2022-2023 University of Houston (Fertitta)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I matched and I was added to the groupme
….I am in the group me lol. I just checked it (I haven’t used group me in a year or so lol)

Sorry 😭

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received a financial aid package? Or any emails after the match email?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update I received, after emailing admissions, as an OOS candidate:

“At this time, the admissions committee has already submitted and received their match results. Currently you could be on the waitlist, but we can’t advise if you are or not and if you are, where on the waitlist you are. There are updates that could occur between now and May due to those that have been offered admissions may decide to defer or decline and if they do, then we move down on the waitlist to offer the next person an admissions offer.”

Update I received, after emailing admissions, as an OOS candidate:

“At this time, the admissions committee has already submitted and received their match results. Currently you could be on the waitlist, but we can’t advise if you are or not and if you are, where on the waitlist you are. There are updates that could occur between now and May due to those that have been offered admissions may decide to defer or decline and if they do, then we move down on the waitlist to offer the next person an admissions offer.”
The vaguest email ever!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The vaguest email ever!

You might or might not exist and you may be part of a simulation in the universe.

Literally! If there is one step above rejection and complete lack of interest, this is it! I guess I’ll take it as a win, since I would technically be only one of six OOS candidates that could go — unless I’m wrong about the Texas law being a max 10% for OOS acceptance.

Let’s hope for a miracle!

Literally! If there is one step above rejection and complete lack of interest, this is it! I guess I’ll take it as a win, since I would technically be only one of six OOS candidates that could go — unless I’m wrong about the Texas law being a max 10% for OOS acceptance.

Let’s hope for a miracle!
There are 6 OOS seats in theory. Depending on when someone actually drops out, it may or may not be offered to OOS candidate. From what I have seen in Texas schools, some have fewer than 10% and my interpretation of that is that when OOS people drop out in the last minute (lets say late May) the schools will decide to offer it to someone from Texas who has no admission as opposed to offering it to someone from OOS who might be on waitlist but the school does not necessarily want to go to one person at a time to check on OOS candidates when they have a pool with no admission in state.

The school is allowed a max of 10%, they dont necessarily have to have 10%.

There are 6 OOS seats in theory. Depending on when someone actually drops out, it may or may not be offered to OOS candidate. From what I have seen in Texas schools, some have fewer than 10% and my interpretation of that is that when OOS people drop out in the last minute (lets say late May) the schools will decide to offer it to someone from Texas who has no admission as opposed to offering it to someone from OOS who might be on waitlist but the school does not necessarily want to go to one person at a time to check on OOS candidates when they have a pool with no admission in state.

The school is allowed a max of 10%, they dont necessarily have to have 10%.
This is what I was thinking. Definitely a long-shot being OOS, especially this late. Appreciate the information!

Has there been anyone else who's IS that got a waitlist email? I'm trying to gauge how much hope to hold out...

They just sent an email that pretty much said "you are still on the waitlist but here is the Master's Program opportunity in case you don't make it" is that a pretty standard email ? I didn't even know I was on the waitlist so I am confused if I should take that email serious or just assume everyone that interviewed but didn't match are put on the waitlist automatically

Has there been anyone else who's IS that got a waitlist email? I'm trying to gauge how much hope to hold out...
is the waitlist email the one I mentioned above ? or a different email only stating you are on the waitlist ?

They just sent an email that pretty much said "you are still on the waitlist but here is the Master's Program opportunity in case you don't make it" is that a pretty standard email ? I didn't even know I was on the waitlist so I am confused if I should take that email serious or just assume everyone that interviewed but didn't match are put on the waitlist automatically
I interviewed here and didn’t match and haven’t heard any communication from them

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that they just told you that you were on the waitlist seems entirely contradictory to the "policy" described in their reply to @watericefood 's email.

The fact that they just told you that you were on the waitlist seems entirely contradictory to the "policy" described in their reply to @watericefood 's email.
I about replied saying something about that haha. I kinda just figured it may be different since I’m OOS. For example, if it was true that IS people that didn’t match are on the waitlist by default, then OOS ones not accepted could be in a very different list since there’s no match — beyond however they would typically be separated.

Obviously I’m just guessing, but regardless, all of it still seems vague without super concise answers.

Yes I agree, also I feel like the focus of this email wasn’t even to let me know I’m on the waitlist but to try to sell me on the Master’s Program. I’m guessing all the IS students that didn’t match are on the waitlist by default so they just mentioned it in the email as if it was nothing important

Has the match list been released anywhere? Haven't been able to find it online if anyone would be willing to share!

Do you plan to come and if so welcome to Houston.
I’m going to wait to see any offer they might have but realistically unlikely. I’ve got an A to an instate CA MD school at this point

I’m going to wait to see any offer they might have but realistically unlikely. I’ve got an A to an instate CA MD school at this point
Most of Cal schools are old and established and so they might be better for now as a choice.

Just withdrew my acceptance to attend a program out of state. Very hard decision but I am happy that someone will get this spot off the waitlist.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Accepted off the waitlist today (in-state student), received a lovely phone call. Have 2 weeks to make a decision. Interviewed in September last year, didn’t match here (matched to a school I ranked lower), didn’t receive any communication after the match about being waitlisted or anything so this was a pleasant surprise!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist today (in-state student), received a lovely phone call. Have 2 weeks to make a decision. Interviewed in September last year, didn’t match here (matched to a school I ranked lower), didn’t receive any communication after the match about being waitlisted or anything so this was a pleasant surprise!
Congrats! Do you think you'll accept?

Withdrawing my acceptance here. Hopeful that it goes to one of the folks patiently waiting!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
got an offer from UHCOM this evening. Not sure what to do since I already hold a spot at TTUHSC Lubbock. I have till Friday to make a decision. Weighing all options once of which location is massive for me. Another factor is also which school will be better equipped to match me into my speciality of choice. UHCOM is primary care heavy and I am not sure on the extent they can go to help me match competitively.

got an offer from UHCOM this evening. Not sure what to do since I already hold a spot at TTUHSC Lubbock. I have till Friday to make a decision. Weighing all options once of which location is massive for me. Another factor is also which school will be better equipped to match me into my speciality of choice. UHCOM is primary care heavy and I am not sure on the extent they can go to help me match competitively.
Glad they gave you a few days to consider, do what's right for you

For those of you who didn’t match UHCOM, but hold another acceptance, are you able to see whether or not UHCOM waitlisted you in the CYMS tool?

For those of you who didn’t match UHCOM, but hold another acceptance, are you able to see whether or not UHCOM waitlisted you in the CYMS tool?
Theoretically you should, but because some TMDSAS schools don't put a high priority on updating the CYMS tool (it's mostly a crucial tool for AMCAS admissions directors) a school might not be updating that status often.

I actually did not even know I was waitlisted at UHCOM and had an acceptance at TTUHSC. I got an apartment was all ready to settle down in Lubbock in July, like planning for furniture and stuff and then randomly get a call from UH with an offer LOL. Now I will stay at home but it was really random.

I actually did not even know I was waitlisted at UHCOM and had an acceptance at TTUHSC. I got an apartment was all ready to settle down in Lubbock in July, like planning for furniture and stuff and then randomly get a call from UH with an offer LOL. Now I will stay at home but it was really random.
Sorry the communication from UHCOM was not timely and did not help you make your plans.
I'm not sure what you should do about this, if anything, but it's definitely an area with room for improvement for UH

Sorry the communication from UHCOM was not timely and did not help you make your plans.
I'm not sure what you should do about this, if anything, but it's definitely an area with room for improvement for UH
I actually took the UH offer and accepted it but it was poorly handled lol. I would not have jumped the gun on the apartment with the deposits and stuff. I only got the apartment in Lubbock this early was because they were running out of units fast so I secured one early. Still happy UH came through but wasted a grand on all the costs combined.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I actually took the UH offer and accepted it but it was poorly handled lol. I would not have jumped the gun on the apartment with the deposits and stuff. I only got the apartment in Lubbock this early was because they were running out of units fast so I secured one early. Still happy UH came through but wasted a grand on all the costs combined.
Congrats. I remember how bad they were with communicating, it is very frustrating. They do improve once inside (you see them everyday so maybe they don’t have a choice lol). Send me a PM about your specialty interest!

I prematched at Tech and UH this cycle, and communication was extremely different at these schools. I received a scholarship from UH hours before the rank deadline (which really confused me since I had my rank already done).

UH sent their first batch of prematches in December. Tech gave me a prematch offer on October 15th (on a Saturday!) They also sent out a scholarship offer days after. Communication with Tech was seamless, and I simply had a VERY positive experience with them. However, UH is very new and it's normal to have these hiccups. I still appreciate UH tremendously, and if we give UH 60 more years, they for sure will be just as great if not better. So I believe UH is doing awesome for what they have.

I, too, was hoping to stay close to Houston, but when I visited Tech, I felt more at peace for some reason. So if you feel more at peace with UH, I think $1k is not that important in the grand scheme of things (although I'm broke as hell, so I totally get it). I guess all I'm saying is that I've been there, and even though it feels as if you're making a life or death decision, it doesn't really matter much, because you'll be an M.D. regardless. It's what you do with that degree that'll take you places.
Congratulations on your acceptance!

• Love
I prematched at Tech and UH this cycle, and communication was extremely different at these schools. I received a scholarship from UH hours before the rank deadline (which really confused me since I had my rank already done).

UH sent their first batch of prematches in December. Tech gave me a prematch offer on October 15th (on a Saturday!) They also sent out a scholarship offer days after. Communication with Tech was seamless, and I simply had a VERY positive experience with them. However, UH is very new and it's normal to have these hiccups. I still appreciate UH tremendously, and if we give UH 60 more years, they for sure will be just as great if not better. So I believe UH is doing awesome for what they have.

I, too, was hoping to stay close to Houston, but when I visited Tech, I felt more at peace for some reason. So if you feel more at peace with UH, I think $1k is not that important in the grand scheme of things (although I'm broke as hell, so I totally get it). I guess all I'm saying is that I've been there, and even though it feels as if you're making a life or death decision, it doesn't really matter much, because you'll be an M.D. regardless. It's what you do with that degree that'll take you places.
Congratulations on your acceptance!
I appreciate the insight. I feel like everyones experience is different because at Tech the communication was the complete opposite for me and at UH it was like instant same day within a few hours with everyone I talked to. Some staff even told me that it was ok to text them for any questions.

I agree with this. The official communication was super late and unhelpful but then I met faculty and they were so helpful and even met 1-on-1 to help me make my school decision.

Withdrew from here today. Very hard decision, but I hope my seat goes to one of you anxiously awaiting.

Just got off the waitlist, feels unreal and very confusing, I’m still processing everything.

I have already been accepted somewhere else and wasn’t even considering Fertitta as an option anymore, not sure what to do now..

I have already accepted the loans for the other school, I just feel like it’s so late in the cycle. If somebody was in the same position as me please dm me , thank you!

Just got off the waitlist, feels unreal and very confusing, I’m still processing everything.

I have already been accepted somewhere else and wasn’t even considering Fertitta as an option anymore, not sure what to do now..

I have already accepted the loans for the other school, I just feel like it’s so late in the cycle. If somebody was in the same position as me please dm me , thank you!
Is n't there a huge cost difference between your choices?

There was someone here last year with the exact same choices but chose to stay with the other school. Their reason was that they had a family (spouse and children) who needed family support locally and cost was a tradeoff.

Is n't there a huge cost difference between your choices?

There was someone here last year with the exact same choices but chose to stay with the other school. Their reason was that they had a family (spouse and children) who needed family support locally and cost was a tradeoff.
Yes you are right, but moving to Houston would also add to my living expenses bc I was planning to stay with my parents here in SA.

Do you think I could also negotiate with UH in regards to financial aid and weigh my options based on that?

Yes you are right, but moving to Houston would also add to my living expenses bc I was planning to stay with my parents here in SA.

Do you think I could also negotiate with UH in regards to financial aid and weigh my options based on that?
Wouldn't the lower tuition at U of H Fertitta make up for the need for you to rent your own place in Houston?
The difference in tuition alone would give you $3000 a month for housing

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn't the lower tuition at U of H Fertitta make up for the need for you to rent your own place in Houston?
Right - I am under the impression tuition is almost 35k more per year while living costs are calculated at 15k usually.

so I tried this and told UH that I was getting X amount from Y school and that it was a major factor in which school I would choose. they told me that they used up all the scholarships early on in the cycle for their students and that I would have to apply for aid next year and that I would have to go with loans.

Is that second one truly an optional prompt. As in if you haven't had any academic struggles you can go ahead and leave it?