University of Toronto Pharmacy c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talk to some new calls from law school and you'll learn very quickly that their market is saturated as well. It's not an easy time for jobs anywhere really.

Members don't see this ad.

Having to relocate to small towns/cities is proof that the field is saturated. I don't see doctors or lawyers having to relocate to smaller towns in order to get jobs.

I'm not saying relocate to small towns/cities, literally just move out of the cities where there is a pharmacy school, as there would naturally be saturation at the source of pharmacy grads who would want to stay in that particular city.

Reactions: 1 user
Talk to some new calls from law school and you'll learn very quickly that their market is saturated as well. It's not an easy time for jobs anywhere really.

Not sure how accurate this information is but uoft law graduates are likely to land a job at many of the bay street law firms from what I've heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how accurate this information is but uoft law graduates are likely to land a job at many of the bay street law firms from what I've heard.

I swear I'm not trying to argue for the sake of argument, but you're comparing apples and oranges. Yes there is a law school in Toronto but Bay Street law firms are arguably the biggest / most dense area for law employment in Canada, so naturally it would follow that many graduates can stay there.

As for pharmacy jobs; I've been job searching for pharmacy assistant jobs over the past 6 months in my city (London) and there's never not been multiple pharmacist jobs posted at any given time, from what I've seen.

That being said who knows what the climate will be in 4 years, but I think it's favourable. We're not opening any new schools or churning out higher numbers of grads every year like our southern neighbors, however as the population shifts towards the elderly (due to the boomers) there will be a higher need for pharmacists than ever to manage their medication needs since they're all often on so many medications etc., not to mention all the aging pharmacists who will be retiring soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Well it's not like there's plenty of jobs for pharmacists either, it's a pretty saturated field at this point since people figured out you can make $100k or over with 6 years of schooling
Well I don't know about other places, but in the area that I live, there are always quite a few job openings for pharmacists whenever I check, more than any other job I've searched.

My boyfriend recently got called to the bar. I know the reality very well and many of his friends struggling. Not to mention there are many law schools in Ontario also flooding Toronto lol

Not being pretentious... but with a 3.8 GPA, a 95 comp PCAT score and a generally good feeling about the MMI - is it even possible to receive a rejection??

Again not being arrogant just trying to receive some insight!! Thanks!

Not being pretentious... but with a 3.8 GPA, a 95 comp PCAT score and a generally good feeling about the MMI - is it even possible to receive a rejection??

Again not being arrogant just trying to receive some insight!! Thanks!
I don't think it's possible for you to get rejected !! Everything is great

i find though that everyone leaves the MMI session feeling medium to pretty good

i find though that everyone leaves the MMI session feeling medium to pretty good
I agree... but I dont think that my MMI score could be so outrageously low that it would impact my other stats (when considering overall applicant score)

Hi guys I would like some feedback if I have any chance of getting accepted:
GPA: 3.4 (percentage turns out to be 85ish somehow) I finished my 3rd year without a full course load any year.
PCAT composite: 90
Biology: 78
Chemistry:99
RC: 35 :(
Quantitative: 89
Writing: 3.5
Interview: feel pretty good about it.
Should I take the PCAT again?

GPA: 3.4 (percentage turns out to be 85ish somehow) I finished my 3rd year without a full course load any year.

for the percentage, id just check out the conversion factor i posted earlier if your school only provides letter grades and not percentages. your pcat composite score is fine so i wouldnt worry about that

Members don't see this ad :)

On their website its says they give preference to people who can successfully carry a full course load

On their website its says they give preference to people who can successfully carry a full course load
Yeah I saw that. I actually had a full course load this year but ended up dropping a course later. Regretting my decision now

How much of a difference does a full course load make? I have taken a full course load each semester and was able to maintain great marks -- is this likely to boost my chances a little, moderately, or a lot?

How much of a difference does a full course load make? I have taken a full course load each semester and was able to maintain great marks -- is this likely to boost my chances a little, moderately, or a lot?

Its more a baseline thing.. like having a year of full course load is what they expect, not having a full year will weaken the application. Admissions office mentioned this to me

I think you need to have full course load for 2+ years?

it can either be 5+5 or 6+4

I think you need to have full course load for 2+ years?

it can either be 5+5 or 6+4
The office said they just need us to show one year of full course load to prove that we can manage it.

does anybody see a decisions tab on their pharmsis page?

Wow, going through this forum I feel incredibly nervous now. I felt alright before, but now I'm not so steady. Could someone assess my chances please?

cGPA: 83.97%
PCAT composite: 98
biology: 99
CR: 96
quantitative: 62
chemistry: 98
writing sample: 4
MMI: felt really quite good about it (I was kind of indirectly told that I did above average on the collaboration session leader task. I know this has no bearing on any of the other stations)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow, going through this forum I feel incredibly nervous now. I felt alright before, but now I'm not so steady. Could someone assess my chances please?

MMI: felt really quite good about it (I was kind of indirectly told that I did above average on the collaboration session leader task. I know this has no bearing on any of the other stations)

Thanks!

Your numbers are as good if not better than most people who post their marks here for assessment. So, you have a pretty good chance based on the numbers, but hard to gauge the MMI.

Thanks!
Looking good, mirin that writing score. Based on SD posts from past years you should have a very good chance of getting in.
BTW, could I also get my chances assessed?

cGPA: 3.88, ~87%
PCAT COMP: 97
BIO: 94
CHEM: 99
MATH: 96
CR: 82
ESSAY: 3.5
MMI: Felt like I did good/okay in each station. A few of the questions even matched those I had been using for practice. Can't remember the specifics, but I felt a lot more confident about this MMI than another one I did to get into my current undergrad program.

Looking good, mirin that writing score. Based on SD posts from past years you should have a very good chance of getting in.

MMI: Felt like I did good/okay in each station. A few of the questions even matched those I had been using for practice. Can't remember the specifics, but I felt a lot more confident about this MMI than another one I did to get into my current undergrad program.

How were you able to convert a 3.88 to 87%? Because according to UofT a 3.9 = 85%

How were you able to convert a 3.88 to 87%? Because according to UofT a 3.9 = 85%
Isn't 4.0 100% at UofT? And someone posted the letter grade conversions so that is what you use to calculate cGPA

I don't think you should be worried at all! You seem to have a good chance and if you look at the forum post from last year you'll see that many people had lower scores than you and still got in! :)

I find it weird how 3.8 just turns out to be 87% because I have a 3.4 cGPA which turns out to be 83% when I did the letter grade conversions... I think either of us are calculating wrong

Kind of nervous and hoping SDN marks are on the higher side! But my stats are;
GPA= ~82% 3.62GPA uoft
PCAT;
BIO: 91
CR: 52
QR:97
CHEM: 92
COM: 92
Writing: 4.0
Side note: I assumed the average was calculated by adding all your numerical marks together and averaging them and the only time you do the conversion from letter to number is when you have no numerical mark. This makes the most sense to me

I find it weird how 3.8 just turns out to be 87% because I have a 3.4 cGPA which turns out to be 83% when I did the letter grade conversions... I think either of us are calculating wrong
GPA= ~82% 3.62GPA uoft
PCAT;
Side note: I assumed the average was calculated by adding all your numerical marks together and averaging them and the only time you do the conversion from letter to number is when you have no numerical mark. This makes the most sense to me
Yeah, I calculated my grade the same way as funkymasterflex. My uni only gives out letter grades so I converted each letter grade to a percentage based on the u of t pharmacy conversion chart. Then I just calculated the average of each percentage to get my cGPA.

GPA= ~82% 3.62GPA uoft
PCAT;
Your stats seem really solid btw, should have a good chance of getting in.

Your stats seem really solid btw, should have a good chance of getting in.
So far everyone seems very competitive, I do believe everyone on SDN is on the higher side. There are 240 seats so I really hope we all get accepted. *fingers crossed*

Hey guys, can someone tell me what my chances are???

Gpa: 87.2 %
Pcat: 99 Chem
99 bio
46 rc
92 math
3 on writing!

Mmi: average

So far everyone seems very competitive, I do believe everyone on SDN is on the higher side. There are 240 seats so I really hope we all get accepted. *fingers crossed*

I hope so as well. I used to think that my PCAT score was good. Then I realize that many people on this forum have a 99 comp score...

My cGPA is around a 3.75ish but when i calculate it according to the grade scale that UofT posted, it gets converted to ~82/83%, strange. Oh well, its too late for that to matter. Lets just hope for the best!!!

Your numbers are as good if not better than most people who post their marks here for assessment. So, you have a pretty good chance based on the numbers, but hard to gauge the MMI.

I am incredibly nervous. I felt super good right after the MMI, but after hearing from people on here that they had better cGPAs and PCAT scores and still didn't make it... I'm not doing that well. On my interview day, one of the student volunteers told me that usually they get about 700-800 applications but due to the changes to pre-requisite courses this year, they only received about 500-600. The student also said they usually cut it down to about 500 interviews to get to an ~50% acceptance from interview. I'm REALLY hoping I make it because of these things.

I wrote such a massive essay for my sample, I'm not really sure how I got the 4.0 :p Your PCAT scores are great, and I would guess you're on the higher end of applicants based on cGPA of past accepted students. That's just based on guesswork from looking at SDN, but I would be surprised if you didn't get in, especially given your familiarity with some of the MMI stations.

My cGPA is around a 3.75ish but when i calculate it according to the grade scale that UofT posted, it gets converted to ~82/83%, strange. Oh well, its too late for that to matter. Lets just hope for the best!!!

same.. I kinda hate it but w.e

If we an A+, we could've gotten 91,92,93,94,95 etc.. but A+ is being counted as 90

everything gets converted to the lower bound

same.. I kinda hate it but w.e

If we an A+, we could've gotten 91,92,93,94,95 etc.. but A+ is being counted as 90

everything gets converted to the lower bound
I'm also doing the same thing with all my A+ But my 3.4 GPA turns out being 83%... an A counts as 85 right? And B+ 78?

I am incredibly nervous. I felt super good right after the MMI, but after hearing from people on here that they had better cGPAs and PCAT scores and still didn't make it... I'm not doing that well. On my interview day, one of the student volunteers told me that usually they get about 700-800 applications but due to the changes to pre-requisite courses this year, they only received about 500-600. The student also said they usually cut it down to about 500 interviews to get to an ~50% acceptance from interview. I'm REALLY hoping I make it because of these things.

I wrote such a massive essay for my sample, I'm not really sure how I got the 4.0 :p Your PCAT scores are great, and I would guess you're on the higher end of applicants based on cGPA of past accepted students. That's just based on guesswork from looking at SDN, but I would be surprised if you didn't get in, especially given your familiarity with some of the MMI stations.
Yeah I really hope I have a chance of getting in too because of the lower # of applicants. Can Friday just hurry up !!!!

Reactions: 2 users