UPENN c/o 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahallowell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all - who else is applying to PennVet? I'm a second-time applicant. IS resident. I'm born and raised Philadelphian if anyone has questions about the city.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
finallyyyyyy we have this thread :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm going on my second year out of school, but can try to help with questions. Just know I may not be as up to date on curriculum changes and that's where the current students will be more helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have changed a few things! From what I can gather, first years now have ICVM shifts in the hospital and at New Bolton (more than just the few labs that it used to be)

Yeah we have one day out at new bolton this semester with bovine and equine handling and then helping 4th years with their shifts. Also a 4 hour (i think?) shift at Ryan (small animal) working in various departments. They also told us there is going to be some sort of hands on lab that we will have access to to practice various clinical skills although I haven't heard anything about it since orientation.

Aside from tuition expenses, about how much do you, as a current student, spend per month on living expenses primarily rent in Philly?

Aside from tuition expenses, about how much do you, as a current student, spend per month on living expenses primarily rent in Philly?
I commute, so I don't pay rent, but from what I've heard people pay anywhere from $500-$1000 on average. Some pay a lot more, a few pay less.

Reactions: 1 users

When I lived in University City I lived on 44th and Spruce through Campus Apartments ... 3 bedroom apartment we each spent 600. I live in a small house in South Philly now with my SO and also spend 600. If you're living on your own it could be about 750-1000.

Yup! I live in a house with 4 other people, 4 blocks away from the vet school. I have the biggest room and thus the highest rent. For me and my cat (an extra fee), I pay $637 a month not including utilities. Utilities range anywhere from $20 (in the summer) to $120 (in the winter when we have to pay for heat, but we also think there is something wrong with our gas meter making this so high....)

The most I paid for rent was $825 in a super really nice 3br apartment. I paid the most cause I had the master bedroom. West Philly is sort of a pay for what you get situation.

I always had roommates so rent was usually cheap as were utilities and never had to pay pet fees.

Was any kind of confirmation sent out? All my other schools let me know they had eveything

Not yet.. only received an email that my supplemental was received. When I applied last time I didn't receive a confirmation until mid- November (that was also back in 2012 lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
Was any kind of confirmation sent out? All my other schools let me know they had eveything
Penn does generally send out the confirmation later, and we’ve had a major admissions person out for the last few months, so I wouldn’t be surprised if some things took a little longer than normal.

If anyone is still curious about it, just received a confirmation email that my application was received, complete, and ready for review.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

I'm excited to hear back, I'm in my undergrad at Drexel right now so UPenn is right next door! To all the people asking about living expenses, I've found that in the UCity area you pay for your location so you can make any kind of budget fit if need be, you just have to choose different neighborhoods and locations.

A friend of mine got an interview invite today. Anyone else hear back?

Haven't heard anything yet.
Is your friend IS or OOS?

Interview, IS, January 5th! Just got the email. First good news I’ve gotten so far!

Reactions: 4 users
Interview Jan 5th! So excited. (I'm OOS).

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone!
Historically interview invites will be sent out now every thursdayish until about the middle of January or so. (But I'm pretty sure they don't send anything during the week we are off of school (from Dec 22 - Jan 2)). So if you didn't hear anything today, don't lose hope!

Interview Jan 5th too! Aah I'm over the moon. I'm also OOS. According to an info pamphlet from a few years back, they extend roughly twice the amount of interview offers as spots. Seems like pretty good chances :)

For everyone who hasn't heard back yet, you still have plenty of time!

I’m IS (actually in-city, I can see PennVet from my work building) but haven’t heard anything yet. Hoping for good news this year :( fingers crossed for everyone as well!

What time are these emails coming? All at once or do they do it over the course of the day

Mahhh this is going to be an anxious December

What time are these emails coming? All at once or do they do it over the course of the day

Mahhh this is going to be an anxious December
exactly what I was wondering. Also, does anyone know if they have a method of sending out interviews. Best candidates first? Alphabetical? Date of submission?

Congrats to everyone that heard so far!
Can you let us know when you submitted your applications?
And does anyone know the stats regarding how many IS and OOS interviews are offered?

Also, if UPENN assigns the interview date, what happens if you already have an interview scheduled that day in another state?

And does anyone know the stats regarding how many IS and OOS interviews are offered?

Also, if UPENN assigns the interview date, what happens if you already have an interview scheduled that day in another state?

I think I submitted the day before the deadline. :p Or possibly even a few hours before the deadline.

I also couldn't find the admissions stats so I wouldn't mind seeing that too!

If you have two interviews scheduled for the same day, you could try contacting the other school about rescheduling. But most likely you will have to choose only one of them to go to and decline the other. Rest assured that the schools know about possible overlapping interview slots; there are just too many people to reschedule and they sort of want to force a decision. :shrug:

I got my email around 9:30 AM (for the other person who asked above). I submitted my application a few days before the original VMCAS deadline (September 11th I think?).

From what I've heard in the past, UPenn divides their interviews to some extent into small animal versus large animal. I indicated in my essays and application that I was interested in SA, so it stands to assume that, if they're using that setup, they're doing SA first. I have a couple of other PSU friends (also IS) who are way more qualified than I am who have not yet heard anything, and they are interested in LA.

I don't know much about their IS/OOS numbers, but as far as rescheduling goes, the email states that there will be no rescheduling allowed and that all interviews have to be confirmed by phone call by December 15th (for the January 5th interview date anyway).

My fingers are crossed for all of you! UPenn was very explicit in saying that the whole interview process will be conducted over a couple of months, so there is no reason to panic!

I believe invites all sent out together on the days that they go out, not throughout the day.
There is traditionally one Large Animal day in February..? I think it's one of the last interview days.
All I know is that invites are NOT sent out based on application submission date, IS/OOS, or name.

All I know is that invites are NOT sent out based on application submission date, IS/OOS, or name.

Do you happen to know, or have a general idea, what it’s based on?

@smooch from what I’ve seen in the past it’s all pretty random with the exception that most (not all) large animal folks Interview together in February since they make a special trip out to New Bolton. I’ve had friends interview in the first round and get waitlisted and friends that interviewed the last slot and get accepted.

yup, what was said above. If they are interested, you WILL get an invite. It could be something about GPA/GRE scores or some really incredible experience that someone has that might get them an earlier interview. But the interviews seem to really look at everyone as whole people, and just because the first day-ers might have those top credentials, it doesn't mean they will get a seat over someone else who interviewed on the last day.

Only the admission committee really knows how anyone gets picked for acceptance. The interviewers are all very nice, and the students you interact with that day will play a role in the admission process, so you want to be respectful of them as well. The interview itself is very laid back and tends to range person to person when questions the ask, based on your application. Typically accepted students get a phone call the monday after their interview (+/- a few days because the interviewers tend to do the calls and it depends on when they have time), and waitlisted/on hold students tend to get an email the week after the interview. Not sure about rejections after interviews. From past years it seems that if they are going to reject someone without an interview, they wait until like the very end of the cycle to tell you.

Any other questions? Happy to help, it's an excellent way to procrastinate :)

Reactions: 2 users
also, all of my information is from years of watching application cycles happen on here and from my own experience. I have no "ins." so if something has changed, I don't know about it lol

also, all of my information is from years of watching application cycles happen on here and from my own experience. I have no "ins." so if something has changed, I don't know about it lol
Do you about denial letters? Would they be out already?

I spoke with admissions the other day and was told the initial round of rejections had already gone out, and the bulk most likely will be sent out after all interviews are extended. Good luck everyone, and congrats to everyone who got an invite today!!!

I honestly don't know. you can go back to last year or my years thread to look to see if anyone mentioned anything about getting rejections early on. I want to say if you have like a horrible GPA, you might get an early rejection, but other than that, they tend to string everyone along for a while.

@toro2013 yeah there’s generally two rounds of rejections. One before the first round of interviews and then the second after the last round of invitations go out. The last time I applied I received my rejection email on March 19th.

Interview on the 5th also! Hoping for good news for everybody still waiting to hear back

For those of you who have been offered interviews so far, what did you put for your area of interest? It seems like most people I've talked to so far put mixed.

I'm lab animal/research

OOS Invite by email today! I got rejected from my IS school this week so I'm feeling pretty good about life again.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got invited to interview today!

IS and got my interview on Thursday! I am lab animal/research and a non-traditional applicant. Can't wait to meet people on January 5th! Everyone else, keep your head up and your email constantly refreshed.:)

I'm OOS and got an interview invite for January 5th and I believe I put my interest as small animal

My interview is on January 12th and I put my interest as wildlife.

Hey all,

Heard from a vet student that interviewed for PennVet last year that most of the people who get the earliest interview date receive acceptance offers. They seem to interview candidates that they're really interested in earlier.

Just passing along what I heard -- figured it would be good news to some.

That's amazing! January 5th is the first interview then?

Hey all,

Heard from a vet student that interviewed for PennVet last year that most of the people who get the earliest interview date receive acceptance offers. They seem to interview candidates that they're really interested in earlier.

Just passing along what I heard -- figured it would be good news to some.
I'd take this with a grain of salt, because people who are interviewed the first day do get rejected and people who interview the last day do get accepted. If you get an interview, they are interested; go, be a good person and know what you wrote in your personal statement and be able to answer questions about it.

Reactions: 6 users