interview offers?
Hope you get your offer from Sydney! That’s where your SO got a job offer also, correct?

What other schools did you apply to? Any other interview offers?
Hope you get your offer from Sydney! That’s where your SO got a job offer also, correct?
Geez..the list is shorter for the schools I didn’t apply to!

Illinois
UPenn
Colorado
Purdue
Auburn
Georgia
Ohio
Virginia-Maryland (waitlisted for interview)
Washington (offered interview, haven’t accepted or declined yet)
Michigan (offered interview, haven’t accepted or declined yet)
Midwestern (Offered interview, haven’t accepted or declined yet)
Royal Veterinary College (interviewed in November)
University of Glasgow (Interview scheduled for February, need to withdraw application still)
University of Edinburgh (interview offered, offered lapses due to me not accepting or declining).

Thank you! He did get a job offer there. He works for a company that operates around the world so it was super convenient.

If you’re old, I’m ancient!! This is also my third time applying. If I can stay optimistic so can you! It’s hard, believe me, I’m hoping for schools to see past me mediocre GPAs and see what I actually have to offer. But if there’s a will, there’s a way (so cliche I know lol).
With me my gpas arent mediocre unless they average so I tried to focus on schools that took retaken as the grade they count. Still Wisconsin only takes 96 people and my GRE was a 304 so that's hurting me there :/

Im 28/ Im old and tired of fighting.
I just got rejected for the second time from my home state. I’m almost 50. Do not give up hope at your age!! “You have to have rain before you can make rainbows”. Chin up!

Reactions: 4 users
I just got rejected for the second time from my home state. I’m almost 50. Do not give up hope at your age!! “You have to have rain before you can make rainbows”. Chin up!
Wow if its any consolation I know vets who applied to school in their 40s who are doing awesome now.

With me my gpas arent mediocre unless they average so I tried to focus on schools that took retaken as the grade they count. Still Wisconsin only takes 96 people and my GRE was a 304 so that's hurting me there :/
Same, I did great on the retakes and am working on my thesis for my MPH. So I’ve proven I can handle the workload.

Same, I did great on the retakes and am working on my thesis for my MPH. So I’ve proven I can handle the workload.
Amazing I did a non-thesis because its competitive to even get in non-thesis but I was able to get a appeal letter from my department chair on my behalf to the assistant dean who basically made me promise I wasn't taking it just for vet school because I'd never get in per his words. I said no extension is my backup or Ag agent and they like masters for inspection.

I love UF's animal sciences they are like a family.

You'll still have a 30+ year career as a veterinarian, even if you don't get in until next year. Don't stress! :)
If I got in somewhere id work until I die on the job, I know an 85 year old vet who still practices.

Listen, don’t lose hope. I screwed up quite majorly in undergrad and still got a interview from my IS, even got one for the dual degree PhD program. I just have a broad range of experience over these last 4 years. And honestly, I didn’t know much about the veterinary field until about 4 years ago...AFTER I graduated. I’ll be 27 this month so don’t lose hope at all. Perseverance will carry you a long way! A broad understanding and your unique experiences will also set you apart and I think for me personally, the fact that I didn’t give up after a ****ty undergrad career and took my career path to another level probably is what got me an opportunity above all. Grades and age aren’t everything. If anything I think being a little older is better in terms of maturity and just your overall readiness. Keep your head up and keep persevering! Good luck.

Listen, don’t lose hope. I screwed up quite majorly in undergrad and still got a interview from my IS, even got one for the dual degree PhD program. I just have a broad range of experience over these last 4 years. And honestly, I didn’t know much about the veterinary field until about 4 years ago...AFTER I graduated. I’ll be 27 this month so don’t lose hope at all. Perseverance will carry you a long way! A broad understanding and your unique experiences will also set you apart and I think for me personally, the fact that I didn’t give up after a ****ty undergrad career and took my career path to another level probably is what got me an opportunity above all. Grades and age aren’t everything. If anything I think being a little older is better in terms of maturity and just your overall readiness. Keep your head up and keep persevering! Good luck.
Thats where I hope I will be ok other places. I have a lot of differing animal experience without a vet. Most of my vet is LA but Ive done around 600 small and 2900 large ( underestimation) with some exotics and wildlife at a clinic that did so.

Thats where I hope I will be ok other places. I have a lot of differing animal experience without a vet. Most of my vet is LA but Ive done around 600 small and 2900 large ( underestimation) with some exotics and wildlife at a clinic that did so.
You WILL get in somewhere! Don’t be so hard on yourself! Where else are you waiting to hear back from?

OOS Alternate Status.

It's bittersweet. I honestly didn't think I'd get past the computer never mind get so close to an interview, but it's almost harder knowing how close I was.

Anyone know a past alternate who received an invite to interview? Or what the general chances are?

Does anyone know if UF tracks, and if they do what the tracks are? I can't find that information anywhere online.

Does anyone know if UF tracks, and if they do what the tracks are? I can't find that information anywhere online.
UF does track. You have to either do large or small animal. The first two years, everyone takes the same classes. Third and fourth year, the classes are different between the two tracks. Large and small will take totally different classes.

UF does track. You have to either do large or small animal. The first two years, everyone takes the same classes. Third and fourth year, the classes are different between the two tracks. Large and small will take totally different classes.
Oh ok thank you!! If you're small animal tracking is there still opportunities to take large animal electives and vice versa?

Oh ok thank you!! If you're small animal tracking is there still opportunities to take large animal electives and vice versa?

We do have a mixed animal track that you might be interested in. You should also check out our student handbook, which is available online, lists all the electives and elective policies, and may help you think of questions to ask your interviewers.

Whoops did not realize there was a mixed animal track! (and an equine one apparently???) Here's a link to the handbook: https://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/files/2018/09/Student-Handbook-092718.pdf. They've never really explained the tracks to us, so definitely worth talking to someone about. As I understand it (from the handbook), it looks like you can track mixed but you are required to choose either small or large animal focus for the core courses in 3rd and 4th year (you can't mix and match - see the separate schedules here for example https://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/files/2018/11/4th-year-Fall-2018.pdf). The electives are where you get some freedom to mix. One nice thing I'll mention about UF is that they have block tuition, so you almost never have to pay extra for any electives, regardless of how many you take.

We do have a mixed animal track that you might be interested in. You should also check out our student handbook, which is available online, lists all the electives and elective policies, and may help you think of questions to ask your interviewers.
Oh ok thank you, I'll look at this now!!

Whoops did not realize there was a mixed animal track! (and an equine one apparently???) Here's a link to the handbook: https://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/files/2018/09/Student-Handbook-092718.pdf. They've never really explained the tracks to us, so definitely worth talking to someone about. As I understand it (from the handbook), it looks like you can track mixed but you are required to choose either small or large animal focus for the core courses in 3rd and 4th year (you can't mix and match - see the separate schedules here for example https://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/files/2018/11/4th-year-Fall-2018.pdf). The electives are where you get some freedom to mix. One nice thing I'll mention about UF is that they have block tuition, so you almost never have to pay extra for any electives, regardless of how many you take.
Thank you so much for the links!! I'll definitely look this over. Thats great to hear because I am also especially excited to take a few exotics electives, and I know UF's program is great in that regard!

It's interesting that the GRE will not be required for next year's application cycle. Does anyone know about the people who will be conducting the interviews? Is it still going to be two people who have not seen your application and one who has?

How many people are they interviewing this year? What are your chances of being admitted once granted an interview?

Got put on the alternate list for UF. I'm sure this like a waiting list, but does anyone know how many people get put on this list? They wouldn't specify

It's interesting that the GRE will not be required for next year's application cycle. Does anyone know about the people who will be conducting the interviews? Is it still going to be two people who have not seen your application and one who has?

I haven’t heard anything about this changing so I would assume this is still the interview format. It’s one 3rd or 4th year student, one practicing vet, and one faculty member. When I interviewed, the faculty member who had seen my packet had only looked over it briefly. I don’t think they have a lot of time with it before the interview and of course they interview a lot of people, so don’t assume they know or remember the finer details of your app.

How many people are they interviewing this year? What are your chances of being admitted once granted an interview?

While it varies year to year, you can check out past class statistics for things like number of applicants, number of interviews held, and number of offers extended. Every year application numbers rise. Here is a link to that page: Admitted Class Statistics