University of Arizona c/o 2024?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why are you declining your interview invite?
I got into my instate! So I’ll be going there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I’ve been doing some research on MMI and for some (at least for medical school examples) people have been given a “task” to perform. For one I saw they had to build something using origami. This makes me so nervous because I know for sure I wouldn’t be able to do that . In vet med MMIs, are they usually traditional case scenarios or are tasks common? I’ve never had an MMI interview before so I’m trying to prepare myself!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

So I’ve been doing some research on MMI and for some (at least for medical school examples) people have been given a “task” to perform. For one I saw they had to build something using origami. This makes me so nervous because I know for sure I wouldn’t be able to do that . In vet med MMIs, are they usually traditional case scenarios or are tasks common? I’ve never had an MMI interview before so I’m trying to prepare myself!

I’ve had two MMI Interviews. Every thing I’ve ever heard is answering questions to specific scenarios

Members don't see this ad :)

I've also done MMI interviews. They have specific scenarios, not really a task. You discuss how you take action/react in a certain scenario for each station. You also only have a limited amount of time, which depends on the school.

I've also done MMI interviews. They have specific scenarios, not really a task. You discuss how you take action/react in a certain scenario for each station. You also only have a limited amount of time, which depends on the school.

Ive actually never been given the task and scenario questions yet, so I’m nervous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive actually never been given the task and scenario questions yet, so I’m nervous!

I was really stressed before my first one, but once I started I totally forgot about my nerves!! They really aren't that bad at all.

I've gone through the UA medical school's MMIs before and did not have to do any "tasks" in that sense but there were several acting scenarios in which they gauge your response/humanity. UACOM train other universities on how to conduct MMIs and are considered the gold-standard. The CVM said the medical school team will be helping, so I'd assume it will be the same layout.

Who else picked Saturday for their interview date?
emoji1327.png
‍♀

[/
I interview on Saturday as well!

I've gone through the UA medical school's MMIs before and did not have to do any "tasks" in that sense but there were several acting scenarios in which they gauge your response/humanity. UACOM train other universities on how to conduct MMIs and are considered the gold-standard. The CVM said the medical school team will be helping, so I'd assume it will be the same layout.

Okay gotcha. Yeah when I looked up examples online I saw some of the acting scenarios and they didn’t seem so bad.

They won't care if you can actually build origami (or whatever weird task they give you). They will care how you respond to the task.

Are you enthusiastic? Can you follow instructions? If there aren't any instructions, how do you go about problem solving? Do you get frustrated or stay calm? Do you ask for help if appropriate? Do you keep trying to improve yourself if time allows? Etc.

They're looking for things like personality traits, reasoning skills, teamwork, etc. Not whether you can make an origami crane is 6 minutes or less. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey did anyone else not receive an email at all? Do we know if they are sending rejections yet?

Congrats to all of you who got an invite!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey did anyone else not receive an email at all? Do we know if they are sending rejections yet?

Congrats to all of you who got an invite!!

They gave us a deadline to register for an interview. My guess would be after that deadline is passed they will send our invites based on the number that did not register.

Reactions: 1 users
So looking at tuition prices, it says $69,999 a year prospectively. That would then be counted for only 3 years, and come out to about $210,000 in tuition for all 3 years. Just checking to make sure that that is everyone else's understanding as well?

Also, does anyone know the likelihood of this changing in any way?

So looking at tuition prices, it says $69,999 a year prospectively. That would then be counted for only 3 years, and come out to about $210,000 in tuition for all 3 years. Just checking to make sure that that is everyone else's understanding as well?

Unless they have changed anything since I went there for undergrad, $70,000 includes their prospective cost for room and board, books, etc. Which schools always way overshoot. There's no reason you should expect to actually pay even close to that amount if you live below (or even at) your means. But yes, that is for three years.

For OOS, yes that’s correct. Make sure you understand this is for tuition not full COA. Also, I went to UA for undergrad and still mentor students. Tuition has gone up every year, so do not count on the regents being nice.

Unless they have changed anything since I went there for undergrad, $70,000 includes their prospective cost for room and board, books, etc. Which schools always way overshoot. There's no reason you should expect to actually pay even close to that amount if you live below (or even at) your means. But yes, that is for three years.

I kinda wish they have that broken down a little so i could see the expected rent and other costs just so i had more of an idea!
Kinda pumped for the interview though! I found a video of the HSIB in Tucson, and boy is it gorgeous!!!

I kinda wish they have that broken down a little so i could see the expected rent and other costs just so i had more of an idea!
Kinda pumped for the interview though! I found a video of the HSIB in Tucson, and boy is it gorgeous!!!

It specifically says in the FAQ that tuition prices exclude CVM and other university fees. Its probably safe to assume they mean only tuition, not full CoA, but they definitely need to clarify.

It specifically says in the FAQ that tuition prices exclude CVM and other university fees. Its probably safe to assume they mean only tuition, not full CoA, but they definitely need to clarify.

$70,000 a year sounds typical for a vet school tuition, so it would be hard to imagine it includes rent and board

To those of you still waiting.... do not give up hope. This entire application process is a game of crapshoot. If one school rejects you, you might be another schools top choice. I haven’t received anything from Arizona (meaning I’ll hear later for a possible interview or I might be rejected all together) yet I got into Ohio! Seriously, if you haven’t heard anything, that doesn’t mean you’re not meant to be a veterinarian. That just means you aren’t going to become a veterinarian from that school :) We all got this!!!

Last edited:
$70,000 a year sounds typical for a vet school tuition, so it would be hard to imagine it includes rent and board

This is not typical for tuition alone. I am offered 72k/year for my COA. My tuition at a middle of the road school is 53k-ish.

This is not typical for tuition alone. I am offered 72k/year for my COA. My tuition at a middle of the road school is 53k-ish.

Most of my schools ranged between $50-70k. And you’re not accounting for the facts it’s three semesters at UofA that you’re paying for, not two like in every other school. The total tuition for OOS is around $210,000 which is lower than other schools I applied to

Edit: grammar

Most of my schools ranged between $50-70k. And you’re not accounting for the facts it’s three semesters at UofA that you’re paying for, not two like in every other school

I wasnt trying to account for anything. I was point out that 70k/year is not typical for vet school tuition. The median actually falls at 53,500. Of the 5 schools that cost 60k+/year, 1 is a private school, 3 allow you to change to in state tuition, and then the last one is Penn at 61k.

This is tuition for three semesters. Each semester is $23,333 which is pretty typical. So when that’s factored in and it’s for three years instead of four, it’s a pretty typical cost for an OOS school.

edit: just saw your follow up right after I posted this. Yes it’s important to distinguish that $70,000 a year isn’t typical tuition for a year of vet school. It’s only more in line when you factor in the difference in curriculum.

Reactions: 3 users
This is tuition for three semesters. Each semester is $23,333 which is pretty typical. So when that’s factored in and it’s for three years instead of four, it’s a pretty typical cost for an OOS school.

Ooooooh my dog. My reading comprehension is obviously slackalacking. Lol

My bad @mellyminiangel. I promise I know how to read!!

Reactions: 3 users
Most of my schools ranged between $50-70k. And you’re not accounting for the facts it’s three semesters at UofA that you’re paying for, not two like in every other school. The total tuition for OOS is around $210,000 which is lower than other schools I applied to

Edit: grammar

Exactly, if you pay 210k for 3 yrs and get the same amount of semesters as 4 yrs for 210k it’s actually cheaper because the total COA will be less for 3 years instead of 4 for housing/etc. AZ is cheaper than let’s say...UGA in the long run. Edit:For OOS of course.

Exactly, if you pay 210k for 3 yrs and get the same amount of semesters as 4 yrs for 210k it’s actually cheaper because the total COA will be less for 3 years instead of 4 for housing/etc. AZ is cheaper than let’s say...UGA in the long run.

Exactly. Especially as I have other loans as well, it’s one year less of interest accruing on them, in addition to one less year of housing costs, etc.

Exactly. Especially as I have other loans as well, it’s one year less of interest accruing on them, in addition to one less year of housing costs, etc.

And from what ive seen you can get a fairly nice place for $1000 a month and split it with someone to be about 600-700 a month each thats not too bad, could be much worse in different areas

And from what ive seen you can get a fairly nice place for $1000 a month and split it with someone to be about 600-700 a month each thats not too bad, could be much worse in different areas

Tell me about it I paid $1,300 a month for one third of an apartment for my undergrad

Nah, no thanks

Ill take one roommate please and my own bathroom

It was a three bedroom one bathroom. 800 sq feet. It was an interesting year

It was a three bedroom one bathroom. 800 sq feet. It was an interesting year

Sounds fabulous
Im worried about finding a roommate ill get along with

Edit: Im not hard to get along with i just am overly hyper

I am a current student at U of A, I am graduating with my bachelor's in veterinary science and a minor in biochem in May. I have lived in Tucson my entire life and worked closely with a lot of the incoming faculty for this program. I didn't apply to their program because I had already applied to 12 schools! But please feel free to ask me any questions you have!

Has anyone else been accepted elsewhere and decided to not take their interview? I am trying to decide if I want to spend the travel money to interview because I am hesitant that I would choose U of A over the school that I have been accepted to. Mostly due to the fact that they are brand new and there will be a lot of growing pains, and either way I will be paying OOS tuition. I love AZ, and don't want to sell the school short without seeing it. I also feel that it would be a risk to go here vs somewhere that is already fully functioning and has the connections in place that will foster my LA interest. Any advice or thoughts?

Has anyone else been accepted elsewhere and decided to not take their interview? I am trying to decide if I want to spend the travel money to interview because I am hesitant that I would choose U of A over the school that I have been accepted to. Mostly due to the fact that they are brand new and there will be a lot of growing pains, and either way I will be paying OOS tuition. I love AZ, and don't want to sell the school short without seeing it. I also feel that it would be a risk to go here vs somewhere that is already fully functioning and has the connections in place that will foster my LA interest. Any advice or thoughts?

Where were you accepted? That may help others give you advice here...especially if they go there. My only other acceptance is Ross so I’m definitely going for this so I can stay in the states (plus it’s cheaper). Most people will say “go cheapest”, but there will be “growing pains”.

If you really feel that you’ll end up not attending, I personally wouldn’t interview there. If you still aren’t sure, it won’t hurt to interview and see the school for yourself. I think your concerns are valid—there’s a lot of inherent uncertainty that goes into this distributive model.

I can tell you there’s not a lot of cows in Tucson/Oro Valley proper, but they exist outside of town in the more rural areas. You’ll likely have to do some traveling about the state to get some food animal experience. Heck the university owned ranch is up in Rimrock, a good 3 hour drive.

Where were you accepted? That may help others give you advice here...especially if they go there. My only other acceptance is Ross so I’m definitely going for this so I can stay in the states (plus it’s cheaper). Most people will say “go cheapest”, but there will be “growing pains”.

I agree with zoo here. I think knowing the place you were accepted will help us help you. Is it your in-state?

Despite both being OOS. If the program you’ve been accepted to is already established and you like the area, etc. If it was my personal choice and I already had an acceptance, I would take the school that’s established and am accepted to. It would save on travel/interview associated costs for sure.

Question for those who are interviewing on the 29th. So my MMI registration says that my interview time slot is 7:45-9:05am. That means that I am part of group 1 that is interviewing that day, right? (I am concluding this based on the program schedule listed on the website) But then I am free to leave after that and return around 3pm for the tour? I guess just trying to confirm that I don’t have to stay the entire day?

I just recently interviewed at another school and they wanted us to stay for a couple of hours as they had a bunch of informational stuff planned for the students. It doesn’t seem like that would be the case here...

Question for those who are interviewing on the 29th. So my MMI registration says that my interview time slot is 7:45-9:05am. That means that I am part of group 1 that is interviewing that day, right? (I am concluding this based on the program schedule listed on the website) But then I am free to leave after that and return around 3pm for the tour? I guess just trying to confirm that I don’t have to stay the entire day?

I just recently interviewed at another school and they wanted us to stay for a couple of hours as they had a bunch of informational stuff planned for the students. It doesn’t seem like that would be the case here...

I would imagine they will have informational things you could stay for, but may also be free to leave if you would like. They are offering lunch so that is my assumption.
I haven’t seen anything about the sessions or them being mandatory.
They sent email out originally about informational sessions and most schools have them.

I would imagine they will have informational things you could stay for, but may also be free to leave if you would like. They are offering lunch so that is my assumption.
I haven’t seen anything about the sessions or them being mandatory.
They sent email out originally about informational sessions and most schools have them.

Yes, that does make sense! I guess if they are serving lunch, they are anticipating students to stick around. I’ll plan on staying until the tour then. I am sure they’ll send more details closer to the date as well. Thanks!

Yes, that does make sense! I guess if they are serving lunch, they are anticipating students to stick around. I’ll plan on staying until the tour then. I am sure they’ll send more details closer to the date as well. Thanks!

Maybe I will see you there!! I am in the second group of interviews!

I was accepted into my Instate and decided not to interview. I declined my interview mainly because it was cheaper, closer to home, my dream school, and an established program. But really if you're not 100% sure with the school you've already been accepted to it would probably be worth the trip to see where you would be happier spending the next 4 years. Good Luck

I declined my interview at U of A, mostly because I don’t think the accelerated 3 year timeline would be a good fit for me. In contrast I did go to an interview at MSU even after being accepted to my IS, since I was already packed and flights and hotel were non refundable. I’m glad I went because it was another program to compare with and I came home that much more confident that my IS was the right choice for me. If you’re wanting to give U of A a shot, it’s probably because there’s something about the school you’ve already been accepted to that you’re unsure about, so seeing another school to compare couldn’t hurt if you can afford it. If you’re specifically looking for LA connections, I would just email the school to ask if they have faculty who would be willing to talk to you about that or what specific opportunities will be available through partnerships outside the school.

Does anyone have any adventure plans while in Tucson? Thinking about taking the Mt. Lemmon Scenic Bypass to see the views!

There’s a lot to explore in and around town! So many hiking trails. The desert museum is a must see!