2023-2024 University of South Florida (Morsani)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 University of South Florida (Morsani) Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Do you believe the competitiveness (i.e. course requirements, experiences, academic performance, etc.) of your application for medical school has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic? If yes, please provide specifics as to how your competitiveness was impacted. If no, type “N/A”. (1500 Characters)

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
(Private Practice, Academic Medicine, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Health Policy, Other)
Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question. (1500 characters)

3. The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation.
Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question: (Scholarly Concentrations Program | USF Health) a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? (1500 characters)

4. The USF Morsani College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but is not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research, and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine? (2000 characters)

5. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (
Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)

6. If you have chosen the SELECT program or BOTH, please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (MD SELECT Program | USF Health) (1500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received 9:32 EST.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS (w/ strong FL ties) Secondary received, same questions as last year

Reactions: 1 users
OOS received!!

Prompts:
Do you believe the competitiveness (i.e. course requirements, experiences, academic performance, etc.) of your application for medical school has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic? IIf yes, please provide specifics as to how your competitiveness was impacted. If no, type “N/A”. (1500 Characters)

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
(Private Practice, Academic Medicine, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Health Policy, Other)
Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question. (1500 characters)

The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation. Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question: (Scholarly Concentrations Program | USF Health) a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? (1500 characters)

The USF Morsani College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but is not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research, and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine? (2000 characters)

If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)

If you have chosen the SELECT program or BOTH, please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (MD SELECT Program | USF Health) (1500 characters)

@wysdoc

Has anybody been able to submit without having to choose a Masters? I had to click Other...

Has anybody been able to submit without having to choose a Masters? I had to click Other...
Same problem here! I have to choose other too. It's almost like it wants something for every box/option. Are you just going to hit submit?

Same problem here! I have to choose other too. It's almost like it wants something for every box/option. Are you just going to hit submit?
Yeah I just hit submit

Reactions: 1 user
Another question - I'm OOS and trying to submit the residency forms. It asks for USF ID, we don't have one so are we just using our AMCAS id?
It says to leave it blank. But out of curiosity, do U.S. citizens have an alien registration number?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else unable to find the secondary app portal? There was no link provided in my email and the login on their website is for current students...

Anyone else unable to find the secondary app portal? There was no link provided in my email and the login on their website is for current students...
I had multiple emails sent from USF at first, only the first of which had the link to the portal -- I'd look for other emails from them, which may also be in your spam folder

Is anyone else having trouble submitting? When I try to enter the payment it tells me the payment is "declined"... I've tried 3 different cards and each time it says the same thing. Im certain they are not declining cuz I dont have money lol

Is anyone else having trouble submitting? When I try to enter the payment it tells me the payment is "declined"... I've tried 3 different cards and each time it says the same thing. Im certain they are not declining cuz I dont have money lol
Literally having the exact same problem right now. I've tried 3 different browsers and 3 different cards. Wonder if the system is down right now

Also experiencing this

+1

hey yall, amcas still hasnt even verified my app yet but i was gonna ask if anyone has heard of an applicant getting accepted with my stats and/or if you think i even have a chance lol: 500 mcat, 3.94 gpa, OOS but went to USF undergrad, undergrad research at morsani, and 3/4 of my LOR are from USF (two of them are research PIs from morsani)

not sure if my LORs will be sufficient enough to offset my low mcat? lmk what u guys think

hey yall, amcas still hasnt even verified my app yet but i was gonna ask if anyone has heard of an applicant getting accepted with my stats and/or if you think i even have a chance lol: 500 mcat, 3.94 gpa, OOS but went to USF undergrad, undergrad research at morsani, and 3/4 of my LOR are from USF (two of them are research PIs from morsani)

not sure if my LORs will be sufficient enough to offset my low mcat? lmk what u guys think
They don't screen for MCAT scores but their 10th percentile is 513. I think it would likely be a donation unfortunately, but others may know more than me.

Is anyone else's payment still declining even now? I've tried clearing my cache, using a different card... it keeps declining and it's not a bank or money issue on my end

Is anyone else's payment still declining even now? I've tried clearing my cache, using a different card... it keeps declining and it's not a bank or money issue on my end
I recently got a reply from USF on the card declining issue. Here's what they said:

"Thank you for your email, and interest in USF MCOM. At this time, you should be able to try resubmitting your payment for Supplemental Application(s). We advise before you try resubmitting the payment that you clear the cache and cookies on your browser to avoid additional trouble. We have provided our troubleshooting list below,

1. Clearing Cache and Cookies on your browser

2. Only log into one gateway at a time

3. Ensure that you are also logged out of your AAMC account

4. Check that the address you enter matches what your bank has on record

5. Check to make sure that the bank has no holds on your account.

6. Trying a different card entirely"

I'm not sure it will help, but you can give it a try. Hope it works!

I recently got a reply from USF on the card declining issue. Here's what they said:

"Thank you for your email, and interest in USF MCOM. At this time, you should be able to try resubmitting your payment for Supplemental Application(s). We advise before you try resubmitting the payment that you clear the cache and cookies on your browser to avoid additional trouble. We have provided our troubleshooting list below,

1. Clearing Cache and Cookies on your browser

2. Only log into one gateway at a time

3. Ensure that you are also logged out of your AAMC account

4. Check that the address you enter matches what your bank has on record

5. Check to make sure that the bank has no holds on your account.

6. Trying a different card entirely"

I'm not sure it will help, but you can give it a try. Hope it works!
Thank you for the reply - I also received this email and tried the troubleshooting list but still have the same issue... kind of getting worried lol

Thank you for the reply - I also received this email and tried the troubleshooting list but still have the same issue... kind of getting worried lol
Be sure you know how to "clear the cache" on your own computer and browser.
This is more complicated than just clearing the browser history.

After you do that, restart your computer for the changes to take place.
It wouldn't have occurred to me that being logged in to AAMC would cause a problem!

hey yall, im in the process of filling out their application to send and im not sure what to put for their URM question:

"Per the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), underrepresented in medicine, or URM, means “those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population.” This includes those who consider themselves Black/ African-American, Mexican-American, Native American (including American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Rican."

im hispanic, but not one of the hispanic categories that they specifically mentioned. should i put "no" in that case?

hey yall, im in the process of filling out their application to send and im not sure what to put for their URM question:

"Per the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), underrepresented in medicine, or URM, means “those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population.” This includes those who consider themselves Black/ African-American, Mexican-American, Native American (including American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Rican."

im hispanic, but not one of the hispanic categories that they specifically mentioned. should i put "no" in that case?
I am Hispanic also, but I did not put it because I was not Mexican or Puerto Rican

I would put "yes." It seems USF copied and pasted the definition of URM from what the AAMC used 20 years ago.

Directly via the AAMC website: Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans.

Under this past definition, if you're Guatemalan-American you wouldn't be considered URM which makes no sense to me. Since then, the AAMC's changed their definition to: "Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

USF also says "includes" which suggests that the definition of URM is not totally limited to those examples listed.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey you guys! Still on the waitlist from the 2022-2023 cycle from here. Ready for a new application cycle 🙌🏾

Hi! I am an M2 at USF MCOM. If anyone has any questions about the interview/application process or questions about USF MCOM in general feel free to reach out.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hi is anyone having any issues submitting their secondary application?
I was having issues with the button being greyed out. It's kinda dumb, but you need to put N/A or something for all the optional questions since the form is not seeing them as optional and wants something in each of those fields. At that point the submit button should work.

I was having issues with the button being greyed out. It's kinda dumb, but you need to put N/A or something for all the optional questions since the form is not seeing them as optional and wants something in each of those fields. At that point the submit button should work.
I was able to submit it 🙌🏾. I really hope to get in this year after being waitlisted 😭

Residency question here - have been away for college but still consider myself Florida resident with Florida ID and voter registration. It seems on their IS form we have to have been living in the state for the past 12 months, anyone know what to do?

Residency question here - have been away for college but still consider myself Florida resident with Florida ID and voter registration. It seems on their IS form we have to have been living in the state for the past 12 months, anyone know what to do?
Answer all the questions - you don’t have to meet every one of them to still be a Florida resident. If it’s your home state you don’t lose your status by going to college somewhere else as long as you return home after graduation

Is it true that they start giving II's on the 24th? Bc eek that's Monday!

Is it true that they start giving II's on the 24th? Bc eek that's Monday!
Probably not, the interview dates listed on MSAR aren't accurate a lot of the time (guessing that's where you found that). On their website it says II's start going out in August. Last year, the first person to post that they got an II on SDN for regular decision was in late August.