Unsure about medical school, should I still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiskeyandrye

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm came into college as a pre-med. I've never been 100% sure that it's what I want, it was just always what interested me most. Now I'm a junior in undergrad set to take the MCAT in April and apply this cycle, and I'm still unsure. All of the information/letters of reccommendation have been submitted to my university's pre-medical Committee.

The fact of the matter is, I'm not certain that medicine is the right career for me. I've worked in hospitals and clinics. I've shadowed physicians. I'm still not sure if it's what I want. Some folks I talk to say that I should not apply without 100% certainty that I want to be a physician. Others say that I should just apply -- I really can't be certain that it's for me until I'm there.

(I'd feel like quitting now is giving up at the last moment. Taking a year or two off is an option. An option I never considered because all of my stats look great, plus I just got a break traveling the world during a semester abroad. I feared that time off would make me loose momentum.)

Anyways, what's your opinion on applying without being sure? Should I even keep studying for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a reason you can pinpoint for your uncertainty? It might just be fear or anxiety at taking such a huge step.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not sure whether medicine is the right path for you then you may as well take a gap year or two and do something else. There are other aspects to health care that you can be involved in or if biomedical research is more your style, there are plenty of opportunities down that track. But as @Chasing Never Land said, you'll need to provide a bit more details before we can give further advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, some fears are in play- For starters, I fear the lifestyle accompanying the career isn't right for me- I want to be a mother.
I have to write my personal statement and I can't think of many reasons why I want to be a physician. I fear I lack the motivation.
I'm studying for the MCATs and I'm miserable. I fear if I lack the drive right now, how the heck will I get through the next four years?
Then I come back from volunteering at the hospital and my heart and my mind are on fire and I second guess everything.

Applying to medical school is mentally and physically exhausting, expensive, and extraordinarily time consuming. Do not do it unless you are certain.

Sure, some fears are in play- For starters, I fear the lifestyle accompanying the career isn't right for me- I want to be a mother.
I have to write my personal statement and I can't think of many reasons why I want to be a physician. I fear I lack the motivation.
I'm studying for the MCATs and I'm miserable. I fear if I lack the drive right now, how the heck will I get through the next four years?
Then I come back from volunteering at the hospital and my heart and my mind are on fire and I second guess everything.

Understandable. Just so you know you have to think about the next seven years. Med school without residency is essentially a close to useless endeavor that's overly stressful (unless you're independently wealthy and have a thirst for a challenge). If the MCAT studying is making you that miserable, then med school is not for you (at least at this point). The MCAT is easy compared to what med school is - if you cannot handle that reality, then don't waste your time. Take a year or so off and work in a clinical setting if need be but just be sure that you are ready for at least a 7 yr commitment when applying for med school. Good luck with your endeavors.

As an aside if you do choose to pursue medicine, there are a quite a few specialities that would allow for you to have a fulfilling career as well as a parent. Location of where you ultimately practice can have a large effect on "lifestyle".

don't do it. look into other career options. you can always revisit medicine in 2-3 years if you change your mind.

True but I was more talking about the initial training period.

one typically chooses a career in spite of the initial training period. The OP is not clearly motivated to become a physician, and is concerned about the lifestyle which is an issue for the long term.

one typically chooses a career in spite of the initial training period. The OP is not clearly motivated to become a physician, and is concerned about the lifestyle which is an issue for the long term.

Hey what can I say - you are much further down the path than either of us. I initially was meaning that med school+residency can be a sucky period but depending on where the person chooses to practice, they may be able to lead a more amenable lifestyle that fits with their longterm of being a mother and physician. The OP does need to step back and assess if this career path is for them even if they are not currently motivated to pursue it at this point. Maybe the break might change their perspectives and they may or may not gain the motivation to pursue medicine. That's all I meant so hopefully I didn't do more harm than good by giving my opinion.

Hey what can I say - you are much further down the path than either of us. I initially was meaning that med school+residency can be a sucky period but depending on where the person chooses to practice, they may be able to lead a more amenable lifestyle that fits with their longterm of being a mother and physician. The OP does need to step back and assess if this career path is for them even if they are not currently motivated to pursue it at this point. Maybe the break might change their perspectives and they may or may not gain the motivation to pursue medicine. That's all I meant so hopefully I didn't do more harm than good by giving my opinion.
I have yet to meet someone who hated this journey and ended up loving the destination.
Even with an ostensibly excellent outcome they remain bitter. Proclamations of a "stolen youth" are common, as if someone had actively sabotaged them!

Reactions: 6 users
Your future kids are lucky to have a mother who is capable of admitting limitations and fears this early. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I would talk to female doctors and get their take on family and work life balance. I went through a period where I had to seriously consider my reservations - I didn't want to regret anything. Talking to people, and examining my own values and priorities and what makes me happy, made me confirm that this is what I want to do. I'm actually more motivated now that I questioned myself and stuck with this choice!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

First off, I think it's admirable that you're self-aware and willing to admit your uncertainty. So many people doggedly pursue this path without ever questioning if it's really right for them or taking the time to explore other avenues that might make them just as happy or happier! I seriously think you should consider taking some time off. I took several years between undergrad and applying. I've been interested in medicine since forever but just couldn't commit right out of college. In my years off, I worked in clinics, hospitals, social services agencies--tried to expose myself to as much of healthcare as I could. I explored other careers, NP/PA. This was such a valuable experience for me because now I'm really, really sure that I want this. Anyway, just my 2 cents. :)

Have you looked into PA? It would allow you to continue working in healthcare, which it sounds like you're interested in, while having a better lifestyle. PA school won't necessarily be easier, but it will be shorter.

OP, why don't you take the MCAT, but take 1-2 years off to do some soul searching. Is there some other path that you may find more appealing at this moment (consulting, start-up, etc.)? Apply to that and see where it takes you. During that time away from pre-medicine related activities, you may realize that you still prefer medicine and then you'll have taken the MCAT and have everything in order to apply. Or, if you really like your new gig, you'll only have wasted a few months studying and taking the MCAT. Give yourself time to explore, but don't go into medicine if you have doubts. I was in the same place as you during college and a low ish MCAT score scared me from applying. I found a job that I genuinely do enjoy and for several months, almost talked myself out of medicine and convincing myself I could make a career out of it... but as time went on, I realized that was so wrong. I couldn't see myself doing that for the long run. In short, I'm so glad I took some time off, because I'm more excited for medical school now (bc I discovered for myself that there is no other alternative I could be truly happy with) than if I applied and jumped right into med school after undergrad.

I'm came into college as a pre-med. I've never been 100% sure that it's what I want, it was just always what interested me most. Now I'm a junior in undergrad set to take the MCAT in April and apply this cycle, and I'm still unsure. All of the information/letters of reccommendation have been submitted to my university's pre-medical Committee.

The fact of the matter is, I'm not certain that medicine is the right career for me. I've worked in hospitals and clinics. I've shadowed physicians. I'm still not sure if it's what I want. Some folks I talk to say that I should not apply without 100% certainty that I want to be a physician. Others say that I should just apply -- I really can't be certain that it's for me until I'm there.

(I'd feel like quitting now is giving up at the last moment. Taking a year or two off is an option. An option I never considered because all of my stats look great, plus I just got a break traveling the world during a semester abroad. I feared that time off would make me loose momentum.)

Anyways, what's your opinion on applying without being sure? Should I even keep studying for the MCAT?

If you don't know for sure, don't apply. Just the process of APPLYING to medical school is exhausting. If you go through the process and realize later on you don't really want to be a physician, you're going to be miserable.

Get a job as a scribe. Volunteering shows you very little about being a physician. I never shadowed before scribing, so I'm not sure how that is. But as a scribe, you document everything and learn more about the decision making process. You gain a better understanding of the roles.

I'm a woman who very much desires a family as well. I had doubts when I graduated college. I thought I wanted to be a PA because it's a quicker path. I didn't have the drive and my senior year GPA definitely shows it.
I took some gap years, scribed, got more life experience, and found my drive... I'm now 100% certain that I want to be a physician and couldn't be more excited.

In regards to the MCAT, its tricky because scores expire within 3 years. If you don't feel like you have the motivation right now, don't take it.