University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi there , do not feel alone i myself am consumed with pharmacy and admissions , so dont fell lonley
:)

We all are tired of the wait.....so lets...let it be!
So anyone going anywhere for spring break??
Im heading to Vegas Baby....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to Paris! (I'm not a rich person, I just got a really good deal on a flight!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you.

Was anyone there Wednesday (the 28th). It was awesome!

So has anybody that has interviewed yet gotten accepted??? I interviewed on Feb. 9th. Although they say they will be accepting people thoughout the interview process, I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted yet. Have any of you heard of anyone else flat out getting accepted?

Haven't heard anything, but I just interviewed on the 28th! lol I'm from Phoenix too... how did you like the city?

Haven't heard anything, but I just interviewed on the 28th! lol I'm from Phoenix too... how did you like the city?

I liked it. It is completely different from Phoenix as far as the weather is concerned but I think I want a change, experience something different. What other schools did you interview with? I interviewed with U of A (waitlisted) and U of Southern Nevada. What school do you go to?

I go to ASUwest... I applied to Midwestern CPG (waitlisted) and the University of Colorado. I hope to get in, I need a change!

I go to ASUwest... I applied to Midwestern CPG (waitlisted) and the University of Colorado. I hope to get in, I need a change!

So, U of Colorado is your only shot? Good luck. Applying to Midwestern was a big waste of my money. Do you live on the west side? I go to PVCC.

I would imagine he lives on the west side. He goes to west / went to GCC. What are you guys going to do if you dont get in this year?

I still have a chance at Midwestern, but I could care less! I really want to go to the University of Colorado for a lot of reasons... more and better reasons than why I want to go to MWU. I do live on the west side, around 75th and TBird.

... if I don't get in I'm going to continue at ASUwest and see where that lands me. uffffff i want to get rolling with pharmacy school.

I go to ASU west too Shaun, what classes you taking right now. I got into midwestern CPG but am going to decline the offer and head to UofA instead. Good luck, midwestern usually has alot of people decline offers like I am, from what I have been told they usually have to accept between 170-200 to fill the 130 available seats, it is just too expensive for an average program...

Members don't see this ad :)
I still have a chance at Midwestern, but I could care less! I really want to go to the University of Colorado for a lot of reasons... more and better reasons than why I want to go to MWU. I do live on the west side, around 75th and TBird.

... if I don't get in I'm going to continue at ASUwest and see where that lands me. uffffff i want to get rolling with pharmacy school.

You live real close to west then. Sweet deal for you. I know what you mean about wanting to get RX school out of the way. I am so occupied by Colorado that I am letting my grades kinda slip. It's only about another month wait.... No big deal right?

I go to ASU west too Shaun, what classes you taking right now. I got into midwestern CPG but am going to decline the offer and head to UofA instead. Good luck, midwestern usually has alot of people decline offers like I am, from what I have been told they usually have to accept between 170-200 to fill the 130 available seats, it is just too expensive for an average program...

I am currently taking Ecology with Dr. Johnson, Physics with Dr. Solis, Death & Dying with Dr. Naim and the fitness class. What are you taking?

I am taking Molecular Genetics with Dr. Jurutka and a few blow off classes to finish my BS in life science...good luck man, my name is john r, not sure if I have ever had you in any classes

I just started so can't say you have. I am in the life science program as well but have about a year left to finish my degree.

hello to those studens that are not native english language speakers , has anyone had the secondary phone intervierw yet?or from those students that are alreasdy in uc, how long did it take them to conduct the secnodary interview?

Hey John,
I don't know if you saw but I made the alternate list at U of A. A few of my friends flat out got denied even afetr they had an interview so I don't feel so bad. Seriously, I am shocked that U of A even gave me an interview with a 35 on my PCAT. I know I have a ton of experience but my friend has experience as well and a way better PCAT score than mine and he got denied. U of A is very unpredictable sometimes. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.:) I kind of want to call them and get info on how their Alternate list works.

rxcrystal,

I really hope that you get into UofA, hopefully some of those out of state students choose other schools and hopefully some in state students chose to go to the three year program at midwestern. Like I said before, my tour guide had a 3.5 with a 50pcat, so there is definately hope, your interview must have went well for them not to strait out deny you like they did to friends of yours that had better scores, have you heard fro colorado?

Have most people already had their interview? Mine is coming up on the 12th:cool:.

rxcrystal,

I really hope that you get into UofA, hopefully some of those out of state students choose other schools and hopefully some in state students chose to go to the three year program at midwestern. Like I said before, my tour guide had a 3.5 with a 50pcat, so there is definately hope, your interview must have went well for them not to strait out deny you like they did to friends of yours that had better scores, have you heard fro colorado?

No, I am pretty sure Colorado will be getting back once interviews are over. Does anyone know when the last interview is? Luckily for us, Colorado accepts quite a few out-of-staters unlike U of A. And no PCAT, I've got it down! You are so lucky to flat out know that you are excepted somewhere. I am so happy for you.

No, I am pretty sure Colorado will be getting back once interviews are over. Does anyone know when the last interview is? Luckily for us, Colorado accepts quite a few out-of-staters unlike U of A. And no PCAT, I've got it down! You are so lucky to flat out know that you are excepted somewhere. I am so happy for you.

The last date is coming up very soon... I want to say toward the end of March. Because I'm too lazy and need to get out the door for school, I would check that e-mail Beverly sent us that said you were invited for an interview. It lists in there the dates of the interviews... Good luck everyone, you all deserver it in some way or another.

wow i just got called from the school to set up an oral proficiency test next Friday although i interviewed a month ago.

is this a BAD thing?

obviously i wasn't born here but do they do this for people who really suck in English b/c I don't think i suck that much:scared:

so for anyone who can answer my question, is this a bad thing? a rejection?

wow i just got called from the school to set up an oral proficiency test next Friday although i interviewed a month ago.

is this a BAD thing?

obviously i wasn't born here but do they do this for people who really suck in English b/c I don't think i suck that much:scared:

It's a good thing. It means that they liked you enough during the interview, otherwise they wouldn't waste their time doing a phone interview for every ESL candidate if they didn't think they had a good chance to be accepted. From my understanding they do this with everyone who English is their second language that they are seriously considering for their program.

It's a good thing. It means that they liked you enough during the interview, otherwise they wouldn't waste their time doing a phone interview for every ESL candidate if they didn't think they had a good chance to be accepted. From my understanding they do this with everyone who English is their second language that they are seriously considering for their program.

even if you've proven to do well in your writing/english courses in college and good SATII writing scores?

do you know how the test will go? what kinds of questions do they ask? or do they ask the interview questions over again like why pharmacy and things like that?

thanks for your response though

is this a BAD thing?

It's definitely not a bad thing. If they knew they didn't want you after your interview, they would just reject you, without using their resources for this follow-up. So congrats, you're still very much in the running! :)

Aside from that, I'm really curious to know who they decide to do this English language second interview for. Do you have a heavy accent? Do you think you did a decent job on your essay? Maybe they're just not as used to foreign-born people as they are in, say, California schools.

It's definitely not a bad thing. If they knew they didn't want you after your interview, they would just reject you, without using their resources for this follow-up. So congrats, you're still very much in the running! :)

Aside from that, I'm really curious to know who they decide to do this English language second interview for. Do you have a heavy accent? Do you think you did a decent job on your essay? Maybe they're just not as used to foreign-born people as they are in, say, California schools.

i asked the person why and she said everyone who isn't a native-born person gets this.

i asked the person why and she said everyone who isn't a native-born person gets this.

Wow, that's a bit naive on their part. I came here when I was a very little kid -- English is not the first language I learned, but it's certainly the one I know best. I wonder if they're going to make me go through the language evaluation too -- maybe during my interview, when they see I don't have an accent, they'll be kind and decide to skip it?:idea:

Wow, that's a bit naive on their part. I came here when I was a very little kid -- English is not the first language I learned, but it's certainly the one I know best. I wonder if they're going to make me go through the language evaluation too -- maybe during my interview, when they see I don't have an accent, they'll be kind and decide to skip it?:idea:

i don't think i have an accent. i mean it doesn't matter if u have an accent but if u speak fluenly w/ proper grammar and things like that, you're fairly proficient. i mean, i don't think my english is broken so that's why i was shocked to get this. and she said she's planning to do this in the new 2 weeks. so i think we will hear news soon i guess as early as 2 weeks from.

i don't think i have an accent. i mean it doesn't matter if u have an accent but if u speak fluenly w/ proper grammar and things like that, you're fairly proficient. i mean, i don't think my english is broken so that's why i was shocked to get this. and she said she's planning to do this in the new 2 weeks. so i think we will hear news soon i guess as early as 2 weeks from.

Well, thanks for getting the info out there...I guess I should be expecting this eventually (I haven't even had my main interview yet, so it's still some time away). I'd really appreciate it if you could post after you go through it and let me know what to exect.:) Thanks!

Well, thanks for getting the info out there...I guess I should be expecting this eventually (I haven't even had my main interview yet, so it's still some time away). I'd really appreciate it if you could post after you go through it and let me know what to exect.:) Thanks!

well, i want to know what this oral test is like. i would be grateful if anyone knows more about this so i can prepare for it :smuggrin: .

you'll do great jun99. don't worry. it's very conversational the interview. don't stress over it.

Yah honestly people, you can be too overprepared for an interview and they will know it. Jun99, you keep asking people for exactly what will be on this part and what will the interview be like. Get prepared on your own terms and let there be a little surprise too it. You won't come out dead and you most certainly will have fun, trust me. If you practice your answers to a T, they will catch on to that and it won't impress them at all.

Yah honestly people, you can be too overprepared for an interview and they will know it. Jun99, you keep asking people for exactly what will be on this part and what will the interview be like. Get prepared on your own terms and let there be a little surprise too it. You won't come out dead and you most certainly will have fun, trust me. If you practice your answers to a T, they will catch on to that and it won't impress them at all.

that's not really true. UCSF has a website that tells you what they will most likely ask and WANT you to prepare the answers beforehand. it shows preparation.
but yes, not just memorize.

Don't feel so bad...I got that call today too :laugh:. I felt the same way as you did. I though it was a bit insulting, but it's what they have to do since English is not our first language. But, when I'd ask her how to prepare for the phone interview...she replied...."it will be just a simple conversation that would last for 20-30 minutes", and they wants to see if there is a language barrier....thats all. I hope this would be a good sign of Acceptance :thumbup:. BTW, the last interview date is March, 14th! GOOD!

Don't feel so bad...I got that call today too :laugh:. I felt the same way as you did. I though it was a bit insulting, but it's what they have to do since English is not our first language. But, when I'd ask her how to prepare for the phone interview...she replied...."it will be just a simple conversation that would last for 20-30 minutes", and they wants to see if there is a language barrier....thats all. I hope this would be a good sign of Acceptance :thumbup:. BTW, the last interview date is March, 14th! GOOD!

yea when i got that call, i thought i was a FOB :laugh:

if it's a simple conversation then it's :thumbup:

They need 20-30 minutes to assess whether there is a language barrier?? Wouldn't they get a good sense of it at the actual interview on campus?

This is completely hearsay so take it with a grain of salt. During my PCAT last June I was talking to a woman from Vietnam who went to the same university as me. She told me the reason for the phone interview was because the school in the past had problems with students who spoke English as a second language struggling academically with the program, and that's all she knew or told me.

The validity of that, I have no clue but this woman had been through the process twice. Two phone interviews after two on-site interviews and two rejections. She was taking the PCAT to prove that she was fluent in English. Again... I cannot validate any of this, this is what she told me and for all I know she was exaggerating, angry at UCHSC, or making it all up.

This is completely hearsay so take it with a grain of salt. During my PCAT last June I was talking to a woman from Vietnam who went to the same university as me. She told me the reason for the phone interview was because the school in the past had problems with students who spoke English as a second language struggling academically with the program, and that's all she knew or told me.

The validity of that, I have no clue but this woman had been through the process twice. Two phone interviews after two on-site interviews and two rejections. She was taking the PCAT to prove that she was fluent in English. Again... I cannot validate any of this, this is what she told me and for all I know she was exaggerating, angry at UCHSC, or making it all up.

darn, so it's a sign of rejection?

They need 20-30 minutes to assess whether there is a language barrier?? Wouldn't they get a good sense of it at the actual interview on campus?

No.. and here's why. A face to face interview can easily lead someone to listen to what you're saying and see what you are saying (via reading lips). It's impossible to read your lips over a phone call.

No.. and here's why. A face to face interview can easily lead someone to listen to what you're saying and see what you are saying (via reading lips). It's impossible to read your lips over a phone call.

Communication is about language -- your vocabulary and your grammar -- it doesn't matter whether it's expressed via your lip movements or your vocal cords.

To everyone who has received notice for this secondary phone interview, how long have you lived in the US?

To everyone who has received notice for this secondary phone interview, how long have you lived in the US?

13 yrs. and i think i did well in english courses and SATs stuff. i guess they want to see if they can understand you over the phone.

for lukercat, did that person have an accent or did she speak well?

Communication is about language -- your vocabulary and your grammar -- it doesn't matter whether it's expressed via your lip movements or your vocal cords.

My parents are both educators.. combined over 50 years of teaching.. when asked "why do people conduct secondary phone interviews for english as a second language canidates?" both of my parents (divorced) responded with my last reply. I believe it to be true as well. Then want to make sure they can understand what you are saying without having you right in their presence. It makes a lot of sense.

My parents are both educators.. combined over 50 years of teaching.. when asked "why do people conduct secondary phone interviews for english as a second language canidates?" both of my parents (divorced) responded with my last reply. I believe it to be true as well. Then want to make sure they can understand what you are saying without having you right in their presence. It makes a lot of sense.

that's true. for people w/ accents, maybe it's hard for one to understand what you are trying to convey. so when you educate patients about a certain drug and they have a hard time understanding you, that's a bad thing.

so AGAIN, is this a sign of rejection or not? lurkerscat post is scaring me :scared:

that's true. for people w/ accents, maybe it's hard for one to understand what you are trying to convey. so when you educate patients about a certain drug and they have a hard time understanding you, that's a bad thing.

so AGAIN, is this a sign of rejection or not? lurkerscat post is scaring me :scared:

Don't worry, this is NOT by any means a rejection. They would never waste the time and money to give you a secondary interview if they weren't interested. It's probably just some standard procedure they have to comply with -- just a formality.

It sucks that there's some extra step that other people don't have to go though, but you're gonna be just fine! :D

So March 14th is the last interview day!!! When do you guys think we will hear back? End of March? I am so excited!!!

darn, so it's a sign of rejection?

Absolutely not! If they weren't interested in having you be a student at the school why would they spend the time to talk to on the phone.

13 yrs. and i think i did well in english courses and SATs stuff. i guess they want to see if they can understand you over the phone.

for lukercat, did that person have an accent or did she speak well?

A few times she had to pause to recall the correct English word. She had an accent but we had no problems communicating face to face.

I really don't think anyone in this thread has anything to worry about. From reading your posts you all seem very good with English language and I feel that they just do this interview for all ESL applicants so they can't be accused of discriminating between one non-native English speaker to another.

Again, they would not be taking the time to call you for 20-30 minutes unless they were seriously considering sending you an acceptance.