University of Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samedicine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from the University of Florida lately? I've been complete there since October, but haven't heard anything either way so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't heard anything, wondering the same thing. Aug. MCATER

samedicine said:
Has anyone heard anything from the University of Florida lately? I've been complete there since October, but haven't heard anything either way so far.

i was complete in september and interviewed there 3 weeks ago, let me know if you have more specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when they stop giving invites?

ghgi8 said:
i was complete in september and interviewed there 3 weeks ago, let me know if you have more specific questions.

Negrito6 said:
Do you know when they stop giving invites?

pulled this off their site.......Interviews are held on Friday's from September through March at the University of Florida College of Medicine. May want to consider writing a letter of interest.... good luck let me know if i can be of more help.

ghgi8 said:

ghgi8,

Did they make mention of how full the class is at this point? I've been accepted at Miami, but would really like an interview at UF, just to get a feel for the school. I've been complete for a while now, and am getting the feeling that time is running out.

samedicine said:
ghgi8,

Did they make mention of how full the class is at this point? I've been accepted at Miami, but would really like an interview at UF, just to get a feel for the school. I've been complete for a while now, and am getting the feeling that time is running out.

i think someone did ask... i think they have offerred 90 to 100 acceptances but def dont quote me on that stat.

ghgi8 said:

How was your interview?

i think it went pretty well. Both of my interviewers were real laid back and the other interviewees said the same. Great tour of Shands. Long day but thats expected.....I got waitlisted, keeping my fingers crossed.

ghgi8 said:
i think it went pretty well. Both of my interviewers were real laid back and the other interviewees said the same. Great tour of Shands. Long day but thats expected.....I got waitlisted, keeping my fingers crossed.

Can you give me an idea of your stats? And is UF high on your list?

oh man the day there was long lol! my longest for sure...but I did like it...Interviwed back in october--something like 10/22 perhaps?

I interviewed at UF October 4th or 5th and received my acceptance on October 15th...I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
pinkice said:
I interviewed at UF October 4th or 5th and received my acceptance on October 15th...I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Are you attending?

I ask because I am.

UF is a great school, and I have been in the admissions office once every other week to talk to Robyn (she is soooo nice). She said on Monday that they have given out invites until Feb 18 and they have three more Fridays they are interviewing on (usually about 10-15 people per day). I have been waiting for a while as well, and I am kinda upset because I interviewed last year with a crappy MCAT that I greatly improved upon this August, I hope to hear from them soon, if not oh well I guess it wasn't meant to be. Plus I have been in Gainesville for 6 years now 5yrs of school and 3 years of research and it wouldn't be a bad thing to see some change. Good Luck :luck: everyone

BeatArmy said:
Are you attending?

I ask because I am.

Right now I am debating between UF and Pitt. Of course I won't hear from Pitt until next month but based on my interview there and the favorable response I've gotten from all the other schoools where I interviewed I'm pretty confident I'll be accepted. Did you interview elsewhere? If so what was the deciding factor for UF?

pinkice said:
Right now I am debating between UF and Pitt. Of course I won't hear from Pitt until next month but based on my interview there and the favorable response I've gotten from all the other schoools where I interviewed I'm pretty confident I'll be accepted. Did you interview elsewhere? If so what was the deciding factor for UF?

In-state tuition and the fact that I like gainesville were probably the biggest factors for me. I also really liked what I heard during the interview day. Academically, I am impressed by what they are accomplishing with board scores. They are committed to growing and improving, but they are also cautious about making large changes to the curriculum and grading scheme. So many schools right now are moving toward PBL and P/F. I think most of them are doing it to attract students. UF is staying lecture and letter grades because they think it is the best way to teach and learn. I would prefer not to go somewhere that is using a curriculum that is brand new or going through major rework. Clinically, I think the Shands system is great.

To answer your other question, it was my only interview because I cancelled all my others after getting in to UF.

BeatArmy said:
In-state tuition and the fact that I like gainesville were probably the biggest factors for me. I also really liked what I heard during the interview day. Academically, I am impressed by what they are accomplishing with board scores. They are committed to growing and improving, but they are also cautious about making large changes to the curriculum and grading scheme. So many schools right now are moving toward PBL and P/F. I think most of them are doing it to attract students. UF is staying lecture and letter grades because they think it is the best way to teach and learn. I would prefer not to go somewhere that is using a curriculum that is brand new or going through major rework. Clinically, I think the Shands system is great.

To answer your other question, it was my only interview because I cancelled all my others after getting in to UF.

I was also impressed with their student's performance on the boards. Shands and the Harrell center were also pretty impressive. In-state tuition...need I say more? I have to say that PBL is probably one of Pitt's selling points for me. After grad school and working in the "real world" I've really come to appreciate the importance of critical thinking and independent learning. I think it would require alot of self discipline and may perhaps be more difficult but may make me a better physician as a result.
As for Gainesville...I'm originally from Nebraska and after living in S. Fla for 6 years I don't know how ready I am to get back to that small town mentality!

Though I was happy with what I saw at Miami, I remain very keen on an interview at UF. Even went so far as to write a letter of "strong interest," and now feel like I am prostituting myself. Well, hopefully I'll still get an interview because, like the rest of you, in-state tuition would be wonderful.

Just got a invite for an interview March 18 at UF, yes!! I was an August MCATER and complete early december. Any tips before the interview?? Thanks

I interviewed in November, and was put "on hold", it seemed like this was not the same thing as "waitlist". Has anyone else been on hold and heard any update from them?... I've interviewed at 7 places and UF definitely has the best combo of cost/quality, so its' my top choice, I hope I get in.

I finally got my invite last week for March 11th, I wish you all a lot of luck and hope that you get the call today :luck:

does anyone know when the hold category is supposed to start moving?

Last edited:
NautiBoy said:
does anyone know when the hold category is supposed to start moving?

I've been curious about this, no one seems to have any answer.

this is what robyn told me.....

The alternate list will be determined in the mid to late April. It is
not ranked. The number of those taken from the alternate list changes
yearly.