UNECOM Administration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyname17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that UNECOM just had an administration shakeup. Those of you attending, has that changed things for the better? What changes have you noticed?

Members don't see this ad.

Administration "shake-up"s at UNE have been ongoing since I've been there. We've had more than 4 COM Deans since I started. Some have been better than others. Some of the ones students would have followed to the ends of the earth were treated so badly by university administration they left. The new Dean apparently has a short-term lease on an apartment and his family hasn't moved to Maine yet. Jury's still out on him, but he was the students' and most faculty's first choice. We're cautiously hopeful he can bring good things.

There are a few other new faces apparently, but I haven't been notified of them (like the new Dean of Academic Affairs for the COM who apparently starts in June). The administration still seems to be stellar at lack of communication, and total miscommunication. I will however temper that with the statement I'm not on campus much anymore. In fact, other than my tuition bill and sending paperwork for completed rotations, I have almost no communication with the COM despite their past assurances to "keep third and fourth year students in the loop." Perhaps there is no communication to be had. I don't know.

As a fourth year I've noticed nothing other than the usual president adversity against the medical school. Pity, because the COM has promise, but a lot of university administrative political problems stand in their way.

Thanks ShyRem, its really disheartening to hear that. I live in the New England area and would love to go to UNECOM, not at the expense of my education though.

Its sounds as though they make it an uncomfortable environment for the students

Members don't see this ad :)
Not uncomfortable, but don't expect much from the President's office. Your clinical affairs personnel are FABULOUS. RSAS can be hit or miss, but I tend to hold people to their word, and that can create some issues.

Remember what you're in school for. To be a doctor. To learn medicine. UNE does that fairly well. Every school has their weak points. Dartmouth has an abysmal anatomy program. UNE's biochem and molecular path leaves a lot to be desired. Cellular path, gross path are excellent. Anatomy is excellent, and you won't find a better neuro course.

Clinicals are hit or miss depending. As with every place. I had outstanding clinical rotations; students rotating the week after I did had a different experience. I did away rotations where I more than held my own. And board pass rates for my class for level 1, first time takers, no board review course provided and EVERYONE takes the boards, was something like 94 or 96%.

You asked about admiistration in your original post. You didn't ask about education. If you can keep your head down, your nose to the grindstone, and just worry about learning, you'll be happy and fine.

Remember what you're in school for. To be a doctor. To learn medicine. UNE does that fairly well. Every school has their weak points. Anatomy is excellent, and you won't find a better neuro course.

Clinicals are hit or miss depending. As with every place. I had outstanding clinical rotations; students rotating the week after I did had a different experience.

If you can keep your head down, your nose to the grindstone, and just worry about learning, you'll be happy and fine.

:thumbup:

Agreed. I too felt like I was able to hold my own and was well prepared for residency.

Wook