University of Houston Class of 2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone who's interviewing this Thursday!!! If you have questions, feel free to post on this board as current UH pharmacy students such as myself read the messages from time to time.

Hi all,
Even though I have positive GPA and extracurricular activities. I did bad on my PCAT... even I feel disappointed in me but I hope for better outcome. Here is my stat if anyone can give any opinion where I stand for UHCOP, I appreciate it:
Verbal: 40
Reading: 40
Bio: 75
Quan: 69 < ---- now reviewing... i made mistake on easy questions, so stupid
chem: 93
composite: 71 T_T
My gpa overall is 3.85, science is 3.91
I involve in leadership experience as vice president, volunteer more than 2 years at pharmacy dept of hospital, have interaction with retail pharmacists although I am not a pharm tech... I have other pharmacy-unrelated volunteers and engagement (6 ~ 8) spreading in 2 years until now.... I know UH emphasizes on PCAT and GPA ...

UH looks at the candidate as a whole, and I believe a 71 composite PCAT is decent. The average for my class (the entering class of Fall 2011) was a 79 composite score so you're not far off. This applies to many other pharmacy schools as well, but once you receive an interview invitation, the interview itself will be the primary determining factor of whether or not a candidate receives an acceptance letter.

I know it's easy to stress when things are uncertain but just keep in mind that a 71 on the PCAT does not translate to a C or almost failing like normal undergrad courses. Your job, volunteer, and leadership experiences carry a lot of weight. Best wishes to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many people apply each year at UH (approximately)?

I don't recall the exact number but there were about 650 people that applied last year. However, this is the first year that UH is using the PharmCAS system so that could increase the number of applicants as it's a nation-wide application process.

I was just wondering if the questions during the individual interviews would be similar or identical to the interview questionnaire? I have heard that during that segment, they mainly ask you to clarify certains things that you wrote. Will they ask your random stuff like..."If you could be a bacterium...which one would you pick?" :confused: Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if the questions during the individual interviews would be similar or identical to the interview questionnaire? I have heard that during that segment, they mainly ask you to clarify certains things that you wrote. Will they ask your random stuff like..."If you could be a bacterium...which one would you pick?" :confused: Thanks.

I would be Anthrax because then I'll be the boss! :p ..

@ wtmd: your gpa is way higher than mine...only 3.65 and 3.6 for science :(

Hahahaha...I can assure you that they'll remember you if you answer that...I think you'll stand out. AdCom: Yeah, remember that guy who said Bacillus Anthracis?
I don't know about you...but I'm feeling super nervous.

Me too...I'm driving down tomorrow morning. Hopefully downtown Houston Traffic is not so bad because my aunt's house is 30 minutes away :(

Will they ask your random stuff like..."If you could be a bacterium...which one would you pick?" :confused: Thanks.

LOL! The interview process has changed from last year but they definitely did not ask a random question like that. The most random question I got was "What do you like to do for fun?"

Me too...I'm driving down tomorrow morning. Hopefully downtown Houston Traffic is not so bad because my aunt's house is 30 minutes away :(

Houston traffic can be notoriously bad depending on the time of day. Please plan accordingly especially if you're driving during the morning or afternoon rush hour times.

Thanks for all replies ... so ronnyle, good luck to you on interview day. Would you mind sharing your PCAT stat or just composite? Even though 71 is not as the worst but it is my 2nd attempt.... So it even cannot compare to those who have better stats in Sep T_T

Thanks for all replies ... so ronnyle, good luck to you on interview day. Would you mind sharing your PCAT stat or just composite? Even though 71 is not as the worst but it is my 2nd attempt.... So it even cannot compare to those who have better stats in Sep T_T

My PCAT composite is slightly better. I think you definitely will get an interview invite soon based on your stats and experiences. One of my friends got interview last year with a PCAT score of around 69 I think so you definitely have equal chance there if not higher.
VA: 53
RC: 55
Bio: 87
Chem: 96
Quant: 81
Composite: 84

I don't think you guys have much to worry about. Seems like you all have good GPA's and PCAT scores.

Good luck on your interviews!

GO COOGS!

I have submitted my PharmCAS as of late December and everything is good except for one transcript. It is delaying my application and I know the deadline for UH is 2/1. I also know it can take up to 5 weeks for PharmCAS to calculate my GPA so I was wondering as long as my materials are sent into PharmCAS by 2/1 will the application still be ok?

It may be and may be not. UH admission is rolling admission ... so your chance may be decreased if they have more adequate interviewees already. On the basis, your application will be ok since you submitted it before the deadline. But now just wait and hope...

eek, such a bleek outlook but thanks! same to you if u applied as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, did any Texas residents submit evidence as proof of their residency with the supplemental application? In the PharmCAS supplemental status tool it says that proof of state residency is not required until requested but on the website it seems that their asking for you to submit it with the supplemental app.

Just received an interview invite for Jan 21st! So excited! Anyone else receive one?

Hey! Does anyone know if UH allows you to send your prelimnary PCAT scores and Fall grades to them via email to be added to your application file until they officially receive them from PharmCAS? I know Texas Tech allows this........

Just received an interview invite for Jan 21st! So excited! Anyone else receive one?

That's awesome! I'm still waiting :(. They had everything on Nov. 17 I believe. Getting a little worried...

That's awesome! I'm still waiting :(. They had everything on Nov. 17 I believe. Getting a little worried...

Hey! Did you send in proof of Texas residence along with your supplemental application?

Hey, did any Texas residents submit evidence as proof of their residency with the supplemental application? In the PharmCAS supplemental status tool it says that proof of state residency is not required until requested but on the website it seems that their asking for you to submit it with the supplemental app.

Yep. Got an email asking me to do it.

I got the email saying they had received everything on dec 14th

Yep. Got an email asking me to do it.

Did you get an interview invite? I submitted my application materials in September and they haven't requested that I send proof of my residency. When did you submit your application?

Just got an email saying I am officially a P1 student!

After submitting my supplemental, they did not require me to send proof of my residency (for those that are wondering)

Goodluck to all those who have the next interview

After submitting my supplemental, they did not require me to send proof of my residency (for those that are wondering)

How was the interview? Lots of events planned?

If I may ask, when was your interview?

@ptrinh839 Have you submitted your supplemental application? if not i would do that asap.

congratulations!!!

I got an interview this Saturday. And they didn't request residency proof. I asked an advisor and she said it would be required for all applicants. They would contact applicants if they think proofs are necessary otherwise its not a matter.

thanks for the info everyone! Did everyone who got an interview invite also receive an email stating that UH had received all application materials and that their application is complete? I submitted everything but haven't gotten that email as of yet.

I just got an interview for 1/21!!
I also got the invitation for interview on that same day. They sent me an email with all required documents at 9pm on Sunday. They must have been working hard.

They sent me another email asking all of the proofs of residency. I did not sent those in with my supplemental.

Last edited:
thanks for the info everyone! Did everyone who got an interview invite also receive an email stating that UH had received all application materials and that their application is complete? I submitted everything but haven't gotten that email as of yet.

I never received an e-mail stating that my application was complete. However, I did receive "This email is an acknowledgement receipt of your 2012 supplemental application and the supplemental application fee. In addition, this email is an acknowledgement of Check# in the amount of $150.00.

This acknowledgement does not indicate completion of your application file.

You may confirm the receipt of application credentials to our office by periodically checking the 'status' page of your PharmCAS application." You can check if they received everything on on Pharmcas or you can give them a call. They were very nice when I called them.

As for the interviews...I had mine 4 days ago. It almost took 4 hours. It was nice to chat with many P1s. Individual interview was very relaxed. They only ask questions about yourself (which shouldn't be difficult to answer) and they really try to make you feel comfortable. I felt it was very laidback and conversational. As for the group activity, don't be overly-agressive nor passive-I know it's easier said than done. If you want to say something, remember to back it up and do not make others look bad. It's pretty much you and a group of friends got into a messy situation due to bad decisions and the goal is to find the best solution. No essay to write. And so the waiting game begins for me....Good luck to those who are interviewing next.

I've completed all my pre-requisite, except for 1 class. Do you think pharmacy school care how many classes I take in Spring? I need to work for next fall

I've completed all my pre-requisite, except for 1 class. Do you think pharmacy school care how many classes I take in Spring? I need to work for next fall

Some schools require sciences and math courses to be completed by spring.
Others don't. Good luck!

My PharmCAS finally mailed out on yesterday. Submitted my supplemental application directly. The waiting game begins!

I submitted my supplemental application back in September. I haven't heard anything from UH. *le sad

I got an interview this Saturday. And they didn't request residency proof. I asked an advisor and she said it would be required for all applicants. They would contact applicants if they think proofs are necessary otherwise its not a matter.

Saturday 21st? What time?

There was a semester where I only took 2 classes. No one from the pharmacy schools I interviewed with asked me why I didn't take a full load that semester. My interviewers only had my essay responses and resume in front of them. UH doesn't require the resume but some other schools do. None of my interviewers had my PCAT score or transcript.

Are you planning on working during pharmacy school when you said that you need to work for next fall? It is generally not recommended to work during the first year of pharmacy school until you've figured out if you can handle the course load. The majority of my classmates who work (including myself) only do so only a very limited basis such as one day a month or one day every two weeks.

For those who already got accepted to the program, how long did it take for you to get that acceptance email. I know they said 3-5 weeks, but that's really a long time from now.

For those who already got accepted to the program, how long did it take for you to get that acceptance email. I know they said 3-5 weeks, but that's really a long time from now.

I was wondering the same. One P1 student told me yesterday that it took him two weeks for the email. Hope it arrives soon.

I was wondering the same. One P1 student told me yesterday that it took him two weeks for the email. Hope it arrives soon.

I know right!? The anticipation is definitely taking it toll, but it is what it is. Hopefully we will get in. :cool: