University of Minnesota c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT IN!!!! MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!

it was excruciating not being able to answer the phone call when it went off in my big lecture hall class.... I saw it vibrating and the caller id said minnesota, but i was forced to just stare at it! lol can't beleive it!

CONGRATS AT ALL OF YOU!!!! @sblove17 @TheComfyCat @98cats @ivory11 @kjbadger and others!!!!!! Its so great to be able to see people that have been on SDN fretting all this time finally get some good news!!!!!!!!!

:highfive::clap::soexcited::biglove::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT IN!!!! MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!

it was excruciating not being able to answer the phone call when it went off in my big lecture hall class.... I saw it vibrating and the caller id said minnesota, but i was forced to just stare at it! lol can't beleive it!

CONGRATS AT ALL OF YOU!!!! @sblove17 @TheComfyCat @98cats @ivory11 @kjbadger and others!!!!!! Its so great to be able to see people that have been on SDN fretting all this time finally get some good news!!!!!!!!!

:highfive::clap::soexcited::biglove::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!

So, uh, hey guys. Does anyone else know for sure if they'll be attending UMN or not? Other than @TheComfyCat and I? Mainly because I was looking at the previous years, and apparently they made facebook pages and I didn't want to start one and be all alone. So, I was just wondering if anyone else knows where they'll be attending next year, yet. If not, I'll wait for a bit. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
So, uh, hey guys. Does anyone else know for sure if they'll be attending UMN or not? Other than @TheComfyCat and I? Mainly because I was looking at the previous years, and apparently they made facebook pages and I didn't want to start one and be all alone. So, I was just wondering if anyone else knows where they'll be attending next year, yet. If not, I'll wait for a bit. :D

I am pretty much decided that this is where I wanna go. I just haven't posted it anywhere else though. I don't use facebook all that much, but if you made the group I'd join. I still have a hard believing that I got in! So much effort to have gotten this far, I am here and I don't believe it!

Reactions: 1 user
No need to hurry too much with the facebook page. I mean by all means go ahead, but you won't see too many of your fellow classmates joining quite yet... it was just a handful of us for the first two months or so last year... and a bunch of current students looking for roommates and being there to answer questions. But when you do make it, you'll want to call it University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine c/o 2018, so that you'll match the formatting of the past few years' groups and people who want to find the group can do so more easily. And you can kick all of the current students out once the school year is actually underway and you don't need all of our advice anymore and we've stopped needing to use facebook to spam you with club announcements.

No need to hurry too much with the facebook page. I mean by all means go ahead, but you won't see too many of your fellow classmates joining quite yet... it was just a handful of us for the first two months or so last year... and a bunch of current students looking for roommates and being there to answer questions. But when you do make it, you'll want to call it University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine c/o 2018, so that you'll match the formatting of the past few years' groups and people who want to find the group can do so more easily. And you can kick all of the current students out once the school year is actually underway and you don't need all of our advice anymore and we've stopped needing to use facebook to spam you with club announcements.

I figured I should wait until more people had decided.

I was wondering about that, too. I swear there was a Facebook page within a few days of the acceptance calls last year. I'm still not sure if I will be needing to defer a year or not. I suppose once it's started up (inevitable) I will join, and if I do defer I'll just excuse myself from the group. Definitely attending next year or the following year, though.

I was wondering about that, too. I swear there was a Facebook page within a few days of the acceptance calls last year. I'm still not sure if I will be needing to defer a year or not. I suppose once it's started up (inevitable) I will join, and if I do defer I'll just excuse myself from the group. Definitely attending next year or the following year, though.

I saw that too!! It was like 3 days after. Haha. So I was just wondering. Also I'm just way too excited and sick of undergrad now. So. Haha yeah. I just wanted to see who I'll be sharing the next 4 years with. :)

The cost is really deterring me... but I LOVED it so much...But $100,000 is a BIG difference....:(

The cost is really deterring me... but I LOVED it so much...But $100,000 is a BIG difference....:(

Keep in mind that there *is* the possibility of getting in state tuition after the first year if you're able to obtain residency. I think I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be able to get residency just because I loved the school so much!!!

Keep in mind that there *is* the possibility of getting in state tuition after the first year if you're able to obtain residency. I think I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be able to get residency just because I loved the school so much!!!

I heard it's really really hard though.

From what I gathered when I went there it seems like getting residency is pretty tough. I feel like they edged around the topic so they wouldn't deter students from attending. I'm left wondering why students would choose Minnesota over another acceptance. While it is a great school, the debt a student will accrue is quite daunting. Lets be honest, a career in veterinary medicine isn't the most lucrative job out there and working against over a quarter million in debt is more than a bit of turn off. I think you really need to dedicate yourself to the state of Minnesota in order to get residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Re: Facebook..... who cares when you make it? If you are excited and want to do it now, go for it. I'd follow dovelover's suggested formatting for the name; it's what the four years ahead of you have done. I'd also make it a closed group (otherwise you'll find a bunch of people randomly joining) with a handful of admins to approve people. Then, I'd let anyone from your incoming (c/o 2018) class join as well as any existing students. And then, like dovelover said, I'd kick us all out somewhere around the end of first semester.

That process has worked pretty well for a few years now. Gives you some upperclasspeeps for advice for a while, but then transitions you to a 'class private' place.

I think dovelover's class was pretty quick to kick us out. Previous classes waited a BIT longer. But their class has a bit of a rep..... ;-)

There also is a school-wide facebook page ("Minnesota CVM Students"), but in the past we've asked people to wait until they actually matriculate before joining. We don't get a list of who is in the incoming class until the beginning of the school year, so there's no way for us to verify whether the person asking to join is an actual incoming student or just some random person on the Internet. Maybe the people admin'ing that page now don't care. I dunno. I'm kinda in "that's somebody else's problem" mode nowadays..... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, by all means make your facebook page now. I made the one last year probably only a few days after getting in, I think. Just making the point to not be let down if there's a lack of action after the first few days...

And definitely make it closed, like LIS said... I got a lot of random creeps requesting to join last year... and still occasionally do. Granted, you may not necessarily know if someone in the class or not right now, but sometimes, it's really easy to tell they're not...

Oh, and by the way LIS, we did not kick you out quickly :p We said we would... and then failed to do so because good advice was still coming in... But by the end of the semester everyone had kinda trickled out, so either they left voluntarily or my fellow admin kicked them out without me realizing...

From what I gathered when I went there it seems like getting residency is pretty tough. I feel like they edged around the topic so they wouldn't deter students from attending. I'm left wondering why students would choose Minnesota over another acceptance. While it is a great school, the debt a student will accrue is quite daunting. Lets be honest, a career in veterinary medicine isn't the most lucrative job out there and working against over a quarter million in debt is more than a bit of turn off. I think you really need to dedicate yourself to the state of Minnesota in order to get residency.
I could never get a straight answer either, which really bums me out..... I did love the school but the more I think about it I loved my other acceptance too and it's much much cheaper.... It will be tough deciding:love:

I could never get a straight answer either, which really bums me out..... I did love the school but the more I think about it I loved my other acceptance too and it's much much cheaper.... It will be tough deciding:love:

I don't believe the issue is that they are trying to dodge; it's that it is a somewhat subjective process, and the university person responsible for determining residency is not specifically employed within the vet school. That makes it hard for the administration to give you a specific "yes you can" or "no you can't" or "this is precisely what you'd have to do" type of answer.

I don't believe nokvetching's assessment (that they're trying to avoid deterring students) is likely to be correct. It doesn't really do the school long-term good to 'sucker' people into attending; we want candidates that will thrive in this specific environment.

That said, I'm from MN so I don't have any personal experience with the residency process.

I don't believe the issue is that they are trying to dodge; it's that it is a somewhat subjective process, and the university person responsible for determining residency is not specifically employed within the vet school. That makes it hard for the administration to give you a specific "yes you can" or "no you can't" or "this is precisely what you'd have to do" type of answer.

I don't believe nokvetching's assessment (that they're trying to avoid deterring students) is likely to be correct. It doesn't really do the school long-term good to 'sucker' people into attending; we want candidates that will thrive in this specific environment.

That said, I'm from MN so I don't have any personal experience with the residency process.
I agree, they definitely made the point that it was a very subjective process, just hate the chances are so slim. Oh the joys of pros and cons! :)

Just to double check, they don't require animal nutrition or animal science no? I have a full offer, but call me crazy to triple check this tiny thing that has been on the back of my mind

Hey guys! Im a current 1st year.. and I recall the page being set up almost immediately too! Go ahead and start it if you want to :) Last year we had a couple of second years on our page as a resource so If you want I would be happy to join the group and try to answer any questions you guys have, wether its about UMN specifically or how to chose a school if you were accepted to multiple or any other questions you may have. I plan on being a GOALE mentor, which if you choose to attend the U you'll hear ALLLL about haha! My email is [email protected] If you want to email me privately with any questions. :) Congrats to all!

Thanks for this - I was taking this course for another university but since I am going with UMN I am dropping it! I half-forgot if they needed it or not, but so glad they don't! Do you know if I need to send my Spring semester transcript if I took this one class and dropped it? It says they want transcripts, but seems only for those with provisional offers.

I would email the school and ask.

It is definitely a tough decision.. and though I LOVEEEEEE UMN and would recommend it to everyone, you will get a great education at any school. Keeping in mind your financial burden following graduation should be a HUGE consideration! With that said- GO GOPHERS!

Well, when I go to make the group, it won't let me until I add "friends." So, if anyone's interested in the facebook page already, let me know, and I can add you to the group so that it can be made. :/

Well, when I go to make the group, it won't let me until I add "friends." So, if anyone's interested in the facebook page already, let me know, and I can add you to the group so that it can be made. :/
When I did it last year, I just invited my mom :eek: and then immediately kicked her out and deleted all evidence of her presence, haha. It is a bit of an annoying little requirement...

Reactions: 2 users
When I did it last year, I just invited my mom :eek: and then immediately kicked her out and deleted all evidence of her presence, haha. It is a bit of an annoying little requirement...
LOL

You can add me.. Nicole Strachan

Hahahaha.

Congrats to all of you who were accepted! I missed my phone call last year and am kind of glad I did because I definitely still have that voicemail saved - and listen to it to remind myself how freaking happy I was when I got in! Also, the FB page for our class (2017) is pretty much the most useful thing in vet school - we all share questions or information about classes and clubs and really use it as a great communication tool.

Congrats to all of you who were accepted! I missed my phone call last year and am kind of glad I did because I definitely still have that voicemail saved - and listen to it to remind myself how freaking happy I was when I got in! Also, the FB page for our class (2017) is pretty much the most useful thing in vet school - we all share questions or information about classes and clubs and really use it as a great communication tool.
Somebody finally succumbed to peer pressure :p

Somebody finally succumbed to peer pressure :p
SDN wasn't on my radar anymore until I saw it on your screen and you know it! I'm also trying to creep into their FB page :) I'm excited to actually be able to tell next years class what to expect, since we were the guinea pig class and the current 2nd years' advice was somewhat hit or miss for our curriculum.

Uh, I guess I'll have to finally make a facebook page so I can join the group...

Sounds like somebody needs to learn to ask better questions. ;)
Fair enough - their advice about local bars/restaurants/events/clubs/experiences was pretty spot on, but as far as what to expect on exams or from specific classes or the curriculum it was, like I said, sometimes very helpful and sometimes not.

Fair enough - their advice about local bars/restaurants/events/clubs/experiences was pretty spot on, but as far as what to expect on exams or from specific classes or the curriculum it was, like I said, sometimes very helpful and sometimes not.

See? And what really matters? Bars, clubs, events, and restaurants!

See? And what really matters? Bars, clubs, events, and restaurants!

It's funny but it's also so true! The clubs etc (any hands on stuff) is about 100x more interesting and exciting than any lecture information. Warning for the incoming class - there are a bunch of great clubs here and you will be forced to make some hard decisions about which lunch meeting to attend sometimes.

Congrats, UMN Class of 2018! So stoked for you!! Especially happy for 98Cats and The Comfy Cat! Way to go! You're gonna be veterinarians! Feels great to achieve your dream, doesn't it?!! Knew you could do it! :clap: :highfive: :claps:

...and how could I forget SbLove, DrToby, so much great news on this thread! My apologies :) Congrats to everyone!!

Congrats, UMN Class of 2018! So stoked for you!! Especially happy for 98Cats and The Comfy Cat! Way to go! You're gonna be veterinarians! Feels great to achieve your dream, doesn't it?!! Knew you could do it! :clap: :highfive: :claps:

Awww, thanks, love! :)

I was impressed by the efficiency of the UMN admissions. All the rejection/ interview invites in one day, three weeks of interviews, then decisions three days after the last day of interviews. The process has been really frustrating with some of the other schools.

Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering - is it possible to get around the city without a car? How good is the transportation system in the St. Paul?

I also have a question for out of state students. Since OOS tuition is so much, I'm assuming you had to take out loans other than government loans, yes? Or how does that work out for you?

I also have a question for out of state students. Since OOS tuition is so much, I'm assuming you had to take out loans other than government loans, yes? Or how does that work out for you?
Nope, all government loans. There is a cap on the stafford loans, but you make up the difference in grad plus loans. However, the school isn't extremely generous with the living allowance, so you do have to keep your loan allotment in mind when picking a place to live. Most people do fine, but depending on your situation, you may have trouble covering your summer months since you don't get financial aid for those times... Again, most people do fine, but just make sure you factor that in to how much rent you want to pay, and consider whether you want to work full time in the summer.

Nope, all government loans. There is a cap on the stafford loans, but you make up the difference in grad plus loans. However, the school isn't extremely generous with the living allowance, so you do have to keep your loan allotment in mind when picking a place to live. Most people do fine, but depending on your situation, you may have trouble covering your summer months since you don't get financial aid for those times... Again, most people do fine, but just make sure you factor that in to how much rent you want to pay, and consider whether you want to work full time in the summer.

Thank you so much! This was helpful. I don't know much about loans at all, so I need to start educating myself. Haha.