2022-2023 University of Houston (Fertitta)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current students comment on what the classroom instruction is like? I believe attendance is mandatory. Does UH use flip-classroom technique? How many classes do M1s take during the first semester? I’m trying to get an idea of what my average day would look like. Thanks in advance!
Will do @texasvandy

I’m sorry if it’s a lot, now that there is a reality where I will attend, I have lots of questions:

1. recommendations for living, I understand that UH is not in the safest area, it possible to live close by and be in an affordable apartment (I want to be close enough to avoid houston traffic, possibly take public transit if it’s relatively safe)
2. how dangerous is it to you? I know these things Can be exaggerated
3. How are living expenses looking? Average apartment? Is it affordable to live alone, rent prices have skyrocketed where I currently live
4. I noticed all the scholarship deadlines passed, were we automatically considered for those? i am sure those matched afterward could benefit from assistance
5. How have your rotations been? I hate HCA from a current nurse perspective, I’m trying to change my mindset and know it will be different in a different role. Are the doctors open to students? Do you rotate in only HCA facilities?
6. Do you feel as though you are exposed to fields outside of primary care? Although I may not go into anything else, I would like the exposure
7. Do you feel like there is too much competition in the space due to all the other medical schools? Finding research and opportunities
8. I really liked other programs because I didn’t have to take a year off to get a MPH but it was integrated in a way to get it done, is this being considered? In my interview they stated that we would take a year off to complete.
Hey gravy train! Congrats on the match. You will be added to the group me soon (if u didn’t pre match and have been added already).

1. We have an apartment list for incoming students that’ll be sent in the group me
2. Our campus is quite literally staffed 24/7 with security both inside and outside. Security guards frequently walk students to their car. Not because anything has happened but bc we are in third ward (I love the area) and it just is what the area is.

3. The market is bonkers right now. I would highly suggest finding a roommate. I do have classmates that somehow found a crazy one bed one room deal. But it will take a lot of digging.

4. A good amount of students were handed scholarships after the match. But you DO have to fill out the scholarship application. Reach out to financial aid.

5. I’m not there yet so I can’t comment. Expanding rotations is an active effort for administration. We actually are asking about an update on this in 2 days. For what has been said for HCA, the teaching aspect is still intact. The teaching faculty have taught before at other places (like most in academia). By the team you are a MS3 - who knows it HCA will be your core rotation.

6. This is where UH has stepped up big time recently . We have various specialties speak to us every few weeks. The school is open to freedom of choice while retaining its primary care focus. Within 3-4 months I’ve ran into a couple subspecialty surgeons that have just joined as affiliates to UH. So this is actively expanding. Each organ block has has a specialty clinician (like dermatologist for integumentary) that is our faculty so that exposure is there too. Ultimately… you will get what you seek out. I’m pursuing a higher competitive specialty and have been connected well.

7. Not really. The place is so large with so many opportunities. You could go to main UH and find a research opportunity under a rock if you wanted to. I personally have had success with opportunities at baylor med, 4-5 classmates joining MD Anderson, another joining the heart institute, and another having success with a national orthopedic research program. That’s within my close circle so who knows. Anything is possible if advocate for yourself! With that being said, we have a quite a few projects going at UH medicine. One thing is- once you join these spaces within the houston community, you’re officially on proving grounds. UH has a ? Beside it in terms of who we are and what we bring to the table in research. Upperclassmen have done well, it’s up to you to be on your stuff when you get this opportunities.

8. I’m not sure but I can get back to you about it if you PM me.

9. Really depends on the person and the instructor. This is highly variable. Some people are thriving with it and some are not- which is to be expected. This is an ongoing discussion.

10. Yes , uworld , lecturio, boards and beyond, sketchy, etc.

11. Gonna defer because I think there’s a LOT lol

12. Every exam after anatomy is NBME. expect it to be tough and similar to step/third party. Pretty much the standard across most med schools I believe (can be wrong)

13. A lot easier to network and speak to faculty that are often already connected in the community. Easy to get responses and 1 on 1 instruction if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone else who matched received any communication from UHCOM? I haven’t revived any communication from them which is very odd. Given what patel210 said, I’m getting nervous that a mistake was made on UHCOM’s part during the match?

Has anyone else who matched received any communication from UHCOM? I haven’t revived any communication from them which is very odd. Given what patel210 said, I’m getting nervous that a mistake was made on UHCOM’s part during the match?
I have also matched at UH yet haven’t received any communication from them. I’m starting to think the same thing… is anyone else experiencing that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, me as well, I don't think anybody has received anything yet. I think we are all gonna get emails tomorrow hopefully! If I remember correctly, last cycle the SDN shows they received an email on March 8th after matching on the 4th. I'm nervous just like you guys but the match is a full fleshed out system that UH doesn't have control over so I'm going to assume it isn't a mistake. Unless there is anyone who has matched and already received an email?

Reactions: 1 users
It’s only been 1 workday, but I know you guys are all eager! It will come soon
UTSW has not sent anything either. People are fretting a bit too much but it is just a delay in the letter, not that they made a mistake in matching you. :)

edit: looks like some people are claiming to have received UTSW letter and they are advising to check portal. Does UH have a portal where you can check for communications?

I prematched here and i remember there being a matriculation tab in the UH portal. However, I no longer see that. Is anyone else having same problem?

UTSW has not sent anything either. People are fretting a bit too much but it is just a delay in the letter, not that they made a mistake in matching you. :)

edit: looks like some people are claiming to have received UTSW letter and they are advising to check portal. Does UH have a portal where you can check for communications?
There are no updates in my application portal. But I bet you are correct. We may just be too anxious right now!

I prematched here and i remember there being a matriculation tab in the UH portal. However, I no longer see that. Is anyone else having same problem?
I assume it was taken down to update it for the current year. All the deadlines were from the previous cycle and text needed updating.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how to turn in transcripts for TMDSAS?
Go to parchment or student clearing house and have them send official transcripts to TMDSAS. When you choose recipient it should say "TEXAS MEDICAL & DENTAL SCHOOLS APPLICATION SERVICE". It may take a couple days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, I think they're in the process, probably by tomorrow. At least now we know we actually got in lol:rofl:

Reactions: 3 users
Are scholarships going to be available to students who matched in? Or were they only available to students who pre-matched?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anybody's portal updated yet or has anybody received an email to join the groupme?

Still got nothing on my end except the EY Match results email lol
Same but we are good.

I’m not going to lie, it’s making me anxious but we got this! To me, it won’t feel official until it’s like in writing and a longer email lol

• Wow
Are scholarships going to be available to students who matched in? Or were they only available to students who pre-matched?
Hey I asked this question above and was given the advice to contact financial aid. I haven’t done so, I don’t feel comfortable contacting them until I’m in-in

I don’t know if you’ve done so, but I filled out my FAFSA because that’s how they determine most of the scholarships. At least that’s what it sounded like in the financial aid/scholarships page

Hey I asked this question above and was given the advice to contact financial aid. I haven’t done so, I don’t feel comfortable contacting them until I’m in-in

I don’t know if you’ve done so, but I filled out my FAFSA because that’s how they determine most of the scholarships. At least that’s what it sounded like in the financial aid/scholarships page
You’re “in-in,” I know it feels unbelievable but there is no mistake. The first school I got into didn’t send another email for another 1-2 months after the initial one.

My point is, scholarship applications are still accepted and there’s no reason to delay it until you receive a longer email. You risk them distributing scholarships to accepted students who applied earlier.

Those of you that prematched and already have this information potentially....

When do classes start/orientation? I need to give my work an early notice so we can plan my experiments for the next couple months. I only see a calendar for last year on the website.

Those of you that prematched and already have this information potentially....

When do classes start/orientation? I need to give my work an early notice so we can plan my experiments for the next couple months. I only see a calendar for last year on the website.
We noticed last year that UofH had an additional 2+ weeks (not sure exact duration) of orientation in June that was something like introduction to medicine and doing some specific topics each week.

We noticed last year that UofH had an additional 2+ weeks (not sure exact duration) of orientation in June that was something like introduction to medicine and doing some specific topics each week.
Yes, it's a pre-orientation program for selected students (as well as anyone else who wants to join in). It's non-graded and goes through a number of topics, but focuses on anatomy. I believe the discussed date for this year is 6/10.

Yes, it's a pre-orientation program for selected students (as well as anyone else who wants to join in). It's non-graded and goes through a number of topics, but focuses on anatomy. I believe the discussed date for this year is 6/10.
When you say "selected students," do you mean we have to apply to this program? What qualifications are needed?

When you say "selected students," do you mean we have to apply to this program? What qualifications are needed?
It's internally decided who they invite to participate. The students I talked to who participated said it felt very helpful to help them transition into medical school. The students who didn't do it still felt comfortable starting.

I'd imagine it's some analysis of MCAT/GPA

Is it in person or online? I may not be able to be in-person by that time. Does anybody know around when the full "real" orientation is going to be?

Is it in person or online? I may not be able to be in-person by that time. Does anybody know around when the full "real" orientation is going to be?
I saw pictures of in person. I was advising someone last year about their waitlist and the school was not responding to their calls in June. We saw FB had these orientation pictures where they said most of the admitted class showed up which kind of made it clear no positions would open up.

Yikes! That’s early. Good to have an idea

Finally got home to look over my notes.

The current plan is prematriculation starting 6/12 for those students. It’s an intro to anatomy through prosecutions (true dissection only starts once classes begin). It’s led by rising MS2s and there are some temporary housing options for people who haven’t signed a lease yet somewhere else.

• Wow
Is it mandatory to attend? I really would love to be there but I might not be able to be in houston that early. Please lmk if anybody has that info!

Finally got home to look over my notes.

The current plan is prematriculation starting 6/12 for those students. It’s an intro to anatomy through prosecutions (true dissection only starts once classes begin). It’s led by rising MS2s and there are some temporary housing options for people who haven’t signed a lease yet somewhere else.
Seems like an amazing opportunity to learn anatomy while also making friends with some current students. This looks like a lot of fun. Too bad it's only for a select group of students. Do we know how many people they will pick to participate in this?

Seems like an amazing opportunity to learn anatomy while also making friends with some current students. This looks like a lot of fun. Too bad it's only for a select group of students. Do we know how many people they will pick to participate in this?
I would have thought all new admittees are invited. The pictures accompanying last years preorientation said it was attended by almost the whole incoming class.

I was told 30 will be invited and they have some wiggle room to fit in others who may be interested. Last year was their first time matriculating more than 30 students and I guess a lot were interested.

Does anyone know how soon they will add us to the GroupMe? I want to figure out my housing situation and would like to start planning things out soon.

Does anyone know when we’ll get our official offer letters yet 😬

Just making sure- y’all that matched haven’t received offer letters either yet right 😭

Just making sure- y’all that matched haven’t received offer letters either yet right 😭
You are correcto! Just the match email. I’m feeling the same but as someone mentioned, they have a lot to put into order after matching everyone, lots of stuff to organize and etc.

Also, the email mentions that we will get added to the groupme and all other things soon, I assume in the coming weeks rather than days.

You’re not alone.