UPenn c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone trying to decide still and got the deadline reminder email from Rob that encouraged calling him to discuss your options- he was very helpful and was so patient in talking through things. He wasn't pushy and totally understood my thought process. I'm still undecided but thought I'd share for others in the same boat to encourage you to utilize him !
 
For anyone trying to decide still and got the deadline reminder email from Rob that encouraged calling him to discuss your options- he was very helpful and was so patient in talking through things. He wasn't pushy and totally understood my thought process. I'm still undecided but thought I'd share for others in the same boat to encourage you to utilize him !
Rob is seriously nice. He’ll put up with anything you throw at him. I probably reached out to him half a dozen times and he was quick to respond every time. You can call him if you want, but I mostly emailed him, and he got back to me sometimes as quickly as a few minutes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone here turning down their seat due to tuition alone? It is the ONLY reason I have for declining, which I know everyone on these forums says is most important, but I'm having a hard time giving up that part of me that loves Penn more than my other options , namely Mississippi because that's my cheapest option out of them all. How do you get over that part of you that feels it's the best option otherwise and fear of feeling like you're missing out on the best option.
 
Is anyone here turning down their seat due to tuition alone? It is the ONLY reason I have for declining, which I know everyone on these forums says is most important, but I'm having a hard time giving up that part of me that loves Penn more than my other options , namely Mississippi because that's my cheapest option out of them all. How do you get over that part of you that feels it's the best option otherwise and fear of feeling like you're missing out on the best option.
I accepted my offer and I’m in state so my experience is different than yours, but I have a friend at Mississippi State and she loves it. You have to understand that you’ll get a great education no matter where you go. And as an out of stater, you’ll have a lot of debt no matter where you go as well. An extra $50,000 is a lot of money, and something you shouldn’t take lightly. Granted I haven’t actually calculated out the difference in cost of attendance out of state for Mississippi State vs Penn but it’s definitely a lot of money. Once you factor in the extra cost of tuition and cost of living, Penn just might not make sense to go to.
 
I accepted my offer and I’m in state so my experience is different than yours, but I have a friend at Mississippi State and she loves it. You have to understand that you’ll get a great education no matter where you go. And as an out of stater, you’ll have a lot of debt no matter where you go as well. An extra $50,000 is a lot of money, and something you shouldn’t take lightly. Granted I haven’t actually calculated out the difference in cost of attendance out of state for Mississippi State vs Penn but it’s definitely a lot of money. Once you factor in the extra cost of tuition and cost of living, Penn just might not make sense to go to.
Logically, I know all that. Just having a hard time letting go of going to Penn. But you're right, long term it won't matter!

Edit- where I go won't but yes, obviously the financial part will matter long term hence leaning towards MSU.
 
Logically, I know all that. Just having a hard time letting go of going to Penn. But you're right, long term it won't matter!

Edit- where I go won't but yes, obviously the financial part will matter long term hence leaning towards MSU.

I think you also need to think about where you will be happy. Vet school is extremely difficult and can be isolating since you are spending all of your time in class or studying. It is important to be in a place that you enjoy and feel comfortable in. You want to be at a school/location that fits your culture/vibe so that you have things around you to give you a balance. For me, I wanted to be in a city because I need things to be going on around me. I would have been miserable if I was at a school that was in a more rural location. These are just some things to take into account. Again, tuition and debt are a big factor but you also don't want to make vet school even more miserable or difficult for yourself. Also, you are going to have a burden of debt wherever you go, it's just the amount that changes.
 
Hi everyone! I found out I am #1 on the waitlist (woohoo!!) but I was wondering if only accepted students get financial aid information or what? I thought I would've had to have filled that out by now because I have for other schools but I haven't seen anything for Penn. I thought for sure they'd want it done before the April 15th date.
 
I think you also need to think about where you will be happy. Vet school is extremely difficult and can be isolating since you are spending all of your time in class or studying. It is important to be in a place that you enjoy and feel comfortable in. You want to be at a school/location that fits your culture/vibe so that you have things around you to give you a balance. For me, I wanted to be in a city because I need things to be going on around me. I would have been miserable if I was at a school that was in a more rural location. These are just some things to take into account. Again, tuition and debt are a big factor but you also don't want to make vet school even more miserable or difficult for yourself. Also, you are going to have a burden of debt wherever you go, it's just the amount that changes.
This has been my struggle because I do think all the things you mentioned are so important. So I've been left deciding between the quality of these 4 years and how much more I think I will get out of it vs yearssss of extra debt. It's just comparing apples to oranges. MSU is 80,000 for 4 years ( I got a contract seat and a scholarship) and Penn is 240,000 for 4 years, that's an absolutely insane amount of money. I wish the difference was smaller but unfortunately I think that amount of money, and knowing I can make the best of any school, kind of forces me into my decision. After weeks of agonizing, I think my mature adult decision needs to prevail.... Even though it's not near as exciting
 
Hi everyone! I found out I am #1 on the waitlist (woohoo!!) but I was wondering if only accepted students get financial aid information or what? I thought I would've had to have filled that out by now because I have for other schools but I haven't seen anything for Penn. I thought for sure they'd want it done before the April 15th date.
I haven't gotten any specific financial aid forms to fill out yet. I think once you accept a seat you do all of that. Also as you can see from this thread, I'm most likely giving up my OOS so best of luck to you!!!
 
I haven't gotten any specific financial aid forms to fill out yet. I think once you accept a seat you do all of that. Also as you can see from this thread, I'm most likely giving up my OOS so best of luck to you!!!
I do see that, I'm actually in the a similar situation with Penn and Tufts (penn being my IS and cheaper, but me liking Tufts campus way more). Alas, since I'm in state I don't think your seat would go to me anyway. Best of luck!!!
 
Hi everyone! I found out I am #1 on the waitlist (woohoo!!) but I was wondering if only accepted students get financial aid information or what? I thought I would've had to have filled that out by now because I have for other schools but I haven't seen anything for Penn. I thought for sure they'd want it done before the April 15th date.
I accepted my seat a while ago and haven’t gotten any financial aid stuff. I filled out everything on FAFSA before the priority deadline and listed Penn as my school but haven’t received anything aside from FAFSA’s confirmation that I filled everything out. I’ve heard that we get things closer to the beginning of the summer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted OOS but declining to go to my in-state! So someone will get off the waitlist! I wrote a funny story about the VMCAS and application season in general on my super small blog
Congrats on the scholarship from your IS! That really is awesome that you’re saving so much money and get to also go to a dream school of yours. In regard to something you said in your blog post, I honestly can say Rob is the king of easing your stress while also saying you’re the first person he’s ever seen do something. I didn’t finish my Bachelor’s (one class short) and I was stressing over and over, so I emailed him. He essentially said what he said to you. I also called him after I didn’t receive confirmation of my prerequisites being okay and he said I was good to go. He’s been a lifesaver.
 
I can't believe I'm saying this but even after a scholarship offer, I officially declined my OOS seat. As much as I wanted to justify Penn, the extra cost compared to my IS that also offered a scholarship was just not worth it (thanks to those who continually reminded me of that point). Good luck to all on the wait list and those attending this fall!!
 
I can't believe I'm saying this but even after a scholarship offer, I officially declined my OOS seat. As much as I wanted to justify Penn, the extra cost compared to my IS that also offered a scholarship was just not worth it (thanks to those who continually reminded me of that point). Good luck to all on the wait list and those attending this fall!!
Hey I'm in the exact same position!! Even after the scholarship offer I ultimately decided to be a mature adult and decline 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It looks like PennVet is back to full accreditation following the site visit that just happened this month. Woo!
Got accepted this morning, still can’t believe it!!! Can’t wait to meet you all!!
Finally picked a school and I'm coming to Penn!! Can't wait to meet you all 🙂

SO many new faces! We just got notifications for people who applied to be part of orientation. Looks like it will be a good crew this year. Excited to meet all of you in August!!
 
SO many new faces! We just got notifications for people who applied to be part of orientation. Looks like it will be a good crew this year. Excited to meet all of you in August!!

Yeah, I’m going to be an orientation leader, can’t wait to meet you all in August! Let us know if you have any questions! You’ll be getting tons of information through email in the next few months about forms and required books and equipment.
 
Does anyone know when we start the financial aid process? I figured it had to be soon but I wanted to get that started around when I apply for loans too.
 
Does anyone know when we start the financial aid process? I figured it had to be soon but I wanted to get that started around when I apply for loans too.
You should submit FAFSA ASAP. There is another process I believe for going directly through Penn though. But as far as FAFSA goes, submit all your stuff for it and they’ll reach out to you soon to let you know if they need anything else.
 
You should submit FAFSA ASAP. There is another process I believe for going directly through Penn though. But as far as FAFSA goes, submit all your stuff for it and they’ll reach out to you soon to let you know if they need anything else.
I submitted my FAFSA months ago maybe in February before I even interviewed, do you think I need to send it again?
 
Does anyone know if our undergrad transcripts will be used again (for scholarships at Penn, when applying for internships or residencies, etc.)?
 
Does anyone know if our undergrad transcripts will be used again (for scholarships at Penn, when applying for internships or residencies, etc.)?
That would depend on the internship/residency most likely. I did find one or two (one at Ohio State I believe) that required an undergrad transcript. But that seemed to be very uncommon. Most only were looking for vet school info.

I just got curious and looked on the match website at residencies and internships I would maybe be interested in in the future to gauge what they were looking for.
 
Ok thanks guys! I looked a little on the match website but couldn't tell if that requirement varied by program, so I'll go back and look again. I enrolled in a course that was a prereq for another school, but I don't need it since I've decided on Penn. I graduated in 2017 and work full time so I'd rather not put my time and effort into an unnecessary course, but I will if I'll need that transcript later for something... Idk just don't want to accidentally screw myself over
 
Hi, everyone!
I'm Mita. I'm currently taking my master program in Gadjah Mada University, Indonesia, majoring Linguistics. So, it's all about language.
Now, I'm doing a research on linguistics features in an online discussion forum. I found this thread interesting and chose it as my data. I read all the chats, 593 chats in total 🙂

I found that you guys use electronic discourse while chatting with the other users, such as the emoticons, the initialism LOL, the shortenings (feb, undergrads, etc.). This is what I am looking for :claps:

Firstly, I am writing this to ask your permission. Can I use this thread as my data source? I will analyze all of these chats but I will not mention your username. Secondly, how old are you guys? It relates on language style (factors affect the way you use language). I ask this question because when I read the chats, I found some of you wrote c/o 2023 while there were some users who wrote c/o 2022 or 2021 😳

Thank you so much. Hope hear your reply soon :angelic:

Best Regards,
Mita Rosari 🙂
You have my permission to use my replies, but I’m gonna tag a moderator on this one. @Lupin21
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have my permission to use my replies, but I’m gonna tag a moderator on this one. @Lupin21
That would be a no go, good buddy. We do not allow surveys or participate in outside research without specialized approval from the upper level SDN administration team. Our forums are kept to sharing of information only and do not want influx of these types of posts/threads distracting from our purpose.
 
That would be a no go, good buddy. We do not allow surveys or participate in outside research without specialized approval from the upper level SDN administration team. Our forums are kept to sharing of information only and do not want influx of these types of posts/threads distracting from our purpose.
Thanks the the response. I tagged you since I figured SDN had a policy like that. Thanks for the clarification!
 
Anyone check their financial aid section on PennInTouch and see that there’s only the Direct Unsub loan so far? Does it just take time to also get approved for the Grad Plus loan?
 
Anyone check their financial aid section on PennInTouch and see that there’s only the Direct Unsub loan so far? Does it just take time to also get approved for the Grad Plus loan?
Yeah, give it some more time. Same dealio on my end last and this year.