This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayuse

Reaction score
UF vs Case

UF

pros:
- nice weather
- more global health opportunities than Case
- lecture is recorded and non-mandatory
- affordable housing within walking distance of campus
- less expensive (49k OOS) but could become IS (37k) after year 2 (over 4 years this is about a 85k total difference in price)
- earlier clinical exposure
- seemed like a very welcoming environment

cons:
- not within driving distance to S.O. or family (far away from both)
- Gainsville...college town so there is less to do
- less free time / less flexible schedule than Case (spend maybe 4-5 hours a week in class first year, maybe 7-8 more hours a week 2nd year)
- primarily lecture based curriculum
- students seemed more stressed out
- 2nd year the schedule becomes more crowded than 1st year as in there's more mandatory stuff you have to go to)
- exams every 4 weeks and are Multiple choice

Case

Pros:
- IQ sessions more engaging than lecture
- less than 4 hours driving from S.O. (long distance either way - been dating for 5+ years so it's a serious relationship) & closer to family by 4 hours
- research requirement
- prestige / possibly more opportunities due to prestige and higher rank (T25)
- more flexible scheduling and time outside of class than UF
- students seemed very relaxed
- beautiful and new health education campus
- non-mandatory lecture
- more diversity in student body
- Cleveland clinic
- exams only every few months and are essay based

Cons:
- Cleveland ( I really hate the cold)
- full price (65k tuition)
- no global health program until next year 2020
- affordable housing not within walking distance of new campus
- lecture not recorded
- really no clinical exposure until 3rd year
- larger student body this year so it seems like it would be harder to do things like volunteering at the free clinic

Summary: I don't get off any of my 3 WL I would attend over both these schools, I need to decide between the two. Case seems like a better fit academically and is closer to my support systems although I think I would like living in Florida way more and it would be a cheaper option for me. I really like UF's early clinical exposure and global health opportunities, but it seems like my schedule would be significantly less flexible than at Case so it may be harder to do research and extracurriculars that I want to do at UF.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about UF, but I'd say that Case is one of the most underrated schools in the Top 30. Four hospitals with completely different patient populations. You don't just get Cleveland Clinic, you also get a safety net hospital (MetroHealth), third largest VA hospital, and University Health-Rainbow babies. This all belongs to one medical school! Also strong step scores and a 2019 match list that looks like a T10! They are literally pumping out surgeons over there (if that interests you).

The lack of global health opportunities is unfortunate but note that 15% of Case students still manage to have "global health experiences." Furthermore, how early your clinical exposure is really depends on you. Formal opportunities can be nice, but just reach out to faculty and make it happen!

You mention you'll probably like Florida better but then you list Gainesville as a con given it's a college town. I suspect this really comes down to weather. Can't help you there my friend. Cleveland will be COLD. All I can say is dress in layers. You'll acclimate.

Academics + SO seems to point to Case, even more so if you have any interest in a competitive specialty. Alas, congrats on your choices!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know much about UF, but I'd say that Case is one of the most underrated schools in the Top 30. Four hospitals with completely different patient populations. You don't just get Cleveland Clinic, you also get a safety net hospital (MetroHealth), third largest VA hospital, and University Health-Rainbow babies. This all belongs to one medical school! Also strong step scores and a 2019 match list that looks like a T10! They are literally pumping out surgeons over there (if that interests you).

The lack of global health opportunities is unfortunate but note that 15% of Case students still manage to have "global health experiences." Furthermore, how early your clinical exposure is really depends on you. Formal opportunities can be nice, but just reach out to faculty and make it happen!

You mention you'll probably like Florida better but then you list Gainesville as a con given it's a college town. I suspect this really comes down to weather. Can't help you there my friend. Cleveland will be COLD. All I can say is dress in layers. You'll acclimate.

Academics + SO seems to point to Case, even more so if you have any interest in a competitive specialty. Alas, congrats on your choices!
Just saw you sig...15 acceptances WOW

Members don't see this ad :)