University of Maryland (In-State) vs UPenn (Dean's Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRACExYOURSELF25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first post on SDN and I need help! There are plenty of posts out there like this one but none that are recent. Upon hearing back from schools yesterday morning, I'm left with an extremely tough choice. I am a Maryland resident and was lucky enough to receive acceptances from University of Maryland and UPenn. UPenn offered me a Dean's Scholarship of $30,000 per year. I am extremely unsure of what choice to make. These 2 have been my top 2 dream schools and now I'm left to make one of the hardest decisions of my life!

Maryland:
-Total COA (4 years-in state): $324,148. This is based on the estimated $81,037/year COA estimated in their financial aid presentation on interview day.
-Close to home
-I am extremely familiar with the school due to having volunteered there. The faculty/staff are very friendly, as are the students. I have developed connections there, which may facilitate the transition.
-Technology/Clinic: they've had, and continue to have, one of best clinical facilities among dental schools.
-Clerkship Opportunities to practice in a specific area of interest
-Diamond Scholars program (very competitive, but if accepted, can practice with AEGD residents during your fourth year)
-Clinical exposure beginning in 2nd year by working on classmates, but can be exposed as early as 1st year through assisting
-Well-rounded program. Strong clinical reputation, and will prepare you well regardless of whether you want to specialize or not
-Heavy emphasis on community service in Baltimore (community service is something I want to heavily involve myself with during my 4 years.
-Externship in Perryville Clinic during 4th year which will provide additional experience outside in the community
-I got the impression that Maryland had a more culturally diverse patient population, which is of interest to me.

Penn:
-Total COA (4 years, 30k Dean's Scholarship): $343,134. This is based on the total COA estimated in the financial aid budget sheet given out at interviews: total $463134 minus the 120k in scholarship.
-Prefer Philly > Baltimore, more because I'd like to get an experience outside of Baltimore/Maryland.
-Technology/Clinics: although Penn has had a reputation for its "dungeon", the pre-clinical area has been completely renovated and it looks fantastic. Clinics will also be renovated.
-Honors programs -- comparable to Clerkships at Maryland; give you the opportunity to focus in on a particular area of interest, such as Community Oral Health, clinical dentistry (with advanced prosthetic cases), etc.
-Have begun to expose their students earlier on, with clinical experiences beginning in 2nd year.
-High specialization rates (although I'm not sure whether I want to specialize or not, I do know that I'd at least like to do an AEGD or GPR program, so this will be helpful regardless)
-Despite it's reputation for being "academically/research oriented", I got the impression that it is more well-rounded than it gets credit for. Some students I met on interview day didn't do research at all, and were able to focus on other extracurricular activities they were more interested in.
-I have an interest in becoming engaged in dental research to due my research experience in the past.
-Faculty seem extremely dedicated to their students. They give a day off before exams in order to ease stress, and seem very receptive of students' concerns/thoughts.
-I would enjoy the emphasis on dental medicine/ science-based curriculum.
-Time off during summers will give me the opportunity to become involved in other activities/around the community when off from classes.

Overall, the cost difference seems like it'll be manageable. Based on the numerous calculations I've done, it could be a difference of as little as 19k total for COA. The tuition alone ends up being approximately 35 k more total at Upenn for the 4 years. Cost of living is comparable in both cities. I had great experiences at both schools during my interview days.

Any input is greatly appreciated. If there are any possible mistakes in my COA numbers please let me know. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

While I can't give advice on your issue, do you mind posting stats such as DAT and GPA? Just curious

While I can't give advice on your issue, do you mind posting stats such as DAT and GPA? Just curious
Calculated GPA on AADSAS:
-Total: 3.87 (including +/-) and 3.83 (without plus or minus)
-Science: 3.79 (including +/-) and 3.74 (without plus or minus)

DAT:
PAT 20/ QR 19/ RC 22/ BIO 22/ GC 23/ OC 21/ TS 22/ AA 21

I had a pretty large amount of community service/volunteer experience, have worked full time at a dental office for a summer and during my gap year, and 3 years of research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a dental student , I've heard nothing but positive things about Maryland. Really the frontier and innovating everything.

If you are dead set on specializing PENN will give you an edge. If you are leaning toward general but still want a solid chance to specialize -> Maryland.

If cost is very similar, I would choose UPenn even if your not thinking about specializing. If the cost was extremely different, it would be a different story.

Maryland sounds like a pretty comfortable choice from what I've read, and it's cheaper. With all that being said, take some time to think about the decision. We aren't the ones that will be attending the school you choose, you know? Congratulations on your acceptances.

Congrats on your acceptance! I would recalculate the cost provided on the sheets for both schools. How much are tutition and fees, especially mandatory fees versus things like healh insurance, which you may already have.
I am a third year student at Maryland take out 55-60k a year, nowhere near the 80k I am offered.

I always tell people go to the cheapest best school you can. Luckily you have 2 GREAT options! Good luck :)

If you are trying to specialize, go Penn. if you are not dead set on specializing, go Maryland. Their facilities and clinical programs are much better. upenn has a very poor reputation for clinical skills, hand skills, and ability to get patients as a student. Maryland is the opposite.