University of Houston COM -- Rumors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specterMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who may or may not know -- The University of Houston is pending preliminary accreditation in the spring for their first fall class in 2020. Does anyone know any information regarding when we can apply to this school?

I've heard that applications will open in the spring, but I can't find anything on the website that says so. I'm curious that the first class will be "pre-selected" just like TCU/UNTHSC was.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The class wasn't "pre-selected", however TCU students were told that 20% of spots were reserved for TCU graduates a year prior to the medical school opening, which is what I think he's talking about.
Yes this is what I'm referring to. Sorry I was mistaken on the amount of TCU students that had seats reserved for the inaugural class.

Didnt they say they were hoping to get accreditation before February? I have been watching this since last summer since I am super interested in the school, but am starting to wonder what their application cycle is going to look like if they dont get accreditation soon... At what point will they just postpone to a first class of 2021 instead? Also is a delayed accreditation a bad sign in regards to the reputation of the school??

Didnt they say they were hoping to get accreditation before February? I have been watching this since last summer since I am super interested in the school, but am starting to wonder what their application cycle is going to look like if they dont get accreditation soon... At what point will they just postpone to a first class of 2021 instead? Also is a delayed accreditation a bad sign in regards to the reputation of the school??

It’s not delayed. They’ve been expecting to hear back at the next quarterly LCME meeting, which is being held next week 2/10 thru 2/12. After this meeting they should get approval to start recruiting for the class and TMDSAS will contact everyone in EY2020 to offer them a chance to apply to UH. TMDSAS has said UH will interview in February and March this year and that they have to adhere to other TMDSAS deadlines for the year (which I assume is related to the May 15 deadline of offering acceptances to students who have multiple acceptances.)

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
this is crazy confusing. So this school will have 2 months til fill these seats? Even after match day? If you matched already could you even get an interview here?

And these new schools claim that they’re being built to provide primary care doctors. But how do they actually go about doing that? All 30 students could end up wanting to be surgeons by the end of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
And these new schools claim that they’re being built to provide primary care doctors. But how do they actually go about doing that? All 30 students could end up wanting to be surgeons by the end of it.

LCME standards dictate that a school can't coerce/force students into any one specialty (or rather, can't prevent them from going into any field they desire). They also have to meet LCME minimum reqs for rotations in different fields. They can however, tailor their school's culture towards a passion and offer extensive elective opportunities in primary care fields that they hope will encourage students to go into primary care.

They're also banking on their class graduating debt-free will make their graduates more amenable towards entering lower paying fields in primary care.

Reactions: 3 users
@wysdoc Does the short interview season mean they probably allocate a decent amount of their seats for U of H students like 10/30 or something?

@wysdoc Does the short interview season mean they probably allocate a decent amount of their seats for U of H students like 10/30 or something?

They will have 0 trouble interviewing an adequate number of qualified applicants regardless of undergrad institution. Especially considering that anyone they interview is electing to apply to UH after the match has already occurred and in all likelihood would enroll if accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
LCME standards dictate that a school can't coerce/force students into any one specialty (or rather, can't prevent them from going into any field they desire). They also have to meet LCME minimum reqs for rotations in different fields. They can however, tailor their school's culture towards a passion and offer extensive elective opportunities in primary care fields that they hope will encourage students to go into primary care.

They're also banking on their class graduating debt-free will make their graduates more amenable towards entering lower paying fields in primary care.

They’re also looking to recruit certain types of students:

“The medical school will use a holistic admissions process that not only factors in Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores and grade point average, but also carefully considers predictors for those most likely to pursue primary care. Those predictors include:

• individuals who have family members in service-oriented careers
  • those pursuing medicine as a second career
  • candidates who are African American, Hispanic or from rural areas
  • individuals with previous experience in primary care in another capacity”
Source: $5 Million Gift from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas to Fund Scholarships for UH Medical Students; Create Pipeline Program

To answer your questions, yes You can apply even if you’ve matched.

Last edited:
Can we apply if we matched? Will it be only open to those who have already filled out TMDSAS for this year?

Can we apply if we matched? Will it be only open to those who have already filled out TMDSAS for this year?
Apparently you can, because of the off-cycle timing of applications opening up for this TMDSAS school.
Your 2019-2020 TMDSAS app will be used, making it quick because you have already filled it out.

Since they said they will abide by other TMDSAS deadlines, though, you could only go to U of Houston if they accepted you before May 15th.
If you applied but they hadn't made a decision about you before that deadline date, they could not offer a spot to someone who already had a TMDSAS acceptance.

Last edited:
Lcme accreditation is approved as of today and the admissions and curriculum website is up! So exciting.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone received a secondary yet?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So will we automatically be sent the secondary email or will we have to add UH to our TMDSAS app like Sam Houston

So will we automatically be sent the secondary email or will we have to add UH to our TMDSAS app like Sam Houston
Everyone add UH to your TMDSAS app.
ONLY people who already have an active 2019-2020 app in the system will be able to apply.
CHECK the pre-requisites and be sure you meet them all, as there is no time to do more classes.

I have no inside information on this new school but you ALL should go read their web page, pre-reqs, mission statement before you do anything.

EDITED to say that people with an active TMDSAS app in the system for 2019-2020 will receive an email from TMDSAS within a few days with instructions on how to add U of Houston to their schools to apply to.

U of Houston will read your primary apps and selectively send out emails to some people for secondary essays.

Official thread here: 2019-2020 University of Houston

Last edited:
How did you even submit your primary?
GO ADD THE SCHOOL to your TMDSAS list of schools to send your TMDSAS app to.
GO READ the material at the link above and read the FAQS. All this is covered there.

Sorry about the use of capital letters y'all, but be an organized mature person and do a little fact finding :rolleyes:

• Love
Everyone add UH to your TMDSAS app.
ONLY people who already have an active 2019-2020 app in the system will be able to apply.
CHECK the pre-requisites and be sure you meet them all, as there is no time to do more classes.

I have no inside information on this new school but you ALL should go read their web page, pre-reqs, mission statement before you do anything.

You can't add the school. From my understanding, everyone who has an active application will be considered already "submitted"

GO ADD THE SCHOOL to your TMDSAS list of schools to send your TMDSAS app to.
GO READ the material at the link above and read the FAQS. All this is covered there.

Sorry about the use of capital letters y'all, but be an organized mature person and do a little fact finding :rolleyes:
With Sam Houston, TMDSAS sent us an email saying it was available to add. It doesn't look like the school is available to add yet on TMDSAS

You can't add the school. From my understanding, everyone who has an active application will be considered already "submitted"
Incorrect...you have to message TMDSAS through the portal and request them to send it to UH.

Source: I was an adult and called TMDSAS like 2 weeks ago and asked them what the method would be.

With Sam Houston, TMDSAS sent us an email saying it was available to add. It doesn't look like the school is available to add yet on TMDSAS

This was my confusion as well. When Sam Houston was added, it showed up as unchecked in the list of schools we applied to.

Incorrect...you have to message TMDSAS through the portal and request them to send it to UH.

Source: I was an adult and called TMDSAS like 2 weeks ago and asked them what the method would be.

No need to be condescending. We messaged TMDSAS for Sam Houston too, but they showed up as a school we haven't applied to yet in our "select schools" tab. We haven't seen that yet for UH, and there has been no communication from TMDSAS regarding UH being open to applications now. It's reasonable to think they've been accredited, but haven't been officially added to TMDSAS right now.

This was my confusion as well. When Sam Houston was added, it showed up as unchecked in the list of schools we applied to

YES you guys TMDSAS is going to kill us all... Seriously everyone needs to chillax lol. I will call when they open at 1 and ask. The school isn't even on TMDSAS application yet to add. Emailing them is pointless because UH doesn't exist as a school to apply to right now. With Sam Houston, an email went out saying it was available. You sent a message in the portal. They added you. It is not available to apply to yet!

No need to be condescending. We messaged TMDSAS for Sam Houston too, but they showed up as a school we haven't applied to yet in our "select schools" tab. We haven't seen that yet for UH, and there has been no communication from TMDSAS regarding UH being open to applications now. It's reasonable to think they've been accredited, but haven't been officially added to TMDSAS right now.

I wasn't intending to be condescending. I was trying to curb disinformation or false assumptions that staying pat would automatically forward your application to the school, which is false. I just don't want any other readers reading that and thinking they don't need to do anything in order to be considered.

I wasn't intending to be condescending. I was trying to curb disinformation or false assumptions that staying pat would automatically forward your application to the school, which is false. I just don't want any other readers reading that and thinking they don't need to do anything in order to be considered.
While they won't automatically forward your app, it is safe to assume that the process will be similar to SHSU. An email will be sent to everyone saying it is now open for applications. It will appear on the school list on TMDSAS. You will message TMDSAS and ask to be added if you want to apply. I will find out for sure in about 17 min.

Reactions: 1 users
OK MY FRIENDS.. IMPORTANT INFO HERE lol

I called TMDSAS and "adulted" as we are calling it.... They will send an email saying UH is accepting applications, just like they did with SHSU. You will then go on your TMDSAS application and send a message requesting that they add the school for you. The email will be going out in the next few days. We can all relax now.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks y’all!!

Also just want to note that I posted the UH website earlier because all of the answers to these questions are posted there lol... including the bit about TMDSAS and sending in a primary/secondary. Folks should definitely read the website thoroughly. A lot of questions I had were on there including these below.

FAQs
  1. TMDSAS will notify all active applicants that UH College of Medicine can now accept applications and provide instructions on how to add UH College of Medicine to your school list. If you have already been accepted at another school, you are still eligible to apply.
  2. Qualified applicants will receive an email invitation to submit a secondary application. The email will contain a link to the submission portal along with the instructions. There is no fee for the secondary application for EY2020 cycle.
  3. Because there are more qualified applicants than available seats, our admissions team will carefully review each application for indicators that you align with the mission and goals of UH College of Medicine. Once applications have been reviewed, selected applicants will receive an email invitation to interview.
  4. Interviews will be held in March and April 2020. All offers will be made according to the TMDSAS timeline.
Source:

Last edited: