Undergraduate Major, Biomedical ENG vs. Biology for pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cnr0080

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a second year student at Texas university and decided I want to do dentistry. My pre-dental advisors all recommend that i major in some biological science if I wanna increase my chances of getting into Texas A&M (Baylor) college of dentistry. But I honestly am thinking of doing biomedical engineering for my undergrad because that would interest me more. I thought dental schools don't require you to be in any specific major. Should I follow their recommendations or major in my interest?

Members don't see this ad.

Major in what you're interested in and what would net you the best GPA as well as allowing you to do a good amount of EC's simultaneously during the school year, a lot of what premed advisors say should really be taken with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 2 users
One of my sons is a BME major at VCU--their BME program has a 94% acceptance rate for med/dental school. Obviously you need to still have a strong GPA, but if you are close in comparison to a "regular" Biology major--BME majors will usually get the nod since it is a harder major.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am a BME major and got into dental school. I would say my BME background gave me an edge over science majors because it gave me interesting perspectives to mention in my interviews.

Maintain a strong GPA, get some BME research under your belt, and pursue ECs such as clubs and organizations. You should be fine assuming DAT is not a problem.

You can major in whatever you want provided you finish the pre-reqs needed for each school.