University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Like everyone else here, I'm also looking for roommates! I'm a girl but don't really mind living with either guys or girls, and I'm going out to my friend's wedding out in Urbana late May, so if you're interested we can work together to make a list of places I should hit when I go. Not bringing pets, but would prefer to keep rent in the 400 range or lower.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
sooo lightly looking into housing right now and moving towards a house with multiple bedrooms and a fenced in yard. most of the places are about 350-550 per month (per bedroom) not including utilities that fall under this criteria. a couple places look really nice but I want to know how many people are looking for roommates before I start to seriously consider a place like that.
I'm looking for a roommate and a house in savoy or urbana. I have one dog. I'd love to put in a doggie door. I'd love to live with other dogs, but cannot live with cats. Let me know if you're still looking!

Okay wait listers! It's our time to shine! Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
there is a survey asking questions about the blue coat ceremony. What size would you recommend I get? I weigh around 125-130 lbs and I'm around 5'3'' or 5'4'' in height. Girl btw lol. Do they run big or small?

Wait where is this survey?

Hi everyone, I created a temporary fb group for Illinois c/o 2020, which may more may not close after the school's office creates an official fb group for our class! The group name is UIllinois Vet Med Class of 2020, so please join!

Hi everyone, I created a temporary fb group for Illinois c/o 2020, which may more may not close after the school's office creates an official fb group for our class! The group name is UIllinois Vet Med Class of 2020, so please join!
You're going to want to have an unofficial page. It's where you can post questions for your classmates, study guides, group events like the barcrawls, or just complain about something that's annoying you that only your fellow students will understand. Each class has an unofficial and we keep it quiet.

Reactions: 2 users
You're going to want to have an unofficial page. It's where you can post questions for your classmates, study guides, group events like the barcrawls, or just complain about something that's annoying you that only your fellow students will understand. Each class has an unofficial and we keep it quiet.

then what is the official fb group used for??

then what is the official fb group used for??
Nothing, tbh. Other classes use it to sell you stuff throughout the year. Official communications don't go through that page. It's more of a way to get you connected to your classmates over the summer. We don't even use ours anymore.

Totes just requested to join.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got called off the wait list for my first choice school......Now I have to decide between U of I and Midwestern by Friday!! Anyone else in this predicament?

I'm looking for a roommate and a house in savoy or urbana. I have one dog. I'd love to put in a doggie door. I'd love to live with other dogs, but cannot live with cats. Let me know if you're still looking!
I am! also cannot live with cats and other dogs are fine. a dog door would be great! I'm hoping to purchase a home so I can kinda do whatever I want with the house as long as its within building permits and such.

Like everyone else here, I'm also looking for roommates! I'm a girl but don't really mind living with either guys or girls, and I'm going out to my friend's wedding out in Urbana late May, so if you're interested we can work together to make a list of places I should hit when I go. Not bringing pets, but would prefer to keep rent in the 400 range or lower.
definitely interested in looking into places with you if you're still looking

I got called off the wait list for my first choice school......Now I have to decide between U of I and Midwestern by Friday!! Anyone else in this predicament?

1) Whichever one is cheaper, hands down most important consideration. I believe that would be U of I. Especially if U of I is your IS.

2) With Midwestern being a new school without a graduated class, you will have to fight against a certain amount of stigma that will come with being a graduate of that school. We don't know how graduates from that school will turn out or how they will compare to other graduates and so if the first class has some major hiccups, you'll have to live with those consequences.

I am also looking at buying a place. I'm going up on May 22nd to look at places. I'm mostly looking at places that are big dog-friendly, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with access to a yard and plenty of other green spaces.
I would prefer to not live with cats but dogs and anything else is fine. I believe I will be adopting a dog towards September/October.

So excited about all of this!

Hey wait listers, a bunch of us from the C/O 2020 facebook page just got this e-mail letting us know the class is full. :( I wish you guys luck with any other wait list positions you have!

Dear Class of 2020 Applicants,

We have passed the April 15 deadline for admissions acceptances and have now tallied the results. We have had an unprecedented positive response to admissions offers this year. We now have a full Class of 2020 for starting in August 2016. As a result we are confident much earlier than usual that we can advise those on the Wait List that it is time to make alternate plans for next year. We do not envision making many, if any, offers from the Wait List for Fall 2016.

Sincerely,

Jonathan H. Foreman, DVM, MS
Diplomate ACVIM (LAIM)
Professor, Equine Internal Medicine
Associate Dean, Academic and Student Affairs
University of Illinois

Just got this email from UIUC Vet but I'm an accepted applicant, did anyone else get this?

"Dear Class of 2020 Applicants,

We have passed the April 15 deadline for admissions acceptances and have now tallied the results. We have had an unprecedented positive response to admissions offers this year. We now have a full Class of 2020 for starting in August 2016. As a result we are confident much earlier than usual that we can advise those on the Wait List that it is time to make alternate plans for next year. We do not envision making many, if any, offers from the Wait List for Fall 2016.

Sincerely,

Jonathan H. Foreman, DVM"

Really sorry to those on the wait list that's so sad I've never heard of them closing the waitlists so early

Last edited:
^Double post. :p

Edit: But it isn't "bogus". If the class is full, the class is full. They already over-accept as it is. I would rather they let me know sooner rather than later that I won't be getting a call. Been wait listed twice and it sucked waiting the long summer before knowing I wasn't in.

I am also looking at buying a place. I'm going up on May 22nd to look at places. I'm mostly looking at places that are big dog-friendly, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with access to a yard and plenty of other green spaces.
I would prefer to not live with cats but dogs and anything else is fine. I believe I will be adopting a dog towards September/October.

So excited about all of this!
Also looking for the same--can't do cats but anything else is fine

Just got this email from UIUC Vet but I'm an accepted applicant, did anyone else get this?

"Dear Class of 2020 Applicants,

Sincerely,

Jonathan H. Foreman, DVM"

Really sorry to those on the wait list that's so bogus I've never heard of them closing the waitlists so early
:eyebrow: Umm...why would this be "bogus?" They're not closing anything. They simply have no more seats to offer. That may change depending on if someone gets called off another waitlist or decides not to attend for whatever reason...but for now the class is full. Absolutely nothing bogus about this. If anything, this school did everyone on the list a huge favor by letting them know as soon as they knew the class was full.

Also, I signed up to be a big sib to one or two of you! So sorry in advance when you find out your big sib isn't that good at making baked goods or decorating clipboards :p

Waitlists don't seem to be moving at all this year. LSU is full as well at the moment.

If anything, this school did everyone on the list a huge favor by letting them know as soon as they knew the class was full.

:thumbup:

Just means that even though here was over accepting, you have tons of people who are so dedicated to the school that they didn't have to even call alternates!

:thumbup:

Just means that even though here was over accepting, you have tons of people who are so dedicated to the school that they didn't have to even call alternates!
Also this. Illinois is a #1 choice for a lot of OOSers, too. The exotics/wildlife draws in a lot of applicants.

:eyebrow: Umm...why would this be "bogus?" They're not closing anything. They simply have no more seats to offer. That may change depending on if someone gets called off another waitlist or decides not to attend for whatever reason...but for now the class is full. Absolutely nothing bogus about this. If anything, this school did everyone on the list a huge favor by letting them know as soon as they knew the class was full.

Also, I signed up to be a big sib to one or two of you! So sorry in advance when you find out your big sib isn't that good at making baked goods or decorating clipboards :p

True! Yea, poor choice of words meant to say it's just really sad cause I know a lot of people who were on there and were bummed about it being full so fast. But whats done is done...don't give up waitlisters there is always next year!

Yeah that's true... Sorry poor choice of words meant to say it's just really sad cause I know a lot of people who were on there and were bummed about it being full so fast. But cest la vie...don't give up waitlisters!
Yeah it is a bummer, but I am very proud of my school for letting everyone know in such a timely fashion. I don't remember if they did this for us last year (totally possible that they did and I forgot!). Like someone said earlier, we had 2-3 new additions within two weeks of the first day of class. Don't give up hope by any means, but also get your backup plans in motion.

I'm hoping what goes around comes around- if I get off of the waitlist at my dream school, my IS seat will open up here for someone else! Trying to be positive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yeah it is a bummer, but I am very proud of my school for letting everyone know in such a timely fashion. I don't remember if they did this for us last year (totally possible that they did and I forgot!). Like someone said earlier, we had 2-3 new additions within two weeks of the first day of class. Don't give up hope by any means, but also get your backup plans in motion.
We recieved an email like this in mid-May last year. For what it's worth, I was offered admission in the second week of July. Just don't anticipate that there will be many offers.

Have your back-up plans in order. If you get called off and don't need them, that's awesome! If not, you'll benefit from moving forward for next cycle. Good luck!

We recieved an email like this in mid-May last year. For what it's worth, I was offered admission in the second week of July. Just don't anticipate that there will be many offers.

Have your back-up plans in order. If you get called off and don't need them, that's awesome! If not, you'll benefit from moving forward for next cycle. Good luck!
At least someone remembers something about last summer. I don't know if it was because I was in denial at the time, but my memory about vet school related things from March-July is gone :p

Definitely schedule file reviews with Dr. Foreman and listen to what he says. He talked to me for close to two hours after my first cycle and actually remembered me the next time around. Illinois takes a lot of interest in you improving yourself between cycles. Hopefully none of you would have to reapply, but it's always a good idea to prepare just in case.

They sent the email last year to me some point in the summer, I remember getting it and knowing that I didn't make it and would be applying again. To the waitlisters, I know it is very unfortunate but I went through it and applied again and made it through my second time :)

Does anyone know if there is a dress code during class? I know Kansas was business casual.

As far as I know, no. You have to dress nicer when you're in the teaching hospital for clinics, but most people wear jeans/tshirts to class. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Does anyone know if there is a dress code during class? I know Kansas was business casual.
As far as I know, no. You have to dress nicer when you're in the teaching hospital for clinics, but most people wear jeans/tshirts to class. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Anything goes, as long as you remain in the realm of common sense/decency.

ETA: Yeah, for clinics, the most dressy clothing you'll need is a few nice tops, a pair of khakis, and a pair of black pants. I found some really nice ones at Meijer actually, and they even have a stretchy waistband so it's like I'm wearing pajamas. Look nice, but don't feel that you need to go crazy. You won't see heels, skirts, or anything remotely unpractical on any clinicians or 4th years that often.

Last edited:
I got called off the wait list for a school in my home state! I will be giving up my spot at U of I in order to attend another school. Don't give up waitlisters I'm sure I am not the only one! I wish everyone the best of luck and in 4 years we will be doctors! WOOHOO!

Actually, I really hate to be the one to say it, but some of us got clarification on what that email meant.

The school overaccepted (by how much, I don't know). They sent out offers, and actually got too many acceptances in response. This means that, as people drop out of the class, the waitlist won't be contacted because the extra acceptances will assume those seats. Without knowing how many extra acceptances turned into future students, it's really hard to say if anyone on the waitlist will ever be contacted. I imagine that if they are sending you this email, they don't expect it to happen.

My theory is that they were concerned about being underfilled due to all of the drama we've been through. Idk if that's true, just my thoughts. Like mentioned earlier, get those backup plans in motion, schedule file reviews, and take any waitlist offers from other schools if you still want to attend that school.

So I may be looking for a roommate for next year! I'll be a second year and my house has a huge backyard, a little less than 10 minutes from the school (it's a really easy drive), lots a trees on my street, and my house is super pet friendly. I'm anticipating it will be $500 a month which includes all utilities and everything is furnished plus the room will have a full-sized bed. Message me if you are interested

Actually, I really hate to be the one to say it, but some of us got clarification on what that email meant.

The school overaccepted (by how much, I don't know). They sent out offers, and actually got too many acceptances in response. This means that, as people drop out of the class, the waitlist won't be contacted because the extra acceptances will assume those seats. Without knowing how many extra acceptances turned into future students, it's really hard to say if anyone on the waitlist will ever be contacted. I imagine that if they are sending you this email, they don't expect it to happen.

My theory is that they were concerned about being underfilled due to all of the drama we've been through. Idk if that's true, just my thoughts. Like mentioned earlier, get those backup plans in motion, schedule file reviews, and take any waitlist offers from other schools if you still want to attend that school.

Mind if I ask what drama you're talking about? I've already accepted, I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Mind if I ask what drama you're talking about? I've already accepted, I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Budget concerns and professors leaving.

Budget concerns and professors leaving.

Which to me really isn't that dramatic. U of I have a solid plan in place and a good amount of savings to make it until a budget is passed. Also, vet schools have doctors leaving all the time. They retire, move on, or just leave for whatever reason. Our school has been having quite a lot of interviews for new doctors so I don't expect any whole department losses

Which to me really isn't that dramatic. U of I have a solid plan in place and a good amount of savings to make it until a budget is passed. Also, vet schools have doctors leaving all the time. They retire, move on, or just leave for whatever reason. Our school has been having quite a lot of interviews for new doctors so I don't expect any whole department losses

I totes agree. The budget thing would concern me if it was a school the size of my undergrad, but it's not. The professor thing would concern me if there was some sort of scandal related to it, but there's not.

I totes agree. The budget thing would concern me if it was a school the size of my undergrad, but it's not. The professor thing would concern me if there was some sort of scandal related to it, but there's not.
Yeah not a scandal at all, just bad timing with retirements + people leaving due to better offers/frustration.

Also, I called the Parking Office and you can't buy a pass until the end of June (or around that time) if anyone was wondering!

Could any current student tell me if UIUC has a pet food program? Thanks!!

Could any current student tell me if UIUC has a pet food program? Thanks!!
Yes, they have Hill's, Purina, and Oxbow if you have exotics. I don't know how to get on the food list though or how much the discount is.