UPenn c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
we got like nothing hahaha there was some snow but it melted off side walks/streets especially after plows went through. But like laitmanvet said, you probably don't want to wear your nice shoes thru this crappy weather/slushy black snow from cars haha so id still bring boots. to save space if you have a small suitcase id wear the boots and put ur dress shoes in the carry on
 
we got like nothing hahaha there was some snow but it melted off side walks/streets especially after plows went through. But like laitmanvet said, you probably don't want to wear your nice shoes thru this crappy weather/slushy black snow from cars haha so id still bring boots. to save space if you have a small suitcase id wear the boots and put ur dress shoes in the carry on

Ummm... Sorry to disagree BlacKAT but that was 3-5 inches of nothing. You obviously didn't have to shovel it😛.
 
Ummm... Sorry to disagree BlacKAT but that was 3-5 inches of nothing. You obviously didn't have to shovel it😛.

lol 3-5 inches IS nothing considering they were calling it a blizzard, it totally skipped us. And the sidewalks were completely clear for walking right away this morning. If philly doesnt have a problem clearing it, it wasn't a bad storm lol Besides, i know your house...u think u have a lot to shovel? try living in the suburbs! do u have a secret driveway i cant see from the front??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there- I'm really glad I found this site- lots of great people, great information and great support! Heading down to Penn tomorrow for my interview- somewhat anxious, but still excited- it's my third time applying and my first interview with them. It sounds like it shouldn't be too stressful- everyone has said how wonderful the people down there are!!!
 
Hi guys! I'm still waiting too! I would concur with Kaydubs that, especially since we're getting into mid/late Jan, people will most likely get notice via email, not snail mail. I've been avoiding SDN the last few weeks b/c I was becoming discouraged that all the invites had pretty much gone out and since I wasn't able to send my fall grades until Jan 6th, I figured I was really screwed. I feel a lot better now seeing that there might still be a chance!! My fingers are crossed for us all 🙂
Yeah, I've been considering avoiding SDN as well 😉 But, I'm addicted haha

I REALLY have my fingers crossed for this week. Not sure why, I've been pretty stoic about it in previous weeks. Just anxious to hear some news, I suppose!

I also was really hopeful to hear this week but, as my inbox was empty (at least of UPenn email) no such luck. I really hope we hear some good news soon!! (Even some news would be better than none, ya know?) :xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:

And, I was wondering: if you apply to your IS and you don't hear anything/get rejected, do other schools take that into consideration? (Prolly a silly question, but it crossed my mind today).
 
Yeah, I've been considering avoiding SDN as well 😉 But, I'm addicted haha



I also was really hopeful to hear this week but, as my inbox was empty (at least of UPenn email) no such luck. I really hope we hear some good news soon!! (Even some news would be better than none, ya know?) :xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:

And, I was wondering: if you apply to your IS and you don't hear anything/get rejected, do other schools take that into consideration? (Prolly a silly question, but it crossed my mind today).

I was really hoping I would hear something too!! Agggghhhh so nerve wracking. I wonder if anyone heard anything yesterday? fingers crossed for the rest of us still waiting to hear :xf:

Sorry I am new to posting on this thread...but I have been lurking for a bit...I am sorta shy...😳
 
I was really hoping I would hear something too!! Agggghhhh so nerve wracking. I wonder if anyone heard anything yesterday? fingers crossed for the rest of us still waiting to hear :xf:

Sorry I am new to posting on this thread...but I have been lurking for a bit...I am sorta shy...😳

Aw, don't be shy 😉 Glad to see you're coming out of your shell (or whatever you prefer) 😀 Did you apply other places besides UPenn?
 
Aw, don't be shy 😉 Glad to see you're coming out of your shell (or whatever you prefer) 😀 Did you apply other places besides UPenn?


Yay, me too! I have always wanted to post, but never did...New Years Resolution? 👍

I applied to Tufts as well. I live in DC and thus I dont have a state school so I chose schools that had a high out of state acceptance...although I am sorta wishing I applied to more schools..eek!

I am crossing my fingers, AND toes!
 
Hi there- I'm really glad I found this site- lots of great people, great information and great support! Heading down to Penn tomorrow for my interview- somewhat anxious, but still excited- it's my third time applying and my first interview with them. It sounds like it shouldn't be too stressful- everyone has said how wonderful the people down there are!!!

congrats! good luck tomorrow and hopefully i'll get to chat with you if you hang around after the interview process for the evening festivities

Axel-thanks for coming out of your shell!
 
I was really hoping I would hear something too!! Agggghhhh so nerve wracking. I wonder if anyone heard anything yesterday? fingers crossed for the rest of us still waiting to hear :xf:

I just called the admissions office, and among other things I asked about the invites being sent every Wednesday - the guy I spoke with said that there's no set day of the week the invitations are sent out. He said it just happens when they finish that set of applicants. So, don't worry everyone!! I don't believe that any emails were sent out yesterday.

I don't know if this is better or worse though, not having a set day of the week on which to tear my hair out!

He also said that invitations are usually sent out through the end of February, so we have a ways to go yet . . .
 
I just called the admissions office, and among other things I asked about the invites being sent every Wednesday - the guy I spoke with said that there's no set day of the week the invitations are sent out. He said it just happens when they finish that set of applicants. So, don't worry everyone!! I don't believe that any emails were sent out yesterday.

I don't know if this is better or worse though, not having a set day of the week on which to tear my hair out!

He also said that invitations are usually sent out through the end of February, so we have a ways to go yet . . .

I think this could be worse...at least I had only 1 day a week to worry about. Aw man......🙁 But, on the good side: more time for us to hear good news! (....)

Thank you for the update 😀 You're awesome 👍👍
 
Last edited:
I just called the admissions office, and among other things I asked about the invites being sent every Wednesday - the guy I spoke with said that there's no set day of the week the invitations are sent out. He said it just happens when they finish that set of applicants. So, don't worry everyone!! I don't believe that any emails were sent out yesterday.

I don't know if this is better or worse though, not having a set day of the week on which to tear my hair out!

He also said that invitations are usually sent out through the end of February, so we have a ways to go yet . . .


Thank you so much for calling...I've been meaning to do it myself, but I hadn't gotten around to it. I have, however, (and will continue to), been refreshing my email like crazy I may have lost my sanity a while back!

Here's to more waiting...

:bang:
 
He also said that invitations are usually sent out through the end of February, so we have a ways to go yet . . .

When first reading this I thought, "Oh man, the end of February is so far away!!!" Then I realized that the first half of January has already flown by. I'm trying so hard to focus on other things and not stress about not hearing back yet. Just have to keep busy I guess.
 
You're welcome! I've been trying to plan a week-long vacation that doesn't include Fridays, on the off chance that I get an interview. 🙄 I wish my job didn't involve so much time in front of a computer!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're welcome! I've been trying to plan a week-long vacation that doesn't include Fridays, on the off chance that I get an interview. 🙄 I wish my job didn't involve so much time in front of a computer!!


I agree...I work in a lab and when my experiments are running I basically sit in front of the computer and refresh my email. Not a healthy habit🙄...must find a distraction
 
I agree...I work in a lab and when my experiments are running I basically sit in front of the computer and refresh my email. Not a healthy habit🙄...must find a distraction

I work on the 8th floor so sometimes I just run up and down the stairs when I get too stressed or antsy 🙂
 
I just got an interview for feb 11 at the New Bolton Center 😍😀!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe they're doing LA applicants so early! Any other LA get an interview for that date??
 
I just got an interview for feb 11 at the New Bolton Center 😍😀!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe they're doing LA applicants so early! Any other LA get an interview for that date??


Congrats!!!! 😀

So is there only one round of LA applicant interviews?
 
I think typically there is.

I do know of a few people who've gotten LA interview invites for this year within the past week, I'm not sure if its for Feb 11th but I'm guessing probably because Penn seems to send the invites a month before the interview date.

I do know one large animal person who was in my interview group last year and somehow didn't get put into the New Bolton Center interview day, so don't lose hope yet!
 
I just got an interview for feb 11 at the New Bolton Center 😍😀!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe they're doing LA applicants so early! Any other LA get an interview for that date??


Whoohoo, congrats!! :highfive:

Nothing (refresh) here (refresh) yet. But I've had such a good application season I can hardly complain if I don't get an interview at one school (as much as I'm dying to see New Bolton!). But maybe I should refresh my email inbox one more time 😛

Good luck at your interview! And good luck to everyone else still waiting :luck:
 
I think typically there is.

I do know of a few people who've gotten LA interview invites for this year within the past week, I'm not sure if its for Feb 11th but I'm guessing probably because Penn seems to send the invites a month before the interview date.

I do know one large animal person who was in my interview group last year and somehow didn't get put into the New Bolton Center interview day, so don't lose hope yet!


Ahhh bummer 🙁. Research was also an interest so maybe there is still hope?:xf:

Anyway congrats to all of you who received interview invites!!🙂
 
I just got an interview for feb 11 at the New Bolton Center 😍😀!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe they're doing LA applicants so early! Any other LA get an interview for that date??


Congrats!!!! I'll be there too! I was so excited when I opened up the email!! I was super suprised to get it so early as well, but hey, I'm not complaining! Will you be staying after for the happy hour? if there is a happy hour that day? 😛 I am just wayyy to excited for this! :soexcited:
 
congrats!!

wow, feb 11?? usually the NBC day is later, after all the other interviews have been completed. So yea, there is usually only one NBC interview day but who knows whats going on now because i did not expect it to be so early, not sure how they are changing things up this yr

Keep in mind though that for the NBC day they usually only invite the people who solely want to work with LAs. If you even mentioned small animals, exotics, any other species then you'd be put into the regular interview days. If you talked about mixed animal practice then you'd be in the regular days. So dont think that if you didnt get an invite now for the NBC day that your chances are gone, they may have considered your file for a regular day 🙂

southjerseybell-there is usually happy hr every fri 😀 the only times there wont be are if there is another event planned. Like the pig roast yesterday..which also included a happy hr.
 
hi i'm a SA applicant interviewing at penn in a few weeks.. to any of the current students, i guess particularly those tracking in SA, how does the whole philly to new bolton thing work? do you just take classes in philly the first two years and do rotations and clinicals in new bolton during parts of the last two years so that you can just get a place out there for a month or so instead of traveling daily from philly?

and does penn do any PBL/CBL?

i'm still in the process of scouring the penn website for info but these just came to mind...thank you!!!
 
Congrats!!!! I'll be there too! I was so excited when I opened up the email!! I was super suprised to get it so early as well, but hey, I'm not complaining! Will you be staying after for the happy hour? if there is a happy hour that day? 😛 I am just wayyy to excited for this! :soexcited:

Congrats to you too!! I think I will stay for happy hour, it would be nice to meet some more of the students 🙂 but ya, I'm SOOOOOOO excited 😀, but nervous too! What are you wearing as "farm appropriate" interview shoes? I was thinking maybe something like penny loafers, but they'll look pretty goofy with a suit skirt...then again so will any farm appropriate shoes :laugh:

Good luck to everyone else!! :xf::luck:
 
hi i'm a SA applicant interviewing at penn in a few weeks.. to any of the current students, i guess particularly those tracking in SA, how does the whole philly to new bolton thing work? do you just take classes in philly the first two years and do rotations and clinicals in new bolton during parts of the last two years so that you can just get a place out there for a month or so instead of traveling daily from philly?

and does penn do any PBL/CBL?

i'm still in the process of scouring the penn website for info but these just came to mind...thank you!!!

classes for the first 2.5 years. then for clinicals you do rotations for diff areas. when you get to your LA rotation you have the option of living there (for free) they have apartments on the NBC campus, or you can choose to commute during your rotation.

The NBC thing isnt really a big deal IMO. If you're small animal you wont be going out there as much, only when it is required like for the LA rotatoin in clinical year. I forgot how long that is for, but its shorter than a quarter (i think). Ive also heard of SA people arranging their LA blocks together so they can get it all done at once. I dont have much knowledge about it though. Anyway, if you're LA focused then most people end up just staying in the apartments on the NBC campus.

If having a vet school in the city requires that your (amazing) LA center is farther away, i'll take it! i love the city 🙂

Penn doesnt have PBL curriculum like cornell or hmm western i think. But they do introduce cases to us. In each lecture they will relate what they taught to certain cases that are popular. In biochem we had a project to diagnose our patient based on info that they gave us. I think they do a nice job with integrating clinical cases. I think i read on a syllabus for some class this semester that we have more PBL cases for homework or something.

They also started a new clinical curriculum (we do have clinical courses and labs first year) but for second yrs they now have diff rotations where they get paired with a 3rd/4th yr during their clinicals and they follow cases. You're split into groups and there are so many hrs that you need in each area of vet med. This was the first year they started this curriculum and i think all of the 2nd yrs really like it so far.
 
wow, feb 11?? usually the NBC day is later, after all the other interviews have been completed. So yea, there is usually only one NBC interview day but who knows whats going on now because i did not expect it to be so early, not sure how they are changing things up this yr

Until last year, there were 2 large animal interview dates at New Bolton. My year, the first was February 13 (I'll always remember that date! 😉 ) and I believe the second was March 13. So, not really that unusual for it to be Feb 11. And yes, they interview lots of large animal people in Philadelphia. Every year is different though, depending on the applicants, the budget, the schedule, etc so it really isn't a great idea to draw conclusions from past admissions cycles.

Your best source of info is really the admissions office -- and as someone posted, it sounds like they are interviewing at least through February. At this point, no news is still good news.

As for what I wore to my NBC interview, I wore ballet flats, suit pants, a button down shirt and a cotton sweater. You'll be doing a lot of walking around outdoors, but you'll also be sitting inside for part of the day -- so you want layers that you can remove. There was a lot of variation in shoes for my date (paddock boots to kitten heels), but if they specified "farm-appropriate" footwear, I'd go with that. You can always throw a pair of flats into your bag for your actual interview.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to you too!! I think I will stay for happy hour, it would be nice to meet some more of the students 🙂 but ya, I'm SOOOOOOO excited 😀, but nervous too! What are you wearing as "farm appropriate" interview shoes? I was thinking maybe something like penny loafers, but they'll look pretty goofy with a suit skirt...then again so will any farm appropriate shoes :laugh:

Good luck to everyone else!! :xf::luck:


Oye, I was contemplating that issue as well, I would go for a boot, either paddock or flat fashion boot with a decent sole. (I am envisioning walking through barn aisles that may or may not contain manure in several spots) And in this recent weather, it might be pretty muddy so i would avoid a ballet flat. Penny loafers sound pretty good for the situation. I'm so tempted to wear my river boots, but, somehow it might just be a tad over the top. 😛 Ben and Me suggested throwing a pair of flats in our bag for the actual interview, which is a good idea.

BlacKAT33- I MISSED A PIG ROAST?!?!?!?!?! 😱 omg. but thanks, lol, I definitely wanted to hang around for the happy hour to mingle with the students and I'm glad to know one will be happening!
 
:xf:
This is the first time I applied and I never would have guessed this waiting period was such a torture...
I called admissions office last week, and they said they have my application and all the documents.
I asked how many applicants there were and he said about 1300 applications received this year.
I haven't been sleeping well lately,, checking my emails like every hour...
All of sudden I decided to check back on SDN for some useful info, and I regret why I haven't took advantage of this useful forum!!!!!
Whether I get in to any vet schools this year or not, I think I'm gon fall in love with SDN...haha
BTW, after reviewing all the threads (for the last 4 hours), I thought it would be helpful if any accepted students of UPENN post their statistics if possible.
 
thank you so much blackat! hope i get to meet you at happy hour!
and sorry guys, i have another q i can't find the answer to anywhere else:

do you find out who the interviewers are and learn a little bit about them before the actual interview? i know at tufts they give out sheets of paper with a picture, short bio/interests of your interviewers at the beginning of the day, so you can have some time to think about specific questions to ask. and it seemed like most of the interviewers there were faculty members.

and to eunice cho, i think since the penn interviews started recently you won't find many successful stats of this year's group just yet, but you can look at last year's here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=689494
 
I didn't interview on LA day, but I'd be surprised if you actually went into the barns. The biosecurity measures there are really tight. My class toured New Bolton during orientation and we didn't go into any treatment areas or places where animals were housed.
 
thank you so much blackat! hope i get to meet you at happy hour!
and sorry guys, i have another q i can't find the answer to anywhere else:

do you find out who the interviewers are and learn a little bit about them before the actual interview? i know at tufts they give out sheets of paper with a picture, short bio/interests of your interviewers at the beginning of the day, so you can have some time to think about specific questions to ask. and it seemed like most of the interviewers there were faculty members.

and to eunice cho, i think since the penn interviews started recently you won't find many successful stats of this year's group just yet, but you can look at last year's here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=689494

no, you won't know who is going to interview you until the day of your interview when they hand the folders out. the interviewers will be a mix of professors (PhDs or DVMs), administration, and alumni.
i wouldn't worry about not knowing things about them, i feel like that would be fluff talk anyway because then u'd get people asking questions just for the sake of asking questions and not really something that they want to know. if you're curious i guess you can ask if the teach something at penn. otherwise, just have questions ready that you could ask for anyone, even if it is about a specific field of interest one of the 2 interviewers should be able to answer it
 
I'm so tempted to wear my river boots, but, somehow it might just be a tad over the top.

I don't think they would be inappropriate. 🙂 One of my good friends wore cute rubber rain boots to her interview last year, and is now a member of the 1st year class. 😉

My year, there were 2 separate interview days for Food Animal and Equine folks. The Food Animal folks went to the dairy, we didn't. But, since last year they combined the two days into one (not sure what they're doing this year), everyone went to the dairy -- so I think they basically want you in something that can be sanitized, to some degree. As bunnity stated, biosecurity is a big deal out there, so make sure your shoes are ok with stepping in footbaths, putting on clear plastic booties over, etc.

If you do want to change shoes, there will be a spot for you to leave your boots when you go in to interview. But, since they specify "farm appropriate" footwear, I think it would be fine to wear your shoes all day!
 
My year, there were 2 separate interview days for Food Animal and Equine folks... But, since last year they combined the two days into one (not sure what they're doing this year),

So does this mean that all equine applicants are interviewed on the same day? Or do they just take the equine/FA applicants from each pool and interview them separately from the SA people?

Ugh. This whole system of sending out interview letters in phases has me all in a tizzy. I always wonder how they figure out the pools (alphabetically? by designated field? randomly?) and worry that me being in the later pool is somehow makes me at a disadvantage. I know that people have been hearing back about their admission status shortly after the interview. So some people already know they are accepted while others are left on edge for months. It's madness!

It's so hard not to call and ask them what pool I am in, but I am sure they wouldn't be able to tell me anyway. 🙁
 
So does this mean that all equine applicants are interviewed on the same day? Or do they just take the equine/FA applicants from each pool and interview them separately from the SA people?

Ugh. This whole system of sending out interview letters in phases has me all in a tizzy. I always wonder how they figure out the pools (alphabetically? by designated field? randomly?) and worry that me being in the later pool is somehow makes me at a disadvantage. I know that people have been hearing back about their admission status shortly after the interview. So some people already know they are accepted while others are left on edge for months. It's madness!

It's so hard not to call and ask them what pool I am in, but I am sure they wouldn't be able to tell me anyway. 🙁

sorry the waiting is so rough! i have no idea if there is an order to their system or what it is. I have a theory though, it makes sense to me. Penn gets (i think) the most OOS applicants than any other school. This makes sense because they accept more OOS applicants than most schools. Also, most people who get accepted to Penn also get accepted to at least one other school, if not many other schools. It is hard to predict if these applicants will accept Penn's invite or choose (a cheaper) route like their IS school. With everything I've said so far, I believe the acceptances they send out depends largely on how many people they hear back from. I think they accept a certain number (one that they know works from previous years) to get an accurate class size. Anyway...i'm slowly losing my train of though lol but this is the theory I have come up with for why they interview in chunks of applicants and keep hold of other applications til the end in case they decide to interview more people.
Who knows, maybe this theory is completely wrong, but at least this post made you waste a lil time (assuming why most of us go on SDN lol) while you wait to hear from schools 😀 good luck!
 
Ugh. This whole system of sending out interview letters in phases has me all in a tizzy. I always wonder how they figure out the pools (alphabetically? by designated field? randomly?) and worry that me being in the later pool is somehow makes me at a disadvantage. I know that people have been hearing back about their admission status shortly after the interview. So some people already know they are accepted while others are left on edge for months. It's madness!

I agree 100%, awaring1! It is madness but, I hope it will be worth it in the end 🙂 :xf::luck::xf::luck:
 
worry that me being in the later pool is somehow makes me at a disadvantage.

Absolutely not. If you get an interview, that means they think positively of you! 1300 people applied - you bet they're only picking interviewees they think could be good Penn students. If they didn't think you could be well worth the offer of a seat they would've picked some other of the 1300.

And like all schools, they'll make offers to more people than there are slots for, because some of those accepted will choose other schools, for instance, if they also get accepted at their own much-cheaper in-state, or for whatever reason.
 
So does this mean that all equine applicants are interviewed on the same day? Or do they just take the equine/FA applicants from each pool and interview them separately from the SA people?

No, it doesn't. Lots of large animal folks interview in the city at another date, especially if they've already been out to New Bolton for one reason or another.
 
I don't think they would be inappropriate. 🙂 One of my good friends wore cute rubber rain boots to her interview last year, and is now a member of the 1st year class. 😉


If you do want to change shoes, there will be a spot for you to leave your boots when you go in to interview. But, since they specify "farm appropriate" footwear, I think it would be fine to wear your shoes all day!


I definitely like the idea of having those rubber rain boots and then switching to a small heel or a flat for the actual interview. And I have another random accessory question: Purses. (sorry guys 😛) I have a rather large purse, which is great for stuffing extra shoes and water bottles into. However, would it be too obnoxious during the interview to have it with me? Can we leave them behind with our boots and coats?
 
I definitely like the idea of having those rubber rain boots and then switching to a small heel or a flat for the actual interview. And I have another random accessory question: Purses. (sorry guys 😛) I have a rather large purse, which is great for stuffing extra shoes and water bottles into. However, would it be too obnoxious during the interview to have it with me? Can we leave them behind with our boots and coats?

I can't speak to how it will be this year, but 2 years ago, they kept us all in a room downstairs (with students to chat with) as folks went upstairs to interview. I'm 99% sure I left my purse down there (along with my coat and materials) during the actual interview. Just make sure it is small enough to carry around all day and I'm sure you'll be fine! 🙂
 
I can't speak to how it will be this year, but 2 years ago, they kept us all in a room downstairs (with students to chat with) as folks went upstairs to interview. I'm 99% sure I left my purse down there (along with my coat and materials) during the actual interview. Just make sure it is small enough to carry around all day and I'm sure you'll be fine! 🙂

Thanks!! I'm being finicky about details now as I am getting nervous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats to the lurkers who got in today but haven't posted!! 🙂

just wanted to say this before someone starts a fb group, the c/o 2014 admissions committee has already made a fb group for your year 2015 and once people get accepted and finalize their school choice i guess they will be spreading the word or emailing the new class about it.
So if i talked to you at an interview earlier and told you to start a fb group early this year...please don't do it yet since it has already been done! 😀
 
Ugh--I keep walking past all the interviewees every Friday (since I work for Penn Vet) and I'm so happy for all of them but I want to join them so badly everytime!
Haha k-that's all--thanks for listening to my mini-rant. 😡
But congrats to all those who have interviews/acceptances!! Lucky-Ducks!
 
Hello all, I've been a superstitious lurker for the past few weeks. I got my acceptance phone call from Penn this afternoon (interviewed 1/14)!! I'll be pulling for the rest of you and am just really excited to be part of what I am sure will be an awesome class of 2015!