Unecom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatDO12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the amount of preference given to students from New England? I was all about going here but am starting to wonder if I will get in because I am not from New England. Also, they have a question on the secondary that confuses me. Describe any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty members, student affairs, etc...? A little weird that they expect everyone to have contact with people at the school especially if you are applying from 2000 miles away.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview and I am living in Pennsylvania, although I was living in DC when I sent in my primary.

If you really want to go there, and you want to find a unecom graduate to shadow then you can try using this website:

http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/Mentor_main.htm

put in your state and the school and see if anyone is near you. This way, you might be able to call the DO up and see if you could meet them and then use their name for that section. Or say you plan to shadow/meet that particular graduate.

You could also just leave it blank. I felt it was similar to how some schools ask you if a family member is an alumin or you have legacy status.

Luckily for me I actually met two UNECOM students over the summer so that might of helped.

Marcia

i spoke with them today to ask about my chances of even getting an interview (i didn't feel like parting with my last $55 if it was pointless). They said that the fact that i live west of the mississippi really goes against me. I guess there's a hierarchy amongst regions. I hope you're not on the wrong side of the river like me :), Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the amount of preference given to students from New England? I was all about going here but am starting to wonder if I will get in because I am not from New England. Also, they have a question on the secondary that confuses me. Describe any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty members, student affairs, etc...? A little weird that they expect everyone to have contact with people at the school especially if you are applying from 2000 miles away.

There is a preference for those in the New England area, particulary ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI, and some for NY and NJ. That does not mean that they won't consider everyone.

i spoke with them today to ask about my chances of even getting an interview (i didn't feel like parting with my last $55 if it was pointless). They said that the fact that i live west of the mississippi really goes against me. I guess there's a hierarchy amongst regions. I hope you're not on the wrong side of the river like me :), Good luck to you!

New England proper and NY and NJ for the most part.

I am from IL. It sucks because I have a 9,10,9,P MCAT, 3.6 GPA, have a letter from a DO, and good job experience yet it seems like I am SOL.

I am from IL. It sucks because I have a 9,10,9,P MCAT, 3.6 GPA, have a letter from a DO, and good job experience yet it seems like I am SOL.

No, you're not. There's a poster named ShyRem who wasn't from New England. I think she's from Colorado actually and she was accepted last year. They don't take only New England students.

No one is SOL. Just APPLY already & stop worrying about it! :D
There's SOME preference for New England residents. There are plenty of people from out of NE that get accepted. It isn't like Oklahoma or Texas, where they take 80 or 90% In state students. It is the only DO school in all of New England, but that doesn't mean it's only got people from NE - that's just not so!

That would be me. I was from Colorado. I got an early interview (late September), and an early acceptance. Let me dispell this one right now. We have students from all over the country. Yes, all over. Colorado, California, Iowa, Texas, Oregon, and even Hawaii. There are TWO of us from Colorado in my class. Do they give preference to Mainers? Probably - UNE is the ONLY med school in Maine, and Maine is horribly underserved. Does that mean you won't have a shot? HECK NO. The only way you don't have a shot at UNE is if YOU say no. Off the top of my head, I'd say at least 30% of our class is NOT from Maine. That's probably a VERY low estimate. Heck, no one at my cadaver table is from Maine.

So I hear you say "but they said NEW ENGLAND, you *****". Ok. Fine. There are lots from the New England area... but not many folks want to move too far away if they don't have to. Think about it. Would you rather be 1 or 2 hours from your family or would you rather be 12 hours in a plane away from your family? And if you have a husband and children of your own, it's not simple to move them all cross-country (believe me).

Oh - and the group of students interviewing today had someone from Colorado in it too.

SO. Are there a LOT of New Englanders at UNE? Sure. Does that mean they won't interview you or accept you? No. Unless you don't apply, that is. Then I can guarantee they won't interview or accept you.

That would be me. I was from Colorado. I got an early interview (late September), and an early acceptance. Let me dispell this one right now. We have students from all over the country. Yes, all over. Colorado, California, Iowa, Texas, Oregon, and even Hawaii. There are TWO of us from Colorado in my class. Do they give preference to Mainers? Probably - UNE is the ONLY med school in Maine, and Maine is horribly underserved. Does that mean you won't have a shot? HECK NO. The only way you don't have a shot at UNE is if YOU say no. Off the top of my head, I'd say at least 30% of our class is NOT from Maine. That's probably a VERY low estimate. Heck, no one at my cadaver table is from Maine.

So I hear you say "but they said NEW ENGLAND, you *****". Ok. Fine. There are lots from the New England area... but not many folks want to move too far away if they don't have to. Think about it. Would you rather be 1 or 2 hours from your family or would you rather be 12 hours in a plane away from your family? And if you have a husband and children of your own, it's not simple to move them all cross-country (believe me).

Oh - and the group of students interviewing today had someone from Colorado in it too.

SO. Are there a LOT of New Englanders at UNE? Sure. Does that mean they won't interview you or accept you? No. Unless you don't apply, that is. Then I can guarantee they won't interview or accept you.

OMG - someone from Hawaii? That poor soul. He or she just might freeze to death when winter comes along...

Oh, it'll be ok. They give you a "fashion show" during orientation so the ones from warmer climates know how to dress. :)

We also have students from other countries - not just Canada either. And some students may just see their very first snow EVER while at UNE. I'm sure they'll learn very quickly how to pack a snowball. :laugh:

I'm an international student and I was invited for an interview and if accepted will experience my first snow filled winter there :D so you should go ahead and apply!

Oh, it'll be ok. They give you a "fashion show" during orientation so the ones from warmer climates know how to dress. :)

We also have students from other countries - not just Canada either. And some students may just see their very first snow EVER while at UNE. I'm sure they'll learn very quickly how to pack a snowball. :laugh:

too bad UNE is so far from the mountains for snowboarding

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you rather be 1 or 2 hours from your family or would you rather be 12 hours in a plane away from your family?

You've never met my family apparently :laugh:

Could be like a buddy of mine from Miami whose first run in with a snowflake happened while we were stationed in Maryland.....it landed on his nose and he jumped back like he had been shocked with electricity and when we asked what was wrong he exclaimed "It's cold! I wasn't expecting that!" :laugh:

I don't think UNE is *that* far from the mountains. Apparently there's often a contingent heading out each weekend. I hear the "mountains" are about 1 hour away or so. (don't ask me to verify this... after the Rocky Mountains, I haven't seen anything even close out here. The highest thing they call a "mountain" here is 6,200 ft.) I do see signs on the highway pointing the "ski areas" fairly close by.

I don't think UNE is *that* far from the mountains. Apparently there's often a contingent heading out each weekend. I hear the "mountains" are about 1 hour away or so. (don't ask me to verify this... after the Rocky Mountains, I haven't seen anything even close out here. The highest thing they call a "mountain" here is 6,200 ft.) I do see signs on the highway pointing the "ski areas" fairly close by.
:laugh:

6,200 ft is a mountain.....as opposed to the highest point in Indiana: http://www.waynet.org/waynet/spotlight/2004/040908-highpoint.htm :laugh:

yah, apparently to those that have bene out west these are just little hills... but those of use from here on the east coast like em! :) We do have skiing not to far away, plus the big vermont slopes are only a 4-5 hour drive away.

They are OLD mountains - they are shrinking, just like your great-grandmother. Well, maybe not just like her. But yah, not like the Rockies, that's for sure... I really love Grand Lake, CO. But anyway...

Some other thread had a whole long thing from UNE people about all the outdoors stuff they get up to apparently...I'm thinking snowboarding is definitely in there.

That's great! This reinforces the great sense I got from the students when I was there. Anatomy Jeopardy, "fashion shows" for the thin blooded southerners... I love it!!

Could be like a buddy of mine from Miami whose first run in with a snowflake happened while we were stationed in Maryland.....it landed on his nose and he jumped back like he had been shocked with electricity and when we asked what was wrong he exclaimed "It's cold! I wasn't expecting that!" :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Oh, it'll be ok. They give you a "fashion show" during orientation so the ones from warmer climates know how to dress.

Wait until they learn the definition of the term "dead shovel". :smuggrin:

I grew up in CT but have lived in IL for the past 23 years. I wonder how that will affect my odds of acceptance.

your odds of acceptance are ZERO if you don't apply. I'm tellin' ya - you are all making too much of a big deal out of the "new england preference" thing. Just ignore that and apply. You might be surprised.

I've never lived anywhere near New England and UNECOM is my #1 choice for DO programs, with DMU a close second. The alleged preference will not stop me from applying.

I managed to find a UNECOM alum and was wondering what questions I should ask him besides the obvious (what did you like about the school, what did you dislike, has he remained involved with the school, how is living in maine, etc...)????

I see you already have a DO letter, but ask the UNECOM alumni if you could maybe shadow her/him once or twice and..... maybe even if she/he would be comfortable if you could put their name down as one of those people you know on the secondary. Just a thought. :)

I've never lived anywhere near New England and UNECOM is my #1 choice for DO programs, with DMU a close second. The alleged preference will not stop me from applying.

That's funny--those are my #1 and #2 choices too. How did you pick those?