University of Chicago Acceptees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pneumo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings-
I am in the process of applying right now. U of C is one of my top choices. I was wondering if there are any U of C acceptees lurking out there who would be willing to share their insight and experiences with this fine institution.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Anyone have anything to say? What was the interview like? Any tricky secondary questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
I just got into U of C off the waitlist yesterday, but I have decided to go to Hopkins instead. U of C is great. I have nothing but good things to say about that school. I thought that Pritzker was the best place to study medicine--it's pass/fail, the curriculum is strong, academically....the school is interdisciplinary so you meet people from all walks of life--undergrad, law, and business schools along with the medical school. Plus, the Office of Medical Ed is soooo great to its students. They'll do everything for you--find you a dentist if you need one, give you a grant for research. It's one of the most well-rounded schools I've ever seen. Plus, the architecture is amazing and it's reasonably close to downtown chicago...and the Lake!! Wow...soooo beautiful!

As far as the interview is concerned...it's not too bad. You have three interviews...one with either Dean Robertson or Dean Lombard, one with a faculty, and one with a student. Everyone there is so friendly--there's seriously so much cooperation among students over there. I was really surprised at the comraderie within each class. The secondary is online, I think--it was last year. There are about 4-5 short essay questions which aren't too bad, but require some thinking. It's certainly doable.

Best of luck! If you have any other questions, you can definitely PM me!

nylee

Well in my experience, the University of Chicago interview was very similar to the others I had been on.

For the regular MD program, non MSTP, you interview with one physician and one student. Like all interviewers they ask the same battery of questions and the difficulty of the questions/answers is entirely based on the interviewer and your own personality. So it is hard to place any interview at the University of Chicago,or others schools for that matter, into some cookie-cutter format. All interviews are different. You will learn this quite quickly as you interview at various schools.

As to what the school is looking for, just go to their website. What the admissions committee is looking for in a student is explicitly stated in their admissions process. There are no tricks/hints. Just be yourself and hopefully, if the qualifications you have meet what the school, and therefore ADCOMs, are looking for, you will get an interview/acceptance. :)

You might want to search this forum for threads back in October-November. There were a lot of students who had interviews at the school and the threads about their experiences probably still exist.

I personally had a wonderful interview experience. The school was simply gorgeous and the enthusiasm shown by the faculty/staff/students speaks volumes about the school itself.