Unecom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So since UNECOM is doing space available acceptances, do you guys know if that guarantees acceptance for next years class if you can't get in this year?

This year UNECOM is trying something different and many people who get "accepted space available" may be accepted without an interview for next year however, that's not always the case. If the reviewers think your application is weaker than most accepted students, they will have you reapply and re-interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Hooray! I got my ASA letter today! Does this mean if there are no spaces available for this year's class, that I'd automatically be in for next year's class? If not, how does it differ from the wait list?

You'll probably get accepted without an interview for next year however, it not 100% guaranteed. No one has been pulled from the "alternate list" in about 5-6 years. The "alternate list" is rarely used and is basically a nicer way of telling someone they're not accepted. I'm pretty sure that anyone who gets an "alternate list" will have to reapply.

ASA is a good sign!

I'm a little confused.
I was told by the Phd who interviewed me (March 8th) that the class was full...so is this really just a polite way to tell me that I was waitlisted.
I just read a post by one pre-med who interviewed on March 15th and got an Acceptance...not an ASA.
Can someone please help clarify this for me:(:confused::confused:

They will move the people they want the most to the top of the accepted space available list. Most likely what the interviewer told you was true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the following question. My answer is below in PURPLE
-------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Hi,
Thanks for your posts on the ASA issue. .. If we are on the ASA list, when will they be telling us which of those scenarios applies to us? I know that the list will be ranked at the end of April.
Also, how did you know that nobody has been accepted off that list in 5 or 6 years? I have heard diffrently from a current MSI students at UNECOM.
Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------
Sorry if I wasn't clear on the ASA issue. The ASA list and the Alternate List are 2 completely seperate lists. ASA basically means that all reviewers agreed that you should be accepted. The Alternate list is rarely used- it is much more likely a person will be rejected outright. Since no one has been pulled from the Alternate list in 5-6 years, I'm not sure why they still use it. Perhaps it's used when reviewers can't agree on accepting someone? I'm not sure.

On another note- UNECOM is still interviewing people for next year and if you hold a ASA spot, some of newly accepted people (depending on their qualifications) may affect your spot on the ASA list. At this point, it's not first come-first serve rather, as they open up, spots will be given to the most qualified/strongest applicants.

If you have an ASA spot..congrats! and keep up hope- I applied to UNECOM late in the game and was put on the ASA list. I was accepted mid-late April.

UNECOM provides excellent training and we have been very happy here.

There have been several comments on sdn that indicate that those of us with ASA letters are on a "high priority waitlist". Anyone hear of someone being put on another type of waitlist at UNE, i.e a lower priority waitlist? Being on the ASA list is only a high priority if there is a lower priority list, and so far I haven't heard about that. If anyone has heard of anything other than these three categories at this point in the cyce: ASA/reject/accept, please let us know. Thanks everyone

As far as I know, ASA is simply the waitlist. If your letter specifically states or you were specifically told during your interview that you are "high priority" than, I'm guessing, you're probably at the top of the list.

If you get ASA, it probably means that:
1. they have sent out enough acceptances to fill the class and are waiting for people to reject their acceptances so they can offer them to people on the ASA list or
2. they have filled the class and are waiting for people to withdraw as they get acceptances from other schools (probably silly since we all know UNECOM is the best ;) )

I hope my opinions to some of these questions help you. Applying to med school is a bit of a crap shoot but hang in there!! Just remember, if you have a ASA spot...you've been accepted to, in my opinion, one of the BEST Med Schools and no one can take that away. UNECOM is worth the wait!

On another note- perhaps the best piece of advice I can give for people applying next year is..APPLY EARLY and INTERVIEW EARLY so you don't have to play the waiting game :D

On another note- perhaps the best piece of advice I can give for people applying next year is..APPLY EARLY and INTERVIEW EARLY so you don't have to play the waiting game :D

I couldn't agree more...

This year UNECOM is trying something different and many people who get "accepted space available" may be accepted without an interview for next year however, that's not always the case. If the reviewers think your application is weaker than most accepted students, they will have you reapply and re-interview.

Kelaskov, thanks for giving us hopeful ASAers something to hang our hats on. Regarding the new process they are trying, wherein some people will be accepted without an interview:

(1) When you say accepted without an interview, do you mean that we would not have to reapply, but would be told that we are guaranteed a spot in 2012 without going through AACOMAS again?

(2) Is this official information from the admissions staff? Do you think that they would be familiar with/acknowledging this policy if ASAers queried about it later this spring, after the list is ranked?

(3) When might they let us know whether we are in the accepted without reapplying or reinterviewing category or not? Do you we will know about our status for 2012 before the beginning of August?

Thanks!

Kelaskov, thanks for giving us hopeful ASAers something to hang our hats on. Regarding the new process they are trying, wherein some people will be accepted without an interview:

(1) When you say accepted without an interview, do you mean that we would not have to reapply, but would be told that we are guaranteed a spot in 2012 without going through AACOMAS again?

I believe so, yes.
(2) Is this official information from the admissions staff? Do you think that they would be familiar with/acknowledging this policy if ASAers queried about it later this spring, after the list is ranked?

It definitely doesn't hurt to ask about the specifics for your particular situation. Find out if you will be guaranteed entrance to the next year's class or if they want you to improve your application by taking the MCAT again, increasing your GPA, etc.

(3) When might they let us know whether we are in the accepted without reapplying or reinterviewing category or not? Do you we will know about our status for 2012 before the beginning of August?

Thanks!

The best answer I can give you is to ASK the school about your specific situation. If you're still on the ASA, I would definitely write a letter of intent. (I'm not 100% sure if this will make a difference but it won't hurt to show the school that they are your first choice and update them on any improvements in your application that may have occured). If you are still on the waitlist at the end of April, I would try to find out where you are on the list. I would also ask them if you are guaranteed acceptance for the following year and if so, get a letter from them confirming your spot.

If you are not guarenteed a spot for next year and they say you have to reapply, I would definitely ask them what they feel are areas of your application that could be improved apon to be guaranteed acceptance.

Everyone's situation is different but if you are a qualified applicant and intent on attending UNECOM, they will do everything possible to help you get accepted.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info Kelaskov. As another ASA-er who reeeally wants to go to UNECOM over any other school accepted to/applied to thus far it is nice to know there is some hope and having a better idea of how this list functions is great too! thanks!

I have an interview on 4/17, does anyone know if the class is full. Are they only placing students on the ASA and waitlist?:)

medschool, the only one who can really answer that question is someone in admissions. All other replies would be merely speculation.

Thanks!

Reposted from before:
Speaking as someone who was on the ASA list last year, what happened with us was that we were kept on a list with the chance of starting in the fall that we originally applied for. For me, this was fall 2006. As, ShyRem and others have said, people even started classes two days into the school year. When the class was officially full, we were no longer in the running for that year. We were told to reapply to UNECOM using the AACOMAS primary, and that we would "most likely" be assured a spot. After completing the primary app, sometime in early September, we were sent letter saying that we had officially been accepted for the class of 2011 starting in August 2007. We didnt need to complete any secondaries or send in recs or anything further than the primary application. Granted, you are also able to apply to other schools at this time if you so choose, while being pretty much assured that you will get into UNECOM. I interviewed in January of 2006 and found out I was on the ASA in April. So for now, dont stress, enjoy your days, dont continually harass the mailman, and just go about your daily business. Good luck and hopefully we will see you this fall.

I hope that this helps those of you who are in the exact same position I was in last year. I actually got the ASA letter on April 7th of last year so many of you found out before I did. If you check out the class of 2010 page around pages 17-18, you will find a lot of talk about last years ASA list. Here is a linkhttp://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=232239&page=17 Hope that some of this helps.
-Rob

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'm an ASA anxiously waiting too :D Thanks so muich for all the updates...it definitely helps me wait more patiently. I hope we all get to get in!!!!

I've got a question for redwings or anyone with ASA experience,

I'm currently on ASA and as the prospects of moving to NYC are extremely not appealing to me/I can't justify NYCOM's tuition and living expenses when my heart is not really in it. I am seriously considering waiting and reapplying to UNECOM (I loved it there!) if not accepted of the list this year. I guess my question is when you reapplied with AACOMA did you use the same personal statemen? I know this may be jumping the gun...but if i need to rewrite it I better start now...hehe seeing as how half the reason my application wasn't submitted until November was the personal statement writing process. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody knows how many people got an acceptance after they were placed on the ASA list last year?

A LOT. Just hang tight until after May 15 when allo lists start moving -- then osteo lists will also move.

Hi fellow hopefuls,
I have Pm'd lots of people, gotten some info from admissions and read as many old posts as i could find, and this is my rough unscientific estimate of what happened last year:

There were about 15 people per quartile on the ASA list, so about 60 people total on the list. About 20 people from the ASA list were admitted. That means that all of the first quartile (15 people) were offered spots. Some people in the second quartile were offered spots, but not all. Someone who was in the second quartile, probably at the bottom, last year did not get in. This waitlist movement did not even begin to happen until early June and continued up until school began.

Obviously this is not fact, just my unscientific research, and things could be completely different this year, so take it with a grain of salt.

yes thank you shotwell!! I'm glad to see I am not the only person who is a little obsessed...

...my fingers are starting to hurt a little from keeping them crossed.

Chunk and feta-
I am rooting for you! Let me know (PM pr public) when you get your rank and I'll do the same.
-shotwell.

Well, completely unfactually based from my end (i.e. from talking with fellow students) and it seems almost half the class got in off the waitlist. HOWEVER: We did have two that I know of that deferred a year (they got off the waitlist the first week of classes for c/o 2009, deferred for acceptance for c/o 2010). From talking with about 30 of my classmates (again, totally random talking here), only about 10 of those 30 got in immediately after interview. The rest were waitlisted first and then got in.

So I don't know what to tell you. I stick by my educated guess from being a current MSI that about half got in off waitlist. Most people I spoke with when I asked the open ended "how many folks here do you think got in off the waitlist?" answered immediately "About half" with several stating "more than half".

I freely admit my random sample could be completely skewed; but 30 people is 1/4 of the class. All I can say is don't lose hope and hold tight.

i like the hope you provide here shyrem. thank you!!

Well I got my e-mail today telling me that I'm in the 2nd tier, at least it's not the 3rd or 4th, but that just means more uncertainty. Is there any hope for me? Also, do you know about how many people in general are on these waiting lists?

Well I got my e-mail today telling me that I'm in the 2nd tier, at least it's not the 3rd or 4th, but that just means more uncertainty. Is there any hope for me? Also, do you know about how many people in general are on these waiting lists?

i am also in 2nd tier Sunshine...just keeping my fingers crossed for now. Fairly certain I will not be attending NYCOM either way though. :oops:

Hello

I just got my email stating that I was in the second quartile (first 50%) of class.

But they also said that we have the option of asking for admission into the 2012 class and in most cases, but not all, a primary application without an interview will be all that is needed. Acceptances are not guarnteed but are highly likely.

So our ASA almost stands as an involuntary deferment plan...right.

Hello

I just got my email stating that I was in the second quartile (first 50%) of class.

But they also said that we have the option of asking for admission into the 2012 class and in most cases, but not all, a primary application without an interview will be all that is needed. Acceptances are not guarnteed but are highly likely.

So our ASA almost stands as an involuntary deferment plan...right.

that's what I gather...and am hoping, and am almost looking forward to another year of adventure if class of 2011 doesnt work out!

Finally got rejected from UMDNJ-SOM

guess you're not too broken up??...at least they took the time to reject you. I never even heard back from them, although i'm not sure i actually sent my LOR's there after i was accepted to NYCOM.

Any movement on the waitlist here. From what I gather here, May 15th is just the deadline for MD schools but DO schools don't have a definitive deadline-but do have large deposits instead. I hope something happens in the next few weeks.

I also wonder, how many people are on the waitlist. It is helpful to know that which makes your percent ranking worthwhile. If your 50% on a 30 person waitlist, you have pretty good chances compared to a 75 person waitlist.

I am also on the second tier....lets hope that darn list starts to move....also, I feel as if no one is in the first tier having read the posts, or no one on the first tier is on the SDN (might explain something :smuggrin: )...who know

Finally it is May 15th. Let the games begin. :D

Hi All,

My wife was accepted to UMass yesterday. She has accepted there and will be withdrawing from UNECOM shortly. I figured that I would pass this on to those of you on the dreaded wait list. I know how painful it is. Good luck!

Hi All,

My wife was accepted to UMass yesterday. She has accepted there and will be withdrawing from UNECOM shortly. I figured that I would pass this on to those of you on the dreaded wait list. I know how painful it is. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. and best of luck to her.

NOTE: This info. is what I got from UNECOM on the phone and you should contact them yourself before choosing to make a life-altering decision here.

I talked with UNECOM today and was told the following:
a. There has been minimal movement on the waitlist (between 3-7 people since March 31st)
b. The ASA waitlist has about 70 people
c. The alternate has about 40-50
d. The percent ranking is based on the ASA+alternate so if you were told top 50%, it means you are in the first 50% of about 120 waiters
e. If a spot opens up, ASA people get priority.

Don't forget, that you can state that you want to be in the 2008 class if a spot does not open up in the 2007 class, and this DOES NOT remove you from the waitlist in case a spot opens up in the 2007 class. You need to fill out the AACOMAS app. simply because it is a technical requirment for the school to include you as an applicant. (adding some info. might be helpful here if you have not sent in a update letter of your latest activities but there is no need for a brand new personal statement)

Hello

I was one who was waitlisted at UNECOM for the fall 2007 class but I was never pulled - since classes have now started.

Is anyone else in the same situation? I know the adcom is supposed to meet on us soon and make a decision on our app. Has anyone got any further updates from them?

Thanks