UPenn c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you guys will have so much fun at orientation!!! I'm not sure if you got your schedules yet, I think it comes mid summer. Make sure to leave your nights open because every night after orientation you go somewhere. For us it was a bar for vet/animal/science quizzo night, alpha psi BBQ, and hmm i cannot remember for the life of me the other event haha but it was so much fun! Lots of the 2nd/3rd years come out with you too.

I'm going to the Galapagos the same time as your orientation though so I am a little bummed I can't be a group leader or come to the events :(. But i am still very excited for my trip :D

Members don't see this ad.

This is (almost) no exaggeration. I live on 42nd and spruce and watch the parade of vet students going to/from class from my windows occasionally (just to laugh at them:laugh:, while I listen to lectures at home). The free backpacks make us easily identifiable (until they break).

You definitely are going to be living in the area of heaviest vet student concentration here.

As for making friends, there are plenty of events before class starts to be thrown in with everyone else who feels the same way. Be sure to sign up for the Intro to food animal orientation the week before classes, go to the Alpha Psi party before classes start, and at orientation, at a minimum you will get to know the other 8-10 people you are randomly assigned to EXTREMELY well. No worries really.

And once class starts, you will get to know the people near you alphabetically because they sit next to you in histology all the time (and some other classes as well), the people in your anatomy group and the ones right next to you, and whomever happens to sit next to you in class all the time.
Super naïve pre-vet here but I'm soooo excited for August! It's our last day of classes here at Penn State and lots of my friends are really miserable at the thought of leaving. I'm definitely sad and will miss State College, my house, and my roommates but I'm looking forward to a new chapter. YAY!

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a soon to be 4th Year Penn Vet student looking for a roommate to share my 2 bedroom/2 bath condo in University City. Gated courtyard/security cameras. It's a great location for Penn-that's why I've been there for 3 years now. Hardwood floors, carpeted bedrooms. Can see sample pictures @ www.4300spruce.com. I have a cat and am currently fostering a dog. PM me if interested.

I am a soon to be 4th Year Penn Vet student looking for a roommate to share my 2 bedroom/2 bath condo in University City. Gated courtyard/security cameras. It's a great location for Penn-that's why I've been there for 3 years now. Hardwood floors, carpeted bedrooms. Can see sample pictures @ www.4300spruce.com. I have a cat and am currently fostering a dog. PM me if interested.

have you joined the V15 facebook group yet? there are more people looking for housing there

can we join facebook groups for other years? i.e. could i join the v14 group if i wanted?

can we join facebook groups for other years? i.e. could i join the v14 group if i wanted?

Yea I guess you could. We still have V13 people in our V14 fb group (like how all the second years are joining yours lol) I never thought of it reversed haha but yea go ahead. FYI our page has been getting progressively dead since the beginning of the year lol it will probably start booming again though once we plan an end of the year event and when people start posting during the summer to find other people who are still in town

i was planning on making a facebook group or event for the summer though, so only people who will be in town can join and then we won't bother others with mass messages when they are out of town. Once this gets made it will most likely be what we all use this summer. I'll try to remember to post a link to it once it is created and then you can join

when do you move to philly?

I'm visiting next weekend to look at apartments, either Sun or Mon. I'll move b/t July and August. This apt hunting is so stressful :( I love the dogs but sometimes I just want to take a shrinkydink gun to their stupid lovable huge heads.

I love the dogs but sometimes I just want to take a shrinkydink gun to their stupid lovable huge heads.

Have you had any luck finding places that take large dogs? Most of the places I've found online have been cats or dogs <40lbs, and it's definitely getting frustrating.

Have you had any luck finding places that take large dogs? Most of the places I've found online have been cats or dogs <40lbs, and it's definitely getting frustrating.

I know that the Campus Apartment buildings on 44th and Spruce allow dogs and have lots of vet students. If you google Campus Apartments, you can find their website.

Also, the building that Imagine just posted about allows dogs as well (up to 2 pets per unit w/ no size limitations). Another vet student who lives at 4300 Spruce was looking for a tenant (we got an email about it) for her 1 bedroom as she is graduating. If you're interested, let me know and I'll try to find her email and will PM it to you.

I've heard that the V'15 Facebook group's admins have been posting all the emails we've been getting about housing. It's often the best source, as some of these apartments have been passed down from vet student to vet student and the landlords love to rent to us!

It's definitely worth it to check out anywhere you're interested in -- there are some seriously scary apartments out there! Don't get frustrated either -- it may take a while (and several visits), but you'll find something! Check out the thread from last year -- it may take a while to sort thru it, but there is a ton of housing info in there.

I know that the Campus Apartment buildings on 44th and Spruce allow dogs and have lots of vet students. If you google Campus Apartments, you can find their website.

Also, the building that Imagine just posted about allows dogs as well (up to 2 pets per unit w/ no size limitations). Another vet student who lives at 4300 Spruce was looking for a tenant (we got an email about it) for her 1 bedroom as she is graduating. If you're interested, let me know and I'll try to find her email and will PM it to you.

I've heard that the V'15 Facebook group's admins have been posting all the emails we've been getting about housing. It's often the best source, as some of these apartments have been passed down from vet student to vet student and the landlords love to rent to us!

It's definitely worth it to check out anywhere you're interested in -- there are some seriously scary apartments out there! Don't get frustrated either -- it may take a while (and several visits), but you'll find something! Check out the thread from last year -- it may take a while to sort thru it, but there is a ton of housing info in there.

Thanks, I really appreciate your advice! I'm definitely following the V'15 Facebook page and craigslist like a hawk, trying to cover all my bases. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. I'm all over Craigslist like Elivis on a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and I have realtor friends helping me too.

We have 2 big dogs (90 lbs, 50 lbs), 3 cats, a 90 gallon fish tank, and a lovebird.

Blargh. I know we'll get something, but I just want something NOW :)

Honestly, I'm not sure Craig's list is the way to go...

There are a ton of places in the area that allow large dogs and sometimes the best way is to just walk around and find them. Also check out the Daily Pennsylvanian for their classifieds (but they are less likely to be dog friendly).

Ben and Me mentioned Campus apartments... They and University City Housing have a high % of the units in the area and you have to contact them.

Here is a link from Penn's off-campus office listing local landlord companies.

http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusservices/?p=housing_search/university_city_landlords

Honestly finding housing is not that hard here, but it is hard to do it from a distance. Come a few times... places come and go all the time.

Also try Mike Levin. 215 803 3006. He owns several places and likes to rent to vet students. His places are big-dog friendly. .

Me too. I'm all over Craigslist like Elivis on a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and I have realtor friends helping me too.

We have 2 big dogs (90 lbs, 50 lbs), 3 cats, a 90 gallon fish tank, and a lovebird.

Blargh. I know we'll get something, but I just want something NOW :)

Ok, Shamanong has a similar menagerie...Maybe she'll chime in? Or you might want to PM her as I'm not sure she posts much here anymore.

Try Garden Court Apartments (out at 47th/48th and Pine -- so a hike to school, but quite a few vet students out there. That's about as far out Pine as I'd go though) and The Fairfax (43rd and Locust).

These are both pet-friendly and have housed folks that I know have a similar pet-load. :) The Fairfax even has a dog run in it's courtyard.

I know big dogs also live in several of the buildings across from 4300 Spruce, but I don't know the names of those buildings or who manages them.

Alpha Psi may also be an option, if you're interested in that.

Agree w/ SOV that it's best to walk around the area as most of the smaller landlords probably don't have much of an online presence.

I'd definitely recommend craigslist. I found some awesome places last year using it. I wasn't able to visit in person that often so i couldn't just walk around and look for stuff. I spent about a month looking at stuff on craigslist and made a list of 15 places to see over 1 weekend visiting philly. You just need to know how to weed out the bad places. You can usually tell by how the post is written, and i used a map that Bunnity made for me :)D) and anything out of range or in the "red zone" I eliminated right away. PM me if you want the map I am talking about.
I also emailed the poster with my own personal questions to get more detail and once again you can judge their response and tell if it is a real estate agent, a home owner who has been renting to students for years, or an owner who doesn't know wtf they are doing lol
If I did the whole process again I would eliminate all places that don't have a picture. A couple of the places I looked at sounded so amazing (hardwood floors, big backyard etc) and when I saw them in person, they did technically have everything listed but it was really crappy looking.

Ok, Shamanong has a similar menagerie...Maybe she'll chime in? Or you might want to PM her as I'm not sure she posts much here anymore.

Try Garden Court Apartments (out at 47th/48th and Pine -- so a hike to school, but quite a few vet students out there. That's about as far out Pine as I'd go though) and The Fairfax (43rd and Locust).

These are both pet-friendly and have housed folks that I know have a similar pet-load. :) The Fairfax even has a dog run in it's courtyard.

I know big dogs also live in several of the buildings across from 4300 Spruce, but I don't know the names of those buildings or who manages them.

Agree w/ SOV that it's best to walk around the area as most of the smaller landlords probably don't have much of an online presence.

I can definitely say Garden Court Plaza and the Fairfax have no pet restrictions. We have lots of big dogs here. I looked at both and went with Garden Court Plaza...it's further from school, but it's cheaper, and nicer (in my opinion). Both buildings have a free shuttle in the morning that drops you off on campus (right outside the vet school) that runs from I think Sept - May. It will drive you there in the morning and you can catch it to come home (until 9pm) at night. Also the Penn shuttles will drive you home as well, so living a little further away (haha, it's really only a 15 min walk from the vet school but it seems so far when people are just walking a block or so) isn't really a problem in my opinion unless you need to run home at the middle of the day to let your animals out.

oh. and both buildings have dog runs associated with them.
i honestly don't work for these guys. I'm just so happy with where I live. I am definitely planning on staying here all 4 years and potentially even longer. I really love it :love:

Ben and Me mentioned Campus apartments... They and University City Housing have a high % of the units in the area and you have to contact them.

Here is a link from Penn's off-campus office listing local landlord companies.

http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusservices/?p=housing_search/university_city_landlords

Also try Mike Levin He owns several places and likes to rent to vet students. His places are big-dog friendly.

Thanks for all those tips. UC housing and Mike Levin don't have any big dog friendly places left for next semester :( I also have a list of all the pet-friendly landlords in U City, and have gone down the whole thing. I'll call all the ones on your list though that I don't have on mine, on the off chance that my list is out of date.

hubby would not be happy sharing our home with a frat :D

I can definitely say Garden Court Plaza and the Fairfax have no pet restrictions. We have lots of big dogs here.

Definitely keeping those places in mind. I was planning to cycle to and from campus whenever possible, so the distance isn't a problem. Only thing is, we've never lived in a high rise, so it would be a little bit of a transition. And the 90#er is going to be 10 years old soon, so I just have these awful visions of his bladder failing in the elevator . . . :oops:

I'd definitely recommend craigslist. I found some awesome places last year using it. I wasn't able to visit in person that often so i couldn't just walk around and look for stuff.

I agree with everyone above that I should come and walk around and look for places, but it's super hard trying to coordinate with my husband. So far we've only been able to come down on weekends, and for no longer than a day at a time. After May though, we'll have a little more flexibility . . . if we're still looking by then!

Until then, I'll keep looking online. Craigslist has always worked for me in the past *fingers crossed* You guys are so helpful though, thanks so much for all the additional info and links!! I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall :D

Not sure if you're interested in buying a place, but we looked at these condos when I was moving up here.

http://www.pinewestcondos.com/index.html

I know they've been having a hell of a time selling them, so you might be able to get a good deal...and negotiate w/ the condo board about all the pets! They are gorgeous on the inside and come w/ secure parking below the building.

If you can get a mortgage, you might end up paying less than you would in rent and end up in a brand new building.

There is also still a condo available at 4300 spruce, but there is a pet restriction so I'm not sure it would work for you.

There is also a condo for sale (and has been for over a year) on Osage and 43rd (my favorite W. Philly block!) that I walk past all the time. Again, not sure about pets, but it looks like there is parking behind the building (which is a plus). Small building -- looks like there are maybe 6 units in there? I think the listing company is Prudential.

4200 Pine is another condo building, but I would guess that there is a pet restriction. Worth looking into, at any rate.

Of course, there are pluses and minuses to owning, but it's worth considering. :)

Let me know if you're interested, as SOV and I used the same W. Philly-based realtor and were very pleased...I'm happy to pass on her name.

Not sure if you're interested in buying a place, but we looked at these condos when I was moving up here.

http://www.pinewestcondos.com/index.html

I know they've been having a hell of a time selling them, so you might be able to get a good deal...and negotiate w/ the condo board about all the pets! They are gorgeous on the inside and come w/ secure parking below the building.

If you can get a mortgage, you might end up paying less than you would in rent and end up in a brand new building.

I wish I could afford to buy! Husband and I are both going to school so we have no money for a down payment. Maybe someone else can use that info though, that's good to know!

I wish I could afford to buy! Husband and I are both going to school so we have no money for a down payment. Maybe someone else can use that info though, that's good to know!

Since you're planning on cycling, you could also check out the Fitler Square area. Several vet students over there (along w/ lots of Wharton and Med students) as well, and more of a "big city" feel. Rent is generally higher than W. Philly but at least it would broaden your search area a little!

Btw, I think our realtor isn't in Philly anymore. Her husband got transferred to NC (he's in the military). :(

Oh man, they got married!? He was just her relatively new BF when she was taking us around...he came with us one day! Nice guy!

They grow up so fast... :laugh::laugh:

Ok, I seriously need to focus....

Google Alan H Klein apartments; they have no restrictions on pets. Any size, any breed, any number is fine.

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations! I'll definitely be making some calls this week!

the Penn Vet summer list serve has now been started (also making a new fb group for the summer) I posted a link on your V15 fb group wall

hey guys, since so many of you were super helpful, i wanted to share that we found a place to live :) we've signed a lease at garden court apartments. i LOVED the building, so did my husband . . . bike friendly, composting bins, dog run, old original woodwork, amazing tenants (all the ones we met had nothing but positive things to say).

it's a little more than we'd hoped to spent, but we're confident it will be worth it. hooray! our move in date is early august.

happy weekend everyone!

hey guys, since so many of you were super helpful, i wanted to share that we found a place to live :) we've signed a lease at garden court apartments. i LOVED the building, so did my husband . . . bike friendly, composting bins, dog run, old original woodwork, amazing tenants (all the ones we met had nothing but positive things to say).

it's a little more than we'd hoped to spent, but we're confident it will be worth it. hooray! our move in date is early august.

happy weekend everyone!

Congrats.

glad you found a place thats perfect for you!! :D

happy weekend everyone!

Glad you found a place!

On a different note, has anyone had any dealings with Ironwood Properties as landlords? Or heard anything positive or negative?

happy weekend everyone!

That's where I live! I absolutely love it. Best landlord I've ever had. PM me if you wanna meet up when you move in :)

My boyfriend and I just signed a lease (about a month ago) for an apartment in a converted victorian. I don't have any experience with the actual living situation, but the lease-signing process was painless. The place was really nice too, and the current tenants seemed happy with it.

Good to know, thank you! The landlord seems nice--at least over email and the phone. I'll be seeing one of their places Saturday, so here's hoping the good vibe continues!

Has anyone gotten their financial aid loan letter yet? I just got mine the other day and it only lists the one that everyone gets something to the tune of 40,500 or so- is this normal or did I miss something? Should I be panicking?:scared:

Has anyone gotten their financial aid loan letter yet? I just got mine the other day and it only lists the one that everyone gets something to the tune of 40,500 or so- is this normal or did I miss something? Should I be panicking?:scared:

This is normal. Are you saying you applied for something else in addition to this and it wasn't listed?

Well, I submitted the financial aid papers that they had us fill out, but what about the loans for the additional costs? I stated that I didn't have much saved up to put towards it at the moment, so does this mean I now have to seek out private loans to cover the rest of the additional costs of books, rent, food, living costs, and other miscellaneous living/vet school related things?

I'm sorry I'm so new to this, this is so much more confusing than the undergrad process was (also, it's way more expensive)!

Well, I submitted the financial aid papers that they had us fill out, but what about the loans for the additional costs? I stated that I didn't have much saved up to put towards it at the moment, so does this mean I now have to seek out private loans to cover the rest of the additional costs of books, rent, food, living costs, and other miscellaneous living/vet school related things?

I'm sorry I'm so new to this, this is so much more confusing than the undergrad process was (also, it's way more expensive)!

You should file for the grad plus loan http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PlusLoansGradProfstudents.jsp

Was anybody accepted into Penn without an academic reference?

Was anybody accepted into Penn without an academic reference?

what is considered an academic reference? any reference who knows you from anything except school?

An academic reference is one from a university professor, a university-based research supervisor, or a composite letter from a pre-health committee.... I'm asking if anybody was accepted into Penn without a letter from one of these sources....

edit: the reason I'm asking is I'm a non-trad and do not have an academic eLor... so I'm wondering if Penn is strict about applicants supplying an academic reference, or if people have gotten in without one...

An academic reference is one from a university professor, a university-based research supervisor, or a composite letter from a pre-health committee.... I'm asking if anybody was accepted into Penn without a letter from one of these sources....

edit: the reason I'm asking is I'm a non-trad and do not have an academic eLor... so I'm wondering if Penn is strict about applicants supplying an academic reference, or if people have gotten in without one...

I don't think they would accept you without one... like every vet school they can pick and choose among their applicants since they have thousands. You could always call admissions and ask though.

I would PM Startingovervet because he applied to vet school as a second career and if I would imagine anyone from Penn applying without an academic reference that seems like the best chance. If I had been out of school for many years I wouldn't have asked an old prof for an elor unless an academic reference was required (and i dont remember if vmcas requires it)

davidd....i applied to penn last year without an academic reference, because i was in a similar situation...i had been out of school for several years and hadn't been close to any of my profs...i had two vets and my current boss write me letters of rec...unfortunately they still wanted the academic ref and sent me a letter saying i was missing that from my application...i managed to get my genetics prof at the community college i was taking prereq's for to write me one, so i was able to scrape by that requirement. unfortunately i was rejected last year, but during my case review...i was told my rejection had nothing to do with my references...when i reapplied this year, i jumped through the hoops they told me to and i got accepted :)...i was really worried about that aspect of the application too...and when i asked my genetics prof to write me a letter...my thoughts were...good lord...she hardly knows who i am, because i'm the quiet kid in the back of the class...lol...anyway, hope this helps at least a little and sorry for the book

I would PM Startingovervet because he applied to vet school as a second career and if I would imagine anyone from Penn applying without an academic reference that seems like the best chance. If I had been out of school for many years I wouldn't have asked an old prof for an elor unless an academic reference was required (and i dont remember if vmcas requires it)

In my case I had to take a ton of pre-reqs (virtually all of them) to apply so I had many choices for an academic reference. Sorry I have nothing better to add.

BTW, PennWe c/o 2015, I have heard that there is going to be an anatomy "seminar" hopefully offered this summer by a couple of ace 2nd and 3rd year students. It is supposed to help ease the transition into anatomy for those who may be anatomy-challenged.

If you are a non-trad with little vet background I would highly recommend you sign up for the program. And don't worry, I have nothing to do with teaching it, no one would learn much from me:(.

Details aren't available yet, so please don't ask about it yet. If anyone is interested I will try to provide details later in the summer.

There is still a possibility it won't be available until 2016.

Speaking of anatomy, we got the requirements for anatomy emailed to us recently, including the lab coat, dissection kit, etc. Does anyone know if I can just take my current lab coat (which happens to have the name of my current hospital on it) and use that instead of buying a new one? Are there any requirements about cuffs or length or anything?

I don't think it matters but you will destroy it in all manner of disgusting horse insides and never want to look at it again so don't use it if you want to keep it :)

also SOV you should PM me about the anatomy thing...