UNECOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but I just want to say that only one person that I know of in my class got in in August. The majority of the folks in my class who got off the waitlist got off in May, June, and first part of July, with June and early July having the biggest number of folks coming of the waitlist in my class.

The thing about waitlists: waitlist movement for MD schools begins May 20 or so. As folks are required to pare down their acceptances to one and one only (on May 15 for MD schools), spots open up. As folks give up their DO spots for the MD spots, DO waitlist movement occurs.

OOPS i ment to write after april, not in august lol
thanks for clearing that up!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so this is what I get for calling to get my decision, I just confuse myself! After calling my boyfriend who is getting all of my mail in California and having him re-read the letter, apparently I'm "Alternate" not "ASA". When I spoke to James Gaffney, I didn't realize that there is more than one waitlist, and simply assumed I was ASA - I wish they had made this distinction more clear on interview day. Now I know why my letter is so different from all of yours :rolleyes:

Oh well. Looks like my future in Cali is becoming more certain by the day...

Ok, now I'm even more confused. I thought that "ASA" just stood for "Alternate...something something". What does ASA stand for and is this different from the "Alternate" list? Will the letter say "ASA" or does "Alternate list" mean ASA? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, now I'm even more confused. I thought that "ASA" just stood for "Alternate...something something". What does ASA stand for and is this different from the "Alternate" list? Will the letter say "ASA" or does "Alternate list" mean ASA? Thanks!

ASA is "Accept Space Available". I did a search, and from past years at least, it seems to be that alternate is actually something different - how in practice it differs, I'm not exactly sure. I'm assuming that people that are ASA have first priority for open spots, and then alternate is more like a real waitlist.

I don't know if they're offering, but they're definitely still interviewing. If you haven't received a rejection letter, you can assume you're still a possibility for an interview invite.

Hello everyone!

I just discovered this blog yesterday and there's a lot of useful information on here! It's great! I interviewed on Jan. 31st and didn't get my acceptance letter until a month and a half later! Apparently they send the letters via certified mail so it has been sitting at the post office. With that said, if you haven't heard from unecom, make sure you call and ask (as everyone has suggested) and check the post office! I just sent in my deposit last week! UNECOM 2012! whoo hoo! Good luck to everyone! Hope to meet you guys in the near future!

I just called and talked with the woman at UNECOM. She said my file was complete but they just had their last interview day and the committee to offer interviews is not meeting again. So, if you haven't gotten an interview invite, then I guess you won't be going to UNECOM.

Sorry to anyone who hadn't heard, like me.

I just called and talked with the woman at UNECOM. She said my file was complete but they just had their last interview day and the committee to offer interviews is not meeting again. So, if you haven't gotten an interview invite, then I guess you won't be going to UNECOM.

Sorry to anyone who hadn't heard, like me.

Hey! Don't give up. It might have been that you were too darn late. I know the deadline says March 1st, but I swear they really mean December 1st. I interviewed at the end of Feb and have a feeling (I hope) that my rejection was due mostly because of interviewing so late. I'm going to re-apply this May, the earliest possible, and hopefully swoop in! :luck:

Does anyone here have any experience with international clinical rotations? I know UNECOM offers these possibly 3rd or 4th year - has anyone done these and/or know someone who has?

If you are an incoming UNECOM student looking for housing, read on:

We are offering our 2-story New Englander home for sale, just off of Pool Street and ~5 minutes from UNECOM. 4BR (or 3BR with a study), 2BA, garage and off-street parking. It is perfect for a family, or anyone who wants to get a place and rent out some rooms to fellow med students, as well.

For pictures or more information, feel free to email me at:
northernstream at gmail dot com.

Thanks, and good luck in classes this Fall! :)

BUMP.

I'm not about to let some pitch for real estate linger any longer as the latest post on this thread.
UNECOM rocks. Discuss....

Members don't see this ad :)
Weeeeellllllll, it all started back in....:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Dang, forgot what I was about say. My old age is catching up with me; I better go take a nap.

Wook

Excellent play! Anyone else?

Well, at the sake of re-hashing the same stuff...as we must until some momentous event takes place...Lisa L. said that the adcom is meeting early next week. She hoped to have more info regarding waitlist ranking emailed to us. She also hoped to have add'l info regarding the ASA students taking a seat for the following (2009) fall (i.e. whether or not the interim dean will approve that again). So, there you have it.

Wait, wait, wait.

The waiting game is one you get really REALLY good at right about now. And it truly sucks nasty wet moldy monkey patties. Good thing is, Dean Cawley (who is a really awesome person) can always call the future Dean and ask what he'd like to do so there isn't any friction during the transition.

Chocolate, long walks, and copious quantities of your beverage of choice (alcoholic prn, but within moderation) will help. As will crying, screaming at the unfairness of it all, groveling on the phone, long road trips to grovel in person, etc.

We feel for you. Really we do.

Well, you both share a literary talent for turning a phrase. He is, literally, laugh-out-loud funny. If he had gone to UNECOM, that would have been even better.

Has anyone received any update on when, specifically, the info. regarding the ASA list (ranking, automatic admission for ASA listers in subsequent year, etc) will be sent out? just wondering . . .
thanks all

So I am a second year student and can reassure you that though the school "appears" nice and the students are certainly approachable; the way this school is run and how they take care of the UNECOM students is a crime.

Student physician voices carry almost no weight. Certain faculty are warm and helpful to students, yet most are not. Believe me, most faculty and administration are burned out and are here for a job, not to teach and encourage student development. Faculty and admin have been treated so badly here that their attitude festers in the student. Our class was super strong in the first year, and through a slow but consistent hammering, we have lost that flare and the faculty (most not all) don't care enough to do something.

Most of student concerns are put off until we finish our second year and they no longer have to deal with us on campus.

UNECOM should be ashamed and a major change has to occur before alumni are considered proud of their education.

Please, if you are considering UNECOM, please email me with questions. UNECOM doesn't want you to know certain things and I am more than willing to be up front and honest so you don't make the same mistake I did, as well as many of my classmates.

[email protected]

So I am a second year student and can reassure you that though the school "appears" nice and the students are certainly approachable; the way this school is run and how they take care of the UNECOM students is a crime.

Student physician voices carry almost no weight. Certain faculty are warm and helpful to students, yet most are not. Believe me, most faculty and administration are burned out and are here for a job, not to teach and encourage student development. Faculty and admin have been treated so badly here that their attitude festers in the student. Our class was super strong in the first year, and through a slow but consistent hammering, we have lost that flare and the faculty (most not all) don't care enough to do something.

Most of student concerns are put off until we finish our second year and they no longer have to deal with us on campus.

UNECOM should be ashamed and a major change has to occur before alumni are considered proud of their education.

Please, if you are considering UNECOM, please email me with questions. UNECOM doesn't want you to know certain things and I am more than willing to be up front and honest so you don't make the same mistake I did, as well as many of my classmates.

[email protected]

Menardst, would you care to be more specific as to why you are so dissatisfied?

....any current/former UNECOM students wish to counterpoint?

menardst is a bit unhappy right now, and rightfully so. We have been lobbying for an exam review policy. Currently you don't get your exams back to see what concepts you missed - you just get a grade. Granted, it's a percentage grade, but still: you don't know what concepts you missed. So the students have been trying for a compromise: we asked for a room to be set up immediately after the exam with the exam questions and answers posted. You would walk in, get a photocopy of your answer sheet and then get to actually see what your personal learning difficulties were. Did you miss all the quesitons on embryonic pharyngeal pouches? all the IBS questions? Or did you think the question was asking something TOTALLY different than the answer? We asked for this policy as a learning tool. It was originally granted by the Academic Affairs committee and we were told it was to be implemented.

The very first day, two hours before the first exam the policy affected, we were told "nope, not gonna do it" by the Dean. Turns out the Interim Dean has a close association with a professor here (and the prof is really REALLY AWESOME!!!!). This professor had an exam stolen a few years ago by a UNECOM class... when he found out he asked everyone to take the exam over again and they refused (and administration refused to do anything to the class - personally I think they should have at least had a notation on their Dean's letter that a widespread cheating episode occurred and no one would own up to it). It led to some really hard feelings on both sides, and the prof has a bad taste in his mouth about having his exams reviewed because he believes it could lead to another bout of cheating. So the Interim Dean has taken the side of her associate and reneged on the exam review policy.

This has led to some REALLY hard feelings on the side of the students. We're not the class that cheated. We don't want to cheat - we just want to figure out what the heck we don't know so we can be better physicians. The administration's outlook seems to us to be "wait till they're on rotations and then we won't have to deal with them anymore".

Some faculty are pompous (as there are such at every medical school) and extremely arrogant. Most I've found to be very helpful and will go above and beyond for you. And some faculty that you absolutely can't stand to have as a professor will be your champion if you run into problems with the administration.

The lack of communication here has been a very well known issue. The interim dean really is trying hard to address that, but mainly with the first years (who are whining about their block exam schedule which is SO much better than it was last year - I actually heard a few first year students whining about how hard their exams were - I can't wait till they're studying for boards if they think their exams now are hard). Anyway, the interim dean knows it's an issue. The permanent dean will be on campus for next year: we'll have to see how that works out. He's so far been a star in the area of avoiding answers to direct questions, and must have gotten honors in "tap dancing around questions you really don't want to answer."

As for our class, I've seen this fractioning with previous classes. As lottery approaches, students seem to say "to heck with everyone else, it's all about ME". Students are burnt out, tired of studying, tired of not knowing what 3rd/4th year brings, etc. You really get to see a picture of who in your class is immature, who handles the stress, who doesn't. And unfortunately, some of these immature folks get mean and hurtful in their comments. You'll have some of those no matter where you go to school or work in the future.

Overall I'm happy here. Many courses are fabulous. Some need work. You know that saying "progress is made one funeral at a time"? Nowhere is that saying more applicable than in medical school. Dinosaurs abound everywhere. You'll be happier if you don't have to deal with the administration and can roll with the punches that life throws at you.

I just have to say that every school has issues. I am not saying I having had my own shares of frustrations this year. It was definitely difficult and often annoying to be a curriculum guinea pig, but somebody has to, I guess. And, I'm fairly certain that they'll be changing alot next year, too, so be prepared. But, I absolutely cannot believe that nowhere else has their own version of this. Maybe it will be an amazing change, and you'll be glad you are 2012, and not some other year.

As far as how much the student input is really listened to, who really knows. Sometimes it's very obvious it's not, and sometimes it seems that it is.

Some profs can be grumpy and difficult, but some are very happy and excellent. It's just really painful when it's time for the bad prof. But for every prof that makes me cringe I can think of one who I have the outmost respect for.

And, I didn't know those details regarding the exam return policy. I can definitely see the frustration from that.

Well spoken, ShyRem! Thanks for elaborating in a mature, enlightening manner.

Thanks ShyRem and rgerwin, excellent pieces of perspective as always :)

I just wanted to thank ShyRem for taking the time to post such a thorough explanation. While I will not make an attempt to speak for most or "many" students, I can say that I am personally very satisfied with my decision to come to UNECOM.

I think we should try to remember that every medical school has policies that certain students may not agree with. Furthermore, most medical schools will not immediately reverse such policies the moment students decide they don't like the way something is done.

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that disgruntled students tend to be the ones that rant on forums like this, not the ones that are currently content. UNECOM is an excellent, up-and-coming medical school.

mdominello
2nd year medical student

Mdominello, I would respectfully disagree. I think most students here would give you an honest opinion. There are more champions of schools than ranters. You should look around. Ranters are really pretty far and few between. While some rants are definitely just that - rants, many have reasonable basis and deserve explanation. If you never heard from the folks that weren't happy with things, you wouldn't get a complete picture. And I think a decision like where to spend a quarter of a million dollars deserves as complete a picture as possible, and from all sides.

hi, i know most people are asking questions about the asa list, but does anyone know anything about the regular waitlist?? (frequency of admission; whether it's tiered like asa; any advice??; etc.) thanks :)

I wish I had an answer for you, mainedoc. My best answer would be call the admissions office and ask. I just don't know much about the waitlist. :( Sorry.

I'm wondering if anyone who's a student at UNECOM can tell me about the lottery for third and fourth years. What does it mean? When is it held? And since I assume whatever you get in the lottery is where you'll do you your rotations, does it mean ALL rotations (minus sub-I obviously)? Or do you have to set up your own for a number of them?

I'm wondering if anyone who's a student at UNECOM can tell me about the lottery for third and fourth years. What does it mean? When is it held? And since I assume whatever you get in the lottery is where you'll do you your rotations, does it mean ALL rotations (minus sub-I obviously)? Or do you have to set up your own for a number of them?

Not a student yet, but I can tell you what I do know already (and what I speculate to be true).
First, I am not sure every rotation site requires a lottery, only when there are fewer spots than interested students. As far as when it is done, I think the MSII's are doing them in about two weeks, just to give you some perspective. I think setting up your own rotations is only done in fourth year, so there would be no lottery.

ShyRem and rgerwin, invite you to chime in to add and/or correct me ;)

So say I wanted to do both third and fourth year rotations at some place like Fletcher Allen in VT. Could I? In other words could I stay in the same place for all two years if I chose to? And would I have to set anything up myself or would it all be part of the lottery?

I keep hearing stories of people setting up their own rotations and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible, except for my sub-I or electives of course. But core rotations, I'd rather have scheduled for me.

I think you have to do your 3rd year rotations at one of the core sites; I don't think there are any in Vermont. Check out this link, you may get many of your questions answered there:
http://www.une.edu/com/clinical/

Lottery is for 3rd year rotations and as previously mentioned (good speculation btw) not every site will go to Lottery. By this time of year the Clinical Affairs peeps give the 2nd year lottery committee the breakdown of the # of spots available at each Clinical Training Center. For example: if East Bumble, ME has 20 spots available and 23 students want to go there then it will go to lottery for the difference (essentially, I'm really watering this down). If 18 people end up wanting to go there then no need to go to lottery for that site. Comprende? At this point, I would focus on getting into medical school and surviving the 1st year. Lottery is held in the Spring semester of the 2nd year here at UNECOM. For 3rd year your Rotations will be performed, for the most part, at the same hospital or same CTC (Clinical Training Center). 4th year is a whole different beast. YOU set up YOUR own rotations for 4th year wherever you want to and can meet all of the requirements to graduate. Some people like this flexible nature for 4th year others do not. But, as I said, 3rd year you are all set based on what site you end up going to. Heck, you even have an open block during 3rd year that is nice for setting up a rotation in an area you are really interested in and do not get exposed to during your 3rd year clinical track.
Cheers,
Steve F.
UNECOM
OMS-II

So say I wanted to do both third and fourth year rotations at some place like Fletcher Allen in VT. Could I? In other words could I stay in the same place for all two years if I chose to? And would I have to set anything up myself or would it all be part of the lottery?

I keep hearing stories of people setting up their own rotations and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible, except for my sub-I or electives of course. But core rotations, I'd rather have scheduled for me.

No Sites in Vermont or New Hampshire as of yet. See my previous post about setting up your own rotations wherever you like (essentially) for 4th year.
There are rumblings about an agreement with some hospital in Vermont...just rumors though at this point...and no I do NOT know what hospital.

-S

Let me explain something here...

Perspective students are given a song and dance about this school, and are only told the top selling points. Who wouldn't do that? Common sense tells you that when applying to any school and asking people like the recruiters or students whom hold some position in a school organization; your most likely to get a fluffed up answer.

All I am providing is the other side with no spin. Ask student questions about taking step 2 before colloquim and what about step 2 PE for military scholars. Ask a student who is their favorite and least favorite faculty and ask why. I didn't know well enough to ask these questions. Also, ask about the pass rates for USMLE and COMLEX and ask to see it in black and white. Ask whether the school teaches material in accordance with boards or whether it is based on the professors own agenda. Believe me, these are important questions for any school. Find out how centered the school is on their students. Like encouraging them to attend professional meetings and outside education seminars... not just if they could, but if the school was supportive and in what ways.

I could go on here, but please understand I am just trying to alert students who like myself believed that I would be given a clear and concise picture.

thanks shyrem. just for your own info (or anyone else with questions about the regular waitlist), i was told that no one from the alternate waitlist (not ASA) has been accepted in almost four years. :( guess i'll be applying again in may. congrats to everyone that has been accepted and good luck to all still waiting on asa. peace :luck:

So, the rankings came out and I'm on the 3rd tier. I counted all the mail recipients on my email and there were 21. So there are about 84 people on the ASA currently. I find it very unlikely that 50+ people will withdraw giving enough space for the likes of me to get in this August. Now, I don't say that so people will reply with "Hey, hang in there, it could happen." Shyrem is always realistically supportive, but this is probably not gonna happen. Now, that's okay because I am in for next year. Which leads to the next part of the post. The adcom decided to allow ASA's to take a seat for the entering class of 2009. Great news, but just another year to wait.

So, if any of you out there are on the 1st or 2nd tier, do you already have biochemistry? How much of a factor does that one class have on this process?

I believe third tier generally doesn't have a good chance. first yes. Second.. reasonable. third tier is really really hit or miss. Generally miss.

As for biochem, I've heard it's not a factor unless they call you and you don't have the time to take biochem. Biochem is a matriculation requirement -- so if you're on the asa list and haven't taken biochem, I'd take a biochem course. It would really stink to be waiting for the call, get it 2 weeks before class starts and then have to get turned down because you don't fulfill the pre-reqs.

sorry army. :( stranger things have happened tho. Keep in touch with the admissions dept to ask about movement and your chances. If they go through the whole first tier by the end of May, your chances look exponentially better.

I was on the second tier last year and had already taken biochem (I am/was a biochem major) yet I still did not get in...I did however wait this year and will be attending this fall...In all honesty there is no hope for the third tier, and best thing would be to find something to do for the next year and wait (unless you have another school you have already been accepted to that you would be happy attending).

bump!
Anyone have any updates since the ASA ranking came out last week?

I am a 4th year UNECOM student and just matched to my residency in
Tucson, Arizona. I have a 2 Bedroom, 1 1/2 bath Condo that I will be renting in Saco, ME. It is an approx 10 minute drive to school and is in a great location - close to restaurants / grocery stores / banks etc. The condo has hardwood floors, large finished basement, washer/dryer, one car garage with plenty of additional storage space, extra parking etc. This is a great place for a family coming to med school or for a couple of students to share. There is an option to rent furnished for all those who have nothing when they start med school - as I did. I also have copies of the utility bills to get an idea what heat/electricity have cost me - (not too bad).
Also, if anyone has any questions about UNECOM from start to finish I would be glad to answer them.
Please contact me @ [email protected] if you are interested in taking a look / renting my condo. I have plenty of pictures that I can email to you.
Thanks!
Good luck to everyone.

I am a 4th year UNECOM student and just matched to my residency in
Tucson, Arizona. I have a 2 Bedroom, 1 1/2 bath Condo that I will be renting in Saco, ME. It is an approx 10 minute drive to school and is in a great location - close to restaurants / grocery stores / banks etc. The condo has hardwood floors, large finished basement, washer/dryer, one car garage with plenty of additional storage space, extra parking etc. This is a great place for a family coming to med school or for a couple of students to share. There is an option to rent furnished for all those who have nothing when they start med school - as I did. I also have copies of the utility bills to get an idea what heat/electricity have cost me - (not too bad).
Also, if anyone has any questions about UNECOM from start to finish I would be glad to answer them.
Please contact me @ [email protected] if you are interested in taking a look / renting my condo. I have plenty of pictures that I can email to you.
Thanks!
Good luck to everyone.

...more appropriate for the classified section...?

ATrain, I couldn't agree more. Although we appreciate and commend you on your match, could we have a refrain from soliciting and keep comments focused on UNECOM admissions and things pertinent.

That being said, I'll ask again. . . anyone have any updates since the ASA ranking came out last week? I know most movement will occurr in may but you never know ...

Well ATrain, I disagree even though it is not my class thread...I know last year I wanted any post on this particular thread AND I was looking for places so I think you can manage to scroll just alittle more to find out what you want from the thread;) I guess the mods can decide but I am going to post about an apt. here. I am a MS1 going on MS2 at UNECOM and I personally love the school.

Hello Potential UNECOMers,

Elizabeth and I have a chance to move into a new apt. that may work a little better for our two Chesapeake bay retrievers. Unfortunately, the lease would start on May 1st and our current lease goes through the end of June. That said, we are thinking about subleasing our beautiful 3 bedroom (we use it as a two bedroom and BIG office-it is the bottom of a house) apartment for part of May and June and you could probably pick up the lease from there if you wanted. This would be great for anyone getting kicked out of their winter rentals now. Cost is $925 month and you can fit 2-4 people (depending on couples) in here.

Pluses:
Great landlord (young guy-not slumlord)-he fixes everything
great upstairs and next door neighbors
dogpark/baseball field right outside the door
small fenced in backyard
HUGE basement for storage
closets-one big walking as well
offstreet parking for 3 spots
nice paint and colors inside
apt. is really very nice
small front sunroom
multiple entrances
washer/dryer hookups (we are taking our washer/dryer)
pets allowed (But for you non-pet types, there is no evidence that pets are allowed here-clean)

Not so pluses:
near bacon st.
heat not included
you have to shovel your snow
I don't really like our postman-he practically needs a red carpet up to the mailbox to deliver our mail. I call him princess.
small kitchen

Those are things I can think of off the top of my head. We can talk if you are interested. If I get really desperate and we are renting two places than I can talk to you about lower the rent for the subleasing time period. Right now we are in the process of talking to the other landlord so we are NOT confirmed to move yet, but given how quick this is moving, I wanted to throw this apartment out there for others to consider. We have enjoyed it.

Pics:

living room:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dgriss1/MedicalSchoolYearOne/photo#5102410958969571346

main bedroom:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dgriss1/MedicalSchoolYearOne/photo#5102411044868917314

more:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dgriss1/MedicalSchoolYearOne/photo#5102410993329309730
http://picasaweb.google.com/dgriss1/MedicalSchoolYearOne/photo#5102411023394080818

cheers,
dave
[email protected]

Not really bothered by these being here, in fact I myself am looking for a place for August. I made the comment because there is a specific forum on SDN designed for exactly this type of post. That being said, I know those forums are not requented, so perhaps it would be appropriate to have a "UNECOM Housing Available" thread or something to that effect? Again, I don't think it is a big deal either way and, as you said, it is up to the mods :)