UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh awesome. That's pretty similar to a class I've had this semester. Loads of fun :depressed:
I'm assuming the exams draw on previous lecture material and the final is comprehensive?

It depends on the class. Epi was cumulative as was intro to clinical research and biostats, but if memory serves, we did not have cumulative exams for the hard science courses (biochem, pharmacology, phys, anatomy, etc). Histology may have been cumulative, but that was about a billion years ago now and I've slept since then.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished the program, 16' - 17', with 4.0 gpa. Here are things I would like to say:

1. Macbook pro and pad are a required purchase. All exams and quizzes are going to be taken on them.
2. The bible, although helpful, is not necessary for getting the 4.0 gpa. ALL exam questions come from the lecture material - the lecture ppt will have all the answers, not the bible. When you feel overwhelmed, DO NOT WASTE TIME WITH THE BIBLE - JUST STUDY THE LECTURE PPT.
3. For those who have a history of good academic performance, or have a real-life evidence of academic success at any point in their life, work very hard. If you don't have such evidence, it may be next to impossible to get the 4.0 unless you utilize memorization tricks.
4. here are the classes that require the most studying time and force the most gpa to drop below 4.0 in order of increasing value of (Probability of getting A)
Summer: non (you got plenty time and biostat is not hard)
Fall: Immunology/mcrobiology <<< histology < biochem
Spring: Pharmacology << anatomy << physiology
5. For those of you who have good science foundation - forget trying to understand things - just memorize the lecture material ASAP.
For those of you who have bad memorization skills - get silly with the mneumonic and other memorization techniques ASAP, I MEAN ASAP.

The person who can memorize the most the fastest and the best will win the game of "let's get the 4.0". Thank god that there are ways to improve your memorization.

if ya'll need a real and no-bs answers about the program, pm me. I won't sugar coat things.

I 100% agree with coiker about the MedSci bible - I never used it as a study resource, and got the 4.0 as well in the program. Make sure to use your own discretion with the MedSci bible and always cross-reference it against the lectures provided by the professors. The bible is a collaboration of student notes, and of course, none of us are perfect in our note-taking abilities and occasionally record incorrect statements or answers to questions.
I personally did not have to spend as much time studying for pharm/micro in the spring and fall semesters respectively compared to the other classes listed, but that may be just me personally. The important point to note is that for subjects that you find more difficult to learn/remember, be prepared to spend much more time on that subject than the others. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses.
Be prepared to study 8-5 on the weekends - I usually found myself studying an average of 6 hours outside of class on the weekdays, and 4-8 hours on each weekend day depending on the test schedule and class difficulty. All in all, I probably put in an average of 50-60 hours weekly of class/study time.

Reactions: 3 users
Regarding the powerpoints for all courses, when people mention 300ish slides do they mean per individual lecture or on a weekly basis?

Might just be me, but it seems like it would be hard for a prof to go through 300 slides per lecture! I think that coiker had mentioned that it was 2-300 per 1-2 week period per class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might just be me, but it seems like it would be hard for a prof to go through 300 slides per lecture! I think that coiker had mentioned that it was 2-300 per 1-2 week period per class.
I got curious, and dug up a few ppt from past classes. avg of about 60 slides per lecture. 10 to 12 lectures per exam. about 1-2 exams per class per two week period. which give you about 600 ppt slides per exam per class.

you have about 3 concurrent classes, which means you will have roughly about 1.5 exams per week - meaning that you have to be on top of 900 ppt slides on weekly basis. It's completely doable if you make it your priority.

I think the number of ppt slides decrease to about 40 in the spring. and I would say that 20% of the slides are either pictures, graphs or repeated info.

Last edited:
I got curious, and dug up a few ppt from past classes. avg of about 60 slides per lecture. 10 to 12 lectures per exam. about 1-2 exams per class per two week period. which give you about 600 ppt slides per exam per class.

you have about 3 concurrent classes, which means you will have roughly about 1.5 exams per week - meaning that you have to be on top of 900 ppt slides on weekly basis. It's completely doable if you make it your priority.

Seems rough. Do professors upload their slides prior to actually lecturing? Because then it'd be easier to just stay ahead a lecture or two and everything becomes pseudo-review.

Seems rough. Do professors upload their slides prior to actually lecturing? Because then it'd be easier to just stay ahead a lecture or two and everything becomes pseudo-review.
I would say that ppl who secured the high As are the ones who did just that - previwing ppt then reviewing ppt after lecture.
profs do post the ppt ahead of lecture, so you have time to preview them.

That is exactly what I am going to do especially now knowing this!

Hey guys! So I'm in a tough situation right now. I got in to the M.S. in Medical Sciences program at UNT. I am also on waitlist for Texas Tech. I don't know how hopeful I should be about the waitlist but there is a chance to get in, all the way up to orientation in August. However, classes start at the end of May at UNT. Need to find a roommate soon if I plan on moving to Fort Worth. Any advice?

Also, is there someone who got in the M.S. program and who's on the waitlist for any medical school as well?

For some reason I always feel my anxiety rising after reading the new posts on this thread.... hahaha jk. We got this!!

For some reason I always feel my anxiety rising after reading the new posts on this thread.... hahaha jk. We got this!!

Nonetheless, let's do this and get a SDN 4.0 group going!

Hey guys! So I'm in a tough situation right now. I got in to the M.S. in Medical Sciences program at UNT. I am also on waitlist for Texas Tech. I don't know how hopeful I should be about the waitlist but there is a chance to get in, all the way up to orientation in August. However, classes start at the end of May at UNT. Need to find a roommate soon if I plan on moving to Fort Worth. Any advice?

Also, is there someone who got in the M.S. program and who's on the waitlist for any medical school as well?
Great problem to have! Sorry I don't have any advice.

What is this Texas Tech program? Any particular pros over Med Sci? I don't know much about it, that's why I'm asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is this Texas Tech program? Any particular pros over Med Sci? I don't know much about it, that's why I'm asking.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to him being on the waitlist to get into Texas Tech's MD program - totally different from Med Sci.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol yes^. Thank you
If you're on the waitlist for Texas Tech I would still start with the MedSci Program. There have been a number of people that started MedSci and got pulled off of a med school waitlist and then bounced from MedSci. I'm not sure how a refund (if any) would work but the administration would be more than willing to work with you.

Ok guys, there's a possibility that this question has been asked before, but I'll ask anyway.
Post Bacc or the Med Sci program?

Yes. Specifically, which one would be more beneficial for applying to medical school.

what kind of post bacc?
I graduated in Dec 2016. I was a non-science major at my undergraduate school. The vast majority, almost 90%, of my science and math courses are the pre-med courses required for Medical Schools in Texas. I didn't do so well in some of my science classes in the first couple of years and it hurt my science GPA more than my overall because I took a limited number of BCPM(Bio, Chem, Phys, Math) courses in my college career. My overall GPA is still above avg and I did really well in my last two years of undergrad (BCPM classes included).

So, I could do a second degree at my undergrad University, say in Bio or Biochem. Or I can do the Med Science program at UNT. Im not sure which is going to benefit me more when applying this cycle.

Last edited:
I graduated in Dec 2017. I was a non-science major at my undergraduate school. The vast majority, almost 90%, of my science and math courses are the pre-med courses required for Medical Schools in Texas. I didn't do so well in some of my science classes in the first couple of years and it hurt my science GPA more than my overall because I took a limited number of BCPM(Bio, Chem, Phys, Math) courses in my college career. My overall GPA is still above avg and I did really well in my last two years of undergrad (BCPM classes included).

So, I could do a second degree at my undergrad University, say in Bio or Biochem. Or I can do the Med Science program at UNT. Im not sure which is going to benefit me more when applying this cycle.

Do you mean Dec 2016...?? and I was in the same situation, non science major, not a lot of upper level sci classes, so adcoms recommended this program to me because it is pure upper level science, you're basically showing them you can take the heat of the academic rigor of medical school. If it works better for you to stay at your undergrad institution and just retake a couple of classes and maybe throw in some upper level then maybe you should stay there. I think it's ultimately what works best for you.

Edit to add- sometimes it really is best to ask med schools what they would recommend. Reach out to a couple and let them know your situation and see if they can make a recommendation!

Do you mean Dec 2016...?? and I was in the same situation, non science major, not a lot of upper level sci classes, so adcoms recommended this program to me because it is pure upper level science, you're basically showing them you can take the heat of the academic rigor of medical school. If it works better for you to stay at your undergrad institution and just retake a couple of classes and maybe throw in some upper level then maybe you should stay there. I think it's ultimately what works best for you.
Whoops, yea I meant 2016. Edited it in my post now. I hear ya! I thought the same thing but I heard conflicting advice from adcoms at various medical school. Some said that they value undergrad GPA overall and not so much of Masters. And hence suggested a post bacc program to influence undergrad GPA. Some adcoms said that if you can prove yourself in the SMP then that speaks volumes to your readiness for med school.

Ok guys, there's a possibility that this question has been asked before, but I'll ask anyway.
Post Bacc or the Med Sci program?

First, I would ask the medical schools adcoms to see if they have a preference. Ultimately, if you're applying to medical schools, their opinion trumps all.
The best way I've had continuing undergrad/2nd bachelors/etc debate described to me by one of the "SDN Adcoms" was that your undergrad courses are lumped together. All courses are grouped into categories (graduate, undergrad) and are calculated by the application service. So all undergrad classes are lumped together no matter when you took them or if it was a part of a separate degree. Calculations depend on the application service TMDSAS or AMCSAS and I'm unsure of what exactly that is.
Long story short: I feel like a structured SMP's with a good reputation and consistently high matriculation rate (ahem, UNT) will beat out any DIY post-bacc classes you take. That's my personal, lowly peasant opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like all the upcoming students have had plenty of advice from recently graduated medsci's...but I wanted to say one thing as a person who just finished the program!

I also got a 4.0 but had a great time the whole year. Everyone else is right, of course, that the workload will be tough and difficult to adjust to. I was intimidated at first. But being at this point now about to start my first year of med school, I am not intimidated at all and I am so thankful for that! This program is just the right amount of tough to give yourself a stepping stone to medical school.

I thought I was going to have to essentially be in a bunker for a year and do nothing but study and work my butt off not only to do well, but to ensure that I got into medical school. It's true that you need to work hard (and the posts above have already given great advice on how to succeed), but do not close yourself off to making friends and having fun! Once you realize how much time you need to dedicate to studying, you will see that there is still plenty of time for friends, family, and extracurriculars. Enjoy Fort Worth, I'll miss it!!!

Can any current Med Scis give information about the apartments that are in Ft.Worth? I am trying to keep the living situation as low cost as possible and was wondering if any current students have any apartment complexes in mind? I am open to having roommates and 2-3 bedrooms. Any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you :)

Can any current Med Scis give information about the apartments that are in Ft.Worth? I am trying to keep the living situation as low cost as possible and was wondering if any current students have any apartment complexes in mind? I am open to having roommates and 2-3 bedrooms. Any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you :)
An apartment guide was posted in the FB group. If you are attending the program, please use the FB group for your MedSci questions and not SDN.

I feel like there's not a proper page for current SMP students regarding medical school admissions. There's people freaking out about not being verified yet and the application cycle opened 2 weeks ago. Meanwhile, I won't be fully submitted until my MCAT score releases in early September :bored:

How reputable is this program for other DO schools? In case you don't get accepted to TCOM?

Removing my acceptance from the program. Just got accepted into medical school. Good luck everyone!

I got off the waitlist today, but I'm deciding between KGI and UNTHSC. I'm from California so I think KGI is a better option for me, but does anyone have any insight as to which program I should choose?

Question for current Med Sci's: For those of ya'll who applied to med school concurrently with Med Sci, when did you submit your TMDSAS app? I don't want to rush it, but at the same time don't want to delay any chances I'll have by submitting the app "late". Thanks!

Is anyone else confused regarding the cost? I saw previously in the post that roughly the total for resident would come around to about 12k but I just looked at charges added and its about 7k for summer only... It doesn't match up to the PDF they have on their website either.

Is anyone else confused regarding the cost? I saw previously in the post that roughly the total for resident would come around to about 12k but I just looked at charges added and its about 7k for summer only... It doesn't match up to the PDF they have on their website either.
https://www.unthsc.edu/students/wp-...6/Budget-Info-for-GSBS-Students-2017-2018.pdf

The $12,000 estimate is based on a more realistic room & board. The estimate on the PDF estimates approx $1500/month in rent+fees+misc. Plus it also includes insurance (Which some people have already due to their family) and book fees (many of which I believe old MedSci students will be giving/selling to the incoming class!)
(Realistically, you can get a decent apartment for <$700, and unless you go out to eat every night you'll stay well under the $1500 estimate.)
As for your recent charges added, it is a bit off. Mine is currently sitting pretty at just under $5k, so you may want to contact the FinAid office ASAP, since you might be getting treated as a non-resident.
(Keep in mind that there will be variations based on which courses you will be taking. i.e. Biochem/the MCAT Review course. The $2000 technology package is also included, I think.)

Let us(/PM me) know if there's some sort of discrepancy in how they're doing charges for students!

I got off the waitlist today, but I'm deciding between KGI and UNTHSC. I'm from California so I think KGI is a better option for me, but does anyone have any insight as to which program I should choose?

Disclaimer: I am very limited in experience with regards to SMP/Master's programs.
From what I'm seeing on their website/SDN Search: KGI is relatively new, without particularly great connections, and as such isn't well known. The coursework is apparently variable, but does not focus on the "hard sciences" (Keck Graduate Institute: Post-bac/MBS)
"The percentage of alumni matriculated into medical school stands at a modest 71%,, but it's the 29% that have proven to be equally successful Those that chose another path have successfully matriculated into dental school, PhD programs, physician assistant, podiatric medicine, or full-time employment in biotech/life science industry. This is by far the greatest strength of the program: 100% of students leave KGI with options! The additional paths are what truly differentiate the PPC program from many other types of Post-Bacc Programs and Special Masters Programs."
- Per Post-baccalaureate Premedical Certificate Program (PPC)

Couple of factors to think about:
1) Undergraduate Stats - An SMP has no effect on your undergrad GPA/MCAT score. How well-known a program is and how it's viewed by medical schools is important. (Possibly contact UC's you've got interests in and investigate what they think? I know there's a couple of posts on SDN about it but nothing 100% sure.)
2) Location - Are you ok with just picking up and moving down to the Dallas/FtWorth area? This ties in with...
3) Cost - You will be an non-Resident if you choose TCOM. That's important. I believe KGI costs the same, though (?) [Approx $50k?]

TL;DR Do more research because I can only find so much. Contact schools, members on SDN who have gone through the program, etc.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble finding the tuition breakdown online. Can someone explain how much tuition will be in total and how much for Summer, Fall and Spring? Currently, I'm seeing a $4,869.50 charge for the Summer. Thank you!

Hi ya'll!

This is a question for previous or current Med Scis, did anyone study for the MCAT while taking classes fall semester? I had wanted to take the MCAT in August but I just don't think I'll be ready and wish to take it in January. Do you think it'll be possible to study for the MCAT while studying for classes?

Thank you!

Hi ya'll!

This is a question for previous or current Med Scis, did anyone study for the MCAT while taking classes fall semester? I had wanted to take the MCAT in August but I just don't think I'll be ready and wish to take it in January. Do you think it'll be possible to study for the MCAT while studying for classes?

Thank you!

After the summer, you will barely have any time to study for the MCAT. That being said, I would not recommend anyone to waste their time taking a generic Kaplan/Princeton course. I would recommend you to take only the biostat course to free up the entirety of the summer to dedicate to MCAT study at your own pace using better materials than the Kap/Princeton - preferably AAMC/berkely practice materials mixed with your choice of content review material at your own pace (preferably faster).

and maybe use the refund money (~$2k) to hire a knowledgeable tutor to provide guidance and help. It will save money.

Can we go ahead and drop the Biochem class? Or is all this saved for orientation? My current charges show $6885 for the summer. Financial aid is supposed to be disbursed 10 days before class (tomorrow, May 20). Little confused about all of it, but rolling with it

Can we go ahead and drop the Biochem class? Or is all this saved for orientation? My current charges show $6885 for the summer. Financial aid is supposed to be disbursed 10 days before class (tomorrow, May 20). Little confused about all of it, but rolling with it

I dropped everything but biostat for the summer of 2016. I believe you are given the opportunity to drop courses during the orientation. And the refunds were deposited back into my bank account some days after the summer classes began.

Tbh, unless youve never taken biochem in college, i wouldnt bother taking the summer biochem class - it doesnt help much.

For anyone that has already completed the med sci program, during the summer do we get to know any professors really well? I was wondering if any of them would write a recommendation. Any suggestions?

Question for current Med Sci's: For those of ya'll who applied to med school concurrently with Med Sci, when did you submit your TMDSAS app? I don't want to rush it, but at the same time don't want to delay any chances I'll have by submitting the app "late". Thanks!

I did not apply last year, but I will chime in with what I know. First, I would have your essays looked over by your major advisor and CAP before submitting. You will meet your major advisor during orientation and will learn about CAP during that time as well.

As for submitting your app, I think a bunch of med scis submitted in August because of MCAT. The earlier the better, but I believe medical schools want to see your biostats and biochem grades before considering your app anyways. I'd think if you get in your application by late July or early August, you should be ok. I think some med scis ran into trouble when they submitted in late August or September.

For anyone that has already completed the med sci program, during the summer do we get to know any professors really well? I was wondering if any of them would write a recommendation. Any suggestions?

You have a major advisor (who is a faculty member), whose job is to write letters of recommendation for you. On the first or second day of orientation, you will meet your advisor. Make sure to schedule a meeting with him/her ASAP and meet with them a couple of times so that he/she can get to know you. But, I would request a letter from your major advisor (and do it soon - during summer and fall, many med scis ask the major advisors for letters, especially Gwirtz). Since biochem is online, it is quite hard to get to know Dr. Planz enough to get a letter, even if you get an A in the class.

Last edited:

I'm about to start the program and already submitted my app, I submitted late last cycle (took the MCAT late) and was told by schools that it hurt me so I had my essays ready to go and submitted like on may 8th this time. I'm hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot... I worked on my essays for like a month and had them read by a ton of people and got a lot of feedback so I'm hoping that I didn't screw myself over by not waiting to meet with an advisor (I wasn't at myHSC day so I was not present for that discussion). Do you guys think it will be ok to just have advisors help with secondary essays if we already submitted??

I 100% agree with coiker about the MedSci bible - I never used it as a study resource, and got the 4.0 as well in the program. Make sure to use your own discretion with the MedSci bible and always cross-reference it against the lectures provided by the professors. The bible is a collaboration of student notes, and of course, none of us are perfect in our note-taking abilities and occasionally record incorrect statements or answers to questions.
I personally did not have to spend as much time studying for pharm/micro in the spring and fall semesters respectively compared to the other classes listed, but that may be just me personally. The important point to note is that for subjects that you find more difficult to learn/remember, be prepared to spend much more time on that subject than the others. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses.
Be prepared to study 8-5 on the weekends - I usually found myself studying an average of 6 hours outside of class on the weekdays, and 4-8 hours on each weekend day depending on the test schedule and class difficulty. All in all, I probably put in an average of 50-60 hours weekly of class/study time.

Can I please ask where/what is this MedSci Bible?

Little off the tracks, but I met someone who's friend did KGI. They said it wasn't good prep - too much padding and therefore not really reputable.

Can I please ask where/what is this MedSci Bible?
it's a repository of patchwork of past course materials that include lecture ppt, personal study aid, exams and quizzes. Much of the program has undergone changes that kind of make some of the bible useless. But some people used it as a study aid and liked it - while I didn't really like it simply because every question on the exam came directly off the class ppt.

an updated bible will be provided on the facebook by the previous class, us, during or after the orientation I believe.

I dropped everything but biostat for the summer of 2016. I believe you are given the opportunity to drop courses during the orientation. And the refunds were deposited back into my bank account some days after the summer classes began.

Tbh, unless youve never taken biochem in college, i wouldnt bother taking the summer biochem class - it doesnt help much.

I can confirm that you are given the chance to drop both the MCAT course (if you qualify) and the Biochem course. I personally disagree, I thought the summer biochem course was very helpful for many reasons. First, this was my first time taking Biochem, so an introduction to the new material was very helpful come the Fall biochem. Second, taking this course allowed my to tinker with my study skills and establish useful habits for the much faster-paced Masters level. Third, I was able to familiarize myself with ExamSoft, the test-taking software used all year long without many consequences because it was a Pass/Fail class - I was able to get the pre-testing jitters out of my system. Finally, Dr. Nair was an great professor in my opinion. A little difficult to understand initially, but very conscientious, helpful and thorough with the material.
EDIT: brief additional information - I had never taken Biochem before. Took the summer class and got a high B, but it showed that I needed to study a lot more for my Fall semester classes, where I got all A's.

Also, to those of you seeking LORs, meet with your advisor ASAP. Get to know them and make sure they will be able to recognize you in their lectures or passing by on campus. They are all great and will write you a fantastic letter if you show them your commitment.

I can confirm that you are given the chance to drop both the MCAT course (if you qualify) and the Biochem course. I personally disagree, I thought the summer biochem course was very helpful for many reasons. First, this was my first time taking Biochem, so an introduction to the new material was very helpful come the Fall biochem. Second, taking this course allowed my to tinker with my study skills and establish useful habits for the much faster-paced Masters level. Third, I was able to familiarize myself with ExamSoft, the test-taking software used all year long without many consequences because it was a Pass/Fail class - I was able to get the pre-testing jitters out of my system. Finally, Dr. Nair was an great professor in my opinion. A little difficult to understand initially, but very conscientious, helpful and thorough with the material.
EDIT: brief additional information - I had never taken Biochem before. Took the summer class and got a high B, but it showed that I needed to study a lot more for my Fall semester classes, where I got all A's.

Also, to those of you seeking LORs, meet with your advisor ASAP. Get to know them and make sure they will be able to recognize you in their lectures or passing by on campus. They are all great and will write you a fantastic letter if you show them your commitment.

I definitely agree with you about getting exposure to the biochem material may be super helpful, and Dr. Nair (the summer biochem prof) is an incredible professor, who wants to see her students grasp the concepts and succeed. However, if you need to retake the MCAT, you need to devote yourself a 100% (but remember to not forget about biostats) and taking the summer course may detract from much needed attention to MCAT. In my opinion (albeit may not be true for everyone), the Kaplan biochem book does a pretty solid job of covering the basics. Going into the Fall biochemistry class with studying the Kaplan book, I was able to recognize many of the concepts and then learn the specifics from the ppt slides. My background was not particularly strong in biochem either, but I did study really hard to ensure making an A in the class.

DISCLAIMER: I know several people were surprised by the difficulty of the Fall Biochemistry course. I do not want to discourage anyone from taking the summer biochemistry course, but I personally would dedicate myself to MCAT studying.

Also, I 100% agree with your statements about LORs from the major advisors.

Reactions: 1 users