UFCVM c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS interview invite. ❤️

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you that got accepted an interview, do you mind sharing what you think made you stand out from other applicants? And if this is your 2nd+ time applying what did you do to make you a stronger applicant?
This is my 2nd time applying, first time to Florida. I got an OOS interview, and I would guess that the one thing that may have made me stand out with veterinary research experience. I know there is not a lot of opportunities out there for it… so it’s tough, but honestly has expanded my understanding of the profession so much more! Other than that, most of my experience was private practice small animal and some veterinary oncology experience.

Im a second time applicant! I was waitlisted by 3 schools last cycle but never ended up getting an acceptance. When I did file reviews, the most common piece of feedback I received was just to get more experience. I had only gotten hours during my college summers, so I definitely was not on the same level as some people who had thousands of hours. I graduated undergrad back in May, worked super hard my senior year to bump up my last 45 GPA, and have been working full-time as a vet assistant at a small animal hospital since graduation. I remember Alex Avelino telling me in my file review that applying more than once shows the drive and determination for the profession that they look for in students, so I think my re-applying, strengthening my essays, and working full-time is what got me an interview this time around. I am already doing much better this cycle (just got my first acceptance!) so do not be discouraged by having to apply multiple times. I could not be more thankful for this extra year of experience, although unplanned. I feel so much more confident in my skills and my ability to make it through school!
Hi, how did you manage to get a file review with UF? This is my second year in a row getting rejected from UF (my IS) and also second year they’ve told me they don’t do individual file reviews. It’s honestly really disheartening considering how much time and money I’ve sunk into applying here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, how did you manage to get a file review with UF? This is my second year in a row getting rejected from UF (my IS) and also second year they’ve told me they don’t do individual file reviews. It’s honestly really disheartening considering how much time and money I’ve sunk into applying here.
If you get past the gpa computer filtering system you can request a packet review, as you had the admissions team look over your application. Last year I was rejected and it was mentioned in my email, then in January I set up a meeting to review my packet with Alex.

If you get past the gpa computer filtering system you can request a packet review, as you had the admissions team look over your application. Last year I was rejected and it was mentioned in my email, then in January I set up a meeting to review my packet with Alex.
So if it was not mentioned in my email then I’m out of luck?

So if it was not mentioned in my email then I’m out of luck?
I looked up my rejection email for you last year as a reference (this was the first paragraph, whats bolded you should look for in your email):

"We are writing to follow up on your application for admissions to the professional DVM program at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine. Your application was reviewed by our admissions committee; however, we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a spot for an interview this year. We understand the disappointment this letter brings but as you know this process is highly competitive and would encourage you to apply again in the spring of 2021."

This was at the end of the email I got last year in regards to the packet review:

"Experience:
Experience working with animals alongside veterinarians is invaluable prior to entering a DVM program. These experiences provide a significant understanding of the profession as well as promote significant learning and interest development in the various career possibilities in veterinary medicine. Strong applicants have experience in the field working in one or several areas of the profession and with one or several species; however, strong applicants can also have extensive experience in a focused area provided they show a realistic understanding of the profession. This experience can be obtained through a variety of opportunities, including volunteering, shadowing, and/or paid employment. Experience in research or public health related projects are also highly valued.

2. Review the following PowerPoint: Suggestions for a Future Application

3. Attend a Zoom webinar session on January 6, 2021 (12:00 P.M. - 1:00 P.M. or 7:30 P.M. - 8:30 P.M., EST) by our Pre-Vet Advisor to learn about recommendations to improve your application and applicant trends this past cycle.

4. If you are interested in feedback for your application, 15-minute appointments are available from January 19th through January 29th on a first-come, first-serve basis. File reviews will not take place any other time in the cycle. Opportunities to schedule appointments are available starting January 15th, by using the following LINK and selecting “File Review” as your appointment type. Feedback provided in these sessions is based on a brief review of your application and a review of any notes made by the admissions committee. These meetings provide best practices and tips and are not conclusive reasons for denial. Upon scheduling your appointment, you will be provided with instructions to complete a self-assessment review."

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 users
OOS interview invite!! First time applicant.

IS waitlist Interview. What are peoples thoughts on this? I honestly wasn’t expecting this answer and I am feeling pretty discouraged. Like most of you, I am horrible at waiting and this seems to be another holding pattern. Has anyone heard of someone getting waitlisted and then getting in?

IS waitlist Interview. What are peoples thoughts on this? I honestly wasn’t expecting this answer and I am feeling pretty discouraged. Like most of you, I am horrible at waiting and this seems to be another holding pattern. Has anyone heard of someone getting waitlisted and then getting in?
Getting off the waitlist for an interview is totally possible. It’s hard to say your odds of getting off of it when the school doesn’t rank people on the waitlist. I will say, in-state waitlists are a lot more competitive than out-of-state waitlists. Most people have good reason to interview at their in state where many OOS students have pretty equivalent options (ie financially) or may even have already been accepted elsewhere. Basically, it’s possible to come off the waitlist but less likely for in-state I’ve found.

I was IS waitlisted last year, I was not pulled from the waitlist. I was notified February 8th 2021 that I would not be continuing in the admissions process.

I was IS waitlisted last year, I was not pulled from the waitlist. I was notified February 8th 2021 that I would not be continuing in the admissions process.
Thank you for your honesty :) I saw you got an interview this year! Congratulations!! Also by your name it seems you are interested in Equine and I am as well. I hope they do something about retention of Equine vets post graduation. Always good to see someone with the intention of going equine.

Thank you for your honesty :) I saw you got an interview this year! Congratulations!! Also by your name it seems you are interested in Equine and I am as well. I hope they do something about retention of Equine vets post graduation. Always good to see someone with the intention of going equine.
Yes! Very glad about my interview this year! I was extremely discouraged last year after not being pulled of the waitlist but it just gave me more time to improve my application! I spent 6 months interning for an equine ambulatory service which was awesome! Hopefully (fingers crossed I get in) after vet school I’d like to specialize in something equine related. Don’t give up! I’ve been rejected from one school so far this cycle, but I just need one to take me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a call from UF today? I got a call from someone in Florida according to the caller ID but it seemed like a butt dial. The guy was talking to someone and said, "I'm actually giving the calls out right now".... then hung up hahaha. Any ideas? I got the email with the invite to interview last weekish.

Has anyone received a call from UF today? I got a call from someone in Florida according to the caller ID but it seemed like a butt dial. The guy was talking to someone and said, "I'm actually giving the calls out right now".... then hung up hahaha. Any ideas? I got the email with the invite to interview last weekish.
Probably spam as most university faculty are still on break.

Probably spam as most university faculty are still on break.
Actually faculty is there but students are on break. I had to email and speak with ASA today and they are there. Lots of spam calls from 352 though which if you get a call it'll be a 352 number.

Hello,
Happy new years! Does anybody know how UF-CVM will factor in the Casper test results?

- Mara

I’ve heard of people getting off, but last year I was waitlisted and I did not get pulled off.
My friend got pulled off the waitlist for acceptance in my year we had a few but mind you this was after covid hit hard in March/april. Usually close to the deadline or after to accept. Depends on the year but there are folks. Usually because UF is so late to interview. Have had folks get off the interview list because folks from OOS will decline interview. Basically look at prior statistics and see how many folks declined an interview, spots granted for acceptance from waitlist are usually from declined acceptance.

If we took the Casper and sent it already, do we have to resend them?
I emailed them about this-- they recommended to double check with Altus (casper company) to confirm that scores were sent to UF. So I just sent Casper a quick message to confirm and they said I was good to go!

Anyone know when interview dates/times will come out after accepting an interview?

Does anyone know if the Snapshot component of Casper is required for us to complete in addition to the Casper test?

Is everyone still waiting on their email with an interview date/time?

Is everyone still waiting on their email with an interview date/time?
Yes! I believe they said in their latest email (about CASPer) that we should hear from them by Jan. 14 👍🏼

Does anyone have the URL thread for interview questions with how they responded? And a list of current events?

UF Interview Prep Instagram Live at 2pm (assuming est)!!! Hey just wanted to let anyone know who may have not seen but UF is doing an interview prep Live on instagram at 2pm.

UF Interview Prep Instagram Live at 2pm (assuming est)!!! Hey just wanted to let anyone know who may have not seen but UF is doing an interview prep Live on instagram at 2pm.
Thank you so much for sharing! I'm going to have to check it out

Best interview prep I can give Is they are gonna know you are nervous. BE TRUTHFUL. You can take a breath and you can take a break to think. No one's gonna judge your answers are what matters. please wear normal clothes below the waist god forbid you gotta stand up.

Reactions: 3 users
That prep was really helpful. She mentioned that there were around 1800 applicants, less than 350 got interviews so far, and they're upping their class size so there will be about 150 seats.

Reactions: 2 users
That prep was really helpful. She mentioned that there were around 1800 applicants, less than 350 got interviews so far, and they're upping their class size so there will be about 150 seats.
Im so nervous about being asked what mistakes I have made. I haven’t done anything terrible or anything but Im just not sure what is considered “too little” or a “red flag”.
Im glad she touched on the “tell me about yourself” question and keeping it concise and current. I wasn’t sure how deep they wanted us to go.

I’m at work and was unable to watch the prep. anyone know if there’s any way to access a recording of it? Thanks!!

Im so nervous about being asked what mistakes I have made. I haven’t done anything terrible or anything but Im just not sure what is considered “too little” or a “red flag”.
Im glad she touched on the “tell me about yourself” question and keeping it concise and current. I wasn’t sure how deep they wanted us to go.
I struggled with the mistake question until she started talking about it today. It kinda just clicked. I was focusing on school/work but I found a good example from home which provided a good lesson.

I’m at work and was unable to watch the prep. anyone know if there’s any way to access a recording of it? Thanks!!
Yes! Alex said that it was recorded and should be posted on their IG later 👍🏼

I believe it's posted directly on their page now.

In terms of mistakes be honest. If you don't know something tell them and maybe if something is similar to that say but this happened. Biggest thing is owning your mistakes and showing you rectified them.

I Will say on the burnout they mentioned that’s something the first years asked me if it was normal to feel burnt. It’s common but burnout isn’t something to be normalized. We have one mental health counselor and she’s great and amazing but super busy but they are trying to find an extra one. If y’all get in we have the counseling and wellness center and gatorwell who are helpful. There are events but mostly it’s just food from purina or another company.

That being said I love our programs we have awesome exotic experience, equine and the amount of livestock and farm animal experience I’ve not seen outside the Midwest schools. That being said though please talk to folks about what you want in a school. Talk to students if you go on a tour, we will tell you the good and bad. Check out the class schedules and compare them to other schools that share theirs.

I’m glad I chose UF money and experience wise but I want you all to have a real picture of life as a student. Hopefully by august the students will feel safe enough and be able to go experience the town without worrying about Covid. It’s a fun place and there’s tons to do if you like bars, nature etc. nearest beach is an hour away but the rivers are nice.

Biggest advice if you get in is make the crazy schedule your own besides labs. Study for the test coming up and keep up on your notes or study materials so you don’t have to waste time making them. Anatomy is hard and the exception and if you get in start looking over dog anatomy over the summer if you haven’t taken a comparative anatomy course or dog one.
You will get a D in something as long as it’s not something huge credit wise you will live and still get a good graduation GPA.

In terms of exotics weirdness we have an area for tortoise grazing, just saw a bald eagle go through the halls today in a zoo med clinicians arms and we see crazy stuff from all around Florida.

Sorry for rambling 😅🥸 ( my iPad hates punctuation sorry)

Last edited:
I feel like my interview went well :) the interviewers were so nice. We have to wait until march for decisions tho :0

• Love