UFCVM c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So after interviews are sent out decisions are based solely on the interview? Like our application doesn't matter anymore? I know thats how VMCVM does it but wasn't sure about UF
Yes that's how I understood it the Casper matters probably now but the interview is what determines if you get in. Your packet is seen but not your GPA. Sometimes they don't even read the packet as an interviewer. You get 3 people, 2 vets and a 3rd or 4th year student and all matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any idea how many people applied this cycle? I’m hoping the video portion of the app deterred people from applying…. That’s probably wishful thinking though

Anyone have any idea how many people applied this cycle? I’m hoping the video portion of the app deterred people from applying…. That’s probably wishful thinking though
The fact that having a video would deter folks from applying is an issue. We have to look at why it would deter folks: Age, financial insecurity, race, physical appearance, disability etc. I have a deaf classmate who is an amazing student and I won't speak for him but I know if I was dead I'd be scared to do a video where someone may discriminate against me due to having to use sign or my speech patterns. I'm one of the DEI student committee reps and trust me this has been brought up.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that having a video would deter folks from applying is an issue. We have to look at why it would deter folks: Age, financial insecurity, race, physical appearance, disability etc. I have a deaf classmate who is an amazing student and I won't speak for him but I know if I was dead I'd be scared to do a video where someone may discriminate against me due to having to use sign or my speech patterns. I'm one of the DEI student committee reps and trust me this has been brought up.
You make such a good point, I didn’t even think of that! Were they able to make accommodations to people? I could see this being a reason that they wouldn’t do this in the future, or at least make it optional

You make such a good point, I didn’t even think of that! Were they able to make accommodations to people? I could see this being a reason that they wouldn’t do this in the future, or at least make it optional
I have no idea because it was just done. I think if someone asked they would but many may be embarrassed to ask. We are trying to get a more diverse group of students but it seems we are fighting a losing battle. I think 2024 was most diverse but 2025 was a big step back. There's a lot of changes to the curriculum coming that are supposed to be positive. I'm sorry y'all had to apply during the crazy.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I have no idea because it was just done. I think if someone asked they would but many may be embarrassed to ask. We are trying to get a more diverse group of students but it seems we are fighting a losing battle. I think 2024 was most diverse but 2025 was a big step back. There's a lot of changes to the curriculum coming that are supposed to be positive. I'm sorry y'all had to apply during the crazy.
It’s a terrible idea to force people to make a video and not expect there to be consequences of diversity. What about all the people that did videos with a professional? So many of us couldn’t afford that so does that mean we have less of a chance? The video thing sucks. Period.

Reactions: 2 users
lol OOS rejection. Not surprising given their GPA averages last cycle and the fact that I have no views on my application video

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
OOS rejected. I had several views on my video though. The rejections have really been rolling in this week

• Care
OOS Interview Waitlist. I was straight up rejected last year so it’s better news. Any one have insight on how the process works? Good luck everyone

• Care
IS interview offer! I'm so excited as UF is my top choice, and good luck to everyone who applied elsewhere who wasn't offered an interview this cycle.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Rejection. It be like that haha

OOS rejection. had views on my video as well… this one hit a little harder than the others :(

OOS rejection, hit me really hard too UF was one of my top choices

Congratulations to everyone who got interviews!! I don’t remember much about mine haha but am happy to try to answer any questions about the program :) To those who didn’t, don’t give up- so many of my classmates were once in your shoes and are now two exams away from being 1/8 of a DVM :)

How do you guys deal with the rejections? They're starting to hit me really hard
Hey do not take it too hard (you only have a 7% chance of getting in, the odds are against all of us). My first time applying I was truly knocked down as I was straight up rejected, but do not view it as defeat yet an opportunity to showcase your resilience!! This cycle, I have been accepted into a couple of vet schools and got an interview here at UF. If you have any questions on what I did to become a more competitive applicant just let me know. Keep your head up, and get your punching gloves out because you will knock them out of the park.

OOS rejection, expected that lol. Crossing fingers for Ohio but I’m happy to know I have other options

OOS rejected. Had views on my video too, but good luck to everyone!

How do you guys deal with the rejections? They're starting to hit me really hard
Like the previous person answered- remember that the odds are against all of us. The first school I heard back from was an acceptance, then an interview invite, and then followed by three rejections in a row. Even with an acceptance under my belt I am still feeling defeated from these rejections. I have thoughts like "maybe if I only get accepted to one school it was a fluke and I'm really not qualified to go," but that's not true. It is incredibly difficult to get in. You don't have to just be qualified, you have to go against thousands of other qualified applicants for very few spots. Just remind yourself that, and don't give up. Your time will come. And if you have to wait more than one application round, just think how much more prepared you'll be for vet school when you get it. you got this

IS interview!!!!!! So stoked! Congrats to everyone else who received one! And to those that unfortunately didn't, please do not give up. I was flat out rejected last year from every school I applied to and I was so defeated. Continue to be persistent and chase after that dream if it's really what you want for your future.

IS interview!!!!!! So stoked! Congrats to everyone else who received one! And to those that unfortunately didn't, please do not give up. I was flat out rejected last year from every school I applied to and I was so defeated. Continue to be persistent and chase after that dream if it's really what you want for your future.
I too was rejected without interview last year and was completely crushed. This year I am so grateful to have an IS interview. Do NOT GIVE UP. Continue your passions and add to your resume :)

IS interview!! Beyond excited. Last year I was offered a waitlist position but unfortunately was never pulled. I was rejected from every other school last year (8 total) and have already received a rejection this year. Please, for those of you that did not get an interview try try again!! Next year just might be your year.

For those with interview invites, did you get a confirmation email when you completed the survey?

IS interview waitlist... honestly hit different because I was either expecting interview invite or a rejection lol. And congrats to everyone who got interviews!!! And sending good luck for other school interview invites for those unfortunately rejected this cycle ❤️

For those with interview invites, did you get a confirmation email when you completed the survey?
I didn’t get one! I think at the end of the survey it said we would get an email closer to the date of our interview..

For those of you that got accepted an interview, do you mind sharing what you think made you stand out from other applicants? And if this is your 2nd+ time applying what did you do to make you a stronger applicant?

For those of you that got accepted an interview, do you mind sharing what you think made you stand out from other applicants? And if this is your 2nd+ time applying what did you do to make you a stronger applicant?
This is my second time applying. I got a job in the field of vet med I’m really interested in. It was also a place that helped me grow my skills beyond general small animal practice which I think like everyone who applies has to be honest.

This is my first time applying, and for me, I think what may have gotten me the interview was my variety of experience. I have a high overall GPA and science GPA, as I think many of those that apply do. However, I have a variety of experiences, including working with aquatic animals, wildlife, growing up caring for and riding horses, as well as a current job at a small animal clinic. I'm primarily interested in zoo medicine or exotics, and this is what the majority of my veterinary experience is. I was honestly very worried about my application because I didn't have a ton of veterinary hours at the time of my application (maybe 400), but I explained this in my explanation statement.

Hey! This was my second time applying as my first time I was straight up rejected. I graduated from UF last December, and I felt like my weak point was my GPA. So I decided to take post-graduate classes to improve my overall GPA and my science GPA. It was costly but looks like its working out. I took some classes through the UF vet school and from FAU. I also did an internship at a wildlife hospital in Costa Rica for a month (while taking the online courses to up my GPA) from jan to feb of this year. I also got a job as a nightshift ER vet tech at an emergency animal hospital. On Mondays (one of my days off) I shadowed a specialty surgeon at a different animal hospital. I also had a side gig of walking dogs and working as a secretary at an electrical company (which didn't want to but when I did my packet review last cycle they told me that I didn't have a job outside of the animal field so that was one of the reasons why I didn't get in since I did not diversify my career choices)
But I would say one of the best things to do is to diversify your animal experience to show that you truly understand the profession. I have aquatic, wildlife (African, tropical, and Florida widlife), zoo med, small animal, equine, emergency, and surgery experience. I would say I gained a lot more hours this past year working full-time in the ER. I also had FWC research experience (they really like research experience). If you have any other questions just let me know. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
  • Care
Hey! This was my second time applying as my first time I was straight up rejected. I graduated from UF last December, and I felt like my weak point was my GPA. So I decided to take post-graduate classes to improve my overall GPA and my science GPA. It was costly but looks like its working out. I took some classes through the UF vet school and from FAU. I also did an internship at a wildlife hospital in Costa Rica for a month (while taking the online courses to up my GPA) from jan to feb of this year. I also got a job as a nightshift ER vet tech at an emergency animal hospital. On Mondays (one of my days off) I shadowed a specialty surgeon at a different animal hospital. I also had a side gig of walking dogs and working as a secretary at an electrical company (which didn't want to but when I did my packet review last cycle they told me that I didn't have a job outside of the animal field so that was one of the reasons why I didn't get in since I did not diversify my career choices)
But I would say one of the best things to do is to diversify your animal experience to show that you truly understand the profession. I have aquatic, wildlife (African, tropical, and Florida widlife), zoo med, small animal, equine, emergency, and surgery experience. I would say I gained a lot more hours this past year working full-time in the ER. I also had FWC research experience (they really like research experience). If you have any other questions just let me know. I hope this helps!
Where did you intern in Costa Rica? Was it Wild Sun by chance?

OOS rejected. This one hurt a little cuz it was in my top 4. It's ok cuz I already got accepted to Midwestern back in September. CONGRATS TO THOSE WHO GOT AN INTERVIEW KILL IT!!!!!!

• Care
Im a second time applicant! I was waitlisted by 3 schools last cycle but never ended up getting an acceptance. When I did file reviews, the most common piece of feedback I received was just to get more experience. I had only gotten hours during my college summers, so I definitely was not on the same level as some people who had thousands of hours. I graduated undergrad back in May, worked super hard my senior year to bump up my last 45 GPA, and have been working full-time as a vet assistant at a small animal hospital since graduation. I remember Alex Avelino telling me in my file review that applying more than once shows the drive and determination for the profession that they look for in students, so I think my re-applying, strengthening my essays, and working full-time is what got me an interview this time around. I am already doing much better this cycle (just got my first acceptance!) so do not be discouraged by having to apply multiple times. I could not be more thankful for this extra year of experience, although unplanned. I feel so much more confident in my skills and my ability to make it through school!

lol OOS rejection. Not surprising given their GPA averages last cycle and the fact that I have no views on my application video
I will say OOS is harder than IS by a mile. Someone got in with a 3.0 or just above last cycle. It's a mixed bag. Everyone should do a file review who gets rejected. I have a classmate who is a cvt and had great references and good grades. Took them 3-4 tries.

Im a second time applicant! I was waitlisted by 3 schools last cycle but never ended up getting an acceptance. When I did file reviews, the most common piece of feedback I received was just to get more experience. I had only gotten hours during my college summers, so I definitely was not on the same level as some people who had thousands of hours. I graduated undergrad back in May, worked super hard my senior year to bump up my last 45 GPA, and have been working full-time as a vet assistant at a small animal hospital since graduation. I remember Alex Avelino telling me in my file review that applying more than once shows the drive and determination for the profession that they look for in students, so I think my re-applying, strengthening my essays, and working full-time is what got me an interview this time around. I am already doing much better this cycle (just got my first acceptance!) so do not be discouraged by having to apply multiple times. I could not be more thankful for this extra year of experience, although unplanned. I feel so much more confident in my skills and my ability to make it through school!
I'd advise also using advice from other schools given on your application. It was something small for me like citing sources on their persuasion essay I pressured Avelino to give me all info as to what was wrong. I got more help from Virginia Maryland's advisor who took the time to really sit down on the phone and had me send her my essays. I was told by her that I was above a 3.0 and to focus on essays and my experience writing ( what I did and what it taught me written on every experience in a blurb). I basically got told be Avelino that my GPA was bad so don't apply I have little chance. Glad I listened to LSU and VMCVM because I got interviews at CSU, MSU, UF, was waitlist accepted at Iowa. Got accepted with a scholarship at MSU but went to UF due to costs. CSU was put on waitlist accepted after interview and would have gotten off but declined to wait as UF accepted.

Something may be up that's holding y'all back and it may be simple like for me it was not putting many hours of hs- college community service outside of vetmed because it was old.

I don't mean to hate on our advisor but a lot of folks got into UF against her advice so I would advise you to ask everyone you can to go over your packet and that includes UF department heads of what you want to go into. You want food med ask them,. These folks are listed on the website.

Request your VMCAS printout and scores and have folks look at them. I didn't give up when folks told me no, I'm glad I didn't.

Im applying for the first time. I got OOS waitlisted for UF. But I got a few other interviews. I have a pretty high GPA overall, including science. I have over 2,000 hours working as a vet assistant since my sophomore year. I think what might make my application less competitive is just the fact that I only have small animal experience. Im still waiting to hear back from 3 schools that don't do interviews

OOS rejection. LOR from a department head at UFCVM and invited to lecture at UF at the vet school 🤷🏻‍♀️. Extensive experience. Decent to solid GPA depending on what you’re looking at in my education (last 45 etc). MSc in Ecology. Ten years of experience in animal science research and computer science. To all of us who didn’t make the cut….we don’t know the whole story and we never will. Trust the process. UF has been my first choice for years. Years. But, I got a full ride interview offer from a top 5 school and I am grateful and excited about it. Head up. Forward. Just don’t quit on yourself. You are your best advocate. Putting away my soap box now. Go gators (I mean that sincerely). Y’all are a talented bunch of humans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users