UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ins

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new to this community (just joined). Do any of you have thoughts on UNECOM? How is the school, what sort of reputation does it carry, and training?

I am taking the MCATs this August (yeahaa)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I will be starting at UNECOM in August. I really liked everything about it while up there, everyone seemed very happy to be there. Reputation-wise, I've heard it's very good, especially in osteopathic manipulation and rural medicine.
AND, it's only an hour and a half from Boston, where I notice you're from too! Biddeford is really nice too, the school is right on the ocean.

Good luck on the MCAT in August!

this is a bit of a biased response, as I'm from Maine, and will be applying to UNE. It has a great reputation, and my DO speaks highly of the education she received. I like that it has a great OMT program, and it's right on the ocean!! The southern part of Maine is a great place with a lot going on, and the northern part has many rural medical oppertunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I just finished my 1st yr at UNECOM and I wouldn't change it for a thing (especially when I speak to friends at other schools).
My classmates are great (and I actually know all of them), most of us go out together to get away from school, the 2nd yrs help us out with notes (feel free to use us next yr), we help each other out (especially if someone is struggling in a course), the grading system is good (P/F/HP)--> less competition, our Anatomy and OMM programs are very good, and we have good rotation sites for 3rd year (New Jersey, Upstate NY, Mass, Maine, etc., the grads match in very good to top residency positions, etc.....

Not everything is perfect in all schools, but I think we have it pretty good. We may not like every professor, but I think it's more of a personality issue between some students and the prof (you'll get that anywhere you go).

Overall, I think we are trained very well (as per some of our recent grads that I've spoken to.

Anyway, I'm gonna have some fun during the next 9 wks and relax.

For those who are applying, good luck. For those who will be attending, good luck! The 1st few weeks seem like a rush, but it all settles down...See you 1st yrs during the Anatomy reviews.

thank you all for your replies.. I have passed by Bidderford before (actually, Maine is where I would love to live). Love it... As for the school, I have to say that this is my first choice.. For those of you who are in the school, I am having a bit of a hard time finding a DO in the area (common problem), and I am aware of the fact that a letter of rec is highly recommended. What are your thoughts on that? How many letters should I plan on having? (For the past 4 years I have worked doing research, and have a number of excellent references, past advisors from Undergrad and Grad, i.e. PhD's, MD's) Who do I pick, how many, etc?

Thank you for your replies, in advance

ins,

I had the same problem in finding a DO in the Boston area. Eventually I found a bunch by looking online at local chapters of the Osteopathic Society. Usually there is a contact (president, secretary, etc) who you can contact and get a few leads.

I'd definitely get a DO letter if you could along with other stell LORs; it will only make your application stronger.

Good luck on your hunt! :)

care

hey ins - i'm about 85% sure i'm going to UNECOM in the fall. i really liked it when i went to visit - students were awesome, facilities were some of the best i've seen. can't beat the location either. i was a bit leary about the clinical exposure in the unpopulated area, but i've been reading more about it, and they'll ship you out to more populated areas for your rotations, and 4th year rotations you can go wherever you want to, which is good (i'll probably use connections through work to get stuff). As for the rec from a DO, I didn't get one and was still admitted. I did meet with one before my interview - I basically opened the phone book and started calling. He's at the Faulkner (I'm in Boston too - huge contingency here on SDN, apparently), anyway, it was just good to talk to someone in practice about stigma/reputation/problems, etc. turned out he was a UNECOM grad as well. Go figure. You can send me a message and I'll give you his name. Good luck on the MCAT, though.

Hi there!
I was accepted to UNECOM about a month ago. I have not received anything from the school besides my letter of acceptance and a financial aid packet. Is there a website for the class of 2006? I am very anxious to start receiving some communication from the school. I will be visiting Maine next week to look for a house to buy. Does anyone have any feedback on the towns near the school?

I have heard that you can get houses right on the beach pretty close to the school for a decent price. My family physician went there and that's what he did.

Don't know much about towns around the school though.

INS, I know several people in my class who did not get a letter of rec from a DO and they got in with no problem. It is highly recommended and I would try finding a DO from your Yellow Pages or from your state osteopathic assoc. Aside from a letter from a DO, I sent in a letter from the doc I did research with...that always looks good. I believe they would like 2 letters in all.

Monkey5555, Our 3rd yr rotations are in rural areas as well as urban areas. We go through a lottery system during our 2nd year to find out where we go and almost everyone gets to go where they want. Of course, during 4th year, you can go where you want. Our school has an OMM and AHEC (rural) required rotation. I believe the OMM rotation is fulfilled at UNE and the AHEC in underserved areas of ME (some of these places aren't rural at all and I heard you get a lot of hands on experience).

ugogirl, don't worry about getting stuff from the Graduate & Medical Student Affairs Office. I was wondering the same thing when I got in, but you'll get plenty of mailings soon. You should fill out your FAFSA ASAP so they can get your financial aid stuff ready and you can get your money during the 1st month of classes.
Apartments in Biddeford/Saco are really cheap! If you look at beach houses, make sure they have heating (not all do). There isn't much in Biddeford, but there's enough for you when you're at school. Come up to S. Portland/Portland and you can go out w/ friends and stuff...only 20 miles away...20 minutes away.

Oh, you will be required to buy a lot of stuff, but don't worry. 1st year is the most expensive!
You do not need to buy clogs...old sneakers will do. You do need Nitrile gloves for Gross. I would buy the old testbook (really helps). All this info will come to you soon.

Oh, you do not need to sign up for every club right away...take your time!

Website for Class of 2006 is:
<a href="http://www.une.edu/studentlife/gmsaorientation/" target="_blank">http://www.une.edu/studentlife/gmsaorientation/</a>
index.html

P.S: If anyone needs to buy books, let me know.

Hope all this info. helps. Good luck and hope to see you all soon!

Hi! I'll be an MS-II at UNECOM this fall, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in on all this. I'm not from Maine, but I lived out here for almost a year before school started, during which time I moved three times (and almost bought a house).

On the D.O. letter: NOT required, I don't even know what difference it makes, I got in without one and so did alot of people in my class. If you already know one, great, but if you don't, how good of a letter can someone write who hardly knows you anyway? I doubt a lukewarm D.O. letter would be a plus in your file just because it's a "D.O" letter.

On Beach housing: it's usually seasonal (Labor Day to memorial Day). Good luck finding something that lets you stay year-round. It happens, rarely. Many of my classmates who live on the beach had to live in B&B's, etc. until their place opened up.

On HEAT: My classmate wasn't kidding - alot of the beach places are either not heated or poorly heated. Since it will be cold most of the time you are here, make heat a #1 issue when looking at houses. Some places are heated, but super drafty and you'll kill your bank account buying oil, even with plastic over the windows and the whole winter prep shabang.

On Mailings: Pretty soon, you'll get tons of mailings with things that (supposedly) need to be bought/filled out/etc. I think we started getting junk in mid-June. If you don't get anything by then, call the GMSA office. The most important mailings are the financial aid and the TB test/shots records.

On buying things: from the first mailing to the end of your first year, you'll be bothered to buy things, and you don't need half the crap. Here's my opinion on it all:

Medical equipment: Buy the required stuff and nothing more. You don't need the expensive oto/ophthalmoscope. I bought a mid-priced stethoscope but haven't noticed a difference between mine and my classmates, cheap or expensive. My BP cuff is made of this plastic material, and it is uncomfortable because of this. If there's a cloth one, I'd get that. I bought the bag from SOIMA (a club here - you'll get a mailing with tons of crap being sold by clubs). It's a nice bag, but now that I've spiffed out my medical bag (I have first aid stuff, an ear thermometer, etc. in it now), there's not enough room for all my stuff. If you plan on stocking your bag, you may want to get a bigger bag from somewhere else. Also, I went nuts over how we got to pick our own colors, got all creative and bought a burgundy bag, and it looks ******ed and unprofessional when I'm in my preceptorship gear (you go to doc's offices about once a month your first year). I wish I'd bought a better bag.

Books: You'll have tons of MS-IIs trying to sell you books. Most of the people this year were selling stupid books that they never even used themselves. Some classes you can get by without ANY book, so before you start buying books, consult with a second year who ISN'T selling books about whether or not it's necessary. As for the "Required" books - we (the MS-IIs) made this survey packet on all the classes you will be taking, with our tips on how to study, what books are best, etc. You'll get that within the first week. Buy your Grant's Dissector, and wait for that survey before buying any other books. Also, last year AMSA gave out a free Netter's Atlas for signing up. So wait on buying that too.

On buying a house - Houses are ridiculously overpriced in southern Maine. I looked for a house to buy (Portland, S. Portland,Gorham, Westbrook, Biddeford, Scarborough, Saco, Cape Elizabeth, Kennebunk, Falmouth - everywhere!) and there were two main problems: 1) very low vacancy rate around here, so not much choice - therefore, overpriced. 2) Only ~25 rotations for 3rd year are in Maine, so if you buy a house, chances are you'll be selling it within two years. Biddeford is considered a trashy area (in-town Biddeford, not the Pool, which is where the school is) by most of the state and houses around here are harder to sell, even with the low supply.

On apartments: Try <a href="http://www.mainetoday.com" target="_blank">www.mainetoday.com</a> and <a href="http://www.journaltribune.com" target="_blank">www.journaltribune.com</a> as well as the UNE housing website. That should be a good start. Also, email [email protected] and [email protected] and ask my classmates if they know of any places that are opening up.

Buy the gloves. (an echo)

You don't need the clogs (but they're comfortable). (another echo)

I bought two pairs of the glasses the EM Club was selling, and couldn't wear then because they don't fit over my regular glasses. Think about that when buying goggles/glasses for anatomy lab.

Scrubs: Gank some scrubs from the healthcare place you work at (or have a friend who works at such a place get some). The ones we sell are pretty expensive. I bought one pair to help out the club selling them, and to have some with the school logo on them, but I didn't wear them to anatomy lab. You'll end up burning the crap you wear in there anyway.

Checking out houses: I live here, and will be around Biddeford all summer. If you get an address of a place, I'll be happy to whiz by with my digital camera and email you a picture or two. I'll leave my email address at the end of this message.

Any other questions: PM me or email me. I'm happy to help anyone interested in coming here. I love it here, and have no regrets about choosing UNE.

Doc Oc
[email protected]
UNECOM Class of 2005

This message is for any accepted applicants or current students. I am applying to only DO schools, and I am interested in UNECOM. My question is that their website says biochemistry is required. Is it actually required or can other courses be substituted? I have several that other schools wil consider, but not biochemistry labelled such as a course.
Thank you.
Belle

This message is for any accepted applicants or current students. I am applying to only DO schools, and I am interested in UNECOM. My question is that their website says biochemistry is required. Is it actually required or can other courses be substituted? I have several that other schools will consider, but not biochemistry labelled such as a course.
Thank you.
Belle

JerseyBelle,
I just interviewed there this spring and was accepted for the class of 2006. Yeah! Anyway, they are strict on the biochem thing. It came up in my interview. I thought I had not taken it but apparently they counted some class I had taken in 1992. The instructor was one of my interviewers and she highly recommended that I repeat biochem before school starts.

As for DO vs. MD letter. I could not locate a DO in my area so I called UNE and explained that I knew a MD very well and would they accept a letter from him. They said they would rather have a MD letter from someone who knew me well than a DO letter from someone who just met me.

Good luck in your application process! Maybe I will see you next year at UNECOM.

hey -

good luck to you who are starting at UNECOM in the fall - im going to be a third year next year and looking forward to starting my rotaitons - i wouldn't have changed a thing about going to UNE and if i had to choose again, i'd stay where i went.

ugogirl- or anyother future UNECOMer - i'm vacating a great apartment - its in Biddeford, great location and quiet location - 5 min drive to school and its year round - no its not near the ocean - but it is near the town and the turnpike - so it doens't take an additional 10 minutues to get out or go to the supermarket. I told my landlord i'd see what i could do to help find another med student - if your interested - send me an e-mail.

Siednarb,
I have not figured out how to send a PM on SDN yet so can you send me your email address?
My email is [email protected]
Thanks!