University of Incarnate Word-BMS-2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lettucelvr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just opening this thread to see who else is applying to this program for this upcoming year!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there better details out there regarding linkage to the schools? The AACOM info is pretty bad: "Candidates who successfully complete this program are given special admissions consideration, including a guaranteed interview."

No idea..this program just started last year from what I understand. Hoping to hear more info from people who go to the info sessions or current students :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys
Just a heads up to those who have applied and keep checking the portal to see if they received your application materials.
You have to actually email Ms. Fowler and ask her about your application status.

I posted this information in another thread but this is what I've found out about the program. I'm planning on applying to this program as well.

I went to their informational session and the program is a lot like UNT's. It'll be on the brand new campus with all brand new equipment. The program guarantees an interview at the DO school they'll have. They do have an MCAT prep program built into the curriculum. Within the program you do an EMT course where you get to go out on rides in the ambulance and helicopter. The program starts in the fall and runs through the following summer. Since its at a private school the cost of admission is expensive, something like 38000 for the year. The application closes April 15th. They're only accepting about 50 students.

I posted this information in another thread but this is what I've found out about the program. I'm planning on applying to this program as well.

I went to their informational session and the program is a lot like UNT's. It'll be on the brand new campus with all brand new equipment. The program guarantees an interview at the DO school they'll have. They do have an MCAT prep program built into the curriculum. Within the program you do an EMT course where you get to go out on rides in the ambulance and helicopter. The program starts in the fall and runs through the following summer. Since its at a private school the cost of admission is expensive, something like 38000 for the year. The application closes April 15th. They're only accepting about 50 students.
Is that $38,000 just for tuition? :/

Has anyone heard from anyone actually in the program?

Review from someone who I messaged from past thread

"Cons: The EMT course was a mess. I'm sure all of my classmates agreed. Trying to implement an EMT course in a semester in the short amount of time we have last semester didn't turned out well. Our MCAT course was not really useful because our schedule was so heavy loaded not everyone had enough time to truly study the material. I think most of us study the material during the christmas break. Again, this is my opinion I'm sure other students may have more cons. This is a new program and we're the guinea pigs, of course there's going to be hiccups along the way, but they're trying to help us out the best they can. Lastly, the program is expensive compared to UNTHSC.

Pros: Even though my classmates and I have been together for only one semester, we have really grown close and it feels like family. The faculty and staff are amazing, always helpful and wants us to do well. You'll get a guarantee interview to the school of medicine, ours is coming up in 3 weeks. The faculty and staff are going to teach at the medical school and be your instructors as well, so you'll have access to them."

Reactions: 1 user
Review from someone who I messaged from past thread

"Cons: The EMT course was a mess. I'm sure all of my classmates agreed. Trying to implement an EMT course in a semester in the short amount of time we have last semester didn't turned out well. Our MCAT course was not really useful because our schedule was so heavy loaded not everyone had enough time to truly study the material. I think most of us study the material during the christmas break. Again, this is my opinion I'm sure other students may have more cons. This is a new program and we're the guinea pigs, of course there's going to be hiccups along the way, but they're trying to help us out the best they can. Lastly, the program is expensive compared to UNTHSC.

Pros: Even though my classmates and I have been together for only one semester, we have really grown close and it feels like family. The faculty and staff are amazing, always helpful and wants us to do well. You'll get a guarantee interview to the school of medicine, ours is coming up in 3 weeks. The faculty and staff are going to teach at the medical school and be your instructors as well, so you'll have access to them."

Do you know typical stats admitted into this program? Did the MCAT course help you score well on the exam?

At the info session, they said that they will send out decisions by the second week of May.

Last year, they've accepted 53 students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Admission decisions are sent out May 8th. And they're accepting around the same amount as last year

Is that $38,000 just for tuition? :/

The tuition is high, but you are given living expenses as well. The total price for the degree comes out to be about $67,000. Because of the way they do their semesters, the listed price doesn't include the summer session. The summer session (may-june) is an additional $14,000.

I am currently in the program and have really enjoyed it. The EMT class was definitely a lot of extra work and not organized well but there is going to be changes made next year so that should hopefully be better for incoming students. I would agree with the family feel. Since the class is so small and you see each other every day you definitely get to know everyone around you. While we were "guinea pigs", I still feel that I have gained a really solid foundation for medical school. Yes you are guaranteed an interview at UIWSOM, but you are not guaranteed a spot. MCAT prep is included in the program, they hosted the class weekly on campus for us. You will be very busy but if you manage your time right its doable. It is recommended to not work throughout the program if you don't have to, which is why you are given living expenses. I would recommend the program to anyone considering it!

Oh wow, that's so pricy! My undergraduate degree costed less than that.. :-(

Can you explain what kind of stats they're looking for to be accepted to UIWSOM? Is there a minimum MCAT and gpa you must maintain in the MBS program to be given a spot at UIWSOM?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Per their website they do a holistic approach for admission consideration and there is no minimum MCAT or GPA requirement, however we were told they wanted us to maintain a 3.2 GPA or higher and have a 495 or higher, with the target really being 500+ on MCAT. I don't know what their stats will be next year. To be considered in good standing with the university itself, not just UIWSOM, they require a B or higher in all graduate level courses.

Per their website they do a holistic approach for admission consideration and there is no minimum MCAT or GPA requirement, however we were told they wanted us to maintain a 3.2 GPA or higher and have a 495 or higher, with the target really being 500+ on MCAT. I don't know what their stats will be next year. To be considered in good standing with the university itself, not just UIWSOM, they require a B or higher in all graduate level courses.

Is that a 3.2, 495 MCAT for admission into the MBS or for UIWSOM?

It was a minimum to be considered for admission for SOM from the MBS program.

Does anyone know the specific date classes start? When in August did classes start last year?

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows how large the applicant pool is?

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows how large the applicant pool is?

At the last information session, they had told us that 120 people had applied and anticipate more. So maybe 150.

Accepting 60 students.

At the last information session, they had told us that 120 people had applied and anticipate more. So maybe 150.

Accepting 60 students.

Good to know... I've been lurking the SOM thread and some waitlisted applicants have been accepted to the MBS program already.

what's the link for the DO school forum?

I keep beating a dead horse on here, but have any applicants heard back from the program?

"Admissions notification will begin May 8, 2017 for completed files."

"Admissions notification will begin May 8, 2017 for completed files."

At the information sessions, the committee told that they would be calling us for informal interviews and would even offer acceptances prior to that date. Curious if anyone had heard anything prior to May 8.

I have an interview with them on the 25

Congrats! I didn't see anything on their website about interviews. So, not everyone who is accepted receives an interview?
Thank you, and I don't know the answer to that question. Been wondering that all day myself

For those of you accepted already, is there a Facebook group yet?

For those who interviewed for UIWSOM last fall/early spring and applied to MBS post-rejection, do y'all know if we will be interviewed again for the MBS? Kinda seems redundant to make a trip back to San Antonio if we've already interviewed in the past, no?

Did you get accepted already?
Yes, I was accepted off of the DO program's waitlist to the MBS program. I'm not sure how many people they extended that offer to or what part of the waitlist I am on. Here's the email,
"Dear DOCrohns,

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine. At this time, there has been little movement of students off our existing waitlist to the DO program. Because you remain a competitive applicant for medical school, we invite you to consider enrolling in the UIW Master of Biomedical Sciences Program beginning August 14th, 2017. The MBS Program is an innovative one-year program designed to enhance scientific knowledge and professional preparation for students seeking to attend medical school or other health professions training. The MBS Program will help to strengthen academic credentials to ensure success as students pursue advanced degrees. Students in the UIW MBS program receive special consideration for admission to the DO program.

Should you decide to apply to the MBS program….

· The UIW graduate application and MBS supplemental application will need to be completed by April 17th, 2017.

· The $50 supplemental fee will be waived.

· The letters of recommendation included in your AACOMAS application will be used to complete your MBS application.

· You will not need to go through an additional application and interview process.

· You are guaranteed admission to the MBS program.

· You will remain on the DO waitlist. Demonstrated interest in the MBS program will not impact placement on the waitlist. Should you be offered a position in the DO program, your application to the graduate program will be cancelled.

· You must submit final official transcripts from all institutions attended to the UIW Admissions Office.

To learn more about the MBS program, please visit http://www.uiw.edu/mbs/. "

@DOCrohns have you received any other email this week since that one?
I've not, but I emailed Celia to make sure all of my app materials were received on the 17th. She let me know that once they've finished processing my app they'd send me matriculation info.

EDIT: I will try to remember to post that info here when I get it.

Has anyone received an acceptance letter from this program, or interviewed yet?

I was also offered an interview and think interviews were intended for students they still have not decided to accept or deny. They are only doing one day of interviews on May 25th from 9:00am-11:00am that will last approximately 20 minutes each so that would be about 8-10 students maybe. I also think they might already have their list of accepted applicants and want to finalize it with those they feel did great on the interview since they mentioned at an info session not everyone applicant who is accepted will go through an interview.

I was also offered an interview and think interviews were intended for students they still have not decided to accept or deny. They are only doing one day of interviews on May 25th from 9:00am-11:00am that will last approximately 20 minutes each so that would be about 8-10 students maybe. I also think they might already have their list of accepted applicants and want to finalize it with those they feel did great on the interview since they mentioned at an info session not everyone applicant who is accepted will go through an interview.

That's not the only day of interviews. I had to pick another day because the 25th filled up. There's two this week plus the 25th that I know of.

That's not the only day of interviews. I had to pick another day because the 25th filled up. There's two this week plus the 25th that I know of.
Oh my apologies. I guess I misunderstood the email.

There are two interviews this week? Phone interviews or in person..?