University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know if illinois portal go up yet?
It has not. I would expect it to go up sometime in November, as VMCAS is still in the process of verifying people. I emailed them and they said they won't put it up until they've gone through all the verified applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if I sound dumb but I applied OOS to Illinois and have no idea what this "portal" is... can someone fill me in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even see an email address for anyone we can contact regarding the status of our applications...

I don't even see an email address for anyone we can contact regarding the status of our applications...
I emailed admissions and they sassed me! Haha Not really, but they explained they have a lot of applications so they won't have any status updates until all have been gone through. I think this was about two weeks ago! Hoping the portal goes up soon!

But let's be honest...... There was definitely some sass there. lol.
Oh absolutely, it kind of made me feel bad for even sending an email... But I understand, they must have 100 people emailing them the same thing.

I emailed admissions and they sassed me! Haha Not really, but they explained they have a lot of applications so they won't have any status updates until all have been gone through. I think this was about two weeks ago! Hoping the portal goes up soon!

This forum exists so that we don't all get sassed by admissions committees, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
They should expect it though! Most of the schools have seen double the applicant pool compared to last year, but that should already be a set trend. So I'm assuming like most of the other public state schools we should expect to hear something around early to mid December.

They should expect it though! Most of the schools have seen double the applicant pool compared to last year, but that should already be a set trend. So I'm assuming like most of the other public state schools we should expect to hear something around early to mid December.
What school has seen 2000 applicants this year instead of the usual 800-1000?

For the record, the school (actually, every school in the state) are busy dealing with a massive funding crisis right now. Everything is screwed up. The school's leaders are probably occupied with the fact that **** will hit the fan next semester with all the electives and didactic lectures that are scheduled for rooms that are completely out of service as of now. It also doesn't help that VMCAS dropped the ball hard this year. Just hope the stupid state government gets its act together so they can approve the funding bill so all of the construction will be finished, payroll can be met, etc. No one is sure what will happen if this bill isn't passed.

Just be patient and continue to be hopeful!

What school has seen 2000 applicants this year instead of the usual 800-1000?

For the record, the school (actually, every school in the state) are busy dealing with a massive funding crisis right now. Everything is screwed up. The school's leaders are probably occupied with the fact that **** will hit the fan next semester with all the electives and didactic lectures that are scheduled for rooms that are completely out of service as of now. It also doesn't help that VMCAS dropped the ball hard this year. Just hope the stupid state government gets its act together so they can approve the funding bill so all of the construction will be finished, payroll can be met, etc. No one is sure what will happen if this bill isn't passed.

Just be patient and continue to be hopeful!

I know VMCAS didn't make it easy this year on any of the schools and I understand them having issues. I know from someone on the admissions board at UF they are seeing double the amount of applicants this year as well as what I have been told by other people involved in the admissions process because I've asked because I was interested if other schools were seeing that much of an increase from cycle to cycle. The trend shows an increase in applicants every year. That is all I was saying.

On top of what pinkpuppy said, we also registered today which had a lot of problems in itself. Some code got screwed up somewhere and some of our electives were locked for an hour or so. We have what feels like a quarter of our teaching staff retiring this year, and half of the staff we actually need in administration to do all of this for us. Please be patient with them, no matter how hard it is. They're doing the best they can with the limited amount of personnel they have to do it all. I doubt they'll hire anyone new until the budget is passed so we're asking a lot of our admin people. You really won't get any updates on the status of your application until first round of acceptance/rejection letters in December anyway. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
On top of what pinkpuppy said, we also registered today which had a lot of problems in itself. Some code got screwed up somewhere and some of our electives were locked for an hour or so. We have what feels like a quarter of our teaching staff retiring this year, and half of the staff we actually need in administration to do all of this for us. Please be patient with them, no matter how hard it is. They're doing the best they can with the limited amount of personnel they have to do it all. I doubt they'll hire anyone new until the budget is passed so we're asking a lot of our admin people. You really won't get any updates on the status of your application until first round of acceptance/rejection letters in December anyway. Good luck everyone.
omg that was so annoying. As soon as the courses actually opened, 100 laptops were whipped out. I actually spilled my coffee everywhere in my haste, but I got my electives! I now just have sticky keys that wreak of old coffee....

I know VMCAS didn't make it easy this year on any of the schools and I understand them having issues. I know from someone on the admissions board at UF they are seeing double the amount of applicants this year as well as what I have been told by other people involved in the admissions process because I've asked because I was interested if other schools were seeing that much of an increase from cycle to cycle. The trend shows an increase in applicants every year. That is all I was saying.
I'll be interested in those numbers then. I'd truly be shocked if there was a sudden jump of 1000+ applicants for one school this year.

omg that was so annoying. As soon as the courses actually opened, 100 laptops were whipped out. I actually spilled my coffee everywhere in my haste, but I got my electives! I now just have sticky keys that wreak of old coffee....
I think with everything else going on, they just oversighted some of the registration stuff. We didn't have that problem at all last year. Once this budget nonsense is settled, they'll be on top of stuff like that again.

This is all very enlightening information. I'm sorry you guys have been having issues with all that sounds very stressful. In my initial statement I stated that it would be assumed we wouldn't hear back until early to mid December like all the other state schools. I was simply making a correlation, but it seems there's other "stuff" going on as well.

This is all very enlightening information. I'm sorry you guys have been having issues with all that sounds very stressful. In my initial statement I stated that it would be assumed we wouldn't hear back until early to mid December like all the other state schools. I was simply making a correlation, but it seems there's other "stuff" going on as well.
Yeah the entire state is in trouble right now. I have a feeling it'll end up being passed at the last possible minute, but right now no schools of higher education are getting state funding. You do the math. Two of our lecture halls are chained closed (construction started, then stopped once the money ran out), part of our clinical skills learning center is torn apart, and we can't replace the staff that retired this year. We're having lectures in our anatomy lab, for Pete's sake! I'm hoping the school has plans because they really did schedule a ton of electives for the closed lecture halls. It would be a problem if they had to cancel a ton of electives...

Yeah the entire state is in trouble right now. I have a feeling it'll end up being passed at the last possible minute, but right now no schools of higher education are getting state funding. You do the math. Two of our lecture halls are chained closed (construction started, then stopped once the money ran out), part of our clinical skills learning center is torn apart, and we can't replace the staff that retired this year. We're having lectures in our anatomy lab, for Pete's sake! I'm hoping the school has plans because they really did schedule a ton of electives for the closed lecture halls. It would be a problem if they had to cancel a ton of electives...
One thing our staff is is resourceful. If they can find a quasi-classroom to use, they will. They don't want to cancel any electives either, especially since a lot of them aren't offered another year such as comparative anatomy. Hopefully they get all this settled soon because I would like to have our clinical skills building back. It's really helpful to go in there during time off and practice skills you can't practice at home. No idea where they're going to do our OSCE stuff either. Fun times. Ivisessea, yea there's a lot going on. However, they've never been good about their portal system. It's better to just wait for the letters and not depend on the portal. They're way more on time with physical mail than the interwebs.

Trying to be patient.... still waiting for portal...:yawn:

You brought my hopes up only to invariably crush them. I want you to know that.

Reactions: 1 users
I still check the portal everyday hoping something will happen!

How do I access the portal...? Can't seem to find it.

How do I access the portal...? Can't seem to find it.

That's the joke. There is no portal yet.

I kind of forgot Illinois....... I figured I would either get an e-mail from them when it went up or I would hear from you guys when it went up... lol.:rolleyes:

That's the joke. There is no portal yet.

I kind of forgot Illinois....... I figured I would either get an e-mail from them when it went up or I would hear from you guys when it went up... lol.:rolleyes:
I wish I had inside info for you guys :( Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I just wanted to let you all know I spoke with admissions today and they informed me that there will be no portal this year. They also told me as of now their goal is to be sending out letters and/or emails regarding their decisions on receiving an interview sometime in mid January.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey guys I just wanted to let you all know I spoke with admissions today and they informed me that there will be no portal this year. They also told me as of now their goal is to be sending out letters and/or emails regarding their decisions on receiving an interview sometime in mid January.
The first cuts should be receiving word in the next two weeks according to the schedule of the last two years. Honestly the portal ended up being pointless for both years I applied since they were updated after I had already gotten my letters! Hang in there guys, it'll start happening soon!

Lol. I wondered, there was no indication on the page that it was going to be anything other than the place to pay our supplemental fee. I didn't want to question it though since it sounds like they were planning on having the portal a couple months ago. Last year I liked that it showed they had all your stuff and how they'd calculated your science GPA, but that's not absolutely crucial. Pinkpuppy's right, it was generally way behind as far as updating people about their status. Although I think I did find out from the portal that I was waitlisted last year. IIRC they intended to wait to update the portals until after most people had their letters, but there was a huge delay with some people receiving their letters for some reason.

I'll have to hold out on two schools for January information now. Lol.

I just received an email from Illinois stating my application is in Phase II and is being reviewed for a potential interview invitation! They also stated that they are not using a portal this year and they are communicating only via email.

I received an email stating my application is in phase II as well!!!

Same here does everyone advance to phase 2 ??

Also received the phase II e-mail. No, not everyone advances to phase II. According to last year's thread, there's a cut off for the cumulative GPA, science GPA, GRE percentile score, and undergrad rigor (which are phase I considerations).

Day. Made. After three rejections, it's good to know I've made it passed the academic considerations with someone.

Edit: And I have now looked up how long it will take to drive to U of I. lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
After not getting an interview at my current school (still OOS though), it feels good to be a phase II

I'm hoping they would still send out a notification if someone didn't make it to phase 2 no email yet for me...

I'm hoping they would still send out a notification if someone didn't make it to phase 2 no email yet for me...
Yes, yes they will. I didn't make it to phase to during my first try. I think I got a paper letter (the portal was also updated eventually but that doesn't apply).

SO excited you guys are finally hearing something!

Finally got an email saying I made it to phase II !! So excited hoping to get an interview invite next month !!

Yes, yes they will. I didn't make it to phase to during my first try. I think I got a paper letter (the portal was also updated eventually but that doesn't apply).

SO excited you guys are finally hearing something!
So if I don't receive an email today I should just assume I didn't make it to phase 2?

I got the same email! Today was a crazy day of vet school emails!

Also received the phase II e-mail. No, not everyone advances to phase II. According to last year's thread, there's a cut off for the cumulative GPA, science GPA, GRE percentile score, and undergrad rigor (which are phase I considerations).

Day. Made. After three rejections, it's good to know I've made it passed the academic considerations with someone.

Edit: And I have now looked up how long it will take to drive to U of I. lol.
Great!

I got the email also. Looks like they interview about 200-250 OOS according to the website. Phase II appears to play the largest role in the final decision.

Great!

I got the email also. Looks like they interview about 200-250 OOS according to the website. Phase II appears to play the largest role in the final decision.
I wonder how many "make the cut" so to speak. Last year they talked about people making it past a cutoff for the phase 2 stuff. If 950 people apply and 250 are granted an interview, that's 700 to comb through.

I didn't get the email either... :oops: hopefully they're sending them in batches, I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't get an interview considering I did last year. These emails are a new thing, last year I didn't hear from them until my interview invite.

I wonder how many "make the cut" so to speak. Last year they talked about people making it past a cutoff for the phase 2 stuff. If 950 people apply and 250 are granted an interview, that's 700 to comb through.
yeah but not all get phase 2, i didnt last year. so im assuming they cut at least 150-200 before phase 2 eval? but who knows? I hope whoever didnt get an email does soon tho!

yeah but not all get phase 2, i didnt last year. so im assuming they cut at least 150-200 before phase 2 eval? but who knows? I hope whoever didnt get an email does soon tho!

I started the bolded earlier today. I'm aware that not everyone gets phase 2. I was wondering what the cutoff for phase 2 would be this year and how many people generally get cut at that point. I think 200, give or take, would make sense. But then that leaves 500 more to cut before interviews and it would make sense to drop more people earlier than later in the cycle. Like you said, who knows.