2023-2024 University of South Florida (Morsani)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are people that were initially Select but got converted to WL considered equally to Core WLs? When would an appropriate time to submit an LOI be if I was waitlisted in January.

Members don't see this ad.

Are people that were initially Select but got converted to WL considered equally to Core WLs? When would an appropriate time to submit an LOI be if I was waitlisted in January.
I'm CORE but I sent one LOI in Jan and one yesterday. Maybe useless but idc at this point

Members don't see this ad :)
So you were accepted by select and then put on the WL after select was shut down? Wow so people who were accepted for select didn’t automatically get a spot for core?

So you were accepted by select and then put on the WL after select was shut down? Wow so people who were accepted for select didn’t automatically get a spot for core?

I think they meant SELECT WL for Core WL. All accepted select students were offered core spots.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup Select Waitlist. Stats and clinical hours/research not an issue. Volunteering was the only low point but really need USF, my only waitlist. Holding out hope that another high stat research applicant drops and they pick me.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
I think they meant SELECT WL for Core WL. All accepted select students were offered core spots.
Rooting for you misotope. I'm sure the waiting plus USF nonsense has not made these months easy.

Reactions: 2 users
Rooting for you misotope. I'm sure the waiting plus USF nonsense has not made these months easy.

Aww thank youu 🫶 it’s looking like a reapp or become sugar baby moment tho, got 3/3 waitlists 🫨

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone received any financial aid/scholarship info yet? I had contacted the office but they said a student could receive a scholarship offer anytime from today to the first day of class. Wondering if I actually have a chance or if most people who got scholarships got it with their A, just because the $ will very obviously affect my decision on whether or not to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know if there is an accepted student's facebook or groupme? I would love to connect with other accepted students before second look, but it doesn't look like USF has sent any resources, unless maybe I missed that email? :rofl:

does anyone know if there is an accepted student's facebook or groupme? I would love to connect with other accepted students before second look, but it doesn't look like USF has sent any resources, unless maybe I missed that email? :rofl:

There was a GroupMe that had bots on it like every day so we made a new one today:

The answer to the question should be in your second look email!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the informed delivery notification for today, trying not to puke from nerves until it arrives

I legitimately think every single person who interviewed at this school December or later was waitlisted. Don't beat yourself up about it
Hey, don’t beat yourself up. I literally teach for this university and never even heard from them.
Thanks y’all I appreciate it❤️ this definitely makes me feel a bit better after my lil cry sesh at work 😂

• Care
Thanks y’all I appreciate it❤️ this definitely makes me feel a bit better after my lil cry sesh at work 😂
Med school applications are such a difficult process, and getting waitlisted is so stressful, because it is just more waiting (currently 2/2 for waitlists rn...). Just remember that a) it is not a rejection, and b) it means that the university liked you enough to want you in their class - they just don't have room for you right at this moment. Keep your chin up, you've got this.

IS waitlist today 😖. Interview 2/26
Sighhhhh 3/3 waitlists with more waiting. I don’t understand why they keep giving out interviews if they don’t have any seats and everyone is waitlisted. Giving us hope for no reason.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Med school applications are such a difficult process, and getting waitlisted is so stressful, because it is just more waiting (currently 2/2 for waitlists rn...). Just remember that a) it is not a rejection, and b) it means that the university liked you enough to want you in their class - they just don't have room for you right at this moment. Keep your chin up, you've got this.
You’re right thank you! 🥹 Best of luck, I’m sure you’ll get off one of those WLs! Sending good vibes your way

• Care
Forgot to mention that I withdrew my acceptance a while back! I hope it helps one of you get off the WL!

• Love
has anyone gotten any more info on second look day? I’m pretty sure I filled out the form but haven’t heard anything else about it so I’m worried I might not have fully filled out like I thought I had or something lol

Hi all,

Graduating MS4 here.

1) The closing of the SELECT Program was unexpected for the college and the admissions office. It has likely added a significant workload for the office, so don't take the lack of an email response personally.
2) Scholarships can be awarded at any time during your time at Morsani. I received an $80,000 admission scholarship that wasn't rewarded until months after my acceptance date. Don't withdraw an acceptance until you are certain a scholarship won't make a difference in your decision making. Same thing with the waitlist... this is a time to be selfish
3) In my opinion, Morsani did a great job preparing me for residency. TGH is a great training hospital. If you have a choice, I would go to a program with an established academic hospital.
4) We had many students apply for competitive specialties in the match. Many had to settle for their safety specialities or only match into a preliminary/ transitional program. Don't stress out too much about any particular year's match list... Morsani is a good school.
5) Overall, I chose Morsani over two other in-state schools. Still happy with my decision. They gave me additional scholarship money every year, and when I failed an exam they made sure I was given the academic support I needed. TGH is great, and All-Children's and the VA do a good job supplementing your educational experience.

Best of luck

• Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Hi all,

Graduating MS4 here.

1) The closing of the SELECT Program was unexpected for the college and the admissions office. It has likely added a significant workload for the office, so don't take the lack of an email response personally.
2) Scholarships can be awarded at any time during your time at Morsani. I received an $80,000 admission scholarship that wasn't rewarded until months after my acceptance date. Don't withdraw an acceptance until you are certain a scholarship won't make a difference in your decision making. Same thing with the waitlist... this is a time to be selfish
3) In my opinion, Morsani did a great job preparing me for residency. TGH is a great training hospital. If you have a choice, I would go to a program with an established academic hospital.
4) We had many students apply for competitive specialties in the match. Many had to settle for their safety specialities or only match into a preliminary/ transitional program. Don't stress out too much about any particular year's match list... Morsani is a good school.
5) Overall, I chose Morsani over two other in-state schools. Still happy with my decision. They gave me additional scholarship money every year, and when I failed an exam they made sure I was given the academic support I needed. TGH is great, and All-Children's and the VA do a good job supplementing your educational experience.

Best of luck

Thank you so much for this! When did you end up receiving scholarship? Since the CYMS is right around the corner

Anyone still waiting for decision (A/WL/R) post II ?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this! When did you end up receiving scholarship? Since the CYMS is right around the corner
Oh gosh, I had to check my old undergraduate email to see when I received it... what I found made me chuckle (it's funny now, but wasn't back then).

Based on the email thread, it looks like they called me on the phone with the scholarship offer around April 1st but I still hadn't received any written confirmation via mail or email by April 15th. So I had to email them requesting the packet with scholarship information to be resent. Eventually, I did receive it before the CYMS but it was a nerve-racking experience...

Granted, I was accepted in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. Policies and procedures may have changed by then, but it appears the last minute may be the status quo for our admissions office.

Is anyone still waiting for an interview or rejection?

Reactions: 6 users
Can any current students share what are the top 3 best apts to live at near medical school?

Can any current students share what are the top 3 best apts to live at near medical school?
Hey! Depends on your budget, but there are quite a few options. Some of the popular apartments within walking distance are Pierhouse, Aurora, The Slade, and MAA Harbour Island. There are more and I would definitely encourage you to compare prices between complexes to get the best deal. Heron, Asher, and Cora are the high rises on Water Street-- I don't know too many people who live there because they're pretty pricey, but they're super close to the school as well. There are also plenty of students who commute. Hope this helps!

Hey! Depends on your budget, but there are quite a few options. Some of the popular apartments within walking distance are Pierhouse, Aurora, The Slade, and MAA Harbour Island. There are more and I would definitely encourage you to compare prices between complexes to get the best deal. Heron, Asher, and Cora are the high rises on Water Street-- I don't know too many people who live there because they're pretty pricey, but they're super close to the school as well. There are also plenty of students who commute. Hope this helps!
what would you say is a normal monthly rent budget per student

what would you say is a normal monthly rent budget per student
I believe the school budgets $1400 per month in the cost of attendance for rent, utilities, etc., but definitely double check that. Most people I know have not been able to find that in channelside, but can get pretty close to it by living with a roommate. Definitely doable if commuting from a lower COL area, but then you have to add in the monthly parking and gas costs. Studios tend to run in the lower 2000s per month, maybe under 2000 if you're lucky. When I was looking, I figured out a couple of room options I liked and waited until one got down to the cheapest I'd seen.

Anyone heard anything scholarship-wise? Morsani is the most expensive option for me so far- and when I called to ask if there was a timeline they were so incredibly rude. Not a good look.

Anyone heard anything scholarship-wise? Morsani is the most expensive option for me so far- and when I called to ask if there was a timeline they were so incredibly rude. Not a good look.
What did they say when you called??

Any more concrete info on the waitlist? got placed on the waitlist after a select II.

Hi guys, quick question

For sending in letters of intent, did you guys also provide updates with the letter?

Thank you!!

Withdrawing my A, hope this opens a spot for those going through the waitlist trauma here <3

I love how I interviewed and got waitlisted here last cycle and still haven’t gotten an interview yet. Guess they aren’t vibing with my updates
Did you send an update letter or you talkin about what you've changed on your primary since last cycle?

An II would be real nice from USF. I read they don't accept pre-II updates. Anyone know if LOIs (of interest) are accepted? Or anyone actually got a pre-II update through?