University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seriously though, when is it going to be up?! Do they know how crazy we are all going? I'm so anxious I can't stand it.
You could always shoot them an email. However, it'll be up when it'll be up. You're not going to see any interview invites for a while. All the portal would tell you right now is the stats they have on you basically.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys, I'm telling you. You're going to need to have some patience. Both times I applied here, it was quiet for a very long time. You try manually inputting 1000 applications into a system. Also, VMCAS is still processing people. Usually, a school waits until they have most/all of their apps before launching the portal. If they don't they get tons of calls every day with people freaking out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Email response from Admissions when asked about portal: "We are currently working through over 800 applications and have no status information at this time."

Email response from Admissions when asked about portal: "We are currently working through over 800 applications and have no status information at this time."
This is not directed at you specifically, but I feel like I have literally said this point so many times this cycle. On the APVMA page, other threads, etc. This stuff takes weeks. Just because your VMCAS is electronic doesn't mean the schools have a system to download that info (which is probably another improvement that could be made).

This is not directed at you specifically, but I feel like I have literally said this point so many times this cycle. On the APVMA page, other threads, etc. This stuff takes weeks. Just because your VMCAS is electronic doesn't mean the schools have a system to download that info (which is probably another improvement that could be made).
We undefstand it takes weeks. I believe most of us are asking rhetorically, as we are anxious to hear. I fully understand they are busy and it will be awhile yet! Just very excited.

Thanks for the update at least!

Is 800 a normal number of applicants for Illinois? That seems like it's a little low…

If you throw in 200-300 IS applicants, it seems on the mark to me. Fewer people are applying to OOS because of the cost nowadays (at least it feels like it to me).

If you throw in 200-300 IS applicants, it seems on the mark to me. Fewer people are applying to OOS because of the cost nowadays (at least it feels like it to me).
To me it sounded like they meant 800 total applicants, but who knows!

To me it sounded like they meant 800 total applicants, but who knows!

Oh, truth. My heads fuzzy; been at a sexual assault workshop all day for work, so my reading comprehension is down the toilet. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is 800 a normal number of applicants for Illinois? That seems like it's a little low…
They usually get 850-950 according to the website. Depending on the school, the 'total applicant pool' may or may not reflect individuals who applied but didn't meet basic qualifications (missing a prereq, GPA too low to even be considered, etc.). VMCAS is still sending out apps last I checked, too. They may have more on the way.

I think a lot of midwestern applicants apply to most of the midwestern schools...Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio, and sometimes Iowa. Most people don't bother with Wisconsin unless they know they have a decent shot. There's around 10 MSU undergrads in my class, and I know a lot more than that interviewed here! I think they invite at least 200 OOS just to interview

I think a lot of midwestern applicants apply to most of the midwestern schools...Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio, and sometimes Iowa. Most people don't bother with Wisconsin unless they know they have a decent shot. There's around 10 MSU undergrads in my class, and I know a lot more than that interviewed here! I think they invite at least 200 OOS just to interview

My (Our!) first application cycle, the average amount of schools applied to was 5.1ish and last year it was 4ish. Not a huge drop by any means, but it's enough to make me feel that people are tending to not apply OOS as much as they used to. I was actually going to apply to Wisconsin because of the OOS tuition and my zoology professor that writes me a kickbutt letter is an alum. But then I saw that 3.8 average GPA and was like, "Nope." But 200 OOS sounds like the average to interview. K-State sticks around 300 and Louisiana is around 150ish, I believe.

My (Our!) first application cycle, the average amount of schools applied to was 5.1ish and last year it was 4ish. Not a huge drop by any means, but it's enough to make me feel that people are tending to not apply OOS as much as they used to. I was actually going to apply to Wisconsin because of the OOS tuition and my zoology professor that writes me a kickbutt letter is an alum. But then I saw that 3.8 average GPA and was like, "Nope." But 200 OOS sounds like the average to interview. K-State sticks around 300 and Louisiana is around 150ish, I believe.
haha yeah that's why I didn't bother with Wisconsin myself. I think Illinois might actually be interviewing more people this year though (last year was 300, now they say 350?). Should make for a crazier interview day.

haha yeah that's why I didn't bother with Wisconsin myself. I think Illinois might actually be interviewing more people this year though (last year was 300, now they say 350?). Should make for a crazier interview day.

Just got to roll with it! I can't remember if Illinois has changed the website to reflect the new interview date. I think when I last checked, it was still for last year.

Edit: Yep. Still says, "Monday February 9, 2015".

Just got to roll with it! I can't remember if Illinois has changed the website to reflect the new interview date. I think when I last checked, it was still for last year.

Edit: Yep. Still says, "Monday February 9, 2015".
Sounds about right :rolleyes:

I'm the most disorganized person on my staff. I wonder how my life would be if I went to such a disorganized school. lol.

I'm the most disorganized person on my staff. I wonder how my life would be if I went to such a disorganized school. lol.
Maybe it would feel normal, haha. I don't think our accepted student page was updated until mid-June, but I don't remember that well. Mind you, we had several tasks to complete over the summer.

I don't mean to trash the school....part of my angst is due to my finals over the next two days that I will probs not do well on lol. I am too prepared for anatomy, and now underprepared for everything else. Sigh.

How do you have finals now?

How do you have finals now?
Illinois is on the quarter system! We have two rounds of midterms and finals each semester (unless there is a quarter dedicated to rotations). There's pros and cons to how the curriculum is set up, but that list varies for each person. I personally dislike that all subjects (histo, anatomy, etc.) make up one grade for each quarter course (so VM602 for me right now). You can ace your histology/imaging portion of the midterm, but fail anatomy, and it leads to an average midterm grade. With that being said, that also gives you a better chance of not failing the course (because most people would do poorly in anatomy with our practical average being below a 50%) since your strengths would balance out your weaknesses. I like not having to take a tons of exams during midterms/finals, and I like that all of the courses are on the same schedule when it comes to exams. Our midterm was a 3 hour session with an anatomy practical, a histo/imaging multiple choice exam, and a neuro/physio multiple choice exam (computerized). Tomorrow's final will be the same way, but our day two exam is more integrative and deals with more case-based stuff.

Lord help me.

I had no idea they were quarter!! Good to know!! That exam schedule actually sounds like it plays to my strengths, so that may be a good thing for me. Lol

I had no idea they were quarter!! Good to know!! That exam schedule actually sounds like it plays to my strengths, so that may be a good thing for me. Lol
Come take mine for me!!!!

Seriously though. I'm currently dealing with a sugar crash and not sure if I will recover.

You can go to bed like I'm about to do. Lol. I'm spent after the workshop all day today and delayed my Skype date with the boyfriend till tomorrow. Bed is always a solution to a problem!

You can go to bed like I'm about to do. Lol. I'm spent after the workshop all day today and delayed my Skype date with the boyfriend till tomorrow. Bed is always a solution to a problem!
Seriously though, come here next year so I can be your big!

We'll see!!! ☺. I would totes be down for that!!

Thats awesome that you guys have the big/little system! I know Mizzou is like that too I believe.

Thats awesome that you guys have the big/little system! I know Mizzou is like that too I believe.
It's fun. Bigs leave surprises for their littles around exams and whatever. I got my big stuff for finals week too. It's also another friendly face when you have questions about something. Some bigs may or may not pass down a wealth of study materials, not that I know anything about that.....;)

As Lupin said, it's a pretty common thing among vet schools. I know Oregon and UTK have it. It's a nice way to create bonds between classes :)

Some bigs may or may not pass down a wealth of study materials, not that I know anything about that.....;)

So you're saying you'll hook me up? ;)

Oh tey have bigs in vet school? So did my sorority..

Oh tey have bigs in vet school? So did my sorority..
It's not much like a sorority though. It's basically a casual mentor system. Some people get really close with their bigs, others like myself wave at them when I see them and ask them any questions I have. And exchange noms with them.

It's not much like a sorority though. It's basically a casual mentor system. Some people get really close with their bigs, others like myself wave at them when I see them and ask them any questions I have. And exchange noms with them.
I feel like that's exactly how it is in my sorority! I'm not very close with my little, but I was there to help introduce her to the campus and help her out with any questions she had!

I feel like that's exactly how it is in my sorority! I'm not very close with my little, but I was there to help introduce her to the campus and help her out with any questions she had!
Well I stand corrected!! I'm sure it varies a lot. I wasn't in a sorority myself, but a few of my friends seemed like they were attached to their big at the hip

Well I stand corrected!! I'm sure it varies a lot. I wasn't in a sorority myself, but a few of my friends seemed like they were attached to their big at the hip
Oh no no I don't mean to say you're wrong! Many girls in my sorority are that way, that just wasn't the case with me! Do you know if Iowa State has the system? I think it would be very helpful!

Oh no no I don't mean to say you're wrong! Many girls in my sorority are that way, that just wasn't the case with me! Do you know if Iowa State has the system? I think it would be very helpful!
Note sure, maybe post over in that thread and see if anyone knows! I imagine most schools have it or something similar. It's a fun, easy way to help first years feel welcome.

You mean nobody is going to haze me by making me dress up in an 80's prom dress, chug a bunch of beer and go into a frat house? Man I was stupid back in undergrad...

You mean nobody is going to haze me by making me dress up in an 80's prom dress, chug a bunch of beer and go into a frat house? Man I was stupid back in undergrad...
Sounds like we had very different Greek experiences...

Reactions: 1 users
You guys would be proud, I'm doing much better being patient. Didn't check my portal for a few days!:rofl:

Now that my VMCAS has been verified, I'm less calm about it. I haven't checked any portal for several days, but that will only hold out for so long.

Now that my VMCAS has been verified, I'm less calm about it. I haven't checked any portal for several days, but that will only hold out for so long.
Right after mine was verified I was like that too! However I was verified in August... So it's just taking me until now to calm down. :laugh:

Right after mine was verified I was like that too! However I was verified in August... So it's just taking me until now to calm down. :laugh:

This is my third rodeo, but I am still kind of jumpy because I haven't applied to do many schools with online portals before. Lol.

This is my third rodeo, but I am still kind of jumpy because I haven't applied to do many schools with online portals before. Lol.
How many schools did you apply to this cycle? Good luck!

Eight! The most I've ever applied to in a cycle because this may be my last go around, so I spread out more and applied smarter. The fact that academics are gone after the interviews are decided and they decide based off your interview and your non-academic stuff is great for me!

Eight! The most I've ever applied to in a cycle because this may be my last go around, so I spread out more and applied smarter. The fact that academics are gone after the interviews are decided and they decide based off your interview and your non-academic stuff is great for me!
Well I'm sure you'll get in!!!! Keep us posted!!! This is such an exciting time!

anyone know if illinois portal go up yet?