UPenn c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
davidd....i applied to penn last year without an academic reference, because i was in a similar situation...i had been out of school for several years and hadn't been close to any of my profs...i had two vets and my current boss write me letters of rec...unfortunately they still wanted the academic ref and sent me a letter saying i was missing that from my application...i managed to get my genetics prof at the community college i was taking prereq's for to write me one, so i was able to scrape by that requirement. unfortunately i was rejected last year, but during my case review...i was told my rejection had nothing to do with my references...when i reapplied this year, i jumped through the hoops they told me to and i got accepted :)...i was really worried about that aspect of the application too...and when i asked my genetics prof to write me a letter...my thoughts were...good lord...she hardly knows who i am, because i'm the quiet kid in the back of the class...lol...anyway, hope this helps at least a little and sorry for the book

thanks, that does help and it eases my mind a little bit... I was trying to avoid sending a generic letter from a science professor who hardly knows me, but I might just go ahead and do that..... I otherwise have solid elors...

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of anatomy, we got the requirements for anatomy emailed to us recently, including the lab coat, dissection kit, etc. Does anyone know if I can just take my current lab coat (which happens to have the name of my current hospital on it) and use that instead of buying a new one? Are there any requirements about cuffs or length or anything?

Most folks have a long coat (mid-thigh length), not one of the short hip-length coats. As for cuffs...no requirements, but I had to fold mine up since my sleeves were always dipping into my cadaver. Icky.

Agree with bunnity -- mine went straight into the trash at the end of the year. If you don't want to destroy your embroidered coat, just find the cheapest coat you can. I got my coat for micro/parasit at Dolbey's this past fall (which is where your dissection kit comes from) and I think it was around $15-$20. They have a frequent buyers card for scrubs, lab coats, etc -- ask for it...Once you spend a certain amount of money, you get free scrubs (I think).

FYI, soon-to-be second years...You need a lab coat for micro and parasit this fall. Unfortunately they don't tell you that until the first day of class ;) so you might want to have one ready to go. I'm pretty sure my class bought out Dolbey's supply last year during lunch on the first day since we had lab that afternoon! :laugh:

thanks, that does help and it eases my mind a little bit... I was trying to avoid sending a generic letter from a science professor who hardly knows me, but I might just go ahead and do that..... I otherwise have solid elors...

See if you can schedule a meeting with them to ask them if they can write you a STRONG eLOR. Give them a copy of your resume and sit down with them for a few minutes to chat. At least then they'll know who you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
See if you can schedule a meeting with them to ask them if they can write you a STRONG eLOR. Give them a copy of your resume and sit down with them for a few minutes to chat. At least then they'll know who you are.

thanks for the advice, I'm sure it couldn't hurt... I'll probably give this a shot...

FYI, soon-to-be second years...You need a lab coat for micro and parasit this fall. Unfortunately they don't tell you that until the first day of class ;) so you might want to have one ready to go. I'm pretty sure my class bought out Dolbey's supply last year during lunch on the first day since we had lab that afternoon! :laugh:

Hmm. Thanks, nice to know. I still have my anatomy coat missing a few buttons but still looks ok. Might re-use that.... Then again, it didn't bring me much luck, might need a change!