MD Unmatched! Please help with your advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LatinDoctor

MD / Internal Medicine PGY-3
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a NON-US IMG with low board scores (Step 1: 212, Step 2 CK: 222, Step 2 CS: Pass 1st attempt, Step 3: 199). I had 5 USCE (3 at University of Miami, 1 at Northwestern and 1 at Cleveland Clinic FL) and received 5 strong LORs. I applied into Internal Medicine Categorical, had 4 interviews, and did not match! I did really well in the interviews, and even one program sent me an e-mail saying that they would love to have me in their program in July. :(

Anyways, I applied without Step 3, I took it in March and received my score today. (I really thought I would fail, but I passed with 199).

Now, they offered me to do a Cardiology Research Fellowship at Mass General for 2 years with the Founder/Director of the arrhythmia service. I think that it is a great opportunity and will boost my CV since I don't have any research. But I am nervous that it is a 2 year commitment so I would not be able to apply this year and my YOG would be longer. Do you guys think that this is worth it? Will it increase my probabilities on matching into IM?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should do it. It will exponentially increase your chances of matching. Had a few friends who did the same after not matching year 1 and all of them did match the next year(although their committment was <2 years)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What happens if you leave before the 2 years? Is that bad?

Every year away from graduation your chances go down of matching.

This is a gamble at best.

Reactions: 1 user
What happens if you leave before the 2 years? Is that bad?

Every year away from graduation your chances go down of matching.

Since they will sponsor me a visa, if I do not comply with the J1-research commitment (2 years), I will be forbidden of obtaining a J1 visa for a Medical Residency. Do you think it is better if I find a 1-year Research Fellowship? I don't know how much you can do and publish in just one year. Moreover, this is the only option I have right now and it is with a great Cardiologist at Mass General so I want to believe that will give me more interviews?

How many programs did you apply to? Hard to interpret 4 interviews w/o all of the information.