University of Southern Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice, good luck... you have a pretty high chance... but you didn't choose Utah it seems........ :eek:

Thank you. This time I will choose both campus. I really want to know my rank but I think right now is not a good time to ask Dr. DeYoung.
I have a question. Did any of you buy the insurance from USN? The package only has the form for waiver but didn't really say anything about what if I want to buy USN insurance.

This is the link for USN Fall 2009 wait list. Join me over there if you're on the wait list.:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you. This time I will choose both campus. I really want to know my rank but I think right now is not a good time to ask Dr. DeYoung.
I have a question. Did any of you buy the insurance from USN? The package only has the form for waiver but didn't really say anything about what if I want to buy USN insurance.

This is the link for USN Fall 2009 wait list. Join me over there if you're on the wait list.:love:

In the form that has you choose to pay for tuition, there is a place where you can put a check mark if you agree to buy USN's health insurance. If you already have your own health insurance then the waiver form is what you would need to complete.

I called USN today and they told me that unless you have your own insurance,that case fill out the waiver, the school automatically includes a ins plan for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it easy to find a job in a pharmacy in hospital in Nevada?

Is it easy to find a job in a pharmacy in hospital in Nevada?

I work for Walgreens in Las Vegas, as an intern your hours are not billed to the store so yes as an intern you find a job instantly cause essentially its for free from the store's budget. District will be paying your wages this is given that you accept their scholarship.

I work for Walgreens in Las Vegas, as an intern your hours are not billed to the store so yes as an intern you find a job instantly cause essentially its for free from the store's budget. District will be paying your wages this is given that you accept their scholarship.

Could you elaborate? I have not heard about the scholarship. We can expect to get payed?

Could you elaborate? I have not heard about the scholarship. We can expect to get payed?

If your not already working for Walgreens go to their website and apply for an intern position. Each year they give you X amount of dollars, but if you take the scholarship you have to work 3 years at Walgreens once you graduate from Pharmacy school.

I beleive they disburse $1,000 your first year and it increases each year. This is all corporate level so when it comes to finding a store you will be hired because taking the money is somewhat of a contract so Walgreens has to hire you.

In some states you can take the scholarship and work hourly on a wage as well. In others you have to accept either or...for example if you accept the scholarship for the year you will work off the amount they pay you in full. I currently work for Walgreens so either I could just work for them as an intern or accept their scholarship as well.

I hope this explains things.

So if they ask you to work in any store after graduation you have to go there and work. I'm just afraid they ask me to work in some area too far from my home.

Is anyone who has been accepted to the Fall '09 pharmacy class applying for the MBA program at the South Jordan UTAH campus?? :xf: Just wondering if I'm the only one... Haha!

Is anyone who has been accepted to the Fall '09 pharmacy class applying for the MBA program at the South Jordan UTAH campus?? :xf: Just wondering if I'm the only one... Haha!

I am also attending at the Utah campus for the Fall '09. I still deciding whether I should apply for the MBA program also.

Can any one please help me in deciding utah vs nevada.
what are the adv and disavan about the campuses

I have already applied for MBA program and now i m just waiting for a confirmation e-mail and further documentation.

PharmD/MBA in 3 yrs sounds gr8 to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also attending at the Utah campus for the Fall '09. I still deciding whether I should apply for the MBA program also.

hey Lovelyf801,

Did you get all the documentation from them?!!!!!!! I am waiting for it for like last 15 days!!!:rolleyes:

And mike,

When I talked with MBA dept. regarding this program it was sound like doable thingi!!!

I guess you should call them n ask all the questions you have. They r very polite and will give you best advise.

Hey guys, I need you advice. I'm debating should I go to MBA program or take 3 summer classes and then graduate to get a B.S.?

hey Lovelyf801,

Did you get all the documentation from them?!!!!!!! I am waiting for it for like last 15 days!!!:rolleyes:

And mike,

When I talked with MBA dept. regarding this program it was sound like doable thingi!!!

I guess you should call them n ask all the questions you have. They r very polite and will give you best advise.

Thanks amhPharmD. I will look into it.... I might pull the trigger and do it. :)

You still get a choice? I think they said that the curriculum is the same in both locations so it comes down to personal preference. Do you like more students or less? Hot weather or cold? I think Utah may be a bit cheaper in cost of living but you can look that up. Is one location closer to your home? There may be differences in clubs and activities but I can't say one way or another. Maybe you can talk to some students at each campus and try and figure out which one will be a better fit.

I too was struggling with this. In the end, I decided to attend the Nevada campus. I felt more comfortable going to Nevada because I'd went there for my interview. I prefer warm weather, and I absolutely love palm trees! Also, recreational activities are important to me--swimming, roller blading, tennis, etc, and I just don't see myself being able to do that as much in a place where the temperature runs on the colder side.

Again, I think it all comes down to personal preference if you get to choose between the two campuses.

In my situation, I really wanted to attend the Nevada campus at first since it's closer to home but since I only got into UT, I am more than happy to accept that choice. When I moved to UT, I actually didn't like it at first but grew to love it. The weather is nice (except during the winter when it snowed of course), the people are very friendly, the campus is quite new, the staff is awesome, and I just loved it here.

I actually think that NV campus will have too much of a distraction for a lot of people when they want to study. So hopefully you guys will pick the right decision on what you think will be best for YOU. :D

Ok, my only advice to incoming students regarding the insurance is... try your best to find a good insurance plan outside cos the insurance sucks! Hahaha...don't tell them a student said that of course :p. The insurance doesn't cover a lot and those discount program is crappy. But if you guys can't find any good one out there, then buy it from the school.

It's really tough as I am trying to find a good plan out there to switch too... And let me tell you guys one very important thing, make sure to turn in your waiver ON TIME because if it's past the deadline, the insurance reps is not very lenient about it at all. So good luck to everyone!!! :luck:

And congrats to all who have been accepted...i am very excited to meet you guys this coming August. As for those who are still waiting, you still have until Aug. 1st to be accepted... so keep your hopes up high and pray for the best. :xf:

I actually think that NV campus will have too much of a distraction for a lot of people when they want to study. So hopefully you guys will pick the right decision on what you think will be best for YOU. :D

I KNOW!!! All those Buffets! That's where you'll be finding me! :laugh:

I'm pretty sure you can do it in another state.

You can do your rotations in another state besides Nevada and Utah but you may have to do a lot of the "set up" on your own

What’s the typical day like at USN? Is the lecture from 8am to 3pm or do we have breaks from lecture?

What’s the typical day like at USN? Is the lecture from 8am to 3pm or do we have breaks from lecture?

Class is scheduled from 8-3 with a 1 hour lunch break in the middle. Class doesn't always go until 3pm though as sometimes we get out before then. Most professors will mix in team activities that break up their lecture. Even if they don't mix in team excercises they'll usually take a 5-10 minute break after lecturing for 50-55 minutes.

How hard is it to pass every assessment?

I'm worried about that 90% mark on every assessment since alot of graduate programs I've heard of it is difficult to consistently reach that mark. How much do you need to study in order to succeed?

Are assessments mainly about having a great memory?

What percentage of people make it to the final year?

Would you recommend going there, why or why not?

How hard is it to pass every assessment?

I'm worried about that 90% mark on every assessment since alot of graduate programs I've heard of it is difficult to consistently reach that mark. How much do you need to study in order to succeed?

Are assessments mainly about having a great memory?

What percentage of people make it to the final year?

Would you recommend going there, why or why not?

It is very much do-able to pass every assessment, you just have to study consistently everyday. And a lot of the exams are based on memory but some do required some applications, like the Math part. Most of the people in the class will make it to the final year if you work hard. It is not as bad as what some of the students have said about people dropping out. I would recommend USN because i've grown to love this school. It is sometimes stressful during exam week and stuff like that but because it's a 3 yr program, I guess it is expected. Hope this helps! :love:

hi there, I am in Las Vegas for a week,...will be looking for apartments as i am starting pharmacy school in the fall. All the current students at the school or all those who got accepted for the fall semester, have you found out which apartment complexes you will be staying at???..
any suggestions..??...I will really appreciate as i will be going to look at several apartments this week..., I just want to get done with it so I can come back in mid August..:)

hey Lovelyf801,

And mike,

Yeah I sent my MBA application in about 2 1/2 weeks ago but have not heard any reply... I was thinking maybe it got lost in the mail. I think they are waiting to see if enough students apply to do the MBA in Utah this year... if not enough apply, I think they won't hold MBA classes in Utah. I guess we'll just keep waitin! :)

hi there, I am in Las Vegas for a week,...will be looking for apartments as i am starting pharmacy school in the fall. All the current students at the school or all those who got accepted for the fall semester, have you found out which apartment complexes you will be staying at???..
any suggestions..??...I will really appreciate as i will be going to look at several apartments this week..., I just want to get done with it so I can come back in mid August..:)

Will apartment complexes hold a place for you until August?

If you have a facebook you should join our facebook group, I made a post about apartments there.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=48306797967&ref=ts

Hey guys. Congrats on your acceptances!

I'm applying to USN this summer for next year mainly because of their academic forgiveness policy. I had a quick question.

I remember reading somewhere a year or two ago that +'s and -'s don't count in USN (e.g. B+ = B in terms of GPA calculation for admission). Is this true or am I hallucinating?

That is true. Pluses and minuses do not count when you are computing your science GPA. They do count on your overall GPA calculations I believe.

Yeah I sent my MBA application in about 2 1/2 weeks ago but have not heard any reply... I was thinking maybe it got lost in the mail. I think they are waiting to see if enough students apply to do the MBA in Utah this year... if not enough apply, I think they won't hold MBA classes in Utah. I guess we'll just keep waitin! :)

hey Lovelife801,

I have received all the documents from the MBA dept. and i have filled the acceptance offer letter n financial doc. sent it back today..

There are 9 students @ Utah campus for MBA and 20 @ nevada. The orientation date is july 6 and classes starts from july 7.

i would recommend you to call them ask if they have received documents from you!

If you have a facebook you should join our facebook group, I made a post about apartments there.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=48306797967&ref=ts

I sent a request to join this group in facebook, and am waiting to join..:p..!!
classof 2012 students, have anyone ofyou decided which apartment complex they will be staying at or waiting till August..??..I have looked at information about several apartments near school...but still deciding...any sugestions...???:love:

I sent a request to join this group in facebook, and am waiting to join..:p..!!
classof 2012 students, have anyone ofyou decided which apartment complex they will be staying at or waiting till August..??..I have looked at information about several apartments near school...but still deciding...any sugestions...???:love:

You should check out Mesa Club Apartment. Their website is Laramaragroup.com. It is 2 minutes away from campus. The rent is not bad; $599-625 a month. However, the website has it listed for $730-800. They might waived your application fee if you tell them that you are a student.

You should check out Mesa Club Apartment. Their website is Laramaragroup.com. It is 2 minutes away from campus. The rent is not bad; $599-625 a month. However, the website has it listed for $730-800. They might waived your application fee if you tell them that you are a student.

It sounds cool for me. Could you pls give more info, like is it price for one bed? how much for the deposit? ...

It sounds cool for me. Could you pls give more info, like is it price for one bed? how much for the deposit? ...

Krystal.....

You can search for "Mesa Club Apartment" in yahoo or goggle. This apartment is also listed in Aparmentforrent.com or forrent.com
Check those two websites for info and pix.

Hey everyone. How soon will you all be moving to Nevada? I'll be there the first week of August. Maybe we all could meet and hang out before school starts.

I will be applying to USN come this fall - for those of you that just went through this process (and any current students that remember) can you enlighten me regarding the following:

From everything I have read regarding USN's application and admission process, it seems that applying as soon as possible is the best course of action. To follow this would mean applying as soon as the application becomes available which I believe is in September. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this as I can't seem to pinpoint when the application is available each year.

I have a few things that make me concerned about applying that early (September). The first one is that at that point I will have only completed four of the five required math/science courses. By the end of the fall semester December 18th, I will have completed five but that is beyond the application date. So, is it in my best interest to A) apply as soon as possible regardless or B) talk to my instructor so she can finalize my grade before the official end date of the class and try and get my application in at the last second so that it shows completion of all five of the science/math prereqs needed by December.

I guess my confusion stems from the fact that USN's instructions say five of the science/math requirements need to be completed by December. Is that by the beginning of December or the end of it? Anyway, before bothering Dr. Deyoung with this I figured I would try asking here.

To summarize, if I apply in September I will have completed the A&P requirement (2 classes), the Chemistry requirement (2 classes) and the English requirement (1 class). I will be in the process of completing at that time the OChem req (1 class) and the Speech req (1 class). For spring all I will have left is the final OChem req (1 class), the Micro req (1 class), and the Calculus req (1 class).

Also, I am concerned about the PCAT scores I will be submitting if I apply early in the process. I plan on taking the June, August and October PCAT tests. I expect to have my highest score in October. Since this is the first year that the PCAT is being required does anyone know if applying in September would be better if you still believe you can score higher in October?

Lastly, I know that there is a point system (I have heard about the famous Dr. Deyoung Excel spreadsheet) and am wondering how the new PCAT requirement will play into the point totals. I am stressing big time over the PCAT and wondering if anyone knows if USN has any guidelines about what their PCAT minimum will be....if they even will have such a thing. Since this is the first year it is required I imagine things will not be set in stone just yet...or maybe I am just hoping this.

Okay, I know this was a crazy long post but I want to get things straight in my head about my timeline before that time is upon me.

Any info is appreciated.

Signed - Future hopeful USN student

USN is not a rolling admissions school so it doesn't really matter when you apply. I applied on the last day and the only real consequence of that was that I had to watch people getting their acceptances before I even had my interview. If you apply early and have competitive stats, you can get an earlier interview than if you apply late. But in your case, I'm not sure they will even extend you an interview until they see your fall transcripts because you won't have five necessary classes yet. You'll have to ask Dr. DeYoung about that.

As far as the PCAT, I doubt anybody knows much about what kind of scores they will be looking for because it wasn't required before. I did notice that you won't be taking calculus before any of your PCAT attempts. Have you considered taking that class in summer school? It will help your scores and you will have five prereqs complete before you apply.

hmmm...I wonder what kind of laptop we are going to get.....?

Hi guys/gals,

First off, Congrats to those accepted and for those on the waitlist, it's not over till its over so you still have a chance.

Ok, so my landlady (a P3 graduating this year) has 2 rooms available to rent out in a house (gated community) about 2.5 miles from school so if any of you are interested in checking it out or for more info, please message me.

Thanks you guys/gals

I just got accepted for utah! I was top 30 for utah and 31-60 for nevada. Im currently on the wait list for nevada.

I didn't recieve the packet yet but Dr. D told me... I'm looking for a roommate who has a similar lifestyle to myself. Other than the basics (being clean, quiet and respectful in times of study, etc.), I would like to find someone who is maybe into what I do: bodybuild... I eat specific foods, weigh my foods, etc. If anyone is of this type please reply to me :)

And whoever is still on the waitlist... BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone in Nevada know if a pharmacy technician license gets revoked when the licensee no longer works at a pharmacy? will the license still be eligible for renewal? I haven't worked in a pharmacy for over a year (unfortunately, casinos pay more and bills need to get paid).

I just got accepted for utah! I was top 30 for utah and 31-60 for nevada. Im currently on the wait list for nevada.

I didn't recieve the packet yet but Dr. D told me... I'm looking for a roommate who has a similar lifestyle to myself. Other than the basics (being clean, quiet and respectful in times of study, etc.), I would like to find someone who is maybe into what I do: bodybuild... I eat specific foods, weigh my foods, etc. If anyone is of this type please reply to me :)

And whoever is still on the waitlist... BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hi Ramzy,
i got in Utah campus too and will move from CA. if you know any apartment place, pls let me know. i am nt into body building, but i eat healthy, clean and quiet. do you already rent a place there? are you moving or from Utah. pls let me know. i will be glad to add you in my facebook if there is any facebook link for utah students.

hi Ramzy,
i got in Utah campus too and will move from CA. if you know any apartment place, pls let me know. i am nt into body building, but i eat healthy, clean and quiet. do you already rent a place there? are you moving or from Utah. pls let me know. i will be glad to add you in my facebook if there is any facebook link for utah students.

Hi dhau,

I am still currently on the wait list for Las Vegas and since I am currently living in Las Vegas it is still my #1 option but I did get into Utah. So far, I have only been looking for apartments online and have yet to ask Dr. Deyoung for a roommate or apartment list. I am going to travel there before August around June-July to take a look and investigate myself. Add me to facebook, my full name is Ramzy Moubarak and my email account is [email protected]. For some reason, the facebook group made for the 2012 USN class is not responding to my request to join the group (since it is a private group) and I even emailed the administrator of the group with no response back. I'm thinking of making our own group specifically for Utah and not both campuses...

Anyways, hope to see you all soon

in response to rx702. . . a dell business laptop that's not so attractive