Univ of Illinois at Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jifi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are peoples take on this school...other than having a huge class and kinda pricey for out of state residents??

Members don't see this ad.

could you be a little more specific? :D what exactly do you want to know?

are the people there cool, hows the curriculum? what percentage of graduates get top residencies? The little that i do know is that they have a excellent diversity and that means a lot but im worried about the huge classes...

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally did not like the school because of the interview experience that I had. On the interview day, the students who were giving us tours and answering our questions had more bad things to say than good (first two years of curriculum is awful, people never go to class, etc)...plus I did not like that I would never get in-state residency for tuition. But, I have heard many other people say how much they love the school, so perhaps I just caught them on a bad day...

well, i don't actually attend UIC, but i may next fall, so i can't tell you what the atmosphere is like. i'm curious about this myself. i've heard opinions from students that span opposite ends of the spectrum--some love it there, some explicitly warn applicants not to attend it's so horrible--so i don't know what to believe. you can find match lists online if you're curious how M4's match (pretty well, if you ask me), and about your concern about large classes....well, i've heard that virtually no one goes to lecture anyway, so the resulting 'class' isn't very large at all. :D

Thanks,

that?s what I have been hearing in interviewfeedback as well, im currently trying to schedule an interview but the office doesn?t seen too accommodating...im coming from California and prefer Monday dates and the Chicago campus ....does any one know how one selects the campus they want to attend once you get in?

Hey what's up Jifi. The out-of-state price tag on UIC is a mind-boggling $41,808! I don't know if they have good financial aid though.

once you get in, they send you a letter asking you to rank how you you want to be placed at the campuses. They'll put you at your highest choice that still has slots open.

Sup jmejia1,

are you interviewing there too? yeah for some reason I didnt find the website too helpful also

just a warning: i've heard that the chicago campus is totally full, or very very near to be closed out. so you may only have downstate options left.

Here's my take on UIC - I'm an undergrad there, but am pretty familiar with the med school, so take it for what it's worth:

If you're in-state, you can't beat the price. There's some really great research going on there, so if you're into that sort of thing it's the place to be. The UIC hospital is fantastic - lots to see, lots to do. If you are an Illinois resident and cannot get into U of C or NU, it's hard to beat it as far as the price/quality ratio goes.

If you're out-of-state, however, it won't be much different than your state med school. Since it's publicly funded, there are MILES of red tape to deal with, even for very simple matters (best of luck if you are having problems with your loans...).

I recently interviewed at Rush and was much more impressed with them than I was with UIC. The students seem much happier and the facilities seem much nicer. If you're an out of stater, I would recommend Rush over UIC.

Also keep in mind that UIC will be increasing tuition by a LOT next year because of the financial problems in Illinois this past year. Undergrad is going up something like 10% (!!!), but I'm not sure about the med/grad programs.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sandflea:
•just a warning: i've heard that the chicago campus is totally full, or very very near to be closed out. so you may only have downstate options left.•••••I have a telephone meeting with the dean of admissions next week, so I'll ask about this. Usually the campus is filled by January, so assuming that everything is still about 4 weeks behind schedule, I would not be surprised if the Chicago campus is indeed closed.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by rxfudd:

I recently interviewed at Rush and was much more impressed with them than I was with UIC. The students seem much happier and the facilities seem much nicer. If you're an out of stater, I would recommend Rush over UIC.

[Tuition] is going up something like 10% (!!!), but I'm not sure about the med/grad programs.•••••you know, i'm an in-stater and i don't think i would go to UIC over rush. the cheaper tuition is definitely tempting, but rush seems to have its act together a lot better than UIC does. it's too early to make a final decision but i'm too concerned about the things i hear about UIC for the cheaper tuition to be worth it.

for the record, i know that graduate school tuition is definitely increasing next year, so i would assume that med school tuition is increasing also.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sandflea:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by rxfudd:

[Tuition] is going up something like 10% (!!!), but I'm not sure about the med/grad programs.•••••you know, i'm an in-stater and i don't think i would go to UIC over rush. the cheaper tuition is definitely tempting, but rush seems to have its act together a lot better than UIC does. it's too early to make a final decision but i'm too concerned about the things i hear about UIC for the cheaper tuition to be worth it.

for the record, i know that graduate school tuition is definitely increasing next year, so i would assume that med school tuition is increasing also.•••••Point taken - I, too, would take Rush over UIC, even being in-state. I am all to familiar with UIC's short-comings. If, however, it was the only school that I got into, it's not too shabby as an only choice. I would hesitate to call it a 1st choice, though.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rxfudd:
•••••Point taken - I, too, would take Rush over UIC, even being in-state. I am all to familiar with UIC's short-comings. If, however, it was the only school that I got into, it's not too shabby as an only choice. I would hesitate to call it a 1st choice, though.•[/QUOTE]

have you heard from UIC yet? i remember that they had not given you a final decision yet.

i know a lot of people at rush because my significant other is an M2 there, and everyone simply *raves* about it. quite a few people i know there turned UIC down to go to rush, because the atmosphere is so supportive. UIC is better-known and cheaper, but the differences from rush aren't overly dramatic, not enough to definitely sway me towards UIC. but again, it's too early to make any kind of decision, especially since i haven't gotten into rush yet! :D

Thanks for the input....guess I shouldnt pass up an interview until I at least get in somewhere but its hella expensive to fly out to chicago and then possibly drive to peroria ect...med school is med school eh

when i said the chicago campus was full, i meant with it was full of students who will be attending there next fall. there are no spots left (or very few) for new acceptees. but you can still interview there--where you interview has no bearing on where you ultimately attend.

you would honestly pick rush over uic? i was not impressed there when i interviewed. having been accepted at both schools i choose uic over rush.

The students at UIC just don't seem very happy to me. They ALL had lots to complain about, from the professors to the administration. I got the exact opposite at Rush.

I do have to take their complaints with a grain of salt, though. I hear these same complaints from the undergrads every single day and completely disagree with them (I think UIC has a great undergrad program).

I just interviewed at UIC on Jan 8th and I got in two weeks later and I got the chicago campus.

i feel the rush students are psychologically bound to giving a rosy picture of what they have chosen as the pricetag of the education they are getting is 10.000 more a year. it is as much a classical response as u of i feeling like they have the right to complain simply because they arent paying what others are.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by vanhorn:
[QB]i feel the rush students are psychologically bound to giving a rosy picture of what they have chosen as the pricetag of the education they are getting is 10.000 more a year.[QB]••••nah, i don't buy this theory, considering there are plenty of students at plenty of pricey private schools who don't rave about their experiences the way rush students do. rush is also quite generous with institutional financial aid so the amount of actual loans that one receives may actually not be too different from what UIC hands out.

i don't understand what the point of your post was.

well, my post was a feeble attempt at trying to understand those of the opinion that rush is an overall superior school to uic. it is hard for me to understand as i dont see it that way for any applicant. just my 2 cents.

Hey all;

Does anyone know anything about UIC at Rockford? I know several impressive doctors who graduated from there.

QHamp