This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rosebud13563

Reaction score
Hello there,
The reason I titled this as an unique case of premed is because I am not the average undergrad and I haven’t seen posts about my situation.

I graduated High school this past May with my AA degree from Broward College in Florida. My college GPA is currently 3.93.

I wanted to stay in-state for undergrad so I applied to the University of Florida and I’m going to attend in the fall as a transfer student in the biology major.

I haven’t done any extracurricular activities for my med school application due to a family situation. However, when I get to the University I will be able to do as much as I would want. UF has a lot of research opportunities so I will take full advantage of that.

The thing that concerns me is that since my time in undergrad is already half way over, would two years really be enough time to get a competitive amount of extracurricular and research activities for my med school application?

I feel like it isn’t but two years is all I need now for my undergrad if I go full time.

Would the individuals that are reviewing my application take into account (or even notice) that my first two years were done is high school? And see that my two years at the university I took full advantage of it by doing a lot of research and extracurricular activities? Or would they see that I do not have enough hours in whatever it is they are looking for and therefore be uneasy about my application?

If this is a major issue, and not just me over thinking, another option is to go part-time in my undergraduate studies and go heavily on research, shadowing, volunteering, etc....
That way I will have 3 years to complete all the extracurricular requirements vs the 2 years.

However I feel like med schools would look at it the wrong way. They might see it as a person who can’t manage a heavy workload and decided to go part-time. This is something I don’t want them to assume.

Another solution is to continue full time for the 2 years that are left and add one more year going for my masters. This way I can still have the three years of extracurricular activities I was planning if I go part time, but instead go full time plus a higher degree.

Sorry for the long post but I appreciate any advice from you guys.

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The thing that concerns me is that since my time in undergrad is already half way over, would two years really be enough time to get a competitive amount of extracurricular and research activities for my med school application?

I feel like it isn’t but two years is all I need now for my undergrad if I go full time.
You could do it in two years by absolutely working your butt off, but what's the rush? It's becoming more and more common for applicants to take one or more gap years, and there's absolutely no reason you need to charge straight through school with no break. You're young and you have lots of energy now, but you still need to pace yourself appropriately to avoid burnout. Focus on getting good grades while working on ECs, do what it takes to kill the MCAT, and don't fret if you need an extra year or two after graduation to get your ECs on par with your competitors'.

Would the individuals that are reviewing my application take into account (or even notice) that my first two years were done is high school? And see that my two years at the university I took full advantage of it by doing a lot of research and extracurricular activities? Or would they see that I do not have enough hours in whatever it is they are looking for and therefore be uneasy about my application?
We won't care that you did the first two years of undergrad concurrently with high school. You don't get special consideration for shooting yourself in the foot.

If this is a major issue, and not just me over thinking, another option is to go part-time in my undergraduate studies and go heavily on research, shadowing, volunteering, etc....
That way I will have 3 years to complete all the extracurricular requirements vs the 2 years.

However I feel like med schools would look at it the wrong way. They might see it as a person who can’t manage a heavy workload and decided to go part-time. This is something I don’t want them to assume.
We'll only assume that if you take a light course load and waste the rest of your time being unproductive. (I was originally going to say "waste the rest of your time playing Call of Duty and eating Cheetos," but then I realized that Call of Duty is productive and those damn Cheetos ain't gonna eat themselves.) If you fill the hours with productive ECs, no one shall bat an eye. But again, there's something to be said for graduating and then getting some real-world work experience for a year or two while working on your ECs. At the very least, that course of action would provide valuable life experiences and opportunities for growth and maturation.

Another solution is to continue full time for the 2 years that are left and add one more year going for my masters. This way I can still have the three years of extracurricular activities I was planning if I go part time, but instead go full time plus a higher degree.
Only get a master's degree if it's something you can leverage into a career if med school shouldn't work out. A master's degree is very unlikely to sway an admissions decision your way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations on your foresight! And no - you're not over-thinking it. In addition to not having enough time, you will also just plain be younger, and for medical school and practice, maturity is a plus. Also, if you're wanting to apply for admission right after college, that would leave you only one year for activities prior to submitting your application which is NOT enough time to accumulate the activities you'll need to be a competitive candidate. Plus, you need to graduate with a strong GPA, and a lighter class schedule will make that easier to accomplish.

-------------------

Just read @HomeSkool 's post above, and while our literal answers are different, the rationale and theory seems to be the same, which is -- you will not be ready for med school in only two more years. He says graduate in two and spend the next 1-2 working in the real world; I say graduate in three years and then... We both agree that you won't be ready to apply in one more year, so whether you spend the extra time in school or elsewhere, plan on taking it and not rushing to med school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't get special consideration for shooting yourself in the foot.
L.O.freakingL.

We'll only assume that if you take a light course load and waste the rest of your time being unproductive. (I was originally going to say "waste the rest of your time playing Call of Duty and eating Cheetos," but then I realized that Call of Duty is productive and those damn Cheetos ain't gonna eat themselves.)
All of this response has been excellent.

To OP, I would say have a gap year (or two) plan in mind and either choose to apply after your graduation ("senior year") or after a gap year. Congrats on the degree but honestly, not sure it is helping you get where you are going any faster or at lower cost. Perhaps a different major would be of benefit?

Reactions: 1 user
L.O.freakingL.

All of this response has been excellent.

To OP, I would say have a gap year (or two) plan in mind and either choose to apply after your graduation ("senior year") or after a gap year. Congrats on the degree but honestly, not sure it is helping you get where you are going any faster or at lower cost. Perhaps a different major would be of benefit?

The two years of college is very useful financially which was the main part of doing it and also I wanted a more rigorous schedule. I’m interested on your thought process on a different major.

Hello there,
The reason I titled this as an unique case of premed is because I am not the average undergrad and I haven’t seen posts about my situation.

I graduated High school this past May with my AA degree from Broward College in Florida. My college GPA is currently 3.93.

I wanted to stay in-state for undergrad so I applied to the University of Florida and I’m going to attended in the fall as a transfer student in the biology major.

I haven’t done any extracurricular activities for my med school application due to a family situation. However, when I get to the University I will be able to do as much as I would want. UF has a lot of research opportunities so I will take full advantage of that.

Sorry for the long post but I appreciate any advice from you guys.

Thanks a bunch!

Are you interested in research or do you just see it as a step to medical school?

Reactions: 1 users
The two years of college is very useful financially which was the main part of doing it and also I wanted a more rigorous schedule. I’m interested on your thought process on a different major.
My thought is it might stretch your degree to 3 years. You will likely still have a decent number of gen eds but maybe some of the next sequence of classes will be different than the course you are on at the moment. That may stretch your education to 3 years full time, giving you more time to work on ECs and such. I still think a full 4 years is best for maturity prior to med school though.

You could do it in two years by absolutely working your butt off, but what's the rush? It's becoming more and more common for applicants to take one or more gap years, and there's absolutely no reason you need to charge straight through school with no break. You're young and you have lots of energy now, but you still need to pace yourself appropriately to avoid burnout. Focus on getting good grades while working on ECs, do what it takes to kill the MCAT, and don't fret if you need an extra year or two after graduation to get your ECs on par with your competitors'.

Hello
First, thank you for replying. I appreciate it. I hear a lot about gap years and I feel like if I did it correctly it can be an advantage. So I will look into that.

We won't care that you did the first two years of undergrad concomitant with high school. You don't get special consideration for shooting yourself in the foot.

Lol I understand. However I thought maybe they could see that the first two years of my college career was in high school so I had limited opportunities and family restraints. It wasn’t like I spent two years at a university doing nothing for my application. I wasn’t referring to my academic side or my courseload.

We'll only assume that if you take a light course load and waste the rest of your time being unproductive. (I was originally going to say "waste the rest of your time playing Call of Duty and eating Cheetos," but then I realized that Call of Duty is productive and those damn Cheetos ain't gonna eat themselves.) If you fill the hours with productive ECs, no one shall bat an eye. But again, there's something to be said for graduating and then getting some real-world work experience for a year or two while working on your ECs. At the very least, that course of action would provide valuable life experiences and opportunities for growth and maturation.

Yes, going part time would be only for going heavily on ECs and the plus side it would give me the opportunity to make sure I get an A in all of the courses I have left since it wouldn’t be a full courseload like many people have. I also do feel like it would make my college years more enjoyable because I feel like I need a little relaxation after the 16+ Credits college semesters in high school. I really am just worried that med schools would see this as lazy or unable to perform well with a heavy courseload at a university level. However I would be very involved in ECs and also a lot of research since my university offers a lot of opportunities in undergrad research. Which is why if I do the 3 years at a part time pace I can take full advantage of my opportunities at the university where as if I graduate after 2 years of full time I won’t have any of their resources. There is always the possibility of not finding a job after graduation or finding one that’s not related to science. At the university I will always have the options and the resources I need.

Only get a master's degree if it's something you can leverage into a career if med school shouldn't work out. A master's degree is very unlikely to sway an admissions decision your way.

I don’t see it as a way to sway my application decision with an extra degree to wave around. I see it as a way to stall. Having the 2 years of undergrad full time plus the year getting my masters would not only give me extra time to complete my ECs, but more time with the University’s resources, learning more about my major and having a solid foundation in science before med school. Also at the end, I’m getting another degree out of it.

Last edited:
Are you interested in research or do you just see it as a step to medical school?

If you’re talking about obtaining a master degree I see it as a way to stall before med school. As a way to take some time and mature before applying. It will also give me enough time to complete all more extracurricular activities and with the resources of my university’s research opportunities

Congratulations on your foresight! And no - you're not over-thinking it. In addition to not having enough time, you will also just plain be younger, and for medical school and practice, maturity is a plus. Also, if you're wanting to apply for admission right after college, that would leave you only one year for activities prior to submitting your application which is NOT enough time to accumulate the activities you'll need to be a competitive candidate. Plus, you need to graduate with a strong GPA, and a lighter class schedule will make that easier to accomplish.

Thank you for the validation of not over thinking this! I do feel like I do that sometimes but I honestly like to have a plan especially when it comes to my academics. I wouldn’t apply after one year, I would wait till my full two years are up THEN apply. I know one year is definitely not enough. However is being young really that big of a problem? I know there’s always the argument that the person isn’t mature enough but doesn’t it also show determination? And a strong work ethic?

I would love a break from the 16+ credits college semesters I used to take in high school. When I get to the University in the fall I might go part time and go heavily in extracurriculars and research. I just hope my light courseload won’t come across as lazy or not being able to handle it.

My thought is it might stretch your degree to 3 years. You will likely still have a decent number of gen eds but maybe some of the next sequence of classes will be different than the course you are on at the moment. That may stretch your education to 3 years full time, giving you more time to work on ECs and such. I still think a full 4 years is best for maturity prior to med school though.

I see what you mean here. But honestly I do not think I would be happy in another major. I really like biology and if I am not interested in my major than personally I don’t see why I should do it. There is always the option of adding a minor or doing a double major. (Something in science). I would look more into that.

We'll only assume that if you take a light course load and waste the rest of your time being unproductive. (I was originally going to say "waste the rest of your time playing Call of Duty and eating Cheetos," but then I realized that Call of Duty is productive and those damn Cheetos ain't gonna eat themselves.)
This man is a genius!

Reactions: 4 users
If you’re talking about obtaining a master degree I see it as a way to stall before med school. As a way to take some time and mature before applying. It will also give me enough time to complete all more extracurricular activities and with the resources of my university’s research opportunities

My point is that you don't need research to be competitive for medical school, so if you're doing it just to check a box then you're actually stealing time from your other, more necessary ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
My point is that you don't need research to be competitive for medical school, so if you're doing it just to check a box then you're actually stealing time from your other, more necessary ECs.

Thank you for your advice. Now I see what you were asking on your previous post. I am actually interested in research. I’ve looked into what my university offers and some seem pretty cool. Some are actually paid positions which would be a big help. Not to mention I could get letters of recommendation out of it. I really don’t see it as something I need to do because it would look good for med schools.

I have a friend who graduated college in 2 years with a 4.0 and scored a 521 on the MCAT. They're applying this cycle and taking a "gap" year to scribe. I'm sure they'll get plenty of offers, but I do think that this is pretty rare and not everyone can pull this off succesfully. The plan works though and you could try it if you wanted.

Thank you for the validation of not over thinking this! I do feel like I do that sometimes but I honestly like to have a plan especially when it comes to my academics. I wouldn’t apply after one year, I would wait till my full two years are up THEN apply. I know one year is definitely not enough. However is being young really that big of a problem? I know there’s always the argument that the person isn’t mature enough but doesn’t it also show determination? And a strong work ethic?

I would love a break from the 16+ credits college semesters I used to take in high school. When I get to the University in the fall I might go part time and go heavily in extracurriculars and research. I just hope my light courseload won’t come across as lazy or not being able to handle it.

Being too young is a huge problem. Here's what I would recommend... go to school, get your degree. Take advantage of everything the school has to offer with respect to research and shadowing. Also get some volunteering with a marginalized population in need of assistance; ideally, this should be non-clinical volunteering.

Fast forward to June 2020. Proudly waive your college degree and figure that having saved two years of your life by finishing 2 years of college before finishing HS, you now have one year to buff your application and take the MCAT and then a year to continue working/volunteering/etc while you complete the application/interview process. You'll still get to med school with your age-matched peer group but you will have had life experiences greater than those who went straight through the traditional way.

For buffing the application, you may get a job as a researcher or as a tutor or in a clinical setting as an EMT or scribe. You might decide to do a full-time volunteer service thing where you are paid a modest stipend and live in a community setting (City Year, Jesuit Volunteer Corps, etc). The point is, find something engaging that is full-time and keep your other activities on the side.

About a light load:
Taking a light load is a problem. If you can't handle full-time college, there are plenty of people trying to get into medical school who will have done so and you will be in direct competition with them. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by taking a light load. Don't be overly protective of the GPA... if your total GPA falls to 3.85, you'll still be okay.

About a light load:
Taking a light load is a problem. If you can't handle full-time college, there are plenty of people trying to get into medical school who will have done so and you will be in direct competition with them. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by taking a light load. Don't be overly protective of the GPA... if your total GPA falls to 3.85, you'll still be okay.

What's your opinion on a "light load"? Obviously anything that qualifies as part time is too light, but would 12 hours/semester be too light? 15?

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I’ve been pondering this for a while now and I am still confused as ever. Everyone gives great, but different, advice. One way that I thought I should do is go to school part time (7-8 credits) and fill my life with extracurricular activities. I am thinking research, leadership at a club, volunteering, shadowing, etc... and I don’t mean just a few hours a week. I mean very heavily. But as I said before, I am worried they might not take extracurricular activities into account when they look at me doing part time and figure I can not handle med school. Some people say this with happen and some people say not to worry about it. I will put more thought into it. Maybe take a year to get some life experience...but isn’t all those extracurricular activities significant life experience?

I hear of people going to med school at 19 or 20. While I be 20 when applying, I would start as a 21 year old. It’s been done before. And if I have the grades and ECs to back me up then I think I should give it a shot.

Take some heavier loads at the university level. They want you to prove you can handle a heavy course load (especially upper level sciences) because that is what med school is.

What's your opinion on a "light load"? Obviously anything that qualifies as part time is too light, but would 12 hours/semester be too light? 15?

At least 4 courses... I guess that would be a minimum of 12, it could be more if some of the courses are 4 credits rather than 3.
Research for credit is always a way to kill two birds with one stone (research and credit).

I have a friend who graduated college in 2 years with a 4.0 and scored a 521 on the MCAT. They're applying this cycle and taking a "gap" year to scribe. I'm sure they'll get plenty of offers, but I do think that this is pretty rare and not everyone can pull this off succesfully. The plan works though and you could try it if you wanted.

Thank you for your input. I think it takes a lot of planning to pull it off. This is what I’m trying to do.

Take some heavier loads at the university level. They want you to prove you can handle a heavy course load (especially upper level sciences) because that is what med school is.

Yes, you are right. They would need to see that I can handle heavy science. Even thought this past semester I took
Bio 2
+ Lab
Chem 2
+ Lab
Humanities course
Calculus 1
and past with straight A’s would this show that I can handle it? Of course this is at the junior college level and not at the university level. Taking upper level science courses would show I can handle University courses, but would a lighter course load bring me down? This past semester was a heavy course load and I did well. So could this prove that I can handle it?

Maybe take a year to get some life experience...but isn’t all those extracurricular activities significant life experience?

I hear of people going to med school at 19 or 20. While I be 20 when applying, I would start as a 21 year old. It’s been done before. And if I have the grades and ECs to back me up then I think I should give it a shot.

Extracurriculars are just the slightest bit of life experience.

There are people who go to med school very young but there are as many, or more, who don't get in because they don't come off well in an interview.

You are going to be completing for a spot with people who have taken 17 credits per semester while working 20 hours/wk on campus, doing 15 hours/wk of research, and volunteering every other Sunday in the children's hospital. You are going to be completing with the Army veteran who did two tours of duty as a medic in a war zone. You are going to be competing with applicants who took two years off and joined the Peace Corps or taught in an inner-city school, or worked on Capital Hill. You will be completing with varsity athletes, talented musicians, college journalists, and thousands of exceptional applicants.

Don't rush this. Do it right and you'll only have to do it once. Apply too soon and you will have to do it all over again.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you are right. They would need to see that I can handle heavy science. Even thought this past semester I took
Bio 2
+ Lab
Chem 2
+ Lab
Humanities course
Calculus 1
and past with straight A’s would this show that I can handle it? Of course this is at the junior college level and not at the university level. Taking upper level science courses would show I can handle University courses, but would a lighter course load bring me down? This past semester was a heavy course load and I did well. So could this prove that I can handle it?

Community College is not the same as University. You need to prove you have the same success in the University as at the CC level. Don't take a lesser load -- it doesn't prove you have what it takes to come out on top in a head-to-head competition with the other pre-meds who are taking a heavy load for all 4 years at a university level.

Community College is not the same as University. You need to prove you have the same success in the University as at the CC level. Don't take a lesser load -- it doesn't prove you have what it takes to come out on top in a head-to-head competition with the other pre-meds who are taking a heavy load for all 4 years at a university level.

Okay. I see what you mean. I have been hearing that a lot and I will stick to full time (12 credits). I really wanted to get so involved with school and ECs but doing that might hurt me in the long run if I do part time schooling as a result of it. I appreciate all your advice. Thank you.

Some extracurriculars are significant life experience, most aren’t. LizzyM highlighted that well.

Okay. I see what you mean. I have been hearing that a lot and I will stick to full time (12 credits). I really wanted to get so involved with school and ECs but doing that might hurt me in the long run if I do part time schooling as a result of it. I appreciate all your advice. Thank you.

I have seen many a premed aspiration crash and burn in the ditch of excess ambition. You need to challenge yourself, to be sure, but trying to get everything done too quickly is a recipe for trouble. Regardless of your prior success, starting in a new environment will carry with it a host of unknowns. Focus on your studies foremost and add on the extras as you learn and adapt. Ultimately it's far easier to "fix" EC's than it is to repair a substandard academic record.

Focus on your studies foremost and add on the extras as you learn and adapt. Ultimately it's far easier to "fix" EC's than it is to repair a substandard academic record.

Yes. I agree. What comes first is school and I’ll find a way to fit everything around it. Thank you

As someone who was in a program similar to yours in which High School seniors graduated with their AA, most of my fellow pre-meds simply supplemented this with an additional bachelor's. I dont know how economically feasible this is for you, but perhaps take on another degree in something that interests you such as literature or sociology. This will allow you to graduate in 4 years, explore classes outside the usual bio curriculum, and give you an opportunity to balance out the rigorous science courses in less rigorous, entertaining topics.

As someone who was in a program similar to yours in which High School seniors graduated with their AA, most of my fellow pre-meds simply supplemented this with an additional bachelor's. I dont know how economically feasible this is for you, but perhaps take on another degree in something that interests you such as literature or sociology. This will allow you to graduate in 4 years, explore classes outside the usual bio curriculum, and give you an opportunity to balance out the rigorous science courses in less rigorous, entertaining topics.

Do you mean a double major? Or to graduate and then take on another degree program?

Thank you for your input. I think it takes a lot of planning to pull it off. This is what I’m trying to do.

My perception is (doubt it's only mine) that with accelerated applicants, there often (invariably?) seems to be an element of "Whee! Look at me - I'm a whiz kid!" where getting into medical school at a really young age is another achievement notch in a pretty big collection. There seems to be this really persistent belief that getting there sooner is much more impressive than just getting there at the same time as "everyone else". (Everyone else doesn't get there at all!) Demonstrated intellectual brilliance is only one of the factors needed to get admitted and succeed in medical school, and I'd go so far as to suggest that it's not even the most important factor. Persistence and determination (as you note) are also important, but again, not enough. There's a huge degree of human intelligence and life experience - street smarts - that are needed, along with empathy, compassion, common sense, the right balance of idealism and pragmatism, a blend of confidence and humility, resilience and deep-rooted emotional stability.

Not that it will matter in the slightest what I say, but OP -- DON'T RUSH IT! At 18, there are still so many life lessons you have left to learn. Go off and learn them over the next 3-4 years and focus on enriching your life experience as much as you possibly can before you try to jump into the pressure cooker. You've indicated you are already semi-burned out academically -- Give yourself a chance to fully recharge doing something else entirely. Choose to take the longer road.

Reactions: 1 users
My perception is (doubt it's only mine) that with accelerated applicants, there often (invariably?) seems to be an element of "Whee! Look at me - I'm a whiz kid!" where getting into medical school at a really young age is another achievement notch in a pretty big collection. There seems to be this really persistent belief that getting there sooner is much more impressive than just getting there at the same time as "everyone else". (Everyone else doesn't get there at all!) Demonstrated intellectual brilliance is only one of the factors needed to get admitted and succeed in medical school, and I'd go so far as to suggest that it's not even the most important factor. Persistence and determination (as you note) are also important, but again, not enough. There's a huge degree of human intelligence and life experience - street smarts - that are needed, along with empathy, compassion, common sense, the right balance of idealism and pragmatism, a blend of confidence and humility, resilience and deep-rooted emotional stability.

Not that it will matter in the slightest what I say, but OP -- DON'T RUSH IT! At 18, there are still so many life lessons you have left to learn. Go off and learn them over the next 3-4 years and focus on enriching your life experience as much as you possibly can before you try to jump into the pressure cooker. You've indicated you are already semi-burned out academically -- Give yourself a chance to fully recharge doing something else entirely. Choose to take the longer road.

Okay, thank you for your words.