University of Toronto Pharmacy 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The weighting is entirely speculative, as the admissions office never officially released anything. Don't waste time discussing what makes sense and what doesnt. Just focus on the interview as that's probably the only component in our control now.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who wrote the PCAT in January 2015, should we expect official results in these next few weeks via email?

hey everyone! Is there a limit to how many people they invite for interviews? Or is it all based on minimum requirements? ~750 applicants this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone! Is there a limit to how many people they invite for interviews? Or is it all based on minimum requirements? ~750 applicants this year.

I would assume they have a cap of roughly 500 because this is what is seen most years. That's a good question to email them about though.

For those who wrote the PCAT in January 2015, should we expect official results in these next few weeks via email?

Your official scores are posted on the PCAT site and you'll get an email when they post it. I think it took mine about 3-4 weeks after writing it this past summer.

I would assume they have a cap of roughly 500 because this is what is seen most years. That's a good question to email them about though.

Your official scores are posted on the PCAT site and you'll get an email when they post it. I think it took mine about 3-4 weeks after writing it this past summer.

urg now I'm worried. you think 3.3 and 99 PCAT is enough for a interview invite?

Anyone know if someone from school A averages a 3.5 GPA is equally competitive as someone from school B who averages a 3.5 GPA as well? Even though getting a good grade in school A is more difficult.

Anyone know if someone from school A averages a 3.5 GPA is equally competitive as someone from school B who averages a 3.5 GPA as well? Even though getting a good grade in school A is more difficult.

As unfair as it may seem no one cares what school you went or the difficulty of your program. Lesson is out of high school go in to the easiest university with the easiest program and just take the pre-reqs you need as electives.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who got admitted to U of T Pharmacy, does a bad writing score hurt your chances? I got a 99 composite but only scored a 3 on writing (which is the minimum cutoff based on the last 2 years) and now I'm paranoid :3

With a composite like that, I wouldn't be worried at all. I don't really expect the cutoffs to change though, since I haven't heard of a lot of people getting >4.

For people asking whether their PCAT scores are competitive enough, take a look at: http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/pharmd/admissions/pcat if you haven't already :D

There are some upward trends, but a lot of the requirements have stayed pretty steady. I'd breathe easy if your own scores are at or above the cut-offs from last year.

I think the interview must rank pretty high in the final decision, and can offset a less competitive GPA, because I've heard of people with pretty great GPAs and PCAT scores being rejected/waitlisted.

beware mol pharm, pretty sure a bunch of 1t8s will be joining you guys next year Q_Q @Ayase

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see some people pointing fingers :'(. I STUDIED

What'd you all get for writing score?
Is 5 a good score?? So confused since the mean was 3.8 which seems like I did average

So the mean was 3.8, and you got a 5? 5 is hardly average. I've never met anyone who did that well ahaha.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew what GPA & PCAT Scores students usually have to be given an interview.
My GPA is not as competitive and its really discouraging me.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew what GPA & PCAT Scores students usually have to be given an interview.
My GPA is not as competitive and its really discouraging me.

You'll be given an interview as long as you meet the cutoffs for GPA and PCAT.

So. How many people are secretly applying to pharmacy...and haven't told any of their friends?

me lol
but hopefully none of my friends are browsing these forums... Why are you keeping it a secret, Angoose?

The Angoose is 1t8's pride and joy.

got a 3 on the writing score as well. tbh I was worried about even checking my official report because I had a feeling that essay didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped lol but yay aA made the cut off!!

BTW Interview invites coming two weeks (first week of March)! eep so close!

@darkchaos are you going to attend the Pre-Med club's mock MMI event? it's this Friday! seems like a good way to prepare for pharm MMIs.

I'm just praying that they don't raise the essay cut-off above a 3, although I thought I did a bit better on it :S My friends were shocked that I had been secretly studying for the PCAT though!

me lol
but hopefully none of my friends are browsing these forums... Why are you keeping it a secret, Angoose?

Ahaha I didn't keep it a secret, but I know some people do for various reasons :). Maybe it's to avoid a competitive atmosphere?

Last edited:
@pharm-ninja No, because I have to study for my immunology test on thursday and there is a lot of information. I hear that the career center gives mock MMIs though.

What mock MMIs are you talking about though? Im not aware of any...

Why aren't you applying for med school? You have the gpa and EC's. As long as your GPA > 2.7 , you should get a interview.

I think UW uses a 4.5 GPA scale, while U of T uses a 4.0 GPA scale,so youll need to tweak it a bit. The maximum mark that you can get in pharm is 90%, and that is if you got >90% in all courses. I believe the old pharm table of converting percentages in courses to percentages in U of T pharm school was posted in the IT8 or IT7 thread. Look at that and post your new average.

Hey guys can someone who has previously applied give me an idea of what my chances of getting an interview to UofT (and UW) pharm are based on my stats?

Here are my stats:

GPA 4.0 (~92% average)
PCAT
Verbal ability 68
Biology 79
Reading comprehension 78
Quantitative Ability 98
Chemistry 97
Composite 94

Thank you!

Is this a serious post? Or are you just hoping people will compliment your stats? :p

Based on your stats, your chances of an interview at U of T are golden (unless they raise the requirements significantly, which is highly, highly unlikely, don't worry). Probably quite good at Waterloo too, but they also take into consideration references, so your stats are just a snapshot. Overall, it doesn't look like you'll run into issues.

I'm not telling anyone because I'm embarrassed... It's a cop out for medical school failures

I'm not telling anyone because I'm embarrassed... It's a cop out for medical school failures

Wow..I honestly feel bad for you. I really hope you don't get accepted and don't pursue pharmacy because I gaurantee you will be miserable. Most people don't apply to Pharmacy school just because they can't get into med school. Some people just don't want to be doctors, is that hard to understand? I'm sorry that you were a dissapointment to your parents, just don't lash out on the internet.

Rant over.

Reactions: 1 users

There is much more to life than medical school. If you're going into pharm because of med schools failures you will be unhappy, however if you tried to get into med , did not succeed but found that you would be genuinely interested in pharm then thats a different story. Med school is insanely difficult to get into, sometimes life doesnt work out the way you hope for but instead opens up new opportunities that may be better for you or that you may enjoy even more but that you never took the time to seriously consider. Being able to accept situations as they are and to adapt to new circumstances are crucial going forward in your life, Im telling you this as someone a little older with a little more experience.

Im telling you now that your attitude of being embarrassed is going to bring you a lot of unhappiness. You tried for med ok be proud you gave it a shot, be proud that you gave your best and that you tried, many people dont even take that step. Also, be thanfkful that you have an opportunity to also pursue some amazing other careers in healthcare, dont ever think youre above pharm or youre settling for pharm, this is a different career than medicine and has the potential to provide you with an amazing and fulfilling career, perhaps even more than medicine. If you have the mindset of a Med, Dent, Pharm heirarchy then youre making the wrong decision, honestly listen to your gut, if you dont feel excited about this career and are embarrassed to say that you applied then you need to re examine your priorities and make a serious decision. Deep down only you can decide whats best for you.

I know this is a long response, just wanted to give you some new perspectives and maybe help you think about matters in a different light. Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users
For those who got in last year, would you mind telling us the PCAT cut-offs for the interview? I read somewhere that RC and few other sections were bumped up. And also the final PCAT score for admission if you know that too!
Or is it that the min PCAT scores on the UofT website is the adjusted one?

Last edited:
I believe as long as you meet the requirements on the UofT website you'll be guaranteed an interview. However, if your PCAT and GPA is below the average then make sure you do well on the MMIs!! Tbh, I think the MMIs play a huge role in the whole process. I know people with high PCATs/GPAs but did poorly on the MMIs that didn't get in, while some with average or low PCAT/GPAs but aced the MMIs that got in.

My stats:
GPA: 78.8% average
Verbal Ability 46
Reading Comprehension 52
Quantitative Ability 80
Biology 95
Chemistry 92
Composite 83
Writing 4

I was confident with 8/10 of the MMIs. Also seeing that my VA and RC are ****, I think -don't quote me- they pay more attention to the other sections. Got accepted right away, no waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
ok thanks everyone!
I'll do a year of pharmacy and then apply again to medical school next year with my pharmacy grades

Ya you're right 100%, stay away from those foreign med schools...carribean schools manipulate the residency matching statistics that they show you...what you dont know is how many people flunk out or get approved to write the board exams etc. its only getting more and more competitive and the chance you dont match for a residency is a game over, 200k+ in debt with no job and -4 years of your life...not worth it....plus australian, carribean, cambridge, oxford, ireland, it doesnt matter where you go when you apply to match you are an international med graduate regardless...

PharmD debt is not too bad, around 100k or more depending on your living situation, at the end of the day, you can get a job to pay it off, its an investment..
lol what a hippocrite based on your reply to me...

lol what a hippocrite based on your reply to me...

Hippocrate? I didnt mean for my reply to sound condescending, but maybe I didnt express my ideas clear. I was just trying to say that theres nothing wrong with applying to Pharm if you dont get into to medicine, just make sure that you will actually enjoy being in the program and choosing this path. I wasnt trying to be insulting I was trying to offer you some different perspectives because I can understand that these decisions really are tough.

Its a long program leading to something you will do for the rest of your life, its not fun being miserable or stuck in a career that you dont like or that doesnt leave you feeling fulfilled.

Because said that you were embarrassed of telling people you applied I suggested to think about this decision a little more, what happens when you become a pharmacist, will you be embarrassed then to tell people what you're doing then? All I was suggesting is to reflect on the choice because I know how hard these decisions are and how stressful applications can be.

The discussion you quoted was a reply I made to someone deciding between foreign med schools and pharm. This is a different circumstance because no matter how much someone wants to be a physician I would still never recommend going abroad (but this is just my opinion). I was trying to inform someone a little better, thats why I brought up the debt, someone who doesn't match to residency from a foreign school is in crippling debt that and left in a terrible position that can seriously ruin their entire life because they can never pay it off. Therefore in this situation, the financial implications should definitely play a factor in someones decision in addition and not just how bad they might want medicine.

If it was a discussion between an american med school and Pharm I would have recommended the person who wants to be a doctor to go to the American school despite the debt because they will be able to pay it off and are very unlikely to get stuck without a residency.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I've been a lurker until now. Since everyone is sharing their stats, I'll share mine too.
My stats:
GPA: 71.3%
Verbal Ability 41
Reading Comprehension 53
Quantitative Ability 58
Biology 71
Chemistry 57
Composite 58
Writing 3

I know my stats aren't as great as a lot of yours, but do you guys think I have a chance at interviews? This is my second time applying, but I'm really hoping this is the year...

Gentle Lover, I'm sure there are other students in the same position as you. Your stats are definitely fine. As long as you meet the cutoffs you'll be given an interview. Stay strong, brother.

ok thanks everyone!
I'll do a year of pharmacy and then apply again to medical school next year with my pharmacy grades

If you're serious, noooooooooooooooooo, don't do it.

Why waste the tuition?

Don't under-estimate the curriculum, it's not easy, especially when you consider the 8 courses in first semester. You're much more likely to get med school-level marks in an undergrad program than 1st year undergrad.

Also, you would be stealing a position in the program from somebody who truly wants to be a pharmacist. And what would you say if a med school interviewer asks how you they know you won't just leave medicine for greener pastures?

Hey guys, I've been a lurker until now. Since everyone is sharing their stats, I'll share mine too.
My stats:
GPA: 71.3%
Verbal Ability 41
Reading Comprehension 53
Quantitative Ability 58
Biology 71
Chemistry 57
Composite 58
Writing 3

I know my stats aren't as great as a lot of yours, but do you guys think I have a chance at interviews? This is my second time applying, but I'm really hoping this is the year...

Lol....i applied with a 98%PCAT and a 3.5 gpa and didnt get accepted. good luck with that hehehe