UPENN c/o 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the dates the interviews take place? The 5th is the first date but anyone know the others? Also are you assigned them or do you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the dates the interviews take place? The 5th is the first date but anyone know the others? Also are you assigned them or do you pick?
They are usually every Friday until about mid to late February. You are assigned a day, and if you can't make it, your forfeit your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview, IS applicant for Jan 19th! Got the email today.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else who applied to the dual degree program gotten interview offers? I got the VMD invite today for Jan 19th, no news on the VMD-PhD yet. I would assume they would try to schedule all of those interviews on the same weekend.

OOS Research-focused.

Just received an interview for the 19th OOS! Selected small animal, super excited!!

Reactions: 4 users
Got my interview invite today! January 19th, IS ^____^ *dies* *revives self* *dies again* Interested in Mixed animal and behavioral medicine

Reactions: 5 users
I guess the theory that interview invites are sent out on Thursday’s has been debunked. Anyone here anything today?

I’ve heard that it’s always Thursday-ish. Not always Thursday 100% of the time
This is the truth from what I've seen. Some weeks are crazy, like this week, so things will go out at a different time. I know last year they went out earlier in the week a few times.

Reactions: 1 user
but it also seems like they sent out interview invites for the first 3 interview days (first 3 fridays of january) already since last thursday... so who knows lol

Members don't see this ad :)
but it also seems like they sent out interview invites for the first 3 interview days (first 3 fridays of january) already since last thursday... so who knows lol
I thought I noticed that too, but I wasn't positive. I think they were getting those out of the way so they don't have to send anything until after Christmas break.

Unsure if anyone else applied to the dual degree program, but I got my rejection letter today in the mail... Here's hoping I can still convince them to accept me to the VMD program at my interview :nailbiting:

Have any large animal students heard yet?? I'm IS and anxiously awaiting :)

Hi @lynn_b! I’m IS, large animal as well. In the past UPENN has had an interview date in the beginning of February just for those that want to pursue large animal. I think last year most of those applicants were notified by mid-January. @mht2k3 were you apart of the large animal interview date at UPENN last year?

Hi @lynn_b! I’m IS, large animal as well. In the past UPENN has had an interview date in the beginning of February just for those that want to pursue large animal. I think last year most of those applicants were notified by mid-January. @mht2k3 were you apart of the large animal interview date at UPENN last year?

Yeah I was part of the large animal day last year. I didn't get my invite until Jan 10th so I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard anything yet.

I knew large animal students would be notified at a later date, just wasn't sure when to expect to hear... Penn is the last school I'm waiting to hear from, besides schools that don't do interviews. I have four interviews already :) Good luck to you !!

@lynn_b oh got you! Yeah, hopefully we hear back by mid-January! Fingers crossed! UPenn is the last school I have left to hear back from besides Iowa State who doesn’t do interviews! I have three other interviews I’m excited about (Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota)... where are your interviews!? Maybe we have some of the same.

@lynn_b oh got you! Yeah, hopefully we hear back by mid-January! Fingers crossed! UPenn is the last school I have left to hear back from besides Iowa State who doesn’t do interviews! I have three other interviews I’m excited about (Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota)... where are your interviews!? Maybe we have some of the same.
When did Iowa stop doing interviews? Do you know?

@Jilary this is the first year that they have discontinued the interviews. We were notified in late August/early September during a webinar and then an email was sent later to all applicants. They said they might bring them back in a future cycle

I have an interview on January 13th at VA-MD, 15th at Michigan State, 20th at Kansas State, and the 26th at Purdue! So we do have a few the same! Congratulations on your interviews and maybe I'll see you at a few!

@lynn_b we have the same date for Purdue so maybe I’ll see you there and hopefully for the large animal interview at Penn! Best of luck with your other interviews!

Awesome, & yes hopefully;)! Thank you so much! Safe travels !:)

I know Penn doesn't require fall transcripts, but would it hurt to send them?

I know Penn doesn't require fall transcripts, but would it hurt to send them?

I called and asked this a couple of weeks ago, and they said that they don't accept updated hours or fall transcripts, since the academic review is basically over. Feel free to call yourself and double check though!

OMGGG I just got an invite to interview for the 26th, OOS. PennVet is my dream school, I'm so excited!!!:love:

Reactions: 2 users
If I haven't heard anything, should I assume I'm waitlisted for an interview or sitting in a rejection pool? I'm IS small animal emergency

@DrAlex2022 nope! Don’t lose hope. They release invites every week until February. I had a friend IS get invited for an interview the first week of February for an interview two weeks later. She just graduated from PennVet back in May. So assume you’re still in the running.

@DrAlex2022 nope! Don’t lose hope. They release invites every week until February. I had a friend IS get invited for an interview the first week of February for an interview two weeks later. She just graduated from PennVet back in May. So assume you’re still in the running.
Here's hoping! It seems like I've avoided a couple rounds of rejections so far.

OOS - invite !! it's on 1/26
hope to see some of y'all there

@DrAlex2022 Hahaha same... I’m trying to stay distracted by focusing on other interviews coming up.. I just saw on the Kansas State thread you received an interview, Good luck! Hopefully we’ll hear from PENN soon

@DrAlex2022 Hahaha same... I’m trying to stay distracted by focusing on other interviews coming up.. I just saw on the Kansas State thread you received an interview, Good luck! Hopefully we’ll hear from PENN soon
I did! I'm super excited for it! I had 2 interviews in addition to kansas and I should be hearing decisions from those schools any day now. Needless to say, I'm sufficiently distracted! But, Penn is amazing and, with my stats, it would take some kind of miracle to get in. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst! :happy:

OOS interview invite on 1/26!

Reactions: 2 users

Hopefully I will see you at the Purdue interview! I am volunteering to help out, but I'm not sure what I will be doing yet.

Does anyone know if we need to bring anything special to the interview? I assume not, but I’ve seen other people asking about bringing transcripts or other documents to interviews.

On a related note, what does everyone think about bringing a small bag/purse to the interview since guests are not allowed to accompany us and hold things? I’m just not sure what to do with my phone/wallet should I need it. Stupid women’s suits with no pockets :bullcrap:

Can you tell my interview is on Friday and I’m freaking out? :help:

do they give out rejections in waves too? Or just all at once? Lol and congrats to everyone who got an invite ! :)

Does anyone know if we need to bring anything special to the interview? I assume not, but I’ve seen other people asking about bringing transcripts or other documents to interviews.

On a related note, what does everyone think about bringing a small bag/purse to the interview since guests are not allowed to accompany us and hold things? I’m just not sure what to do with my phone/wallet should I need it. Stupid women’s suits with no pockets :bullcrap:

Can you tell my interview is on Friday and I’m freaking out? :help:
Hey!

You don't need to bring anything special. Maybe bring a pen so you can write down things, you'll be given a folder with some documents to write on if you so choose. Also maybe bring a small, non-messy snack in case you get hungry (especially if your in the 11:00 interview group.. I remember being so hungry and telling myself that I was not allowed to pass out on the hospital tour....)

During the interview part of the day you will be hanging out in a classroomroom with other interviewees and our student representatives. When you go into your interview room, you can leave all of your belongings in the classroom and they will be more than safe. During the hospital tour you will carry your things with you, so don't bring a ton of stuff. Your jackets will all be taken in the lobby of the school, so you won't carry those around all day.

I recommend non-heeled shoes for the ladies, just a lot of walking for the hospital tour.

ALSO -- Don't freak out!!! I know it's really hard when you don't know what's coming, but the interviews here are really designed to get to know YOU! They are generally very stress free!

ALSO ALSO - COME TO HAPPY HOUR AT THE END OF THE DAY!
Your interviews will be all over, and relaxing at our happy hour will have absolutely no bearing on the school's decision! Plus we students just love talking to new prospective students :D:D:D

do they give out rejections in waves too? Or just all at once? Lol and congrats to everyone who got an invite ! :)
After they send out all of the interview invites and make decisions, they will send out rejections all at once. At least this has been how it's been in the past. You can look on past years threads to see around when they get sent.. But don't lose hope yet, all the interview invitations are not out yet (I assume, since we haven't seen any large animal people get one yet!)

if anyone has any other questions that you're nervous to ask, you can shoot me a pm!

After they send out all of the interview invites and make decisions, they will send out rejections all at once. At least this has been how it's been in the past. You can look on past years threads to see around when they get sent.. But don't lose hope yet, all the interview invitations are not out yet (I assume, since we haven't seen any large animal people get one yet!)

Ooo Ok thanks for answering my question!

Hey!

You don't need to bring anything special. Maybe bring a pen so you can write down things, you'll be given a folder with some documents to write on if you so choose. Also maybe bring a small, non-messy snack in case you get hungry (especially if your in the 11:00 interview group.. I remember being so hungry and telling myself that I was not allowed to pass out on the hospital tour....)

During the interview part of the day you will be hanging out in a classroomroom with other interviewees and our student representatives. When you go into your interview room, you can leave all of your belongings in the classroom and they will be more than safe. During the hospital tour you will carry your things with you, so don't bring a ton of stuff. Your jackets will all be taken in the lobby of the school, so you won't carry those around all day.

I recommend non-heeled shoes for the ladies, just a lot of walking for the hospital tour.

ALSO -- Don't freak out!!! I know it's really hard when you don't know what's coming, but the interviews here are really designed to get to know YOU! They are generally very stress free!

Your interviews will be all over, and relaxing at our happy hour will have absolutely no bearing on the school's decision! Plus we students just love talking to new prospective students :D:D:D

I know guests can't accompany us to the scheduled interview day activities...does that include the happy hour? I'm making my fiance drive to Philly with me (because I'm a super nervous driver with zero sense of direction) and I really want to go to the happy hour but I feel guilty abandoning him for the entire day....

I know guests can't accompany us to the scheduled interview day activities...does that include the happy hour? I'm making my fiance drive to Philly with me (because I'm a super nervous driver with zero sense of direction) and I really want to go to the happy hour but I feel guilty abandoning him for the entire day....
he can definitely come to happy hour! It's a little tricky to get down to the student lounge where it's held if you don't know the buildings, so it might be challenging to coordinate.. but you can ask one of the student leaders to hang around while you get him or just ask any student you see to lead you to the student lounge!

Hey!

Thanks for your reply! I wish schools were a little more up-front with what all to expect on interview day, so this was super helpful.

Also, your little avatar is adorable and so relatable :laugh:

Hey!

Thank you so much for this!! I am getting super nervous for tomorrow. Especially potentially driving in this storm about to hit. Can't wait to meet everyone tomorrow!

Will the interviews be open file and mostly about our responses? I'm just trying to get a better idea on what type of interview to prepare for.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Thank you so much for this!! I am getting super nervous for tomorrow. Especially potentially driving in this storm about to hit. Can't wait to meet everyone tomorrow!

Will the interviews be open file and mostly about our responses? I'm just trying to get a better idea on what type of interview to prepare for.

we're getting the storm right now, hopefully it'll be over by this afternoon and shouldn't be a problem for tomorrow! (we also still have class right now :bored:)

Interviews are generally questions pertaining to your application. The best advice I can give is to review what you wrote about your experiences tonight so that you know exactly what they have to ask you questions from. I vaguely remember questions about when I was a camp counselor, and a lot of questions about my major (I'm the music major from the Penn c/o 2020 thread...)

If theres time and they feel like they've covered everything in your application, they might ask you some of those typical vet school interview questions (like would you do a convenience euthanasia?) but I've only heard of this happening for very few people. I haven't ever heard of questions that are impossible to answer or anything really putting you on the spot.

I promise, these interviews are as chill as you can possibly hope for! It's going to be FINE!!!

we're getting the storm right now, hopefully it'll be over by this afternoon and shouldn't be a problem for tomorrow! (we also still have class right now :bored:)

Interviews are generally questions pertaining to your application. The best advice I can give is to review what you wrote about your experiences tonight so that you know exactly what they have to ask you questions from. I vaguely remember questions about when I was a camp counselor, and a lot of questions about my major (I'm the music major from the Penn c/o 2020 thread...)

If theres time and they feel like they've covered everything in your application, they might ask you some of those typical vet school interview questions (like would you do a convenience euthanasia?) but I've only heard of this happening for very few people. I haven't ever heard of questions that are impossible to answer or anything really putting you on the spot.

I promise, these interviews are as chill as you can possibly hope for! It's going to be FINE!!!
Okay thank you! One last question, is it just one on one?

Okay thank you! One last question, is it just one on one?

when I interviewed it was one on one, but last year I believe it was one on one conversationally but with someone else also in the room.. @mht2k3 might be able to explain it better from last year