2022-2023 University of Houston (Fertitta)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondering, what will our TMDSAS page look like at 8 AM if we do get a match? Is it just going to have the school name? Will we also get an email from the school at 8 AM?
Read about it here: TMDSAS Match and Rolling Admissions
Your message, in the Pending actions area, will read either
"You have matched to Cowboy Medical School"
or
"No Match"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
So they interviewed roughly 224 applicants this cycle (16 people per month and 2 interview dates per month so 16*2= 32. And they had 7 months of interviews. 32 * 7= 224). What percent of people are expected to get in through the match? Does anyone have an estimate or know the numbers from previous years?

Just trying to figure out if I should stay hopeful or put a deposit down to another school I was accepted to. Thanks in advance!

So they interviewed roughly 224 applicants this cycle (16 people per month and 2 interview dates per month so 16*2= 32. And they had 7 months of interviews. 32 * 7= 224). What percent of people are expected to get in through the match? Does anyone have an estimate or know the numbers from previous years?

Just trying to figure out if I should stay hopeful or put a deposit down to another school I was accepted to. Thanks in advance!
I assume you have a DO school offer that requires a deposit soon? If the deposit deadline is after March 3, you could wait to see how TMDSAS match treats you.
If you don’t match, put down your deposit and see if you make any TX school waitlists

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also got full tuition here for all 4 years :) !!!
Quick question, fr those who got offered full tuition (congrats btw!!), did you just fill out the scholarship form? or did you send a negotiation email as well?

Quick question, fr those who got offered full tuition (congrats btw!!), did you just fill out the scholarship form? or did you send a negotiation email as well?
What is a negotiation email?

What is a negotiation email?
If I am not mistaken it is an email you send to the admissions or financial department of the school in which you discuss the possibility of them offering more money for your tuition. Typically you send it to your top choice school (if accepted) and tell them you would love to attend there but it is economically challenging for you. Typically when you do this you have multiple offers from other schools that tend to be cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
If I am not mistaken it is an email you send to the admissions or financial department of the school in which you discuss the possibility of them offering more money for your tuition. Typically you send it to your top choice school (if accepted) and tell them you would love to attend there but it is economically challenging for you. Typically when you do this you have multiple offers from other schools that tend to be cheaper.
Cool. I thought Fertitta offered you another form asking you whether you received other offers and whether you want to negotiate.

It is kind of hard to negotiate unless your offer is from another school OOS since you had to list them as number 1 and go on to negotiate whereas the their timing was impeccable in terms of forcing you to rank them as number 1 during match since they sent it on the day it was due.

Reactions: 1 users
Cool. I thought Fertitta offered you another form asking you whether you received other offers and whether you want to negotiate.

It is kind of hard to negotiate unless your offer is from another school OOS since you had to list them as number 1 and go on to negotiate whereas the their timing was impeccable in terms of forcing you to rank them as number 1 during match since they sent it on the day it was due.
Im really unaware of what Fertitta offers, that is why I was asking about whether those who received scholarship offers only completed the scholarship form or something else.

And I was explaining the general concept of a negotiation email. :)

Thank you!

Yes, I only did that. There was no time to do negotiation emails since they sent the offer the day rankings were due lol. So because of that, I personally chose to do nothing with that information and leave my ranking list as is!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm not sure if anyone has hit on this before, but is it true that they have mandatory lecture attendance? I've been warned by a lot of med students that this is a big negative, so I'm kind of scared, especially bc a majority of med schools don't have that kind of policy

I'm not sure if anyone has hit on this before, but is it true that they have mandatory lecture attendance? I've been warned by a lot of med students that this is a big negative, so I'm kind of scared, especially bc a majority of med schools don't have that kind of policy
Yes, it’s mandatory attendance almost every day of the week. I was told that often lectures are prerecorded and the mandatory session the next day is group work or discussion.

Yes, it’s mandatory attendance almost every day of the week. I was told that often lectures are prerecorded and the mandatory session the next day is group work or discussion.
Yeah I've heard from some of the MS1's that its not the move lol, hopefully things change by the time we start

Yeah I've heard from some of the MS1's that its not the move lol, hopefully things change by the time we start
I doubt it will change soon. They just opened their new building which is built around the in-person instruction. Admin seemed very determined to stick with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
do they usually send an email notifying they are not extending an invite or that their interview cycle is done?
I received a pre II R in late Jan two cycles ago. They may send correspondence after match day this year.

do they usually send an email notifying they are not extending an invite or that their interview cycle is done?
ALL interviews had to be over by Feb 17 because in-state TMDSAS applicants had to rank their schools by that day.

This will sound blunt, but you don’t seem to have informed yourself well about the application process.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
I matched! Prepare to be sick of me!!

So where is the accepted student chat and etc?

How relieved I feel is soooo hard to explain!

• Love
  • Haha
No match, interview in Feb. Congratulations to those who matched!

• Care
Congrats to those who matched! You’ll be added to the GroupMe by one of the faculty members soon enough.

For those who matched today - it hasn’t updated in their portal system yet right? I haven’t gotten an email from them yet either^

No note yet, friend of mine said it was school specific and that it took a day before he got an email when he got accepted last year

Did not match either, congrats to all!!

• Care
When I prematched there was a welcome email 1-2 days after. I’d expect the same. Don’t worry - you’re in!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed in febuary but the school hasn't updated my status so I did not see the link on my appliction to rank the school or see the match results. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I interviewed in febuary but the school hasn't updated my status so I did not see the link on my appliction to rank the school or see the match results. Is anyone else having the same problem?
1. Are you a Texas resident? Only Texas residents participate in the Match.
2. Did you log in to your TMDSAS application to try to rank this school before the deadline of February 17th?

1. Are you a Texas resident? Only Texas residents participate in the Match.
2. Did you log in to your TMDSAS application to try to rank this school before the deadline of February 17th?
Yes, I am a Texas resident. The "Pending Action" tab never showed up on my application after the interview for me to rank the school. It says the tab shows up when the school updates my status to "interviewed"

• Wow
Yes, I am a Texas resident. The "Pending Action" tab never showed up on my application after the interview for me to rank the school. It says the tab shows up when the school updates my status to "interviewed"
Unfortunately, I think you missed the chance to participate in the match this year, at least with respect to U of Houston, because the deadline for ranking is long past and the match itself has already occurred on March 3.
Applicants bear the responsibility for following up on things that they need, and for meeting the deadlines which are prominently published everywhere on the TMDSAS Guide and web pages.

If you would like to let TMDSAS administration know what happened, you can do so, but I am 99.99% sure it won't change the situation for you this year.

To give a complete answer for others who might face a similar situation:
1. If you notice that a school has not showed up on your TMDSAS portal so you can rank it, contact the school directly and ask them to please update your status so you can rank them. This would have to be done before the ranking deadline.
2. If you have not ranked any schools by the ranking deadline, you are not in the Match.
3. In this case, did the school let down @patel210 and maybe others by not consistently updating the portals after interviews?
Maybe. Still, the applicant bears the responsibility to contact the school, or if they get no reply, to contact TMDSAS for help before the important deadlines.

• Wow
Was this your only interview?

• Wow
Can any current students comment on what the classroom instruction is like? I believe attendance is mandatory. Does UH use flip-classroom technique? How many classes do M1s take during the first semester? I’m trying to get an idea of what my average day would look like. Thanks in advance!

Man how is my imposter syndrome still wreaking havoc on me... I know people haven't gotten their official acceptance email from UH, but I keep sitting here wondering if the reason I didn't get mine is because they made a mistake.

Man how is my imposter syndrome still wreaking havoc on me... I know people haven't gotten their official acceptance email from UH, but I keep sitting here wondering if the reason I didn't get mine is because they made a mistake.
Please stop worrying! I know it's hard to relent after this long year

It’s just the weekend. All my communications from them have been during the week.

in Texas, yes. I have other acceptances.
Since you interviewed late and you believe they never loaded tmdsas to allow you to select you should reach out to the school directly to see if they will place you on waitlist.

We had someone figure out A&M dropped out of their selection list, made a big deal about it and got both TMDSAS and A&M to add it manually in the background during the match. If you made no complaints during the match process and waited until now, not sure how they will perceive your challenge.

any current students willing to answer questions?

I have quite a few and don’t want to spam.

Will do @texasvandy

I’m sorry if it’s a lot, now that there is a reality where I will attend, I have lots of questions:

1. recommendations for living, I understand that UH is not in the safest area, it possible to live close by and be in an affordable apartment (I want to be close enough to avoid houston traffic, possibly take public transit if it’s relatively safe)
2. how dangerous is it to you? I know these things Can be exaggerated
3. How are living expenses looking? Average apartment? Is it affordable to live alone, rent prices have skyrocketed where I currently live
4. I noticed all the scholarship deadlines passed, were we automatically considered for those? i am sure those matched afterward could benefit from assistance
5. How have your rotations been? I hate HCA from a current nurse perspective, I’m trying to change my mindset and know it will be different in a different role. Are the doctors open to students? Do you rotate in only HCA facilities?
6. Do you feel as though you are exposed to fields outside of primary care? Although I may not go into anything else, I would like the exposure
7. Do you feel like there is too much competition in the space due to all the other medical schools? Finding research and opportunities
8. I really liked other programs because I didn’t have to take a year off to get a MPH but it was integrated in a way to get it done, is this being considered? In my interview they stated that we would take a year off to complete.
9. I’m cool with mandatory attendance because I need structure BUT are the lectures beneficial?
10. Are you given third party resources?
11. What is included in our tuition?
12. NBME exams?
13. How do you like the small class size? Since it’s a smaller program, how are attaining resources?

This is all that has currently crossed my mind. I’m going to do more digging on the website as well since I can’t remember everything from my interview.

Here are your public transportation options. We seem to have train service to University of Houston although only a student can tell you how close the med school is when traveling by train.

In theory UH offers a lot more research opportunities since all of the other schools are close by to work with (engineering, sciences, business, law, nursing, optometry, pharmacy).