This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayOrGo90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I never thought I would post here, but I need to throw this out into the ethos and see what comes back.

I am supposed to go to UNE this year (next week!) but yesterday Quinnipiac called me and offered me an accept-defer. Basically I would accept this year, but defer until this year. Not deferring is not an option. I have NO idea what to do.

Is a DO from an established school (UNE) more valuable than an MD from a newer school (Quinnipiac); so much so that I put this all of for another year?

About me: 3 years out of college, interested in pediatrics (but leaving myself very open to other fields), UNE is 3 hours from family, Quinnipiac is 1 hour; I have already left my job and moved out of the major city where I was living (I could get my job back, but I don't really want to)

Members don't see this ad.

It's interesting that Quinnipiac would offer you an acceptance but force you to deffer especially at the end of the cycle. I wonder what they're up to. I have never heard of a school doing that and would be interested to hear from any of the more knowledgeable adcoms on this site why a school would go with that option. @gyngyn @LizzyM @Goro maybe you have some input?

Quinnipiac. I nearly applied there but they were very clear that it was their first class and because the school got held up a year, there were not many spots available, so I'd likely have to defer (and I was HIGHLY competitive). Looking back... I don't regret going to UNE because I'm older and have different priorities, plus UNE has their collective stuff together more than most new schools likely would (that's not to say they're perfect, but they at least have a good clinical site staff etc that really can help out once third and fourth year hit). But if I were younger, I would definitely recommend Netter, as they will open the door to certain places you just won't get into coming out of UNE (Yale, a lot of places in Boston, a lot of the better places in NYC). You think things like that don't matter, but when it comes time to apply for residency, having a stronger chance to match and better options can be quite important, to say nothing of specialty choices that are available to Netter choices but not reasonably achievable for a DO.

Reactions: 1 user
It's interesting that Quinnipiac would offer you an acceptance but force you to deffer especially at the end of the cycle. I wonder what they're up to. I have never heard of a school doing that and would be interested to hear from any of the more knowledgeable adcoms on this site why a school would go with that option. @gyngyn @LizzyM @Goro maybe you have some input?
I think this is a holdover habit from when they opened. Netter was supposed to have their first class in 2013, but they didn't get full accreditation on time so offered deferrals to all of their accepted students for the following year. This led to much of their class for the next year being already full, so a lot of people applying in 2014 were looking at deferrals if they wanted to attend. This could have just carried over for a few slots from year to year, or maybe their administration realized it was working out for them by lowering the number of apps they had to review each year and allowing them to snag otherwise highly qualified applicants that struck out this cycle but are unlikely to go to all the trouble of a second cycle when they've got an acceptance already in hand for the following year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It makes for less work next year.

The carry over deferrals is a very interesting point. They told me they really liked me as an applicant but because they interviewed me so late they didn't have seats left. @gyngyn @Sand&Stars

@Mad Jack , do you mind me asking how old you were when you started? I'll be 27 in November.

Thanks everyone for your input!! This is actually very helpful.

This is so interesting! I guess I was always under the impression that schools didn't want to move people to the following years class unless they had to.

also to add my two cents, I'd wait and take the MD :) Good luck

Wait the year and take Netter's offer. Despite being new, Netter does some amazing things and their students match well for residency. Plus, their facilities are brand new and you have the opportunity to collaborate with Yale on research if you wish (they're 15 min down the road). The students, faculty, and the Dean are all very friendly and inviting and you feel welcomed (it was one of my best interviews). For a long time, I was set on going there for these reasons and because their class size is small (90-91); ultimately, I chose Hofstra for several personal reasons. Good luck with your decision!