UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SMLynch

Hi, I haven't heard too much about the University of New England COM on this board, and would like to heard any input from applicants/interviewies/students about the school. I was just there for an interview, and I was very impressed with the friendliness of the students and faculty. It seems like a very non-competitve, very supportive group of students, which I believe fosters a great learning environment. The surrounding area is BEAUTIFUL, safe, (and cheap living!)

Thanks for any info..

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year at UNECOM. I had the same impression as you when I interviewed last year. Let me just tell you that your impressions are right on. I think the admissions committee at UNE seeks a class that will work together at helping each other succeed at their dream of becoming a doctor. They also seek a diverse student body. The amount of life experience in my class of 113 is enormous! I have made such wonderful friends in the last three months -- ones that I am sure I will keep for life. The pace is pretty brutal, especially for those of us with families, but the comraderie helps a lot!

Renee

Oh yeah, and it is beautiful here! Another reason I wanted to attend. I'm originally from Florida, but I love Maine.

I just got home from my interview at UNE (yesterday) and have to second SMLynch's comments. Everything I saw and experienced was great.

Although the tuition is not cheap (~26K), there are ways to avoid getting the full brunt of the burden.

------------------
Phillip
Class of 2004 (somewhere)
Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I loved the school. Maine's a great place to be. SMLynch, I think we interviewed at the same time. Let me know if you're coming too!

I am accepted at UNECOM for next fall. There is one aspect of the program that I am not sure about....the 3rd and 4th years. It sounds like a lot of moving around. If there are any UNECOM students who are currently dealing with this or understand it better, please let me know what you think of it. Thanks.

Dr. Gav - I interviewed Nov. 9th. Who are you? I believe I am definately going!

Emily,

I'm not an UNE student yet, but I do know about the clinical rotations there. The 3rd year rotation sites are assigned by a lottery system. There are sites in OH, PA, NJ, NY and ME. You draw a piece of paper from the hat and what you end up with is where you go. You can switch with someone if you both agree. Almost all of your rotations will be in that area, but you might have to do 1 or 2 in a different area.

The 4th year rotations are done wherever you like. You set them up yourself and then they are (most often) approved.

It's not really a bad system and they are constantly tweaking it for maximum effectiveness and practicality.

Phillip Snider, MS, RD
UNECOM '04

I am not completely sure about the rotation system there, but the tours said they gather eveyone up in the hall, put pieces of papers with designations of various rotations, and everyone goes to their first choice. Then, if there are, say, too many people going to NJ, then they ask if poeple could go elsewhere. It seemed like they really try to be accomodating, before just assigning people.