UHS Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey DRoshal,
WOW, I live 20 min away from Rutgers :) Anyway, I chose to live in CT and applied and sent deposit for a single room since I don't know anyone going to UHS except a few people I saw at orientation. Anyway, my e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks,
Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

Russell,
You, my friend, are not as old as you think. I will be 26 in August.

[email protected]

(I am a big fan of the soap opera, "General Hospital." Am I the only one out there who loves her soaps?)

David,
I am glad that you decided to join us at CT. I hope that you will enjoy living there. I think that it will be an adventure for all of us.

Darci

Darci,

I know, it's just that all of the talk from these 22 year olds was making me feel old.

Russell

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what orientations they are taking part in?

A

Originally posted by xXAnksXx
Does anyone know what orientations they are taking part in?

A

I thought everyone went to orientation during the week before class? Are there separate orientations during the summer?

Russell

Regarding orientations...

UHS has a "brush-up" course that it invites some students to attend before school starts. It has limited availability, so not everyone gets the invite. I don't know what criteria they use for choosing people...I know I could have benefitted from it!

I do know that at least one person REQUESTED to be in the course last year, so if you would like a little review before getting serious, you may want to call admissions to inquire about it.

When you get here on the 19th, you'll have one week of getting to know each other and the instructors. They'll have you do a community service project, get your IDs made, lots of food for various reasons, maybe attend a Royals game, White Coat ceremony, etc. It's a fun week and it's really where you start to make strong friendships.

Then on the 26th you'll get blown away with Foundations of Medicine! For me, it was like cramming four years of undergrad science into six weeks. Plus the transition of studying for med school versus undergrad probably made it more difficult that it actually was. Setting a pace for yourself is probably one of the more difficult things about starting med school. You cannot possibly know everything although they are going to give you everything to study. You'll all have to figure out what methods of studying work best for you, set a schedule you can live with, etc.

My advice: enjoy yourselves this summer, visit all your friends and family and drink a beer! Although there is some time for it once you get here, it is definitely limited!

Can't wait to meet you all this August!

- Tammy

Ok, well I was waiting to fill this out until I received my grade for my last final exam. Good news! I will be joining you all in the fall at UHS. My name is Joe and I am a graduate of the University of South Florida with a degree in Athletic Training and Sports Medicine. I work in a local Hospital as a Surgical Technologist and First Assistant. I love my job! I am not sure where I plan to stay when I get to KC, but at this point I will stay anywhere. Thank you to all of you that have posted housing information I plan to use it. I have been waiting for this for a really long time and look forward attending classes with you all.

Oh, by the way, I am 26 years old. So Wannabe and Darci, you are not alone. Congrats to all of you. See you soon!

Thanks for the book information, it will be quite helpful:) One more question. The student budget the admissions folk gave us at interview approximates book costs for the first around $1600. I would imagine this is an overestimate, if so, how much of an overestimate? I apologize for all of the money questions, but those seem to be the questions that come to mind. Thanks, Audrey

Tammy, I was wondering how you know we start on the 19th??? I thought orientation started on the 11th for some reason... Could you let me know? Also if you know what day the white coating ceremony is, I'd also really like to know for my parents and grandparents to plan airfare.

What I didn't mention before about where I hopefully with live at, Whispering Lakes, is that if at any time you want to move in with a roommate, you can for a 150 moving charge, as long as you stay in the same appartment complex. I had a really bad experiance up at Michigan State with roommate/suitemate horror stories!! Seriously if you heard them, you'd think I was making them up they're that bad. In any case... My blabbering on and on, my point is.. if someone is living there, or wants to live there half way through the year... it is an option.. I just want to get to know some of you guys first :)

I just got my final grades... and I have to finish up my one class before I can just relax. I have a netters, and a lab book from the Anatomy lab I am teaching... Do you guys think that will be enough? I am also pondering which books to pack with me.. any good advice would be helpful. Thanks
:cool:
:cool:

Sorry...shouldn't have given dates. I was just going based on what I had read earlier in the thread. We started on the 19th of August, so you'll probably have a slightly different start date. If I remember correctly, the white coat ceremony is on the Thursday of the week when you start.

As far as books go, I guess I use fewer books than most. The high yield books are good for an overview of systems, but don't have enough detail to get you through an exam. (Great pre-reading though...) However, the test material is basically taken straight out of the notes the instructors give you. I think the only books I have really used are the anatomy books (Color Atlas of Anatomy is my fav...has cadaver pics) although you will also need Moore Dalley's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. One of the instructors tests over the "blue boxes" in the sections.

I have several of the books, but very, very rarely use them.

So, as far as books go, you'll probably have to make up your own minds. If you are a book learner, by all means get the books! I tend to rely on the notes given in class and look things up occasionally when I need a little further explanation, but this could have been accomplished in the library for as little as I actually use most of the books.

As far as what to bring, I would bring whatever science books you have. It is good to have some reference materials at your fingertips when you want it.

Hope this helps!
Tammy

p.s. I would highly recommend joining "note pool." We rotate taking notes in class and distribute them among the group. This is great if you ever miss a class, want to make sure you don't miss something in your own notetaking, etc. It's optional, of course! You'll get more info about it when you start school.

Orientation is 8/11 - 8/15. Classes start 8/18. This was on my acceptance letter. Thought I'd post this so that nobody has an aneurism thinking the dates changed.

-dave

Hey Ankur,
I just found out how the PM works. I saw that you sent a message a few days ago. Did you get a summer reading list for the fall semester from UHS?
Anthony

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone.

I am moving August 7th, and should arrive in KC on the 8th. If anyone wants to hook up or talk pre-orientation, let me know.

What is everyone doing this summer?

I am running a cadeavor lab at my University that I just graduated from. So no time off from anatomy for me.

Just thought I'd check in. I'm glad I found these boards to post on just to chat.

I haven't received a summer reading list yet... But I'm sure it'll come. This should be a very interesting summer!

E

Hey guys,
Some of us were talking today about what advice we would give incoming 1st years. Here are some of the things we came up with. First of all, buy Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease(the big one) A lot of people will tell you that you don't need it and it is too dense and that they bought it but never used it; poppy-cock! It has been by far the most useful book I bought. I admit that I am into path, but it is also great for immuno. and some of the micro. is good as well. Secondly, come to love Netter's Atlas of Anatomy. They will give you other options but in my opinion there is no substitute. Thirdly, buy a board review book before you start classes. It will help give you a big picture overview and allows you to focus on key concepts(not that you aren't expected to know details for exams). Fourth, you don't need all the equipment they say you do. I got by with just a stethoscope all year. Fifth, yes Erf is a genius even if he rubs you the wrong way. You will come to appreciate just how much he can teach you. Sixth, buy a good histology atlas and use it, especially if you haven't had histology in undergrad. You can't learn path if you don't know histo. Seventh, do quizbank until it hurts. They are guranteed points. (If you don't know what I mean by quizbank you will soon, just trust me). Eighth, even though it is hard to do, try to do a little everyday and don't let it pile up until the weekend. That is all I can come up with right now, but if I think of additional pearls I'll pass them along. :) I look forward to meeting all of you in August.

BamaAlum thanks for all the great advice. I will certainly take it, and as you said, any other pearls you come across. In other news . . .

I am looking for a roomate to share a house with me. Possibly Two roomates. I will be purchasing a house this month very close to UHS. The house that I am currently trying to buy is only 8 minutes from the school. It is a nice house in a good quiet neiborhood. I'm not sure exactly on the rent but it should be between 350-400 month. If I get this house, I will post pictures soon!!! I'm very excited about it.

As far as me, I'm a single guy 26 years old. I'm a good roomate, very clean, easy to get along with, and I enjoy working out, gardening, cooking and computers. I really feel this will be a great deal for anyone who is unsure about where they want to live. I plan to setup the house to be very user freindly with regard to studying, wi-fi internet connection throught (wireless highspeed), and new paint and carpeting. For more details feel free to PM me, or give me a call. I would love to talk to anybody (male/female/MS1/MS2/ETC) that is interested. As a crunch my budget, I do believe this will be slightly cheaper than any apartment I have seen with much more space and privacy.

636-527-0604 hm
314-477-6454 cell

Look forward to hearing from you, John

I just wanted to thank all of the "upper-classmen" who have given the class of 2007 advice. I certainly do appreciate it. Especially since I am beginning to feel overwhelmed and nervous. May is halfway over, and I will be moving in the middle of July.

Welcome Joe.

i couldn't resist . . . BUMP!

:pHey Guys!

How is summer going? btw I found a really cool roomate. We will be in a 2 bedroom on the 9th floor of CENTURY TOWERS I hope everyone is relaxing b4 school starts. For some reason, I just don't seem to mind that I will be attending 4 more years of college! I think its because of the focus and direct effect my education will have on my future. Thank God no more Theology (hehe) and philosphy classes!:clap: Anyone doing anything interesting over the summer?

I'll be moving in around Aug 1st. Email me if you want to hang out, play tennis... etc. [email protected]

Take Care,

A:p

Congratulations UHS Class of 2007. Welcome to a wonderful school. For those of you still looking to buy a home near UHS(or anywhere in KC) for the up coming school year, I would like to recommend my real estate agents Bill and Joan Long. You may reach them by

email: [email protected]
phone: 913-381-4300

They were extremely helpful to me in finding a home. They would love to help out the Class of 2007, too. I am looking forward to meeting you all real soon. Have a fun and safe summer!

mfb
class of 2006

Guess I will throw in some information too if it will help you...I have a friend who is a mortgage lender. He's got rates right now from 2.5 - 5.75% (or something like that).

His name is Doug Crouse and you can reach him at [email protected] or 816-505-3200.

Good luck! :)

Tammy

Ankur,
I am moving to CT around July 23. I will be on the look out for tennis courts.:) See you then.

Hey everyone,

Just curious about what all the future first year students are doing this summer and to move it up on the SDN so this post isn't on the second page.

I got that Medical Terminology book and it might be useful for people who aren't really comfortable with medical words. It just breaks down the meaning of words into prefix, word root, and suffix. It's around 350 pages of chapters divided into systems with pictures of parts, so if you took anatomy or have a long term experience with the medical field and its 53.00 total at the FAdavis website.
Thanks,
Anthony

Mostly I am gonna relax, take a look at that terminology book. Is anyone from the UHS class of 2007 from the east coast, anybody from NY? I feel like im the only one from NY, not that it bothers me. I hope everyone is having a great summer:clap:

Hi all,

I have a little update on my housing situation. I had previously spoken about buying a house in KC and renting out to classmates for the first year. Well I'm still buying, but it turns out it may take a bit longer than I had thought to sell my house out here. If I can't sell it in time to buy something in KC before school starts, I'll get a short term lease (three months probably) in an apartment. If there is anyone interested in rooming with me I'm all ears. I understand that most will not want the uncertainty or stress of having to move mid-term, but I will have some family out to help. I'll live by myself if need be, but I'd sure love to have a roommate or two to help with the mortgage. If I do end up by myself, we can convert part of the house into an off-campus study area.

PM me if anyone is still interested.

Russell

Hey Russell,

Sounds pretty cool. I would have been in on that, but I just recently sent my info into CT ill be living in 906 with Jason if you want to come visit. The study area sounds cool, we could get a dry erase board and a stocked bar, and have late night parties, ahem, I mean study sessions! ;) Good luck finding a roomie, Ill let people know you are lookin. Take care,

Ankur

PS tennis people, I'm still game.

DRoshal, what part of NY are you from. I live 40 miles west of Manhattan in NJ on the shore off the Garden State Parkway, I guess that's close to you?

Ankur, I'll play you in tennis in August if there is a court and if no one has replied to your e-mail, I was looking to get back to playing again, did you play in high school or college?

WO1verineDo

I am from Staten Island NY. Since your from NJ you prob heard of Rutgers, that's where i recently graduated from. I also like playing tennis I played in high school for a year and then on and off. Have a great summer;)

I just wanted to let you all know that I have deferred to start UHS until August 2004 instead of this August due to my pregnancy. I have talked with a few of you and enjoyed reading all the posts. I must say I am a bit jealous that you guys are starting without me, but my husband and I are thrilled to meet my baby boy August 25th of this year! I would have started school for a few days and then went into labor. Wasn't a good option for me, so UHS was gracious enough to let me defer for one year. This way I will get to stay home with my baby for a whole year before starting school. Best of luck to all of you! I'm sure I will be looking for advise when you guys are entering your second year and I'm a first year. I'll be checking out all the posts too! - Heather

Originally posted by MCWIHEA
I just wanted to let you all know that I have deferred to start UHS until August 2004 instead of this August due to my pregnancy. I have talked with a few of you and enjoyed reading all the posts. I must say I am a bit jealous that you guys are starting without me, but my husband and I are thrilled to meet my baby boy August 25th of this year! I would have started school for a few days and then went into labor. Wasn't a good option for me, so UHS was gracious enough to let me defer for one year. This way I will get to stay home with my baby for a whole year before starting school. Best of luck to all of you! I'm sure I will be looking for advise when you guys are entering your second year and I'm a first year. I'll be checking out all the posts too! - Heather

Heather,

Congratulations on your future family. My wife and I made the decision that I would hold off on my applications when she was pregnant with our little girl (now 18 mos). It was the best decision we could have made. While I am frightened about not being with them for a year, I'm glad I had the time early in her life to form much needed bonds. I'm sure you have made the correct decision, and we'll see you in 2004 :)

Russell

Congratulations Heather on the upcoming baby :) It's always nice to hear great news.

DRoshal@UHS, yeah, I live 20 min from Rutgers. We should play tennis sometime as well. It'll give everyone something to do before classes start. Where are you living in KCMO?

Wo1verine7Do,

hey, i'll be rooming with Austin Bancroft on the fifth floor of CT, what about you?

I don't know yet, I have to call CT, they said to call them when I got my financial aid, but I did get approved for an apartment? Should I call them to choose a room yet?

Wo1verine7Do

Yeah, you should call them and request an application. On this application you can select which type of appartment you want, metro, centro, lusso. But you must send that application in with 175 bucs to get a room reserved, otherwise they'll all fill up.
Goodluck

Oh, I already reserved that part and sent in payment 3 months ago, I was just wondering how you got a room already? They said I can choose a room once my financial aid package is done by UHS. I'll be in a Single room somewhere in CT next year, so your on the 5th floor? I haven't chosen a room, but maybe the 4th, 5th floor since its close to those study lounges. PM me if you want to play tennis sometime in July before we all make the move to UHS...:cool:

Hey folks...just wanted to introduce myself as a fellow member of the class of 2007! My name is Eric. I'm a taurus and I enjoy long walks on the beach, summer sunsets, good conversation, and fun people. I'm looking for that special someone that.....oops, wrong message board!:laugh:

No seriously, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and getting started. Hope everyone has a great summer...I bet it will be over before you know it!

Oh yeah one other thing, I'll be living in CT also.

Sup Eric

Welcome to the class of 2007! I look forward to meeting you in the fall.

If you are in need of any furnishings for your next couple of years in KC check out www.uhs2005.com/forsale.htm

if your interested hit me back at [email protected] need to get rid of as much as i can before i move.

Congratulations
Jarrod
MSII->III

Hey I just got my CT room on the tenth floor on the east side? Does anyone know how many floors there are in that building and what floors all that cool stuff they showed us during orientation like the lounge and exercise room? I think I might be at the top floor? I'll be moving in August 1st.
Thanks,
Anthony

Hey Anthony,

I'm pretty sure there are 10 floors at CT. The first 3 are misc. government offices. The 4th floor is industrial stuff and the 5th floor has the gym and other neat stuff on it. I'll be on the 10th floor myself...so hope that helps!

Eric

Is anybody planning on living at the Ethans? Just thought I would get to know some of my neighbors if I will have any! See all of you guys in August!!

Vanessa

PS Only 33 Days to go before I become a Married woman!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I was also wondering if anybody here interviewed with me on the 23rd of September?

Hi guys... Hope everyone is having a good summer.

I met with my "BIG SISTER" on tuesday. It was great talking to her, and I feel a lot better about moving without knowing a single soul. She answered almost every question I had for her, and she also told me that there were almost 10 people from Michigan in her entering class. I just wondered if any of you guys have also had the pleasure of meeting your "big?" And if anyone is actually from Michigan or close by and wants to come to the cadeavor lab, you are more than welcome :) I know we'll be spending a million hours in there, so that may not sound too appealing.

Personally, i'm finishing the stupidest class known to man kind..... Botony. And for the rest of the summer I am teaching a Gross Anatomy Lab. So yay for exciting summer activities. ;)
I guess that it isn't too bad, since the weather here is just rainy and aweful.

I will be down there the 8th of August, and I know that my apartment complex has at least 2 tennis courts. I'm hoping that the weather down there will be much better than the weather up here, especially to go outside for any reason.

I'm more excited now about moving and meeting all of you guys, thanks to my big sis.... ( who is actually about 6 inches shorter than me... lol) amazing how one person can make such a big difference in your outlook... ( mine being nervous about not knowing anyone, nor being able to take any of my pets with me).

I have also been reading about OMT lab, the thread that is on this SBD board. .... Now that is pretty funny and interesting for anyone interested in reading up on it. Who knows, maybe some of us will be lab mates. I am currently not sure how my name will be alphabetized since I'm a screwy hyphonated last name
*thanks to my mom, not because i'm married* so either I'm a C or an R. (Big sis informed me we are placed in to 4 lab groups by last name.)

Anyways... Hope all is well... Sorry for the long ramble...

Elisabeth

Almost forgot... You can IM me at irisbeeker... on AIM... if anyone wants to chat :)

Elisabeth...
Who is your Big Sis if you don't mind me asking?? I was just curious to know which one of my classmates is your big sis.

Chris

Ms. Gross is my big sis.
Well little big sis....

Thanks for asking Chris.

Does anyone know when the new Life Science Research building is scheduled to be ready?

April 1, 2037......:) It was supposed to be finished this fall, then they said by next January. Who knows? I doubt my class will ever see it, unless we look at it at graduation.

:clap: Hows summer?:clap:

AIM IM is xXAnksXx

I relly looking forward to medical school! I'll be living at CT... Earlier I said I was going to be at 908, im really living at 812.

I'm moving in August 1, so tennis people and people who like to blade keep in touch!... [email protected]

Alright have a great summer see you guys in like a month and a half.:cool:

Later,

Ankur