This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cnr0080

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a second year student at Texas university and decided I want to do dentistry. My pre-dental advisors all recommend that i major in some biological science if I wanna increase my chances of getting into Texas A&M (Baylor) college of dentistry. But I honestly am thinking of doing biomedical engineering for my undergrad because that would interest me more. I thought dental schools don't require you to be in any specific major. Should I follow their recommendations or major in my interest?
 
One of my sons is a BME major at VCU--their BME program has a 94% acceptance rate for med/dental school. Obviously you need to still have a strong GPA, but if you are close in comparison to a "regular" Biology major--BME majors will usually get the nod since it is a harder major.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I am a BME major and got into dental school. I would say my BME background gave me an edge over science majors because it gave me interesting perspectives to mention in my interviews.

Maintain a strong GPA, get some BME research under your belt, and pursue ECs such as clubs and organizations. You should be fine assuming DAT is not a problem.